Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - have a lovely time in Rome, 34 degrees is very hot, not sure you'd fancy a run in that heat, but I think best to pack the kit just in case.

mowzer - not like you to miss Mablethorpe, I really enjoyed that marathon but it's such a long drive from here.

Enjoy your walking holiday, hope it's not in Devon, we have torrential rain here at the moment.

Emmy - glad DD is on your 'to do' list too.  

I'm not surprised that Adam's record was rejected on those grounds, the courses wouldn't have been measured with proper course measurement certificates and verification on the day needs to be done properly too.  Never mind, he's faster now so can probably do better at Windermere.  Each day at Windermere is registered as a proper event with UKA and the event has been accepted before for world record purposes.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy/Shades, I've decided to take my running stuff, but I'd imagine I'm going to have to leave the house very early to have a chance of getting any running done in the relative cool.  And that is heavily dependent on how much red wine (which is very good and very cheap) I drink  ;)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You might want to run to justify a bit more pizza and tiramisu, which I believe you're partial to :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, when I was in Rome a couple of years back, I did a couple of lovely runs along the river at dawn. Pack your gear! ;)
    And no, not into camping. Certainly not before a tough race, at any rate!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, tiramisu and pizza is a strong possibility.  I don't speak Italian, but there is a place there called "Bir & Fud" which, to me, is a pretty good name (it does exactly what it says on the tin) and is where I'll be found on at least one of the nights, as it sells pretty much what I like on holiday.....  :D  

Cal, yeah I was in Rome a couple of years ago too.  This time though, I'm staying with friends on the outskirts (it's about a 20/30-min bus journey to the Colosseum) so not near the river as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah I see. Well, have fun anyway!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:

And no, not into camping. Certainly not before a tough race, at any rate!
    The thought of trying to crawl out of a tent the morning after DD with post race legs brings tears to my eyes.  :'(  If you wanted to stay in Princetown, ideal if you want to go to the post race disco then there are some B & B's, nice hotel about 1.4 miles away https://www.twobridges.co.uk/ .  I've stayed up in Princetown a few times, once I booked a room in the pub, unfortunately it was over the bar, so noisy and not en-suite.  The following year I booked a room at the café, was very basic, flowery nylon bedspread and I had Dave Bedford and his friend staying in the room next to me, crashing around after they'd had a few drinks!.    Last few years I've not bothered with the disco as I usually have a friend staying near here for the weekend and we go for dinner.   But if you wanted to stay down in Newton Abbot and I would drive you to the race we have a few B & B's and a Premier Inn.   Anyway it's a year away, and 6 months before the entries open for 2018 so plenty time to ponder.

I finally got out for first post DD recovery run today, I am NEVER going to leave it so long even though my foot has been quite sore, it's a lot better now.   My DOMS felt a lot better this morning and I was confident of a fairly comfortable run, how wrong I was.  I live on a short gentle hill/slope and as soon as I set off down the hill my quads were screaming at me, not down the centre of the quad but from hip to above knee on the outside of my quads.  Managed to run 5 miles and was much better once I got to the magic 3 miles but my quads are like a spirit level as soon as I was on the gentlest of downward slopes my quads were screaming at me.   I only get this after DD so it must be the muscles used for braking on all the downhills.   Weather very winter like this morning, windy, rain, cold, back to winter kit!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Tried to catch up, but been away for too long!! Anyway;
    SK - Similar role to what I was doing previously, but in a much larger company.
    Iain - Great 5k and 10k times!!
    Ian - Superb HM PB, you are in good form!
    Big G - Well done on another sub 4!
    Shades - Well done on the PB at DD....sounds like a tough course!
    Emmy - Sounds like you had a great time at your marathon!

I'm still ultra training and now picking the miles up, did a 24m on Saturday and 10m on Sunday just gone for a 53m week. Doing Endure 24 as part of a team this weekend so doing 25m/15m over the Saturday and Sunday, 5m laps so hoping I don't get bored...will be doing the 15m early Sunday morning before it gets light as I might be out in the dark at SVP, so need to get used to it.

