Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Cas and Mr. Bump, thanks.
    I think I'll give the pro-biotics a try but I'll have to take the capsules rather than the drinks as I am intolerant to milk.

I thought 18 miles would be too ambitious this weekend, just getting a few miles in this week would be good, nice and easy I think.

Cas - I hope your tum settles down quickly. There are some horrid bugs going around at the moment.
    I hope your HM goes well.

Mr. Bump - That's a good drop in HR. It shows that the training is working and how fit you have got.
    I managed to do 5 miles at 128 average just before I got ill, I've never been able to run at that HR before for more than a couple of miles without it creeping up. Whatever is happening, its all good.
  • Options
    I must start using my HRM again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    HasL - you've had a rough time and you must ease yourself back into training. Don't rewrite your training plan yet. When you feel able just go out for 3 to 4 miles very easy. Then take a day's rest before you go out again and if you feel good try 5 to 6 miles. then we'll see how you are and reschedule your runs if necessary.

Cas - Mr Bump is right a half marathon race is equal to a 15 or 16 mile long run - depending on the course, hilling etc. If you feel you can go out and run 2 or 3 miles at recovery pace either before or after the race, that's great. If you don't want to, don't worry it's not crucial.

Mr Bump - you're just getting fitter and with HRM training you can train for ages at the same HR's and then suddenly have an improvement, it usually comes after a good period of training and a spell when your body recovers from that training. More likely to be from the slower runs not the speedwork.

Last year after 3 months of base training my RHR suddenly dropped from 58 to 52 in about a week.
  • Options
    I ran today. 3 miles at a very slow pace but found I had little energy and had to walk a couple of times.
    I'll do what you suggest Shades and rest tomorrow, going again on Saturday.
    I can't believe how much this bug has knocked me back in terms of tiredness. After about 20 minutes my legs just felt so heavy, thighs ached and my breathing was laboured. My RHR is 56-56 today instead of 47-48. Its very annoying as I've had 6 days off so far but no doubt everything will settle down soon.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    HasL - your RHR says it all, I would keep checking RHR every day and try and get plenty sleep. You'll soon be back to normal
  • Options
    Went for my first tempo run for a couple of weeks today, although my pace was a bit too fast in places(09:54/08:25/07:29/09:21/09:20).

Am going to try for 16 on Sunday.

I hope everyone's training's going well and that those of you who are injured get well soon.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    7.29 !!! - I bet you enjoyed running that mile!
  • Options
    I'm just glad that was an average and it wasn't continuous. lol
  • Options
    Hi you lot, 18mls already i am shattered just reading about it,GOOD LUCK!!
  • Options
    i did my first tempo run after weeks too. The plan was to do in 54minutes and i ended up doing in 52. I felt so energetic. First and lanst mile in more or less 11.00 the rest in 10.00 (it's not precise, because I don't have my garmin with me now.)

Shades - how many miles shall I do on sunday? Can I try 12?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mokina - that's just what I wanted to hear - that you feel good after your race, raring to go and no mention of your knee.

yes, 12 miles, keep it slow. Then we can discuss on Monday any rescheduling of your plan.
  • Options
    never/again: Are you doing an 18 mile run soon, then?

Mokina - Excellent news that the knee is getting better.

Nick - Sounds like you had fun with those quick miles.

HasL - Hope you're feeling better?

---------------

I needed to get a run in today, but was not free at lunch, so I was up & about at 6am. A 4 miles plod at 9:20 average. Didn't want to damage/tire anything.

Going to attempt maybe 15 miles or so tomorrow...
  • Options
    knee was fine indeed! thanks shades, I'll let you know how it goes on sunday!
  • Options
    Mokina and NIck - really good tempo runs and Mokina, glad that the knee is behaving.
  • Options
    NickP and Monica. Great running and that time is so speedy Nick. Glad the knee was ok Monica.

Hope your long run goes well tomorrow Mr. Bump.
    And thanks, yes I am feeling a lot better today.

I went x training round a farmer's market then visited a running shop that has opened so had a good day resting. I will try for 5 miles tomorrow and see how it feels. I think part of the problem with yesterday's run is that the farmers are spraying the fields around here and that always affects my breathing, making my legs heavy and tired. With recovering from the bug too it probably had a worse affect. Hopefully tomorrow's run will be better.

• Options
    Good luck tomorrow HaL - hope you feel much better than you did yesterday.
  • Options
    good luck with all your LSRs
  • Options
    I am feeling pleased with myself as I did 5.5 miles today and although my legs were a bit achey for the last mile, it went well. The RHR is still 4 or 5 bpm quicker than norm but I only ran easy and did it at 11.30 pace. I am glad I didn't atempt a long run though as I know I wouldn't have been able to do that. Looking good for next weeks training.
  • Options
    I guess I was the first of us to do the "Long Run" this weekend...

