Options

Flirty women are blamed for rape

Comments

• Options
    Really Coops? Why was that then?
  • Options
    Well, I did call them a pillock first. It was a terrible slanging match....
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I think that the way the question is worded would lead to a skewed result, actually.

If the question was:

Q3. I am now going to read out a series of scenarios which a woman may find herself in. In each could you please indicate whether you believe a woman more likely to be raped if…

a) The woman is drunk (Base, n=1,083)
    b) The woman has behaved in a flirtatious manner (Base: n=1,078)
    c) The woman has failed to say ‘no’ clearly to the man (Base, n=1,076)
    d) A woman is wearing sexy or revealing clothes (Base, n=1,076)
    e) It is known that the woman has many sexual partners (Base, n=1,076)
    f) The woman is alone and walking in a dangerous or deserted area (1,075)

then the results sort of make more sense. All of these are "danger" situations, but none make the woman responsible for the rape.
  • Options
    I'd say a true Isalmist / Christian / Buddhist - any religion would not rape anyone.
  • Options
    I think you're right there Nessie. But that result is not gonna make the impact that Amnesty wanted I guess ?
    More impact - more donations ?
  • Options
    I'm not religious BR but I wouldn't rape anyone. Why would religion matter ?

(look at the catholic priest/choirboy things ?)
  • Options
    Given todays society & the way women are portrayed in the media as being sexually available I do think women have a responsibility to themselves to try to avoid situations where they may put themselves at risk or their actions misinteritated.

(i don't think i've that very well, hope you know what i mean though ;o(
  • Options
    I was astonished when I read the story. Shocking that this "she was asking for it" mentality of certain High Court judges still exists.

On an earlier point, I think that both victim and the accused should both be granted anonymity until the case is resolved.

There have been one or two high-profile cases, where even though men have been found guilty, the allegations stick, especially in our tabloid-dominated world where allegation is reported as fact.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    My only time as a jurer involved a rape case and that gave me a bit of an insight into how difficult it must be to bring a conviction in this. Mine was further complicated by the victim being a prostitute who had had sex with the defendant earlier in the day (therefore DNA was present & not challenged).

In the end, the defendant was found not guilty (but guilty of assault) as we just couldn't find any evidence despite the jury being sympathetic.

I hope that we have at least moved on from judges arguing that 'no' sometimes means 'yes' though.
  • Options
    i wonder how many people would think that a man who is raped was "asking for it" by being drunk , out alone, walking home late at night, wearing revealing clothes( vest and running shorts?) or being attractive or acting provactively or having a lot of sexual partners?
  • Options
    I can't believe that the victims are still getting the blame.

When I was a hall rep at uni, an extremely scantily clad girl came in v drunk (not drugged, she often got in like that) & upset & claiming that she's been raped. She couldn't remember who or where (another student's bedroom). We were all set to call the police when she disappeared for a shower & went to bed. She told someone else it had happened to her before when she'd had a few too many.

I did report it to the uni but she didn't want to take it further.

I still don't know what to think of that night, whether we should have called the police as a genuine rape or whether she was upset that she had sh*gged someone who she didn't really want to.

Should we have pulled her out of the shower?

I didn't doubt that she had probably changed her mind while very involved, but did she make it clear enough to the bloke that she didn't want to carry on.

Equally (or more importantly), should the undoubtedly drunk bloke have thought more before having sex with such a drunk partner?

Yes, I think in these cases that the bloke should think more about/take more responsibility for whether the woman is physically able to consent to sex. Or vice versa.

It's a difficult topic. No it's not, just circumstances like that make it difficult to get the true story/intentions and therefore a prosecution.

*hopes that I haven't said anything to upset anyone*
  • Options
    Very few Buney. I think that the reasoning behind male rapes is differant to that behind fmale rapes

Both are wrong though.
  • Options
    I've re-read that & it sounds awfully muddled.

But you know where I'm coming from.
  • Options
    You're right, it does seem to have been revived.

I hate that Lynx ad where the bloke is seen welcoming a new woman in while ushering the other out the door. I've enjoyed their ads in the past but this one winds me up.
  • Options
    Rapists are wholly and solely responsible for rapes. To suggest otherwise implies that women must avoid all alcohol and wear clothes that show no flesh. In countries where women are expected to behave like this, they are still at risk of rape, and the reason is obvious. It is because rapists are responsible for rapes.

