Options

Pregnant runners' club

Comments

• Options
    Hey folks. Yah Loz think you should ring and chase them up about your scan. Once you have a date... you can look forward to it..

MM I'm amazed at your diet..you're putting me to shame..wish I was eating as healthily as you. I'm hungry all the time too and I have to eat every 2 hrs..but my snacks arent as healthy as yours.. so you're doing really really well. I really must cut down on my addiction of mini twix bars..mmmm yummy

Re underwire bras.. I cant wear them at all at mo..very uncomfy..actually even my brand new bigger size bra is very uncomfy and today is deffo my last day wearing it(what a waste of 47 euro!). The only thing I find reasonably comfy are the vests with the supportive panel in them..but then once I get home from work I have to take it off straight away...as soo much more comfy without it! (I think baby must be quite high up...hence everything really uncomfy to wear)

DCM... is today your last day at work? You lucky thing !

Anyway have a nice w-e everyone..looks like the weather is going to be lovely.

• Options
    Hi all

Well - I phoned them. I now have a dating scan for Weds 14th. Okay so I'll be nearly 14 weeks, by then, but at least I now have a date! I'm looking forward to seeing the little blighter, and making sure everything's okay so far.

Now - how do I get the time off without telling my boss? They will give me time off for it, but I'm not sure I want them to know yet - pay rises are just on the horizon. I may take a half day, so that they don't know. Or am I just being paranoid?
  • Options
    LozF,
    Just put down hospital appointment on your absence form, its none of their business what your appointment is for, if personnel really want to know then it should be in confidence.

As for all the comments on underwired bras, thanks folks for all the helpful advice, i spoke to my midwife and she is happy enough for me to wear them as long as i make sure they're a good fit and the wires don't dig in. Will be so glad to get back into underwires, haven't found the soft cup ones comfy at all, they either dig in too tight round my chest or the shoulder straps dig in, ordered some from bravissimo so should get them in a day or two.
  • Options
    But if I do that, then it's policy that I have to make the time up - whereas if it's ante-natal, they give me the time off.

(I've checked the law on this, and in fact they do not have to give you time off for a standard doctors appointment - they have to allow you to go, but they can make you make the time up.)
  • Options
    Hi Loz,

Either confide in one of the HR people, or take a half day. I took half day for our 8 weeks scan and confided for the second scan as didn't want to lose any more hols. Its quite nice taking half day as you can sit and chat to your partner, ring a few people etc. Long time to wait though hey. I wonder when they would have sent it through if you'd not rung?

Am so hot today in the office, its so stuffy and feel like am getting a bad head again. Keep drinking water, but what I need is oxygen and cold air. Have requested a desk top fan. Its an air conditioned office, but its so warm.
  • Options
    Hi MM

I think I'll confide in my team lead - he's a very nice chap and discreet. That way I won't have to use my holiday. The HR people don't even know who I am......it's rather a large company. (12,000 odd.....)and I want to save my leave so I can go on maternity leave early.

I bet you are feeling it this weather. At least you're not going to be a your biggest during the hot weather - hopefully by that point it will have cooled down!

Have you thought of maybe sitting with a 'cold' water bottle? Half fill a hot water bottle and put it in the freezer overnight. It may work, by keeping your pulse points in your feet cool.
  • Options
    Good 'cooler' tip LozF.

Been guzzumped on house in Thame - am soooo disappointed - sob!

GMx
  • Options
    Oh GM, that is so gutting! I hate it when that happens - it should be like it is in Europe - after 5 days you are tied in whatever, and it works for both sides. It's the same in Canada too.

It's just too easy to be shafted in the UK. Can you go any higher and do the same to them, or have you decided you don't want to get into a bidding war? (We were in this situation and decided not to get into a bidding war - we had the last laugh, we found a much better place at a better price) I hope it's not going to delay you too long, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
  • Options
    Good idea Loz, I may just try that one!

GM thats so awful, its such a stressful process without being pregnant too. Big hugs to you.
  • Options
    And if you haven't got a Hot water bottle - use an empty two litre drinks bottle. Although that may be a bit too cold to start with!

I've chickened out BTW. I've taken a half days leave, so I don't have to tell anyone I'm going for a scan.....when I know everything's okay, I'll let them know then.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for you Loz. We will all be thinking of you on the 14th.

Its a lot cooler in here today obviously someone realised how hot is what yesterday. Phew! I have the option to work at home so may do that on really hot days this summer. Also have acquired a desk top fan which should help.

Our wee new cat has settled in well now. Not crying anymore, lots of pooing mind and really smelly too! I hate litter trays, can't wait till he can go out! And no I'm not touching the grim thing!
  • Options
    LozF
    Probably a good idea to take leave for this first scan. I didn't and just said I had a doctor's appointment. On the day I ended up in a huge panic because I suddenly had to complete an urgent piece of work b4 my appointment. Ended up phoning to say I would be 1/2 hour late and then arriving in a complete fluster. Had to go back to work afterwards although I didn't leave the doc until 4.30 and the drive to work is around 1/2 hour and didn't get home that day until 9.30pm.

All will get easier I guess once we feel ready to tell work...
  • Options
    Goodness Austrorunner - you dont need that kinda stress - poor you.

Awe, Mitchie Moo, what is your wee new cat called?

I know of 3 x male black + white kittens needing good homes in a week or so - they'll be 8wks old then, but can wait longer for right homes. Anyone?

Well done LozF on taking time off - you'll be a lot calmer than poor Austrorunner.

Off house-hunting AGAIN this weekend, and next - fingers crossed, as you've been saying, something better will turn up.

Happy sunny day.
    GMx
  • Options
    Barolo after Italian red wine (Roly for short). Our other cat is called Shiraz!
  • Options
    Bit of a theme there Mitchie Moo - cool names tho.

