Options

Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    I have not been on the forum for a few days, to answer a few questions from a few days ago.

Amadeus, Dublin will most likely be the main running event of the year, as I have not entered any other marathons. I was going to use the next few months to do more speed work and lose a bit more weight before I start the serious distance work.

Mr Happy, you can use AATB instead of the full forum name.
  • Options
    Mr H you where mentioning speedwork a few pages ago, it may useful to join a running club.
    As there are normally people of all abilities. This means that there also people slightly faster than you (unless you are SJ) which you can aim to keep pace with. They may also do more traditional speedwork sessions.
    I have a varitey of sessions available during the week with the running club and triathlon club that I am a member of. This helps me as I am not doing the same run and pace around the town on my own.
  • Options
    Running Club = Sore point

I remember talking in Kennedy's and everyone saying I really should make the effort to join a running club. So my local running club meets twice a week - Tue and Thu. Away last Tue, Parents evening last Thu, Last night came dangerously close but then my computer network fell down. I need to get out of the house more! I met up with colleagues - er at my house - an unusual venue for a sales meeting!

You guys are my support group!
  • Options
    Morning everyone, day off today (yay) and I'm about to go to the gym. Still keeping up with running only and I'm finding it amazingly easy! I'm still on my diet (11 pounds down since Dublin) and drinking loads of water. Thats me off to a posiitive start.

We got bad news about a close friend of ours last night. She is going through Leukamia for the second time, she was in remission but was told yesterday that she is out of remission and the doctors have no more treatment for her. She's only 45 with 2 girls at home (16 and 17), doctors have told her she has just months left.

It puts things in perspective in your own life. If anyone prays, please pray for Louise. Her girls need her and we don't want to lose her.
  • Options
    Ginger - so sorry about your friend. Will be thinking of them.

How on earth have you lost 11 pounds in less than one month - well done - did you really need to lose that? Your photos don't look as though you do....
  • Options
    Thanks Giller, shes a very positive person.

(I'm doing low carb, don't tell anyone!!)
  • Options
    Too late gfb - just be careful!!
  • Options
    Aye don't worry. Lots and lots of salads and veggies...it has bad presss because people don't read up on it properly. I've never ate so well in my life! (Only downside no booze boo hoo!!) I've probably lost the weight from that alone!!
  • Options
    Honestly I don't think you need to diet if you're running enough miles- provided you don't eat loads of hi fat foods and high calorie foods such as nuts and chocolate. I'm a little surprised GFB that you can still run on a low carb intake. Shades told me she though I would struggle with my running if I tried to lose weight as well as Marathon training and she was right.

Booze is always interesting if you do a food diary though because it contains no nutritional value - no fat, no carbohydrate and no protein! It is just empty calories!

I bought these Nutrititional scales and it really opened my eyes as to how to keep my calorie intake sensible. I even use it to weigh out my psp22

• Options
    Also available from Argos
  • Options
    Mr H...thanks for your concern. I knew I'd get everyone worried when I mentioned low carb!! I'm following a low GI diet, with lots and lots of salads and veggies and fruit. I do have probably 3 stone to lose and I decided to do it now while my milage is low.

I do need to get the weight off before I up my milage after Christmas for when I really get stuck into training for FLM.

We have body composition scales in our clinic and we are very carefully monitoring my loss. So far all fat. My fat levels have dropped from 35 % to 32, and my BMI has dropped from 29 to 27. (By no means skinny!!) I'm drinking loads of water and am sleeping better with more energy than ever.

I went for a run today and had tons of energy. I promise everyone...I being really sensible!!

As to losing weight while running...I actually put on weight getting ready for Dublin and I felt every single one of those excess pounds. I have ambitions to run 4:30 marathons...I really can't do that the weight I am.

I hearby swear that I, gingerfurball, am being really careful, am not abusing my body and will be really sensible regarding weightloss. Amen.
  • Options
    GFB - I wouldn't worry what people think anyway - a lot of people get it hopelessly wrong anyway. Sounds like you are still eating lots of carbs - just the right ones - fruit, veg etc. I want to get my % fat from 28% down to 14% which means losing 14kg. I just know that as I do it everyone will give me extra portions, force beer down me and tell me I've lost too much weight. I know that several of the other forumites have had conversations about losing too much weight since they started running- particularly with their mothers. For example -" So you've done the Marathon now - Are you going to put a bit of weight back on? - You're too thin!"

Last time I got near to my ideal weight people kept asking me if I was well!
  • Options
    Thats true MrH...my other half's family (who are all overweight couch potatoes) tell him that he looks sick when he's at his leanest..(lowest was 7.5 per cent body fat after the Ironman) Its as if people would rather you were fat!

When he did the half marathon in our town this year when he had a BAD day (calf strain, blisters and a migraine to boot!!) his mother said...sure you can retire now son, you've nothing to prove!! What and turn to lard like the rest of you!

Ah well...waddle on as they say!

My family on the other hand could not be more supportive. My dad was always a very fit man, he used to go on 20 mile hikes at the weekend at a 5 mile an hour pace. But unfortunatley he got extremely ill 15 years ago...leukaemia, a bone marrow disorder and eventually chronic fatigue syndrome. He longed to do any activity. Now, thank God, he's in full remission, full of energy and beginning to get out the road again.