There is no such thing as "asking to be raped". You might ask to have sex, in which case it isn't rape. But you can't, by definition, ask to be raped. Most of the men I know, nice decent men, if a scantily clad drunken woman fell into their lap, they'd probably be quite disgusted, and the really nice ones would help her to get home safely. I don't know any man who would think "Ha ha! I'll rape her, she's asking for it". Only a few sick criminal men would do that, rapists, and they would be responsible for their actions, not the victim.
  • Options
    Yes looks like we all agree. I was reading the other day that the number of reported rapes has risen many times in the last 30-40 years. I'm sure that some of that rise is due to women being more willing to report it these days so there's no way of knowing whether the offence is more common now or not. The actual figure was very high though - even allowing for the fact that one man probably commits many offences it must still be a few percent of men that are doing it - not just 0.001 or whatever.
  • Options
    If women asked to be raped it wouldn't be rape it would be consentual sex!

There are preventative measures that should be taken and as women and men we have a duty to protect ourselves:

-I never get "out of it" or wasted, so that I am out of control anymore. I guess too much drink could put me in a vunerable situation.

-We should look out for one another (men and women) and make sure our friends are comfortable, with the person they are chatting to. We should make sure people get home okay and stick together. This doesn't just go for rape, but other crimes.

-We should be careful not to get into a situation where it is just the indivdual and a potential rapist. It might sound silly but a lot of Rape victims originally go willingly with the suspect, to somewhere that isnt "home"- that is a place you feel comfortable in.

-buy and watch your own drinks

There are women and men who falsely accuse men of raping them, for various reasons

There are women who are genuinely raped, but due to various circumstances there is no evidence for the case to get to court in the 1st place or if it gets to court the level of proof (beyond reasonable doubt) needs to be high for a Jury to convict.

Sadly it is usually the defendants word against the victim's. Even if there is DNA evidence a defendant will often go down the route of "consent". Sadly if the victim is without injury, or hasn't been dragged into the bushes by someone with a knife, it is so difficult.

In situations where a person may change their mind, they need to be assertive and clear that the intimacy must stop, or boundries should be set prior to intimacy (in an ideal world)

Both women and men have a personal responsibility to themselves and how they conduct themselves. However we should still be able to live our lives and have fun, just be a bit more switched on about it....

Rapists are scum, they are preditors and hopefully there would be enough evidence to put them away for a long time. Some sentences past are rubbish though. I would put a rapist down for a least double figures but it is common for 1st time offenders to receive anything from 4- 8 years. Then they only serve 2/3's of the sentence.

Sorry Ive gone on a bit. I hope the survey doesnt put victims on reporting!
  • Options
    Well said Nicks! Some very interesting and encouraging views on here!
  • Options
    Sadly it seems in our society that any crime against the person (whether rape, assault, mugging old ladies, glassing someone in a bar, etc...) is less harshly treated by the courts, sentence-wise, than crimes against big business or involving large sums of money where no-one is hurt.

This just seems to be arse about face to me.

Comments.....
  • Options
    The article I read about this seemed to be saying that the proportions of respondents actually agreeing that the woman bore SOME responsibility in the situations described were 1 in 5, 1 in 6 - i.e. very much a minority, but not a tiny proportion. Thus, as I understand it, the vast majority of people disagreed that the woman bore ANY responsibility in those situations.

I would be interested to know whether the people who answered positively would have said that the man's responsibility was corresondingly diminished, or whether they would say that the man is completely legally responsible, but if you looked just at the woman, you could say that in some way her actions contributed to what happened. I would still see it as irrational, but it would be slightly less odd that saying that a man bore less than full responsibility for raping someone because they were wearing a short skirt or whatever, which is a bizarre point of view in this day and age.

Boomerang, I tend to agree with you that violent crime is under-sentenced. As a matter of interest, what would you say that a rape sentence in a typical case ought to be?
  • Options
    Questions & stats

BR: 'I'd say a true Isalmist / Christian / Buddhist - any religion would not rape anyone.'
    I'd say a truly decent person would not rape, regerdless of their religious practice.

Nelle: 'Given todays society & the way women are portrayed in the media as being sexually available I do think women have a responsibility to themselves to try to avoid situations where they may put themselves at risk or their actions misinteritated [misinterpreted?].'
    How about that we've got a duty to change today's society? If I don't go running in the dark, that becomes something 'nice girls' don't do. That creates [another] androcentric space. I'd say that everyone [men included] has a duty to challenge the culture whereby 'nice girls' don’t go out after dark / get drunk / wear revealing clothes / whatever, because it is the attitude that any females who don’t obey these rules are 'available' that gives men permission to treat women in these situations as things and not people.
  • Options
    rape guideline starting point sentence is 6 years (discount for guilty plea, and longer for aggravating features) - that's plenty to be getting along with - you'd have to be going some to get that as a starting point for economic crime. Those scum who ran a postal service by not delivering any letters and hoovering up the cash only got two years. Sentencing is routinely misrepresented in the papers

nickers - most rapists are not predators but known to the victim
  • Options
    i think it's about 85% known to victim.
    and 1 in 20 women in the UK are raped in their lives :(
  • Options
    depends how you define it

er

Ive said no
    buuger