Options

Taunton Marathon

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Whichway now>. Sorry that may have been me. Will try better next time. I was sited at White Horse pub in Bradford. Only lame excuse is that I have the frailties of being human :-(
    I was on my post at 10 and remained until the last runner came through, even when stood down(as a 5+ marathon runner myself I know the slower runners also need more our support).
    Apart from 'playing' with the traffic my duties erred when cars ignored me (and the police with me), members of the public 'running' in front of runners and spectators blocking the roads, even a dog tried to 'eat' one of the runners as he passed (asked to control his dog better). I also had to field the many public questions including time of arrival of runners and what was on (my taunton marathon vest not being a good giveaway!).
    The whole experience of marshall was stressful however a job that has to be done. If you are not running for whatever reason why not volunteer for marshal duties either here or at your local race?
    If anybody here has any complaints then please speak up. Tell us if we have failed to meet your expectations and we will endevour to improve next time.
    Lastlap>Good point I am aware of an earlier start system, unofficially, in place at several runs.
  • Options
    Like Luton?

I will come and do this if there is an early start
  • Options
    Well done to everyone who ran. My lurgy took a turn for the worse at the weekend and I woke Saturday morning with my legs aching as though I'd spent the whole night running a marathon! Neolithic is now my target.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    sir sqrl - I hate to admit it but I only marshalled for the FIRST TIME last year - I do loads of events and always try and thank the marshalls - in bad weather I know where I would rather be! we should all take a turn at it if we can - then everyone will know what it's like . . . . .

I was thrown in the deep end as it was a triathlon and I was on the cycle route ... it was very difficult, I was in two different places for a total of about two hours - not five, dealing with traffic and fast bikes, I was exhausted! I only offered cos I knew they hadn't got enough help - and I knew I hadn't done enough training to do it that year

We just have to remind ourselves there would be no events without LOADS of volunteer helpers THANKYOU TO ALL OF YOU

(Here follows most of my post on the Dartmoor Discovery thread - sorry if you've read it already!!)

Dunnarunner - you poor (not as old me) thing!!

I did the classic "running too fast" in the first half at Taunton - you would think I'd know better! so I missed the cut-off, by 12 mins in fact, had a dreadful second half, wont bore you with the details!!

I met quite a few people (some old friends, some new) doing the Half, so ran happily along with them (sweating too much, a good indication of wrong pace, but I ignored it) - and felt "not quite right" by Mile 14 - in fact desperate for my energy drink which I'd left at mile 3-4 water stn, - mile 16-17 on the second lap. And it was so lonely! There was a strong westerly blowing for 5 miles on each lap, that was pretty tough on the second lap!

I was told my time when I finished (4:42:10, very pleased actually, it's just the "cut-off" gets in your head and makes you think you've failed - and that's DAFT!)
    I said I need to have confirmation that I did in fact complete the marathon and in that time, so spoke to the Race Director and he said he will send me something

I'm not doing Neolithic! although I intend to do LONG training that weekend, might split the miles during the day or even over 2 days (it worked for Duchy - 4 wks before I ran 5+ miles to meet up with club members for 16+ miles, then after an hour, tea & toast, ran the 5 miles home)

If anyone is interested I have got an article that recommends last long run 4 weeks or a month before, concentrating on strength & speedwork in the last 4 wks,
  • Options
    paskha - you certainly did not fail. 4:30 is a stupidly low cut-off time. Besides, you raised the bar for yourself by running such a great time in difficult conditions at the Duchy.

There's a lot of sense in your startaegy of last long run 4 weeks before, it's just that we all get paranoid that we haven't done enough!
  • Options
    I see the results are on the official race web site - they go down to 4:36, so you're just missed off, paskha.
  • Options
    A big thank you to the marshalls and organisers. I felt really sorry for some of the marshalls in the more exposed places.

This was my first marathon and I thought that I knew what to expect, how wrong I was. I breezed through the first half in 2.01 and was well sorted for my anticipated finish time of between 4 and 4.10. Went through 19 miles at bang on three hours and then lost my thighs on the descent after the 20 mile water station. I think that battling into the wind and rain from 16 to 19 had taken more out of me than I thought. From when I lost my legs it really was a battle to get to the end, I had it in my mind that the 4.30 cutoff meant no medal or tee-shirt as well. I pushed myself beyond my known limits and struggled over the line in 4.30.16 on my watch, 4.30.40 on theirs. They gave me a medal, I burst into tears, I've never done anything so hard in all of my life. The way confidence turned into despair turned into disappointment turned into relief turned into satisfaction was unreal. Such an emotional rollercoaster.

To all the marshalls who offered encouragement - thank you, to the first aiders who asked me if I was allright and let me continue - thank you.

