Options

Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    SJ,

Oh no - please do not grow a beard! My other half has not shaved for a couple of months and it makes him look 10 years older! You look great as you are.

Who's running Luton then?
  • Options
    Ref. previous topic, a chum of mine always ran in shorts even through the coldest winter weather. Came home one evening in agony (?frostbite) Took his missus ages to get the circulation back in to it!
    Gil trains in tracksters with thermal long johns underneath through the winter.
  • Options
    I've seen MrGFB in spring go out in running leggings, 2 (yes 2)pair of cycle bib longs, gloves, t shirt, jumper running jacket and hat!! The man does not like to be cold!

(This can prove dangerous if nature calls but thats a whole 'nother story!!)
  • Options
    Pam -

Thankfully I won't have this problem this year due to the treadmill situation so the beard can wait.

Despite this I shall not be discouraging the current Mrs SJ from assisting with potential circulation difficulties in that department. All the better if she wants to spend ages.

And it's not even my birthday until April!

SJ ;)
  • Options
    Please excuse the intrusion guys but I have just entered the 2006 Gt BUPA Ireland Run and was hoping this thread may be able to help re what the previous year was like, decent accommodation with a bit of life, etc., etc., If I am wrong please tell me and I will take my trainers and slope off.......
  • Options
    SJ,

Do you think you will be able to run long distance on your treadie? The most I have mananged ever is about an hour in a gym.
    I suppose with a TV I have no excuse at home not to run longer. As I have a Marathon at the end of January I guess I should be able to train all through the winter. Just done my first run since Dublin, a slow 5 miler. Cough is nearly better but I still have the rash caused by cough mixture allergy. The itching drives me nuts when I get warm and it is unbearable at night. Supposed to be running Brighton 10k on Sunday so must buck my ideas up. I have actually felt my age over the last couple of weeks!
    Positive thinking - I will be fine and run a PB on Sunday......
  • Options
    Mr Darcy is that the one in the Phoenix park. 10km? I'm off to the dentist now but I'll get back to you with info at teatime. I can't believe I'm about to give a man a couple of thousand quid to inflict pain on me (no sadomach...[jo can't spell] jokes SJ)

See that brackets, within brackets. I learnt from a master

Pam, I'm jogging luton.
  • Options
    Jo,

Perhaps we will meet this time as I missed you in Dublin.
    I will be wearing my red and yellow Serpentine vest with my name on my back. Just running 1st leg of relay, we have 20 teams entered!
  • Options
    Jo, thats the cookie! - good luck with the teeth - been there, ouch!
  • Options

Got my new teeth. :-) (proper smile not the half hearted one you all got in dublin as I tried to hide my cracked tooth)

Right Mr Darcy,
    There are quite a few B&B's beside the phoenix park and one hotel (3* I think). If you let me know what degree of comfort you require I'll give you a top 5 in your range. THe park is about 2 miles from the city centre so if you wanted to stay closer to the "action" I'll give you suggestions that end too.

The race is good. A couple of thousand people. Some elite type runners and plenty of first-timers and walkers. Can't remember what was in the goody bag last year but there was a nice grey tee-shirt. The race starts at the opposite end of the park to the city entrance but there are shuttle busses. There is one nasty hill about half way around.

Any other questions, just ask
  • Options
    Just back after a couple of days working away (really crimps your life not having Internet access on demand...!)

On the tpic of running in the winter I HATE running in trackies now and pretty much always run in shorts. My motto is that if my legs are cold then I'm not running fast enough! I tend to need a couple of layers on top though & I'm going to invest in some gloves & maybe a wolley hat.

As for BMI I have been slightly under my "ideal" BMI all my life - are there risks with having too little body fat?
  • Options
    I think you'd be cold Amadeus!!

Well...I'm off to the gym, then packing for Englasnd, away working this weekend...might see you about SJ!!

Hope everyone has a good wekend!

