Options

Stamford Striders St Valentine 30k

Comments

• Options
    Brill!! We're having a F15 'feedback' night tomorrow, so I'll pass it on that you liked it.

What's your next race MnP?
  • Options
    Hi Mrs O

You can tell Gary from me,

Thank you so much for making us welcome

and we had a perfect day at F 15

Everything about it from arriving to Leaving was perfect !!

Today we did Lliswerry 8 mile 68 mins

Then,

5 th Feb Watford half

11 Feb Brands Hatch Half
    12 Feb Wokingham Half

19 Feb Bramley 20

26 Feb GNW Blackpool Half

5 March Gloucester 20

12 March Stafford 20

19 March Ashby 20

26 March Islwyn Half

2 April Part of 100k

8 April Crawley Track marathon
    9 April Reading half

And so on

Has MR O finished that ironing yet LOL ROFL

Bee good ahh

Ultra Fit Mick
  • Options
    I will do.

Good time for your 8 mile today but crikey, sure you can't fit a couple of ultras in somewhere?! :-D

Ha ha! Yes he's just finished another basketful actually, poor thing.

Tara!
  • Options
    Living in Lincolnshire I don't get to run hills. Did the Bungay marathon last April and suffered because of this. Hill wise, how does this compare to Bungay - anybody done both?
  • Options
    I wouldn't say any of the hills are that fierce, they just keep coming, and over 18-odd miles that makes it tough
  • Options
    Fenland Plodder - I live in Cambridgeshire and have similar issues with hills. Serves us right for living in the middle of a big bog really!

I attempted Bungay last April too, but I'd had food poisoning for all of Friday and Saturday and only made it to 14 miles before deciding I'd like a marshal to take me back to race HQ. Running a long way when you've not managed to hold onto any solids or fluids for 48 hours is a bad plan. I should've known better I suppose, but all my friends convinced me that the upset tummy was just nerves and I'd be OK once I got going. I wasn't. Fortunately there was another marathon I could do 3 weeks later so my training didn't go to waste, and I got a PB :-)
  • Options
    Fenland Plodder

Hi yu pal

if it's of any help

i've pushed Phillip around Stamford in 3 hours,
    And, Bungay Marathon in 4.15

I think we did them in 2003, I would say Stamford is much tougher from memory

They are both great races though

Bungay only has 3 minor incles between 1 to 4 and 14 to 17, cos of the 2 laps

Katie

i don't see what you did wrong,
    Sometimes you can pull through thing's, i know i've done it over the years !!

But you had the sence at 14 miles to say enough

takes a bit of courage that !!

i still kick myself to this day

i knew Blackpool marathon, was late starting, when we came to start at 43 mins late i should have swapped to the half, but i did'nt

So , we withdrew at 15 ,

best of luck to you
  • Options
    Well I'm glad someone else said that first! I do think Stamford is a tough one but don't want to put people off as it is a nice race.

I think it's a brave decision to pull out of a race, sometimes you have to do as your body tells you, regardless of the head. All runners would understand that. I had food poisoning at Christmas, it 'knocks you up' very badly, there;s no way I could've raced for a few days afterwards, in fact I didn't do the Ely10k because of it. And the PB was a great side-effect!
  • Options
    yes Mrs O

Stamford to memory is tough, but there's no crime in saying that

perhap's people shopuld go and have a bash at it

I can tell you all,

I ( even pushing Phillip ) get bl**dy fed up of easy flatish to undulating races, i like a real good work out at it

You don't have to go mad, just nice and easy, Super country side, my goodness, what more could people want !!!

We can't get enough of it !!

i could have easily have done the Roman 12k at home,

But no, i drove all the way for F 15

And i've no regret's what so ever either !!
  • Options
    Fenland Plodder - the hills in the 30K are tough - I think the hardest thing is that there is no real level running so it is hard to get into a steady rhythm - you are always either running up hill or downhill, and the down hills never seem to help you as much as the uphills hinder you - why is that!!

But one you have finished the race you get a great sense of achievement and a great confidence boost. If you can do the 30K, you will be fine for the marathon so long as you keep up the work level. Hope you will come along - we would love to see you.