Well, I did 15.2 miles. The first 5 miles were crap. I very nearly called Mrs Bump to come and pick me up, I was so fed up. Also my dodgy ankle was grumbling again. I was trying to keep the HR <70%, but it felt all "wrong". I felt as though I was cramping up and suddenly I was thinking about this "natural motion" Nike advert (sad, I know!), and I suddenly thought - "let's forget about pace & heart rates and just run naturally as I feel".

So, I did, eventually doing the 15.2 miles in 2:10:30 (8:34/mile)(HR 154/73%). I know this is "high"/"quick" but if I'm running fairly comfortable should this be an issue? I did my long runs last year at intended marathon pace, and I had no idea then what my HR was? However my long run times are 15 secs per mile faster than last year, so can I keep this up for 26.2 miles. I don't know.

Hope all your runs go well. Look forward to hearing the reports.
  • Options
    Mr Bump - well done on you LSR - v. speedy - and particularly on carrying on when you wanted to stop. Hope the ankle isn't complaining too much.

HasL - glad you got out today and that things seem to be on the up - sure you will be back in the swing of things next week.

Well, I have done my LSR as well today - 18 miles (which is probably longer than my longest run for Cardiff as I seem to have overestimated my distances pre-Garmin!) The average pace was 13:21 (which is outside my times) but that did include a couple of lengthy loo stops, waiting for traffic and as my parents were babysitting today, I had to call my Mum every hour to tell her I was OK!!!! (they never stop worrying/caring)
    I was feeling a bit down about the pace and about how rough I felt in miles 17 and 18 but when I looked at the individual splits for miles where I was able to concentrate on running, then they were all within the range I've been given - even miles 16 (12:59) and 17 (13:03) - just!!! so I'm just concentrating on the fact that I am ahead of where I was for Cardiff with definitely one 20 mile race for a bit of company in 2 weeks time....

Hope everyone else is keeping well and looking forward to hearing from others over the weekend.
  • Options
    HasL Glad you're feeling better and that your run went well. Good Lock for the next week

Mr Bump - Well done on your speedy L'S'R!! I'm sure if your training goes to plan you should be able to carry that pace for the whole mara. Positive Thinking :))

Sian - Well done on your LSR - 18 miles is a long long way. You should be really proud of yourself and not worrying about times. If we wanted to be faster we could always stick to shorter distances couldn't we? But how much more fulfilling is it to say you are a marathon runner?

I'm still suffering in the leg department. I've got a funny niggle in my right leg next to the shin. Also I think I've knocked my self confidence having to walk home from my last run so almost daren't set off out again in case the shins start to hurt and I have to walk again. I'm thinking of going to the gym and trying it out on the treadmill first. I can always get off that without embarrassment!

Good luck to all runners / racers tomorrow.
  • Options
    HasL - sounds like things are looking up

MrBump - very speedy, much more scientific than me

Sian - good running - you should be proud of yourself!

Did my 18 miles today - actually nearer 19 as I missed a turning on the canal (told you I wasn't very scientific). Feeling fine but ankle is a tiny bit sore - will rest tomorrow

Hope your niggle improves Tiredgirl treadmill tryout sounds sensible
  • Options
    Well done everyone on the very long runs today.

Mr. Bump, its good you could keep going when you wanted to stop. That determination will be what you need on the day.

Sian - Well done on keeping the pacing even when you could, its harder as the miles go by.

Tiredgirl - good idea with the treadmill. You will soon get that confidence back. Have you thought about sports massage - I know from experience that it can be good for shin pains.

Sluggie - A very long run 19 miles. Look after the ankle.

Shades - As I've missed 2 long runs - last weeks 12 miler and this weeks 18 miler - what would you suggest I do next week? My marathon is on 30th April so I've a week longer that the FLM runners to get another one in or shouldn't I try to?
  • Options
    HasL - Thanks, I have regular sports massage which usually keeps my niggles at bay but It just doesn't seem to be enough at the moment. I've also got a sickness bug today so I'm going to go to bed now to feel very sorry for myself:((
  • Options
    Tiredgirl - I hope you feel better soon.

I don't know what to do today yet, rest or have a small run? Tomorrow is usually a rest day so I could do something this morning :0)
  • Options
    Shades -thanks!! Just done the Dover 1/2 with a pb of 5 mins (1.54.44) and still feel up to the sunday afternoon ironing! Quality v quantity!
    Hope all the long runs/races went well today - liquid sunshine here in Kent!
    :)
  • Options
    Congratulations bo-bo - 5 mins is a lot to knock off in a half, almost 30 secs per mile! Are you aiming for a marathon as well?
  • Options
    Well done bo-bo. Terrific PB.

I ran 5.25 miles this morning. I decided that as I have a rest day tomorrow I would go out for a short run and keep loose. I really enjoyed it and its so good to feel back to normal today, first time in 10 days!
  • Options
    I just want to say a big thankyou to Shades.

I've adapted her 3 runs a week plan and today I ran 20.54 miles. It's the furthest I've ever run and although it wasn't a very fast time (03:54:28) I'm really well pleased with myself.

If you'd said to me 3 years ago I'd be running this kind of distance, I would have fainted at the thought of it!
  • Options
    Well done Cath :-) - great going