Options

BUPA Great North Run 2006

Comments

• Options
    Has Stoxy been on here yet? I do hope she's okay and enjoyed her run.
  • Options
    Norfolk Womble, congratulations on the top pink spot, 11 seconds ahead of me!

XL Man, any chance of a 1:55 pace band for Great Cumbrian! (& I promise i'll stick to the race plan :-))

• Options
    just home from work and lots of catching up to do which i'll do after my tea.

just wanted to say, after thinking about it a lot today i'm actually really sorry i moaned. yes it was frustrating being stuck in the car park queue not moving cos peeps were pushing in, and yes i was a little scared at one point when uncontrolable floods of people barged into the pen, but considering the amount of people doing this, they do a really good job organising it. and considering all the really good things that come out of this, the problems i had just dont matter at all. all the peeps who do this, who it is such a huge achievement for, all the money raised, all the peeps who start to lead a more healthy life cos of it, etc. i shouldn't have moaned :o)

and it was my fault i had a cr@p run for various reasons - although mile 10 - 13 was most enjoyable. all the races i've done over the last 12 months, i was probably due a not so good one!

and that lady who got out of her wheel chair has really touched me. what an amazing woman. i really wished i'd gone and spoken to her or something.
  • Options
    Jimmy Nail beat me by 5 minutes. Tsk

Have just been watching the coverage on my Sky+. That Findlay Young chap is amazing. His interview with Sue made me cry. I would love to meet him. Fancy doing 24 half marathons in 24 days all over the world and having cancer. Puts my daily humdrum moans to shame.

Hope you are all recovering well :-) xx
  • Options
    Great race - really enjoyed myself.

I was running with Minnie Mouse with the aim of getting her round in just under 2 hours. Sadly the heat took its toll and the suit + the long sleeved top she picked meant she struggled in 2nd half so we finished in just over 2:05.

It was fun tho and the support from the side was amazing.

The trip back to the hotel was a nightmare as I'm sure everyone has said - didn't get back to the car until 5:45! back to Edinburgh at 8:30 for chinese and a glass of red.

Enjoy running - until next year.....

Go well
  • Options
    O'd Findlay is amazing, one of the characters i mentioned in mytalk last year that got the kids interested. He doesn't have cancer now though. He was given the all clear in Sept 2003, to celebrate his first anniversary he ran 4 half marathons in 24 hours, on each in Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and finishing at the GNR. Then his cancer came back in 2005. I can't begin to imagine how that hit him. He was given th eall clear for a second time and ran the GNR again last year. As far as I know he is still clear and wanted to do this challenge to raise more funds and aareness. His weblog makes inspiring reading.

http://greatworldrun.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Thanks for the link XL, i will check it out x
  • Options
    Headsgone,
    would be happy to provide a pace guide for Cumbria. It's a very different course though, very flat. You might want to think about a more even pace throughout. There is certainly nothing like that 9-11 stretch at the GNR.

I've only done Cumbria once, but I think I would probably recommend a steady first half, then gradually wind it up for the second to get towards your target. I'll sort something out along these lines, but if you'd rather split it further let me know. What was your time to 8 miles yesterday?
  • Options
    jaggy - i can beat i live just outside hexham i i didnt get home til 5.30pm and i finished the race at 12.20pm!!!! honest

my wife and i cocked up big style with our arrangements and due to the mobile phone lines being busy i just couldnt get hold of her - nightmare!!!!

then once i did get in touch with her because i had been trying so many times my phone ran out of power! sods law! it was by complete luck that we met on the road to gateshead 6 miles out of south shields as i had started to run (i dont know why but it seemed a good idea as the metro was sooooo busy and i didnt know how to contact my wife all very funny now but i was a tad worried at the time) :-D

oh well it did mean i could take in the atmosphere even if i was a little worried!
  • Options
    XL, 73mins i think mins at mile 8, and 91mins at mile 10! Will be a bit more prepared aswell as longest run since March was only 10 miles. PS did 1st mile in 8.30 then struggled to pass people, best section felt like 6-8 miles

Forgot to mention the girl running in a thong, was tempting to slow the pace and just follow her to the finish!!

Waved at cameras behind Jonathon Edwards, no one taped the highlight show though, which he was presenting!!
  • Options
    Sprint to 7777 anyone!
  • Options
    Just had a look at Vicki's list. My prediction was sub 1:45:00. Finished in 1:44:57, not a bad guess.

First GNR and it was fantastic. Definately doing it next year. The atmosphere was brilliant. High fives, beer & hosepipes.......Great.
  • Options
    PR1965 - love your forum piccie!
  • Options
    Headsgone, just looked back at your figures, you said you were 1:31 at 10 miles and feeling OK, that included the tough 9th mile. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to repeat that at Carlisle. And you will probably find it easier.

How does this sound ?