Love running.... love the 30k!
  • Options
    Running babe

I wish we could get back to Stamford for the 30k, Hills or no hill's, to have a crack at that 3.00

We've got that weekend Brands hatch half Saturday, and Wokingham half Sunday

Funny thing, Running babe,
    You saying to Plodder about, if you can do the 30k you'll be fine for the marathon,

Cos, i got into such a rythum that day 2003 it was, i remember thinking , i could have got round a full today

Goodness me , it makes you feel good

Your so right about one thing

LOVE RUNNING

LONG LIVE DISTANCE RUNNING

it's fetched me back from the depth's of suicide ( with Phillip's illness and disability )

Mick

If my memory surves me rightly, it starts and finishes at a school or something goes through a housing area, and the bit of rural you go out, you come back on that last bit

Am i right !!!

I think Pat Reed still takes his young daughter in her buggy on it

Course see, Phillip and wheelchair now combined, what ?? 10 stone +
  • Options
    Running Babe, i've codged things up a little there i think

But you struck a cord there you know !!

if only you knew, what you've said

Those word's

Love running

They are our whole life

Gosh if only you knew !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    RB, yes you've hit it on the head, it's all ups and downs, like a roller coaster but yes, certainly a fine sense of achievement.

MnP why not forget Brands Hatch and Wokingham and come and love the Stamford 30k?!

• Options
    Hi O

i'm sorry

i'd love to

Don't ask me why , i don't know

There's no race out there, that i'm afraid of,

but it's just the way it is you know

But just think what RB said

LOVE RUNNING

tell them before they start, that Mick n Phil will come back one year and show them how it's done,

bee good now

i'm preparing for watford half !!
  • Options
    Oh alright, will let you off!

You be good too - (I'm still glad I don't have to feed you, it'd cost a fortune!)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I'd already applied for the race and my number came yesterday. I've done a fair bit of cycling since the Bungay marathon so am hoping this might help a little with the hills. See you there!
  • Options
    MickNPhil - we would love to see you back at the 30K - maybe next year, uh?

You're right about the race starting and finishing at the school - a lap of the school playing field to finish, as has previously been mentioned on this thread - its a bit of a killer at the end of the race, but at least you know then you've almost made it. From the start it goes through the houses for about 1.5 K before getting out onto the country roads - the last 5K retraces your steps to bring you back to the school - so the vast majority of the race is out on the country roads and is really quite scenic.

I'm not sure about Pat Reed and daughter - will enquire and let you know.

Entries are flooding in this year even faster than last year I think - the race seems to get more popular with each year - so we are hoping for a record entry for 2006.
    Fingers Crossed now for the weather. Not too windy is my prayer - most other conditions I can cope with but the wind really brings me to a full stop - I think due to not having too much weight on me to help me fight against the force of the wind.

Anyway, not long to go now - 12 days.

Love Running.... Love the 30K
  • Options
    Hi running Babe

Your so kind

yeh, may be next year

30 k is great

Half's are for wimps !!!

LOL
  • Options
    Hi 30k runners. Can anyone tell me if the course is marked in miles, kms or both? Trying to work out target split times... kilometres seem easier for the mathematically challenged like me!
  • Options
    Doh! If only I'd looked at the race details. Kilometres it is, then. Sorry!
  • Options
    RB/Algie or any other Stamford peeps. I have a mate who is thinking of running this, but not sure (I've already entered!). He has a race this weekend and wants to see how much it will take out of him before entering.

How are entries going? Do you forecast that there will be EOD's allowed? Or will the race limit be reached in advance?

Cheers!
  • Options
    Hammerite: entries are going well but given that there are always a number of pre-entries who don't turn up on the day, there will be no problem with on the day entries. Hope your mate feels OK after this weekend's race so that we see him next Sunday.
    Love running... Love the 30K
  • Options
    Hammerite would that someone happen to be a certain Two Towels? Strange as I was only looking on here to see if the race is full or likely to be!
  • Options
    Yes Kaza that someone would be Two Towels!!
  • Options
    Simply LOVE running

Simply LOVE 30k,

But i'm afraid not this year !!

We are just too busy

You all enjoy it

Mick
  • Options
    New to this forum stuff, thought i'd give it a go.
    I'm in the middle of a flu virus so won't be runnning on sunday which is dissapointing cos i've been looking forward to this race for ages.
    A mate of mine is still running so i'll come along to support. Is it possible to cycle the route without getting in the way of other runners, or are there short cuts to various points on the course?
  • Options
    Entered online but not received any details or race number.

Is anyone else waiting?
  • Options
    Entered on line and it took about a week. If you've been waiting much longer than that you might want to email them. There's an address or phone number somewhere in this thread I think.
  • Options
    Hi Rob

yes mate i'm waiting

But only for the starter gun

LOL LOL

bee good rob