Hoping to get to Parkrun this month on a cut back week, to see what my shorter speed is like.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It was blowing a gale here in London - absolute torrential rain. After two days of running I wasn't planning on running again today but I did go out for Bikram yoga (my first Bikram class in a while). I actually seemed to do better with it. I'm not quite back where I was pre-injury but my hamstring seemed a lot more cooperative than it had been recently, so I think it may be fixing itself. I want to see how it feels tomorrow after all that stretching.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all! My gosh the weather here has changed for the extreme! Full on gale and rain here today and it's been quite difficult to walk!

Big G - Good man! :) Have a great time in Rome... i'm sure that the red wine will help you run :D Just think of it as heat training for the summer.

Shades - forgetting the course measurements.... knowing what I know I think that there would have been other reasons why it wouldnt have counted.

1Steve - good luck at Endure. That's a good solid training base there!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - hope the job is going well, I realise now that you're working it's not easy to keep up with this thread at times ;)   We do go on a bit.

That's a great idea to use Endure as part of your training and that you've volunteered for the pre dawn section when the rest of your team will be glad to rest.  Running in the dark and if you have to self navigate at the time really slows you done, I realise at Endure you won't have to navigate though.

Cal - good to hear that Liverpool marathon hasn't delayed your recovery from that pesky hamstring issue.

Emmy - rain has gone now, sun is out.  You must have our storms ;)

Re world record, I guess you've unearthed a few 'facts'.

Any plans for your next race?

After my run this morning my DOMS is almost gone, I've even done a bit of housework!   Not sure how I'd be on a downhill though, there's a big advantage to having no stairs to negotiate in my flat.  :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My hamstring was definitely worse today, although that didn't stop me from having a decent run. So, given that a) running an entire fricking marathon did not make it worse, and b) running Sunday and Monday did not make it worse, I conclude that the actual culprit is not running, but Bikram yoga!
    I had the niggle throughout my Manchester training, but it never really got worse. I was doing Bikram at the time but I was doing it less due to the fact the days were shorter and my runs longer, so I could only fit it in 3 times a week.
    After Manchester when I was resting from running, I started doing yoga every day. It was only after that that the hamstring suddenly got angry.
    I could be completely wrong, and I daresay the long runs do cause a bit of repetitive strain, but I'm inclined to think Bikram is more of a factor than running at this point. I'm not quite sure what I'll do about that. I'm going to carry on with Vinyasa and Yin but those classes are in the minority. I may still do some Bikram but I'll have to modify or cut out a good chunk of the poses. I guess we'll see.

Anyway, I did a nice 6 mile (well, 10K) run. I'd wanted to go a little further and a little faster, so after a slow first mile (11:14) and a slightly less slow second mile (10:34) I did three miles at MP (10:07, 10:09, 10:03) and a last mile (and a bit) to cool down.
    It was lovely and sunny, but a little windy still.

I probably won't run tomorrow but I'm going to see Wonder Woman so I may walk to Waterloo if it isn't raining.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Weekly update of the marathon list... :)

Marathon List - please add/amend - sorry for any errors/omissions 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59
    Taunton
    Shades DNS

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

1st May
    Belfast
    Shades DNS

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades

17th June
    Poppyline Marathon
    mowzer

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's really interesting about your hamstring which appears to be aggravated by the Bikram yoga.   Not always easy at the time to identify which poses it might be.  It's only one hamstring isn't it?  So if you managed to heal the damage you could then go back to your normal level of Bikram classes perhaps.
    But it's good news that marathon running is not making it worse.

Just entered a 10 mile race, not until November, happy to accept a £5 discount for my advanced age, so £11 entry fee a bargain. :)   I do like 10 miles as a race distance.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, What a run this morning! Shades, we definitely have your storms! It was so windy this morning, we almost fell over a few times. I'm glad that i managed 19k as i was tempted to turn back when it started raining :(

That's a bargain for a 10miler! There are a few 10milers here but they tend to be the really popular city races so quite expensive.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, after some breathing exercises, side bends and squatting movements, you do a series of balancing poses on one leg. All of these have your torso in a bent forward position, so essentially, you are putting load on the top of the hamstring while it's stretched. So that would be my guess. Then there are some actual hamstring stretches. It's a very hamstring intensive series of movements, overall.
    It's the more flexible of the two hamstrings that is injured. I don't think that's a coincidence.
    10 miles is a great distance - like a half marathon without those three grim miles at the end. My next race is a 10. I hope I can get my speed back up by then.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - You look fab in those photos.. very svelte and strong as well! I've been thinking and to get a course PB after eleven years of running it is really impressive. I've been telling myself that if I need to better my Cognac PB then it needs to be this year or I'll be too old to get any faster but you have just blown that theory away. You're an inspiration  :)

Cal - Good bit of detective work there to track down the cause of your injury.

