Options

FLM 2006: closer to 4:00 than 4:30

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic news ST! Hope Mr ST has makes a speedy recovery.

Brent, I need to keep moving after LSR's. If I just sit down for 5 minutes I find it hard to move again!
  • Options
    Good news ST & glad to hear mr ST is doing good. I found after the 19 miler i was very tired after the run, but i had kids over & that can be hard work, but this Sunday i felt ok & no kids over, i think it depends on how well i sleep a couple of nights before, this week end i slept better than last week. I dont normally need to sleep. If you need a bed after the FLM brent you can use mine if you like as im staying over until Monday as well, got a re-run off Marathon on Sunday afternoon with buffet. Should be a good way to relax, then depending on legs i going to have a look round london on Monday before leaving at 3.00pm
  • Options
    Brent - I wish i got the chance. My husband does sometimes but the kids usually don't let me.
  • Options
    I love my post LSR naps, but this weekend after the 23 I didn't get one because my sister is in town and I had to take her and her husband to a Luton Town match. I didn't feel as bad as I was anticipating though.

Just got back from a disappointing run. We were going to do 7-8, but both my running partner and I felt like our legs were made of lead and couldn't find our rhythm so we only managed 5. I told her we were just getting our bad run out of the way before the big day!
  • Options
    Naps - today was the first time I've ever done an LSR early in the morning, its usually on sunday afternoon, finishing about 5pm so I don't have long to wait til bedtime. I have to say, by 4pm today I was drooping seriously and felt like pushing hubby over and climbing into hospital bed beside him for a sleep. Don't think the staff would be impressed so I settled for a head down on the edge for 10mins!!! Legs are good but the rest of me is screaming 'sleep now'. At least I found out that my legs will work in the mornings so should be ok for 23rd.
    Thanks for all the good wishes - he'll be chuffed when I tell him.
    Full steam ahead now for a BIG restful taper!! School hols on friday as well - GREEAAAT.
  • Options
    ST- Good to hear Mr ST is doing well. Hope he's soon back on his feet.

You get a large plastic bag for your possessions at the expo with your number. You put your post race things in here, room for tracksuit, shoes, phones, keys etc. You have a sticky copy of your race number to put on this and on Sunday morning you find the lorry taking the appropriate numbers (eg 1,000-12,000, then 12001-14,000) These lorries are provided by TNT. There are so many bags they are all piled on the lorries and are very safe. You can't get the bag back without the corresponding race number. Once you clear the finish line and walk past all the lorries- and they are colour coded remember (red, green and blue numbers), there are spotters out trying to help you find your bag quickly. It's well organised and they are well practised. Hope this information helps all you FLM virgins.

If you get a chance, go for a nap. I'm shattered just now and yet my weekly mileage hasn't really changed. I managed a nap on Saturday and it really helped.
    YD several of my running mates are finding it hard to complete the midweek run just now, I think mentally we want to taper now and we are tired af this huge committment to training. We're nearly there now.

Happy running
    DC
  • Options
    Morning all,

I generally don't do naps after my LSR's but definately go to bed much earlier than normal. I also find that during the week I get quite tired by lunch time, but a quick 10 minutes of shut-eye gives me a nice boost for the rest of the day.
    Went out for a 6miler last night but it just wasn't working out very well. Everything seemed to hurt - my legs - my back - my stomach - my feet - my head!! Decided to just do 3 and call it quits, no point in killing myself. I think my body can sense it's almost the big day and it's preparing itself.

P.S have just uploaded new pic - will see how long it takes for RW to give it the OK...
  • Options
    ran for an hour last night, slow paced as went cross country for a bit of it & it was quite wet in places, think the leader wants me to sprain an ankle or something (joking).
    very slow pace but comfortable with that at this stage.
    I get tired at about 10.30 most mornings at work, going to bed a bit earlier last few nights, certainly feel better for that.
    not long now for us all, then we can sleep a lot more
  • Options
    My training guide appears to be rubbish.

Due to injury I haven't trained much in March so have decided to do a LSR on Saturday and then 2 week taper. Could any of you have had the same problems or are doing the same short taper send me their final 2 weeks training guide please. Was aiming for just under 4 hours but realistically now more like 4:20

Shaved 20 secs off my 5 mile this morning (39:30), probably shouldn't have gone for it but need some sort of confidence boost given the longest I've run in the last 6 weeks is a half marathon!!!