There's a RWFormite friend I meet at various events called 'Shiraz'.

I live with a cat (in house-share currently) called 'Maybelline' - cos of her beautiful tabby eye make-up ... Maybe She's Born With It
    <I'll get my coat - soz>
    GMx
  • Options
    Funny as the smell of red wine at the minute makes me feel very sick! I used to love my friday night glass. Am sure I will acquire the taste again in November!
  • Options
    MM - is this your line of thought for baby names, too?!
  • Options
    How about 'Chardonnay'?
    Nice innit!
    GMx

<I am joking, in-case U thort I wasn't>
  • Options
    Am after some advice ladies please.
    I had a baby four weeks ago, and am wanting to start to get back into my training of running and gym regime. I have heard from other female runners mixed things about too much exercise drying up my milk supply and wondered if anyone else suffered from the same symptons, or have other nursing mums managed to maintain breast feeding whilst resuming their pre pregnancy exercise? Any advice gladly appreciated.
  • Options
    Sonia - It didn't affect my milk supply, but I only breastfed for the first 12 weeks.....
    The main problem is more to do with the discomfort!! I would also wait until your 6 week check before getting into anything too heavy - I started going out for (very) gentle trots along the river 3 weeks after my c-section, but nothing more than that until 6 weeks.
    Good luck!
    Hegs x
  • Options
    Good luck Sonia.
    I cant offer any advice since not been there yet - but, like you, hope to return to running soonest post birth.
    AND I hope to breast feed for as long as poss too.
    I find running painful on the breasts now and wear sports bra and crop top - I'm 18wks preggers - do mostly power-walking but do break into a run quite a bit cos even power-walking takes ages.
    GMx
  • Options
    Ha! Yes Chardonney is kind of that footballers wife type name isn't it, and definitely a bit girlie. Both my cats are boys, so had to think of full bodied reds!

Hee Hee! No austrorunner we have some pretty normal names lined up for the twins, although a bit lacking on the boys names.

Sonia I am hoping to breast feed my twins but we'll see, but I also hope to be to running pretty soon afterwards as well. I think the best thing to do is feed then go straight out afterwards if your partner will oblige.

I am 16 weeks now and also power walking with some trots every now and then, and also swimming which I usually hate but am really enjoying. Am still feeling sick after my evening meal, I do hope it passes soon.
  • Options
    From my own personal experience, I waited until I had stopped feeding. Sadie was breast feed for 3 months before she deceided she preferred the bottle!

Purely personal choice. My boobs were huge and I did not relish running like that. Also I did not want to give gravity any more of a hand - if you get my drift!! I wanted to protect my assests :-)

I think I will probably do the same again as it is not always conveniant to go just after feeding etc.

Hope you find a plan that works for you :-)
  • Options
    Anyone heard from DCM she must be 36-37 weeks now?

How far gone are you now clare? How are you feeling?
  • Options
    No I have not heard from DCM. I think she has gone on holiday this week, now she has finished work.

I am now 28 weeks. I am feeling good, bump is huge, particularly when I catch a side view.

I am cross training again which feels great as I still have lots of energy.

Biggest bug bear is numb hips at night when I am on my side. I have now got my sausage pillow in bed that helps, but not much room for in our bed now! It is just a dull ache that wakes me up- i guess it is all the weight and pressure.

How are you are things gradually getting easier?
  • Options
    Yes, but still sick at night sometimes, I would love this to pass as am enjoying my food again. I have a huge belly already, so by 28 weeks I can't imagine what I will be like, but I will have to leave work shortly after that according to my books, but hope to go on as long as possible due to the crap maternity scheme here.

Caught a bit of sun at the weekend which has made me look quite healthy so feeling quite good generally just now. Weekends are definitely good, just week days I tend to be sick sometimes. 4 weeks till 20 week scan, which am slightly anxious about but also excited. Am now swimming 2/3 times per week about 1600-1800m and power walking or gardening other days. Also going back to pilates classes starting this week which will help my back I hope.

Just wondering when you all started to feel things like the butterfly and bubbles and how often did you feel it. It seems very sporadic to me, so am not sure what I'm feeling is actually their movement.
  • Options
    Hi there MM
    I started feeling bubble type movements before 18 weeks(not sure what exact week, sorry)...It was mostly at night when I had just gone to bed.At 18 weeks felt stronger fluttery movements(so hard to explain!)...then hubby-to-be could actually feel small movement at 19wks. Its been non-stop since !

Has anyone else noticed their hands, feet getting slightly bigger/swollen? It must be this warm weather as only have noticed it since the w-e.
  • Options
    MM,
    I started feeling bubble type fluttery movements from about week 17 or 18, probably took another week or two until i was sure that these movements were the baby and not my digestion. So far have only felt the baby move on the outside through my hands once and hubby is desperate to feel it as well. Also some days it moves quite a lot then other days you hardly notice it at all.

Mrs T
    I was at midwife this morning and one of the things she asked was if my hands or feet had swelled (they haven't), but think its quite common, mention to your midwife if you're worried.
  • Options
    I'm 18wks today and desp. to feel some kinda movement since I dont feel preggers apart from swollen belly, and v.tired in the arvos. No swollen hands or feet yet.
    Got ano 10wks before 28wk scan.
    GMx
  • Options
    Am finding it bizarre really, have been feeling something for weeks now, but not every day, and not that often during the day or night. They were most active after I'd had a curry on friday night, not sure if that meant they liked it or not! Think I will ask my midwife on friday. We are having curry again tonight as am loving them, so we'll see what happens hey!

I have been getting swollen hands and feet. Think it must be the weather as its first time I've had it, it feels horrid and my hands feel so hot too, especially if I have a cuppa.