Big G - Enjoy Rome. Looking forward to some photos  :p
    Speaking of photos that was unbelieveable form for that DD runner. He manages to do that high kick back thing for a whole marathon.. Wow  :o

Galloping around a bit here. The end of term school show is looming and I'm nowhere near ready. I'm doing a dance routine to "Ego" (Willy William) with the older children and a slightly ambitious "We will rock you" routine with the younger ones... or, as they sing it, "We will WOCK you" lol. Anyway, the older ones are coming together but the Queen group is a complete shambles. They just can't get the rhythm at all. Anyway, at least it's less strain on my thighs than last year's Haka. Witter witter witter.. On a running note not much to report, just been easy forest running with the dogs. Quite enjoying pottering round and not getting obsessed with distance, speed etc. Have not used Hokas as they don't feel like forest running shoes. They are just sitting brightly in the shoe cupboard looking at me reproachfully every time I go in there.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say well done to Cal and Iain on recent marathons!!

Shades - Yes, not so easy to catch up when I'm at work...much easier to do so on the laptop at home while watching TV :D

Also I've signed up to my first race of 2018! Will be doing the Guernsey Ultra, 36 miles around the coast, similar to the one I did in Jersey, but 10 miles shorter! Had to sign up early as they only have 80 places (sold out now), yeah so that's in the diary already.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-That will be great news if you've got to the bottom of the hamstring issue.
    Emmy -Hope the winds die down about,been terrible here today at times.
    Steve-Good to see you back,sounds like the trainings going well,I've also got a 36 mile coming up but guessing our targets will be a bit different.
    Shades-Ive never done a 10 mile,can't think of many around here but sounds a nice distance.when you next update the list put me down for July 2nd Wirral ultra please.
    1st run on Anglesey today,just 5 miles easy but not sure where to go so got some ideas now,it's all very hilly around here though :-( 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Ian - enjoy the hills! :) In my 19k run today I had a total of 60m.... that's a bridge! :D 
    1SteveMac- that sounds like a lovely race. Shame that it's sold out!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Morning all, from very sunny Rome! Unfortunately no running for me so far. The place I'm staying is lovely, but any running routes involve navigating a busy main road and I'm unsure if I trust the drivers at the moment ;-) It's a lovely place though, with apricot, plum and fig trees, plus grape vines in the garden. My friend's Mum stocked the fridge with beer, ham and cheese etc, which was very nice of her (I've never met my friend's Mum). On the first night we were here we went to a fantastic pizzarria nearby the house - as we're away from the main city, the place was packed full of locals and it was a great atmosphere in there with all the chit-chat and the food being served. The food and drink were lovely, too, although how the owner got our order right I don't know - he had a large pad, which he was randomly scribbling on with huge writing, in a very flamboyant way! We did a few of the sights yesterday - Trevi fountain, Spanish and Pantheon (my favourite). Just 1-minute from the Pantheon there's a famous coffee shop, again full of locals. You can go in, choose a coffee from a long list, they make it and you drink it whilst stood at the bar. Incredibly good value and probably the best coffee I've ever tasted (I've been before and wanted to go back) - the four very good coffees were €5. I have got some nice pics, but I'm having trouble uploading them at the moment...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - we don't have that many 10 mile races around here and no big city ones, all city races seem to be 10k or half marathons.  

Cal - 1 agree, in a half there's that energy dip at 9/10 miles but with a 10 miler the finish in in sight.

