Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    tiredgirl - that's good news and it doesn't matter if your long run is slower than target pace as you will still build up on your aerobic base. It's dangerous to go faster that target pace though.

I love marshalling, lots of warm clothes, jelly babies for those struggling and all those encouraging remarks to make.
  • Options
    Thanks Tiredgirl, I have managed to get a bit of breakfast to settle this morning and although the tummy's still a volcanic, the sickness has gone. So that's stopped my training for a few days as I'm tired just walking up the stairs at the moment. At lease I've done one 17 miles run so far and there's plenty of time for more, even if I'm not up to the 18 next weekend but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be back to normal by then.

I hope everyone's long runs/races go well today.
  • Options
    happyaslarry - I hope you recover soon.

tired girl - well done

shades - the marshalls at the race yesterday didn't do any of that. They just watched us as if we were from mars. Being that my first race, i thought that that was normal...but maybe not
  • Options
    HasL - hope you are OK, don't overdo things until youare 100% will you?
    Mokina - no, it's not normal, they are usually nice, though they do have a disturbing tendency to say 'not far now' when it actually is!
    12ish miles today in the rain. Achilles niggling very very slightly so will back off a bit this coming week to be ready for 18 next weekend!
  • Options
    My planned hilling 12 miler turned out to be a hilly 14 miler after a change of mind about my route and then a wrong turn. But I managed to average 10 min miles and felt good.

Spent today marshalling on our club's x country, so I exercised my vocal chords instead of my legs by yelling encouragement (but I did avoid the 'not far now'). Think I'll stick to road running - the clay just looked too sticky and squidgy to run on!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mokina - as you were running in a big event I expect the marshalls were 'hired hands'. Most races are organised by running clubs and it's runners and their families that are marshalling and are usually very friendly.

HasL - glad you're feeling a bit better, take it easy, no running until you feel 100% again.

Cas - great run

sluggie - hope you're achilles is OK.
  • Options
    Well, back from hols etc. - really enjoyed Hawick - lovely part of the world - eaten too much though!

Scoobs - hope the healing continues - sounds encouraging and hope it carries on in the same vein.

HasL - hope you get well soon

Lots of really good running going on....

...well I managed to PB today at Wokingham 1/2 by 11 mins - so 2:35 down to 2:24 (by my watch. Am really encouraged although disappointed not to get closer to 2:20. Averaged 11 min miles (which is better than training pace for a long run of 12+ min/miles) but was on course with 10:30 min miles until mile 6 - suffered with stomach cramps for the first time in a race which necessitated 2 walking breaks between miles 9-11 (although pleased that apart from that I only walked through the drinks stations) and some 12 min. miles. Tried to push in the last 1.1 mile and managed 11 min mile (which did include a hill) so a bit disappointed with that although I did overtake 10 people :-) so hopefully will have avoided my usual position of 11th from last!

I think sub-5 at London is a bit ambitious based on my half-time but at least it's getting closer to my 10k and 10 mile times!

Did you race today Shades?
  • Options
    Monika - did you enjoy the race?

Tiredgirl - glad the shins were ok and you feel confident again.

Sluggie - you are wise to take it easy this week. All these niggles are so annoying.

Cas - I think the marshalls do a great job. Luckily I've never been in a race where they were not cheerfull or appreciated. Good run yesterday.

Sian - Well done on the PB.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SianH - that is a fantastic PB, 11 mins, amazing.

I think you probably went off too fast.

Based on that race your training paces are:-

Long runs 12.05 to 13.05
    Easy runs 12.05 to 12.35
    Tempo runs 10.30 to 11.00

As long as you do all the necessary long runs your estimated marathon time based on your new half PB is about 5.05. But a lot depends on how you cope with the last few miles of the marathon, I think you will be OK as you did a good time for the last mile of your race yesterday. Also if you run the first half too fast in the marathon you could easily end up with 5.30 hours but if you pace it right, I think you will be very close to your target. We have a few weeks to go yet.

I will nearer the time lecture everyone about pacing within a marathon!!

No, I didn't race yesterday, still recovering from a slight foot injury which is healing well.
  • Options
    Thanks Shades for the encouragement.
    I did go off too fast - the first mile was 11:05 but that was with 2 bottlenecks so continued to run at same pace with same people but 2nd mile was 10:05 so think damage done there - did rein it back after that but obviously not enough!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SianH - it is so hard to control the pace in the early stages of a race, even the elite runners do it - but everyone pays for it later.
    You did very well
  • Options
    Sian - terrific pb you must be feeling great

Cautionary tale - I got to the bottom of the Achilles niggle when I took the orthotic insoles out to dry my shoes and found that the clip-on plastic wedge that does all the work of tilting the foot into the right position to control overpronation was not there on the left insole (I later found it on the floor of the spare bedroom). Must have been off for about a week since I last took the insoles out...DOH! never mind, it's back now...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    sluggie - well let's hope that sorts the problem out.
  • Options
    Well done on the PB Sian.

I've marshalled at the White Horse 1/2M and the Abingdon M. I always clap the runners and say 'well done'. At Abingdon a couple of years ago, I was at the 25 mileish mark and helped hand out bits of Mars Bars (other chocolate bars are available).