Look forward to your feedback
  • Options
    Thank goodness that I'm not the only one NOT being able to do the prescribed run distances. Only managed 4.6 on Tuesday (not 5) so not much guilt, but only managed 6.5 of the 8 last night! Also the run times appear to be getting slower and slower - a month ago I was running a minute a mile quicker...where's it gone? Reading half this weekend and I wanted to go sub 2 hours and at this rate I'll be doing 2.05! A bit depressing really - running for Cancer Research UK and put on a fundraiser on saturday and raised about £1700 (!) with £3700 raised to date so that also adds to my guilt as I think I'm slacking!!! Someone give a proverbial kick please and reasurance both at the same time please?!
  • Options
    Paul,

I was plagued by bad shin splints/calf problems all along and lost some time so I am also on a short taper. Here is my plan

Tonight- 9
    Friday-bike 20 min
    Saturday 20-21 miles
    sunday rest

mon-4 fast/weights
    Tuesday-9 miles pace
    wed. weights
    thur-9 miles pace
    friday -bike 20 min
    saturday- 12 miles pace

mon-3 miles pace
    tuesday- 10 k pace
    wed -rest
    thursday-rest
    friday- 3 miles slow
    saturday- rest, rest, rest, rest and massage and rest
    sunday- 26.1 !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I suspect that if you have only 2 weeks to taper because of injury issues, then the only plan to follow is the one your body is telling you to follow.

I did my last LSR on Saturday, and was quite sore afterwards. I ended up with a gentle 5 on Tues, just about. Today I am now going to do a 7 as I feel more recovered. So, my week following the LSR has been dominated by recovery.

The final week before the 23rd I will do an 8-10 at the weekend, with probably a 6 and 4 in the week then rest. So the lead-up week is dominated by resting ahead of the big one.

So, with only two weeks of taper, by the time you have recovered from your LSR, it will nearly be final build-up/rest-up time.

Listen to your body and don't overdo it. Piling on miles next week is likely to be more detrimental than beneficial.

WildeRover
  • Options
    paul dont beat yourself about the schedule just reduce your own schedule to where it feels comfortable, to near the race to over stretch yourself. need rest, the crowd will pull you along im sure.
    Blue Pete, why do you kick up preverbials? you are still runnig, you have raised a fantastic amount of money for a good cause, you will be fine on the day, im sure of that.
    Lets face it, all our aims are to get to the end in a reasonable time, none of us are going to replace Paula up the front.
    Lets just enjoy the taper as much as possible to really have a good run on 23rd.
    Brent what are you going to do 100 yards from finish line (26.1 on your message.) do you a piggy back or something?(LOL)
  • Options
    chukka -lol....wishfull thinking I guess

crap -change my long run to 21.1 this weekend

paul they are both right and dont follow my schedule -I just looked at it again and may cut back some miles. I am only doing 20-21 this weekend because of my own mental paraniod reasons. I know I put in enought training and so did you guys.
    Blue pete-I agree with chukka and have always been impressed with you run reports (maybe even a little jelous !).

By the way I am breaking in a new pair of trainers for the marathon, maybe a little to late but they feel good. While running the other night I was thinking back to when I was a child and my mom would buy me a new pair of trainers. I would get home and rip around my yard thinking I could run faster and jump higher. To some degree I think I still carry that with me today, because I always feel excited about a new pair of trainers.
  • Options
    BW & Chukka - thanks for that.

I too remember 'that' feeling as a kid - i too have bought a new pair of shoes and am debating whether to start wearing them while running from next week. Do you think 30 miles of taper running before the big day will be enough to wear them in?
  • Options
    Not going to run any particular route on Saturday so that I won't know how far I've run, think it's important to stay out for up to 3 hours. Will know roughly how far I've run but think it will be good mentally to not know exactly in case I'm disapointed. I have done a couple of half's and have some good routes driven out so pacing the actual race will be fine.

Will then listen to my body and just do some steady runs methinks. Looking forward to the taper and especially the end of this roller-coaster!!!