That does sound tough on the hamstrings and while there's a bit of damage there it must be delaying the healing.

mamafox - luckily as the DD is a unique distance it's not just a course PB but a distance PB so I grabbing that!   Picture of me with Bones is in our local paper, it is a good photo.   That photo probably cost me another 10 seconds but I knew I was on for a PB anyway.
    I think we have more years of PB's than we think.

Good luck with the show routines, sounds exhausting.

I think you'll find the Hokas very good off road, that's what most runners use them for.

Steve - Guernsey ultra will be lovely.   When is that?
    I have Guernsey marathon on my to do list.

Ian5 - will certainly put your ultra on the list next time round.
    How's the tendon/foot, OK?

Oh I forgot to mention there were a good few long rolling hills at Anglesey :D

Big G - I wouldn't trust the Italian drivers either, not worth the risk!  Just enjoy all that lovely food, sounds amazing.

Still cold and very windy this morning, tough running out into the headwind, heavy drizzle on the way back.   DOMS has gone now just a little tiredness in my feet and ankles, I guess from all the downhills.   Went to Yin Yoga last night, that was a bit ouchy but worth it as all hip twinges completely gone this morning.   Back to Pilates this morning, I expect I'll find that tough :'(
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Guernsey ultra is May.
    Ian - From what I have heard about it, it's really hilly for the first 16 miles, so my plan is to simply get around!
    Emmy - There is also the Guernsey marathon which covers most of the Island except it's more inland compared to the ultra, which has more places and is in August.

Bringing some speedwork back into my running the past couple of weeks, doing 6 miles with 2m warm up, 2m tempo (around HM pace) and 2m cool down. Might increase the distance of the tempo as training goes on, but more focussed on getting the miles in the legs at the moment.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - oh, I didn't realise it was a 2018 race, remind me nearer the time so I put it on the list.  I'll put your 2017 ultra on the list nearer the time too.

The Guernsey marathon is a road event, I must go sometime, unfortunately as it's BH weekend it's quite an expensive time to travel there but I will do it sometime.   I also have another event that I'm fond of that's on the same weekend in Ireland, Longford.

Pilates was those horrible big stability balls, I hate them.  Don't like touching them, yuk :'(
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

A quick tempo 5k this morning with Rogue as she was struggling a little with running longer. Feeling good but my breathing is still quite tough and laboured :( I've got a new nose spray that i'm hoping will help.

Shades - we could try to organise a Shadies trip to Guernsey?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    LOL Shades, why not? They're quite fun to bounce on.
    Saw Wonder Woman today - it was fun. My exercise was the 90 minute walk to the IMAX at Waterloo. Hammy still a bit sore but feels better than yesterday.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Indeed there are a few hills around here.8 miles today and I mustn't have gone more than half a mile without a hill,very windy aswell today.
    Daft question time but I'm guessing a half marathon 8 days before my ultra isn't a good idea?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades -I forgot to add the foot seems ok again,slightly tender but ok to run on,will have a couple of rest days before my long run on Sunday. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian, I wouldn't risk it (the half, not the foot!).
    Lovely morning so 4 easy at 6:30am. I can feel my hamstring but it's not dreadful. I did feel quite tired though - I had thought about running longer but once I got into the fourth mile I decided no, it wouldn't do me any good.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - is Rogue struggling due to the heat?

Hope that new nose spray works.

Trip to Guernsey would be lovely, but pricey I think.  Not this year as my budget is all gone.   I think next year for August BH weekend I will go back to Longford, one of my favourite events.  Achill is also that weekend and I have promised organiser I will do that race some time.   Too many races to do, not enough time and not enough money :'(

Cal - I hate the stability balls, just touching them is yuk, horrible plastic touch and smell.   Instructor asked us to vote whether we want to use them, result 50/50 and she decided we would use them, some refused to use them at all.  I still used it but avoided some of the exercises where I had to hold it close and touch with hands too much.

Ian - I know you are recovering quickly from your races but maybe resist doing that half marathon this time, unless you will run it at training pace.  If you raced it and picked up a niggle you might not get rid of it before your ultra and it would be a shame.
    Great to hear your foot is almost OK now, glad you're enjoying those Welsh hills :D

Took a rest day today, only because I got up early and ended up watching the election stuff, then needed to go food shopping.