Keep smiling Jo with those lovely new teeth!
  • Options
    When I was in Hamburg last January I noticed loads of Germans (men and women) wearing a sort of fleece headband that goes over the ears. I bought one and ran in it yesterday. It's great as it allows the top of the head to breath but keeps the ears warm . You can get them in U.K. as I have since bought a Nike one.
  • Options
    Supergirl - warm is good, but I have an image to maintain!!! ;)
  • Options
    I bought such a headband loving the practicality of it but I had so much urine extracted from me by my wife and my 12 year old child that I dare not run past the hoodied scallies of Liverpoolshire.

So I now opt for a black beenie which makes me look like a Burglar which is much more acceptable!

I get a big enough snigger wearing reflective strips with flashing LEDs - I've been called a flasher!

I went out on Thursday afternoon - it was acold and crisp afternoon and I had a thoroughly enjoyable run of exactly 5 miles
  • Options
    I see this thread is racing along at some incredible speed.

Are you really all going to do Dublin again next year?

I'm hoping to do Budapest - maybe. I've got the Grizzly in March to worry about first though.

So, forgive me for not ploughing back through 400 posts but, are you all running ok again? I thought I was ok but each time I've attempted a short run my knee has packed in after about 1.5 miles. It's really frustrating as this is the weather I love to run in! I'm going to cycle alongside a running friend this weekend as cycling doesn't seem to hurt.
  • Options
    Good to see Scouse wit is alive & well Mr H!

Val - I am back running, but low milages. 2 * 3 miles last week, 2 * 4.6 miles this week. No pain and speed has jumped beyond recognition (I am running 7:30 m/m and below which is almost a full minute per mile faster than when I was in teh full swing of training for Dublin).

I am 90% going to do Dublin - it and the Connemarathon are my "home" events so it would be bad form not to do one of them. I have also signed up for Paris in April (as has Sluggie, Dave and one or two others).
  • Options
    Jo,

You are a star. I'm looking for somewhere close to the start, not too worried about price as long as its comfortable, lively and is close to bars and other runners.

There's a drink for your effort in this!

Thanks for the info regarding the race itself.
  • Options
    Very quiet here!

ValP, in anwer to your question I guess I am back to running again, though left ankle has been very creaky and grumbly since Dublin. I guess SJ is back to 70 mpw with Mumbai looming?

With my own next event on Dec 11th, though I'd better do a long run today, so did a coffee-shop special - 10 miles slowly out, coffee, a bun, and 10 miles slowly back. Not a programme I've ever seen receommended in RW, nor one that would make any sense to the faster folk, but it makes sense to me - if you're going to be out for four hours you might as well enjoy it. Lovely and frosty and pretty along the canal.

Did my good deed for the day on the way back - I was trotting along the canal bank when a woman on the opposite bank started shouting at me 'Stop, please, help that dog!'. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on, then I spotted a nose and ears level with the canal bank.

It was a very small terrier, scrabbling at the bank but unable to haul himself out of the water - it's nearly a two-foot drop between the bank and the water. Fortunately he was co-operative and allowed me to heave him out with no problems.

I was looking around wondering where the owner was when two youths appeared. 'Is that your dog?' the woman on the opposite bank asked. 'Yes' 'Well you ought to look after him better', she said 'he nearly drowned!' At which one of the boys answered 'Well he's a f***ing dog, he can f***ing swim'.

Thought about giving them a piece of my mind (along the lines of, he can swim but he can't climb), but ran on instead. Thought they were pretty obnoxious, though later it occrred to me that maybe they hadn't seen what had happened and assumed he'd got out unaided. Anyway, nothing like a little adventure to enliven the run!
  • Options
    Sluggs you must have been a bit minging in the coffee shop?

I don't think its ever worth giving a piece of your mind to people who probably miss the finer points of life at the best of times.

We have more that our fair share of scallies in my fair city but the best policy is simply to ignore them. Once you do that life here is pretty good.

Only did a swift 2.3 miler today with my 12 year old son. It nearly killed him but he managed an average 6.5mph In two weeks time we run the Santa dash together. I'd like to run it faster but its most important that he has a good experience. If we manage 6.5 mph over the 5K then we should finish a reasonable way up the total field which is quite an achievement for a 12 year old I think.
  • Options
    I should have said it was the coffee shop in a local sports centre so I wasn't too out of place!