I managed 13.6 miles at the weekend at 10:10 miling. I've had to swap Tue/Thu for Wed/Fri this week and will be attempting 16 at the weekend as next week, I've got a 10k when I should be doing 16.
  • Options
    happyaslarry - yes, i anjoyed the race even though I'm still not convinced about the marshalls :-)

The results came out today and there were more than 60 people behind me..so I wasn't the last ones. I am also pleased because I was not tired during the race nor afterwards. I spoke comfortably throughout the 10k. So, it seems to me that I can improve my time for my next 10k and aim at a 60 or sub-60 (am I being too optimistic??)
  • Options
    well done Mokina and Nick P
  • Options
    Well done Mokina and Nick P

Mokina - if you could speak comfortably during the 10k you can probably knock quite a bit off your time next time. A friend of mine says if you don't feel like you're going to die at the end of a 10k you haven't tried hard enough! Not sure I agree with that, but they're probably meant to be a bit uncomfortable - probably why I don't like 'em much :). And as for 5k, now that really scares me
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mokina - you ran your race very sensibly as you were trying not to have any further problems with your knee.

I'm sure you can knock a bit more off that PB next time round and sub 60 is certainly within your grasp.

Nick - I always run Abingdon marathon and probably took some chocolate, so thank you.
  • Options
    er sorry Mokina I didn't mean to suggest you weren't trying, just that there might be a bit more to come!
  • Options
    sluggie - no worries, i didn't think you were saying that. But I could have tried a bit more, though
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mokina - there isn't a race that I've ever run where afterwards I thought I could have done better.

What you did by keeping a steady pace from the beginning is what other runners are unable to do. Most runners go off to fast, blow up and have a really miserable time for the rest of the race, so well done.

And if you do the same thing in the marathon you will have a wonderful day whilst all around you you will see the suffering of those that started too fast.
  • Options
    yep

I do every race the bad way
  • Options
    shades - you are right. At the last mile I did a sort of sprint, because I felt fine. maybe next time i should run like I did for the first 3 miles and then speed up on the last three. Who knows!
  • Options
    Hi Hipps - not true I'm sure!

I've been out tonight and the bl**dy shins are playing up again. I haven't taken any anti-inflammatories today so not sure if it's that or the fact that I set off up hill. I was really tired as well so maybe that didn't help.

I'm going to have an early night, take my anti inflams and try again tomorrow. I'll let you know.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mokina - that would be a perfect race plan, run at a controlled pace to halfway then see what's left in the tank.

Hi Hippo - nice to see you on this thread.

tiredgirl - sorry to hear your shins are sore again, your tiredness would have made a difference.
  • Options
    Its the 6th day with no running for me. I am feeling a lot better than I was but not 100 per cent yet. I am hoping that tomorrow I might go for a very gentle couple of miles if I am feeling ok again. Shades, how do you think I should get back to my training after this? I know its not a long lay-off but its enough to upset the routine. I am supposed to do 18 miles on Sunday but I don't know if I should try for a long run or do short ones this week and swap the 18 for the following Sunday's 14 or is that still too long?
    I am feeling tired a lot even though I haven't done anything and still have an unpredictable tum, but things are getting better.
    Or am i being a bit of a wimp and should I just get out there and get on with it??
  • Options
    Its the 6th day with no running for me. I am feeling a lot better than I was but not 100 per cent yet. I am hoping that tomorrow I might go for a very gentle couple of miles if I am feeling ok again. Shades, how do you think I should get back to my training after this? I know its not a long lay-off but its enough to upset the routine. I am supposed to do 18 miles on Sunday but I don't know if I should try for a long run or do short ones this week and swap the 18 for the following Sunday's 14 or is that still too long?
    I am feeling tired a lot even though I haven't done anything and still have an unpredictable tum, but things are getting better.
    Or am i being a bit of a wimp and should I just get out there and get on with it??
  • Options
    Ooops, sorry about the echo.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you're still not feeling well HaL. Not running can be so depressing can't it?

Have you tried those probiotic yoghurt drinks? They're really good at getting things back to normal after a tummy bug.

I think I've had a similar bug for the last two days but I've managed a whole day in the office today and managed some food - not as much as normal though.

Was thinking about getting out for our club run tonight as I've got an HM on sunday which I am determined to do. Shades - I should be doing an 18 miler this weekend, does it matter that I'm doing an HM instead? Should I do a couple of miles in the afternoon to make up the distance??
  • Options
    HasL - Sorry to hear you've not been well. I've been away from the forum for a while and just getting back up to speed. I had a stomach bug with 3 weeks to go before my one and only marathon to date. I only could do 2 runs that week. I did 10 miles midweek and felt really ill afterwards, and then did my final 21 mile run 3 days later and was dead on my feet after 18 miles. I wouldn't do 18 miles this weekend if it was me. You've got plenty of time. Perhaps do a shorter run, and do your 18 miles when you're feeling better.

Cas27 - I read somewhere that racing 13.1 miles is a bit like a steady 16 mile run. If it was me, I'd do a 5 mile run prior to the half-marathon (but if you're looking for a PB, this is a no-no!!!)

[Shades may have a different angle on this].

--------------------

As for me (those of you who are easily bored may like to switch off now). Mon 7 miles (71%; 7:59 pace); Today 7 miles (70% 8:04 pace). I am nursing a calf strain, so no speedy stuff ftb. However, I am delighted that 70% HR on a flat course is 8-min miling.

Shades, what's going on? I was 9 min miling at 70%, 10 weeks ago??? Only thing I'm doing different is a quality session once aweek with some fast friends and a 80% (Tempo) run once a week for anything up to 7 miles.