Miles 1-5 @ 8:50/mile = 0:44:10
    Miles 6-8 @ 8:50/mile = 1:10:40
    Miles 9-11 @ 8:45/mile = 1:36:55
    Final leg @ 8:30/mile = 1:54:46
  • Options
    Running Cat - what a fantastic picture!! - I'd be chuffed to bits if I was mick !
  • Options
    Mandie - Cheers. I was "educating" the young toon fans on the way round and got some funny replies. I've never seen so many Black & White shirts, the washing machines in Newcastle must be on all night cos I think they wear them everyday.
  • Options
    and also the Scottish Sikhs - top marks to them - I passed them and thought how hot they must have been with their head gear on - well done!!!!
  • Options
    and all night too PR 1965
  • Options
    Hi all and a massive well done to everyone who took part in this years GNR.

Did anyone have any difficulties getting from the finish to the start before the race?

I got on one of the buses at 9:30 to get to the start. But after spending 45 mins on the bus riding round a number of housing estates we were then taken to a Metro station and told to get off. Myself and 2 bus loads squeezed on to the train and arrived at the start at 10:45 after a sprint from the Metro station. Not the best preperation for 13.1 miles.

Completed the course in 1:58:48, 8 mins slower than my normal half marathon.

Sorry for the moan. I still had a fantastic day and will be back again next year.
  • Options
    Running Cat - great photo, pity the tutu was missing though!! Now that would have been a sight - and probably cooler too!!

Mick take a note - I must wear a tutu in warm weather!!
  • Options
    By the way, that should read for Mick to wear the tutu not me!!!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, first GNR Finished in 1:40:45 which i was a bit disappointed with to be honest - but its my first ever 1/2 marathon and really enjoyed the day.
    Got to 4 miles in 27min 40 sec and the half way point at 46 min 02sec, then faded really badly at about 9 miles. Might have something to do with those hills at 9 and 11 miles which XL kindly told me about.
    It was really hot 20°C they flashed up on the screen at the half way point and I even got a sunburnt - but in shape of my running vest!!!
  • Options
    Sarah Whittaker-Gilbey: Just wanted to say that I'm sure loads of people were dishonest on their forms with predicted times, etc, but there also seemed to be a fairly random allocation of colours by the organisers ~ I put 2:30 as my predicted and got a green number, as did another runner I know, whilst two friends who put sub-2:00 ended up behind us in orange (I say "behind" ~ i actually got nowhere near the green pen, despite getting there for 10am as advised, and ended up climbing over the lower barrier at the far far end of pink, took about 30 mins to get to the start from there).
    So those poor folk holding the faster runners up may not be at fault for ending up in a faster colour zone than they were up to. I was mortified to get green when I know I was never going to get anywhere near a green time, so its probably just as well that I had to go so far back to get in!
  • Options
    GOTH:
    I noticed on the Metro that passengers couldn't get on the train when it is close to City Centre. It would be useful to setup a list of issues we found, so next year before the GNR we post the list again to make sure people are aware of different potential problems. For example,
    Metro
    - if you are close to City Centre, you might find it hard to get onto the train in the morning because it is likely to be packed.
    - It can take 20 mins walk from Haymarket Metro station to the starting.

Taxi
    - if you stay in a hotel and travel to Metro in the morning by taxi, book your taxi the night before.

Bus service
    - unreliable on the race day?

Car park
    - if you want to leave early, don't park in the car park at the finish. Park somewhere else (recommendation anyone?)

• Options
    XL I heard the Alan Robson comment to the mother as well but did not interpret it as being quite as bad as it appeared to you (but not saying that I heard it right) - but I think that someone must have pointed it out to him because he definitely made the point later on that just running for yourself was as good a reason as any!

Regarding the pens I think that it was better than previous years - and the barriers need to be that big or it is not worth it - if the lower ones were in use it would have been a farce.

But I accept that I was in the correct pen for my time - I think that one thing to be sure of for anyone entering next year is to ensure that you complete your predicted time clearly (and honestly)
  • Options
    but I still had to run past people for the first couple of miles who ought to have started in pens further back
  • Options
    does anyone know what time scott maslen from the bill finished in? i was less than a mile behind him at 6 miles, and if he set off at the front i started 25min behind him but i didnt see him!

i cant find his time in the list so maybe he uses a stage name or didnt finish?
  • Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Hi all - just got home after flight home to Gatwick. Haven't read through the 300ish posts since yesterday, only the last two pages. I thought the start was much better than last year - I put 1:50 on my entry as my PB was 1:49:12 and got a green number which was correct. Managed a new PB of 1:46:20, and didn't have any problems with slower runners. Marshalls were excellent in enforcing the colour coding of the pens. My 17-year old son, Daniel, ran 1:46:58 in his first Half. My only grumble - wore my green ribbon but didn't see one other runner wearing theirs!