Cheers for the advice
  • Options
    blue pete, i think it depends how how they feel in next couple of runs, esp lsr on Sunday. I wish my toe nail would fall off, i think it would feel so much better
  • Options
    PS2 my lsr at weekend is still 18 miles, so ill be running for about 3hrs also, just dont to much in next couple of weeks, final lsr before FLM is 12 miles
  • Options
    Blue Pete! You should be proud of yourself for all the training and raising all that moo-la! That's a great amount. I'm sure your charity will be proud of you and they only want you to finish the run and enjoy yourself.

I'm doing my LSR tomorrow and shooting for 3 hours. Most of it will be on my own, which is different for me, so I will be taking my mp3.

Chukka- How long until a toenail falls off? Mine was fine until it got stomped at a club a couple weekends ago. Now it's black, but luckily it doesn't really seem to hurt until I'm done running and take my shoes off. Will it hurt more once the nail is gone? It seems like it will be soft skin underneath?
  • Options
    Yellowdog - you so need that nail to fall off, hurts a lot less, even though it is soft underneath, mine felt so much better when it happened!
  • Options
    Oh no, it is so windy tonight and I HATE running in the wind. It's a speed session and I HATE speed sessions. Should I just hide at home?
    OK I'll bite the bullet and head out for my run, but probably just do a 6 steady instead of speed. Been driving for 4 hours today and I'm so tired I don't want to do anything. Where do you get all your positive energy from?

I've got a bruised toenail that I did at the start of March and it's still hanging. I just ignore it. The toenail underneath will grow up before the old one drops off. It's happened so many times before.

DC
  • Options
    A nice hilly 7 miles today. I was trying to take it fairly easy and still finished only 10secs outside my best for that course, so very pleased with that.

7 more runs to go...........

WildeRover
  • Options
    well guys, we all sound like we are getting sorted and getting geared up for the big day! I too have struggled with the training this week but have stuck with and and made myself do the plan every night, went back on treadmill to try and save my knee too much impact. rest day tomorrow and the 4 sat and 12 on Sunday. I have bought some gels from the SIS website on gymbunny's recommendation so I will try them on Sunday in the 12 and see how I get on.

Well off to make Prawn curry for dinner now.... happy running all
  • Options
    Gweedore,

Try the SIS gels instead of mango chutney!

Bon appetite.

HT
  • Options
    7 sessions to go - 61 miles.

Like Gweedore I was determined to stick to schedule this week - 9 miles tonight. RW schedule says staedy pace which is marathon pace, but time alloted is similar min/mile as Wed slow run. Went steady - 9min miles - into a headwind at mile 7 plus hail stones, and council has decided to divert traffic thru our village, on single track road with no pavement and dykes on both sides! so had to play dodge the traffic too!

• Options
    yellowdog i have no idea how long these nails take to fall off, it started a few weeks ago & its now black completely, i trimmed it back & that made it feel better.
    I am doing LSR Saturday tea time on my own, better make sure battery good in MP3.
    Off to Kent on Sunday if all goes to plan.
    Found a running group for kids on Saturday mornings. going to see if my kids want to go along.
    Went with group last night ran for 1hr, not 9miles but oh well, only just a couple of weeks & a bit to go.
    DC- i get my positive energy from the local running shop, they sell it in small, medium & large bags.
    But seriously i just look where ive come from in terms of my weight & where i am now & i dont want to go back to the old me.
    Has anybody else got races planned after FLM? Im going to do Norwich half marathon in June.

• Options
    I'm thinking of the Brandon Forest 1/2 over May's bank holiday weekend, but am not signed up for anything. It's all trails so should be relatively kind on the body.
  • Options
    I have a 'friendly' olympic size Triathlon 6 weeks after FLM...only 300m swim, but then 42k hilly bike & v.tough 11.6k run. No time to train for that so just hope I've recovered enough! Then I'm in for the Great North Run in October, and have just recently put my application in for New York marathon in November.(Can anyone tell me why I'm thinking about putting myself through this again in the same year?!)

I do need a target to aim for, and call me mad, but I am enjoying the training and the benefits it gives. Will have to find another ½ or some fast 10k's during July-September!
  • Options
    I have also signed up for the Norwich half, perfect location for me as it just round the corner from mother in laws!
  • Options
    I think after this marathon i will do more 1/2's as its not so much training time. It will seem a doddle to go for a lsr of about 1hr