Fantastic running by your 12-year-old!
  • Options
    Sorry Mr H,
    Don't agree at all on ignoring scallies,
    That's the main problem today, everyone is so scared of litigation that they walk away from the C--p going on all around them on a daily basis.
    We ALL have a responsibility to "ADVISE" the misguided people in our communities of the errors of their ways.
    I am 53 years old and will still stand toe to toe with anyone who mistreats animals or people.
    The ignore and walk away option should not be considered by any of us who are lucky enough to be in good health.
    Sorry if thet p--s-- any of you off but I was brought up by my old dad ( a second world war veteran) to never see anybody dumped on. My two sons live by the same code.

Lou

• Options
    Sluggie,

Well done on saving the little dog, must have made you fell good fgor the rest of the day!

Amadeus, Glad to hear your training is O.K. and speed improving. Keep it up.

I see the Dublin certificates now show both chip and race times. It would be interesting to know which time FLM would use as a qualifier as good for age (not that mine was good enoughj).
  • Options
    Lou - its obvious you don't live here.

I think if you lived yards from a notorius area you might soften your stance.

I have spent many hours picking up litter and other stuff deposited by these chaps and their pets in the local nature reserve and honestly getting upset or violent just isn't sensible. Inner city problems are deep seated and complex. And I've had many conversations with the local police who have enforced a lot of ASBOs in the area. Here's something I did in another life.....A former life

My 85 year old mother in law and her 89 year old boyfriend are surrounded by scallies in South London. She won't move at her time of life so what would you advise her to do - get upset or ignore? My case rests.

• Options
    Very quiet here - must be the cold weather. Sluggie - that sounds just like my kind of run - I've a sport centre halfway round my longer route too!

Haven't done more than 5 miles yet - hip is still a bit dodgy - must see a physio I think.

Beautiful weekend - really sunny and warm. This morning was freeeeeezing....
  • Options
    Looks like the end of a beautiful thread!!

Mr H & Lou - kind of see both sides of the argument. I used to live in Hackney (which has it's share of disafected youths) and now live on the outskirts of a city that has a very bad reputation (as well as growing up in / near dodgy "Norn Iron" during the worst of the Troubles). For what it's worth I think you should stand up for what you believe in and think is right (and yes I have backed that up with actions).

However you need to choose your time and place - only a fool would stand alone against half a dozen teenage lads but if one loud mouth out of three or four gives a bit of verbal I have no qualms about "fronting up" to them. At the end of the day they are bullies and bullies rarely have the moral or physical courage to take on the strong - they prey on the weak. If it stops being fun for them to harrass someone or bully people in a certain location then they will move on - as a society we need to stop making it easy for them and that comes through both individual and collective action.

All of which applies to me as an overconfident young(ish) strong(ish) male. I would never expect an 80something year old woman to stand up to a gang of youths - but I would expect anyone nearby to intervene if they saw an old lady being verballed by some "hoodies".

Anyway if I get into bother I know I can run further than them!!
  • Options
    The end? Surely not! Perhaps it's just a case of people having plenty to do at work on a Monday... Myself, I'm just enjoying one last quiet day before work goes a bit mad between now and the end of the year.

Been paying for my long run on Saturday with ankles that feel as if I've been running on concrete - then I realised that that's more or less exactly what I have been doing as the ground has been frozen solid each morning over the weekend! My nice soft off-road route is probably at least as hard as tarmac (though not as slippy as icy pavements). Anone else noticed this effect?
  • Options
    I agree Sluggie...definitley not the end! I've been busy with various dramas yesterday and today and haven't the energy to write more than this. But I'll still be posting here...anyone else...
  • Options
    I did a 5 mile run at my club, it started of cold and then got worse as the mist started to form. I was glad to get back to the leisure centre and have a nice drink which I believe comes from Dublin.

I assume SJ is busy training for his big race.