Options

Stamford Striders St Valentine 30k

Comments

• Options
    Got my number this morning. Methinks it's time we started a list, so here goes:

Infernal Running Machine - #312 - will be wearing Shaftesbury H club vest (black and white stripes) - aiming to get under 2.30
  • Options

TIRM, if you were under 1:50 at Folksworth, you are giving yourself over 40 minutes for an additional 3.66 miles. Seems a bit generous to me.

I set myself sub 1:50 at Folksworth and am looking for sub 2:15 here.

#179.

Just read the bad weather clause on the instructions. I can't recall having seen this before for other races. Has anyone else?
  • Options
    So here you all are !!!!!!!!!

Did this in 3.00 3 years ago

Nice and undulating

Can't make it this time though !!

too much on

Brands Hatch half Saturday

Wokingham Half Sunday
  • Options
    Infernal Running Machine - #312 <2:30
    billo #179 <2:15
    Mrs Overall #311 <2:30
  • Options
    He's a bit better now thanks Mick, ready to smash his 10k PB apparently!
  • Options
    Are you doing two halfs on consecutive days then? Fun!
  • Options
    Yeh

easy as alway's

never had so much fun

it'll be our 4 th time at two half's on consecutive day's, well no , 3 , as one was a full and a half

Brill ahh

i've not felt so good in a long time !!!
  • Options
    Oh my word! You must get through some food :-D

Yes, BRILL!
  • Options
    Yes Mrs O

I eat a lot

But, i'm happier than i've been for a long time !!!

feeling so fit, so good

all down to running
    And sharing it with Phil

say hello to Mr O
    xx
  • Options
    Hurrah!! Will do, he's just finished the ironing!

x
  • Options
    hammerite #247 <2:30
  • Options
    MRF #??? - about 2:45 I hope
  • Options
    Billo:

Well spotted! The explanation for the difference between the two times is:

1. I have done both races several times, so appreciate the differences in the two courses.

2. More importantly, I shall be racing the day before Stamford. My club Shaftesbury Harriers are going to win the Metropolitan League cross country title on that day for the first time for 20 years and I want to be part of it.

See you at Stamford

TIRM
  • Options
    <evil cackle />
    Just to add to the fun, I've clocked an entry from a chap who estimates he's going to do it in 1h 10min......
    I don't think he's done it before; maybe he thinks Lincolnshire is all flat.....
    or maybe it was a typo....
    but Algie's getting worried he'll have to fork out the prize for smashing the course record, heheheh.

strider
    <~~ loves winding Algie up

• Options
    Perhaps the guy who's going to do the race in 1hr 10mins is the lead cycle/car ? He just needs to be reminded that he has to wait for all the runners !
  • Options
    MRF

Can i ask you

You said you said hello at Fokes 15

Now i 've got my memory thinking

There are two guy's i see quite a lot who say hello etc

one has dark hair as tall as me, with a west Mids accent

The other , slightly shorter, slightly more build, with fair to ginger hair ????

Are you one of them
    i suspect you probably are

• Options
    Aragorn - the current men's world record for 30K is 1:28:00, run by Takayuki Matsumiya last year, and even the great Haile Gebrselassie has 'only' managed 1:28:57, so I think 1:10 is probably a typo! Either that or he thinks it's a half marathon...
  • Options
    Number came today #400

Ran this in 2002 & 2003 and is arguably slightly hillier than Folksworth

Hoping for sub 2.10 if all goes well and the weather is kind

Updated list

MRF #??? - about 2:45 I hope
    John T #400 <2:10
  • Options
    John

Yes , also it's a nice distance

half marathon's etc, are great, but at times you want that bit extra !!

At least we do !!

But can't alway's push Phil every week around a full
  • Options
    Going for a practise run of it tomorrow morning. Gulp. Am hoping it'll ease the memories of last year :-D
  • Options
    Katie S - LOL, yes, I'm sure it's a typo....but shhhhhhhh!!!! don't tell Algie that!

Strider
  • Options
    Hi Mrs O. I had a practice run over the course yesterday too - it was quite icy and slippy wasn't it. I took it very slow, and even so it still felt tough - it certainly doesn't get any easier no matter how many times you run it does it?

But having been out of commissionfor a couple of weeks, and having to miss Folksworth, I was really pleased to have been able to get round the course. Although I ran it last year, each time I have run it for training purposes I have had to cut it short - that corner at Great Casterton where you turn and head past the college is definitely by "Bogey" corner - there is always the temptation to cut it short and just head back into Stamford, so I was really pleased yesterday to turn the corner and be halfway back along the road to Tolethorpe before I thought about having got past the corner without even t hinking about cutting it short.

Looking forward to seeing you all on the 12th - two weeks from now and we'll be congregating at the start - hope its a bit warmer than it is here today... brrr.
  • Options
    Hi RB

No it doesn't get ANY easier - I'm sorry to say but I really don't like it but it DOES make a marathon seem an attractive prospect! That said though, it was a beautiful day and good to be out there. It would've been good to get together. I ran with a friend and we always say how tough training runs are but when you race the same course somehow it's not AS bad, still bad enough though!

Luckily I'm spatially challenged so I didn't think about a shortcut back into Stamford at that corner - but now I know... :-D Well done for getting past it anyway. Yes it was so icy, we were worried about cars taking bends too fast and crashing in to us!

We started at about 9.30 (what time did you set off?) and it took us a while - 2:47 (we planned to take it quite easy) but I ran in new orthotics and have ended up with what I think is a grade 2 groin strain and can't even walk today so it's off to physio in morning.
  • Options
    We started about 8.30. My left hip is very stiff today - took the dogs out for a walk and it felt OK while I was out but now I have got back and sat down it has stiffened up a bit. Hopefully will be OK for a hill session tomorrow.

Hope your trip to the physio tomorrow does the trick.

Where do you live, are you local to Stamford - have I asked you that before?

• Options
    We were going to go at 8.30 but got delayed, so would've bumped in to you. Well it just shows you can't expect to do the 30k with no effects!

I live in Stilton and am a member of Yaxley Runners. Did the F15 last weekend so may be too much for a gal my age!
  • Options
    Yaxley Runners always put on a fanstastic race at Folksworth. I was really sad at not being able to run this year, but went along to support our club runners who all had a good run. But I`ll be there next year all being well.

F15 last weekend, plus 30K this weekend - that's a tough schedule Mrs O but presumably you won't do to much next weekend - I`m planning to do the Frostbite League race at Bourne Woods - nice 5 mile blast through the woods on Sunday morning. And then a relatively easy week tapering for the 30K.
  • Options
    Cheers RB! I only joined Yaxley last year as I never fancied club running. I didn't run with them til the autumn but they're such a great bunch, so friendly, I'm really glad to be a member. Love F15, I find it has a nice atmosphere but I'm prob biased!

I'm doing Bourne Frostbite too - injury allowing! But no long run next weekend - hurrah! Will also be tapering pre 30k, and eating alot :-D Am normally quite a healthy eater but I came straight home from the 30k practise and wolfed down a Snickers bar then had chinky for supper. It just had to be done.

Hope your hip's a bit better.
  • Options
    I yes

We love the F 15 as well !!!!!!!!!!