Slight disappointment in the fact that there were no tee shirts left but they are going to post one to me. The showers were fantastically hot.
  • Options
    Sir sqrl - Indeed a big thankyou to all the marshalls, at some points it did really look a very stressfull job e.g. Controlling the single track bridge crossing the river Tonne at Bradford-on-Tonne, a job very well done.
  • Options
    last lap>...very easy to run a marathon :-) but very hard to marshal however I deem it my duty as a runner to serve. Left arm has dropped off due to the pointing I remembered to do, bladder ruptured due to no time to have a 'pee' and mind traumatised due to worry for 'my charges'.
    I was fully windproofed with running gear so 'enviromentally confortable' but my chair kept blowing away :-( (rarely time to use it though).
    Dragon Breath> us runners do appear to be an emotional lot??-you describe the typical 'runners hyper' felt on passing the finish line.
    I am now worried over the 6hr cut off time in Three forts marathon. Need speed training :-(

• Options
    Hello Guys and Gals! Are there any result list out yet as I am not sure if the marathon website link is working. Maybe it is being updated.
    THanks all.
  • Options
    WhichWay
    Results are on the new official Taunton Marathon site:
    www.tauntonmarathon.co.uk

I also did the classic of first half too fast (1:36) so it got tricky from 18 onwards, struggled home in 3:25:50 - almost 2 minutes slower than last year! Daft waste of a lot of training really, but on the positive side we kept the team cup and I beat my trainig partner.

Thought organisation, marshalls & police were all great.
  • Options
    200m personally I think the nature of this race makes it very hard to do negative splits. The first half you half loads of runners doing the half, who themselves have run the first seven miles too fast, and its very easy to build up too much momentum getting yourself involved in the half marathon.

Once the second half kicked in I felt that there was little to aim for, you really need to be ultra motivated to push yourself on especially into a strong headwind to maintain your pace.

My wife who was at the finish area said that the marathon winner was just behind the half winner at 13.1 miles, so he lost nearly 30 minutes on the second half, albeit still finishing five minutes ahead of the rest of the field.
  • Options
    200 minutes. www.tauntonmarathon.co.uk does not work for me. Is anybody else getting the same problem as I'd love to see the results!! I think I finished in 3 hrs 28min. Number 177.
  • Options
    They gave you 3.29.06, 46th male, 53rd overall.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    200m - sorry to hear you didn't make your target time - you'll just have to enter another one!
    You know you can do that 200 mins
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Well done Dragon Breath!! Thanks for the report

last lap - I really think it is very hard to set off to run a marathon with almost everyone around you running at Half-M pace

the idea of an early start for some - if not ALL marathon runners - would sort it

However, there could be overtaking problems . . . as the faster marathoners would lap the slower half-marathoners, so suggest an early start for about 30 to 50 of us slower marathoners?

there are quite a lot of events with laps or different distances and the fastest front runners just get on with it - running on any routes with vehicles and pedestrians - another runner is not your biggest problem, as long as they think before they suddenly stop!
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone knows John who ran on Sunday? He is training for the comrades in SA and we chatted to him a bit (me Debs, and my friend, Boots) on the way round. If anyone here knows him please say hi! I think he finished in just under 4:20.

Cheers :-)
  • Options
    Hi shades how are you?
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Dunnarunner - Thankyou for your encouragement!!

Just out of interest, here are my Half-M splits:

Duchy - 2:11, 2:17

Taunton - 2:07, 2:34 (25 secs to the start!)

We had that cold cold Easterly at Duchy, but not for SO MANY MILES as the strong Westerly at Taunton

and I reckon, if you run the first half too fast by, say, 4 mins, you'll lose TWICE that AT LEAST in the second half, plus possible objections from muscles!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hi WWN - I'm fine, thanks.
    Haven't seen you yet this year, what races have you got planned?
  • Options
    I too managed to pace myself badly. Whoever said that running with the Half Marathoners was half the problem was right - even though I kept trying to slow myself down I kept doing sub 8 miles for the first 6 or 7 miles. I wanted under 3.37/38, but only got a 3.41.
    Has anyone experience of Taunton times to London? I am doing the FLM this year - my halfs (Bideford (1.39) and Blackmore Vale (1.42)) indicated 3.30ish - but thats 10 minutes away!
  • Options
    Richard >> I did Taunton for the first time this year in 3:21, and I did FLM in 2002 and 2003 (3:37 and 3:40) but I'm not sure how valid the comparisons would be. FLM ought to be easier but I know that a lot of runners in my club are disappointed with the times they get there compared to other marathons. I was doing 1:33 halves when I did my 3:40, so your prediction of a 3:30 marathon from a 1:39 half seems optimistic.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd have my twopennorth on how well organised this marathon was. It was my first ever marathon having only ever done two halves before. Lots of changing space, a decent tannoy system where you could actually hear what people were saying, and brilliant and enthusiastic marshalls, particularly on the second lap.

Like many others, I think I went off too quickly with the halfers, but I still got home in just over 3h 40m. Will definitely be back next year for this.
  • Options
    Thanks Jerry, I did mean 3.30's, rather than 3.30ish. I thought if I could get under 3.40 at Taunton I could relax at London.
    I guess its also how well individuals do at different distances, I am still trying to decide if I should concentrate on a certain distance, rather than trying at a few.
    Anyway, in 3 weeks time I'll know....
  • Options
    Shades - I have Dart/m 32 ultra in june and the famous 52 mile challenge! I loved it last year. I may run Tewkesbury half and Avesbury to Stonehenge marathon. I am also in the great north. Hopefully I will cram a few more in!!!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WWN - I'll see you at the two ultras then!
  • Options
    You take care shades. Any idea on how Mick and Phil got on at Glos 100k? Oh and I did spot Hippo at Draycote 35. Gobi was there too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WWN - check out Glos Ultra thread (under Ultra section). It was so windy at the 100k that they didn't complete marathon distance but they were happy with their day.

You can hear Gobi - even if you don't see him!
  • Options
    Thanks Shades. See you soon.