They just love to see us do any activity. They're great!
  • Options
    Just got back from Cumbria. Country cottage near Penrith. My, it is beautiful.
    Managed ONE very short early morning run to the nearest village (a massive 2 miles). My first run since Dublin.

We did do some fell walking, including getting off the path and having to slide down the hillside on our bums, towards some sheep. But that's courses for horses for us city types. Or courses for idiots, I suppose. Great trip!

I'm starting some regular Yoga for Runners classes (teaching) at the new Triyoga in Soho beginning next week. So if any of you London people want details, let me know and/or spread the word!

Later...

LF
  • Options
    A few fells! What a wimp - didn't you try Skiddaw or Helvellyn? - :)

I found that although Helvellyn is only a few miles up and down that the stiffness the following day makes a Marathon feel tame.

I could use some yoga for runners - in fact I can use every bit of help I can get to improve :)
  • Options
    Mr Happy,
    I've been doing yoga for triatheletes and core stability classes for the last few weeks and it's early days yet but I can really see and feel a difference. It's well worth looking into
  • Options
    Just back from a couple of days working away - annoying how that interferes with running!

Congratulations of the weight loss GFB. I often think I'd run a bit faster if I shifted a a few lbs myself, but think I'd find it hard to cut pasta, potatoes etc - but it obviously works well for you!

Glad you had a good time in the Lakes LF - it's one of my favourite places. Mr Sluggie and I had our first holiday there as students thirty years ago! We had no proper waterproofs or boots and a very inadequate map, but we learned the pleasures of fell-walking and have been doing it ever since!
  • Options
    read somewhere that every kg over your ideal weight you are adds 4 minutes to your marathon time. Should I ever get to my supposed ideal (52 kgs) Paula would have competition!
  • Options
    What's your 'ideal' weight? In the middle of the healthy BMI band, or for runners, should it be towards the bottom? Or is there a special table just for runners? I'd guess a lot of the racing snakes would be right at the bottom of the healthy range, or maybe underweight according to the standard BMI chart.
  • Options
    I think it's based on the weights of elite runners of your height. Not sure it's any more sophisticated an estimation than that.

I think it actually falls about BMI 21-22 for women because of muscle mass.*

* I accept no responsibility for the accuaracy of this data. It's early, I was up late last night and my brain has not yet defrosted from the cycle into work. I'm off to make porridge now to see if that will help the thaw.

• Options
    Good morning all.

Minus four when I left the house this morning. Was planning an early morning run but decided to wait until this afternoon to avoid the risk of slipping. In addition, we guys also suffer a particular cold weather discomfort that you ladies don't. Not keen on that at all.

Mr H - I'm racing in Sefton Park Liverpool a week on Saturday. Any idea what it's like as I think that's on your doorstop?

SJ
  • Options
    SJ - Racing in Sevvo eh!

Its my favourite training ground - large city park with lots of tarmac and gravel paths. However the gravel drives me nuts because it finds its way into my shoes. I bough some gaitors which look daft but they work and it avoids the pain of stones in the shoes.

Dunno if this link can find you someone who knows the route for Saturday

Sevvo 5Miler
  • Options
    Thanks Mr H -

It's part of the Reebok Cross Challenge Series so I'd imagine the stones shouldn't be too much of an issue, unlike the prospect of a full race programme before the Senior Mens event. This normally means the course is very well ploughed by the time we get on it.

The one piece of good news is that (to the best of my knowledge anyway) city parks do not feature large numbers of cattle roaming around in the weeks before such events. Mrs SJ will be delighted to hear that sioled kit will be strictly mud only.

The washing machine will be similarly grateful.

Ah, the joys of Cross Country running!

SJ
  • Options
    SJ, you wimp. There was a guy running in the Phoenix Park at 6am this morning with only a race singlet and shorts.
  • Options
    Jo...(completely off topic) I know you are training for an IM next year, how many miles do you ride in a training session/week?

(Why do people insist in running in shorts in WINTER!!...have they no tv's or windows!!??)
  • Options
    GFB I'm only doing about 200 miles a week. THe long ride is much too short only 50-60 miles at the moment but I can't find anyone who wants to come out with me on long rides. I'm thinking of investing in a descent turbo to shred my tyres!!
  • Options
    So that one got away did he Jo? I'd burn his clothes if I were you. Best to get rid of the evidence.

Next time, if you wear dark clothing and hide in the hedgerow until the very last minute you should have the element of surprise in your favour.

SJ ;)
  • Options
    very naughty SJ

SJ according to my male cross country skiing friend, what you men need for those chilly days is a pair of 'windbriefs'. They sell them in ski shops (maybe cycle shops too?). You should have seen my pal trying to explain what it was he wanted in pidgin German and hand signals in an Austrian ski shop!

We females have different problems but I have seen Windstopper bras!

Just been for a lovely run with my women's running group - fantastic autumn leaves and frosty fields.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip Sluggie but I think I'd rather struggle with frozen genitals than risk getting knocked down whilst sporting industrial knickers! Imagine the embarrassment in casualty!

My contingency plan is not to shave as often during winter. At least that way they'll recognise me as male in the ER should I ever have the misfortune.

SJ
  • Options
    Bridget jone's panties for SJ LOL!!