Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Big G - Well done on your race.. and the refuelling afterwards.. fudge, ale and hog sound an excellant combination!
    I think it's lovely that people are responding to your story but can imagine that it could get a bit heavy for you. Did you put your contact details on the article or are people just finding you themselves? Great that people have a chance to hear about the WAY group too. Without your article I bet a lot of people would have no idea about it.

Cal - Hope those antibiotics kick in soon. Thank goodness you went to the GP sooner rather than later.

Steve - Forget about the rubbish run  :)

Shades - You're a star, thank you for sending me on your RW. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. That sky sounded wonderful this morning. I think it was around this time a couple of years ago I was coming over the wind farm hill early one morning, the sky was a beautiful red streaked with a few clouds then suddenly a hot wind blew up and it was like someone was blowing a hairdryer in my face. I felt like Sarah Connor at the end of the first Terminator film.
    That's a shame about your race being cancelled and losing your hotel fee  :/

Another forest run this morning, earlier and less flies so slower than yesterday (on purpose). Think the weather should be getting cooler from now on thank goodness.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great news that your article is helping others,hope you get on ok with people talking to you about it as it must be tough for you.
    Shades-Yes news about draycote,what about Chelmsford or is that too far?
    Steve-The odd bad run is to be expected with the amount you do.
    Cal-Good news on the docs,hope it works quickly.
    6 MP for me today,felt pretty easy and heart rate was low so all good.Need to do 1 mile in the next 2 days to beat Julys total.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, I have an unusual name, so although my settings are tied down quite a lot on facebook, I'm fairly easy to find on there as my name was in the article.  

I've done a short 12x45-sec speed session with my new Garmin.  Unfortunately, the new device hasn't made me any quicker  :p   I'm pleased with it though, so hopefully the battery will last a long time.  By old Garmin 405 didn't have an on/off button (strange, really!), but I can turn this one off when not in use, which I suppose should help.
  • Options
    Thanks all, I just need to be patient and stick to the recovery plan that I have. Another 5 miles today (10 min/miles).

Oh and I actually did an hour of body balance (yoga/streching) on Monday....didn't realise how tight my muscles were until I did that :D
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Went out and did a steady 10-miler this morning.  It was raining for all of it, but as it's not too cold it was a refreshing run for me.  I decided to do it in those Reeboks I've been using for shorter distance races and speed sessions, so it's the longest distance I've been in them.  They were fine, although my hips feel slightly sore which doesn't usually happen for 10-miles.  I don't 100% know if it's because of the shoes or not, but currently I'm still not sure if I'd use them for a marathon.  They're great for the speed sessions etc though, so I'll still use them for those any way.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good news that Garmin delivered as promised and you are pleased with it.

Daft question, if your 405 didn't have an On/Off button how did you get it to switch on?

Steve - you have a wrist sensor for your HRM don't you?  If so, it may have been that giving you incorrect readings.

mamafox - I haven't lost any money on this race cancellation as I had booked a hotel room I could cancel, which I've now done.   It was a couple of years ago on their ultra event that I lost out on the hotel booking.  

Ian - I did consider Chelmsford but it's a long drive, nearly 5 hours each way plus overnight stay.   I try and avoid driving to the SE as much as I can.    I've run at Draycote before, it's round a reservoir, scenic and 5 mile laps and a lovely venue.   I did find a 6 hour challenge race in Hants but it's run on compacted gravel and I know I wouldn't like that.  I even considered Lancaster as I don't have a race that weekend but I already have an event in Chorley in October and can't face that trek up the M6 twice in 4 weeks :D  

I'm sure you can manage a mile or even two in the next couple of days :)

No wonderful sky to admire this morning as cloudy and rain, but lovely summer rain (I'm sure the poor folk in Texas wouldn't agree), and good for running.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't know if you planning your 2018 marathons yet but if you are considering Great Welsh at Llanelli, early bird entries close 31st August.   Race date is 5th April.    Dorchester entries will open at the end of this week, but don't think there's any discount. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the 405 was always on basically as it always showed the time, and then you enabled the GPS when you wanted to go for a run.  When it was broken the other day, no time was showing, but it later sparked into life by itself and the time was showing again :)  I think when it was released Garmin were hoping people would use the 405 as an everyday wrist watch.  When I'm not using the new 230, I'll just turn it off.

Thanks for the info about those races.  I do have a few booked for 2018 already and also I have Dorchester pencilled in, although I may be going to a wedding that weekend.  Not sure yet, so need to hold fire!
  • Options
    Shades - sorry for late reply. I am running the Wton Half on Sunday. I couldn't fit another race in before my Birmingham marathon in October.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks re the 405 explanation.   Bit annoying though that you couldn't turn it off, there are times when you want to save the battery charge.   I think the screen on those that are designed for daily wear is too small for me, as I need reading glasses and wouldn't be able to read any stats easily while running.   And I only wear a watch when I go out, always take it off when I'm at home.

I think it will be a few weeks before Dorchester fills anyway.   And if you're going to do DD you may not want to do a marathon 6 days before DD.

Sorry Great Welsh is 15th April, typo in my earlier post :/

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    John - might see you on the start line then :)  You're in good shape now to do a half marathon.    I thought you were doing Abingdon marathon, I must have got that wrong ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Weather currently looks to be, urrrrm, let's say "variable", for Sunday's City to Sea :s

Oh well, it will make the fish and chips at the end even better :)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well you shouldn't have to worry about sunstroke.   I think the worst of the rain is after lunch so you should be OK.   But probably not ideal conditions for your first trail marathon :(  

Forecast is better for Wolverhampton I believe  :p  

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Not surprised you don't fancy the M6 twice,I wouldn't fancy a drive 2 Devon that often.
    Big G-Hope that forecast changes for you.
    John-Good luck with the half,think you'll do good now you're long runs are going well.
    I had a 6 mile planned in today,and remembered about the 5k seaside run so decided to jog 3 miles there and do the 5k as my last real effort before Lancaster.
    Started crowdy but soon opened out,it's a decent flat course with 1 slightly off road hill then a good straight 1.2 miles run to the finish.
    After the first km I was 4 seconds behind 20 min pace but wasn't bothered as I didn't think I'd get 20,got to 3k and was only 6 secs behind and I'd done the hill so started thinking I had a chance,got to 4k and I'd managed to sneak 1 second ahead so really pushed to the end,done the last mile in 6:12 to finish in 19:50 !!!
    Cannot believe that I got sub 20,felt strong and still had a little in the tank,the last 2km were my 2 fastest and I felt strong at the end overtaking people,thought I'd blown it at the end,off the 2nd to last bend there was lots of sand and it slowed me down but managed to get through it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - amazing running well done.  Your 3 mile warm up must just have been the perfect pre race warm up for you, brilliant.

Of course  you realise that you that you've now thrown the gauntlet down to Big G for his 5km on Tuesday. :p

Hilly run today and I found it really hard, even stopped and turned off my Garmin to admire the stunning views of Dartmoor, but in reality I wanted to catch my breath :D
  • Options
    Shades - Yes I have a wrist based HRM.
    Ian - Fantastic running!! Your training is paying off big time now! Sub 20 is a big milestone, congrats! If you still had a bit in the tank too, that is very promising!
    Big G - Good luck for City to Sea.
    Shades & John - Good luck for Wolverhampton.

6 mile recovery today, but planning next year races :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great time there Ian!  Well done.  Looks like you kind of did the opposite tactic to what I was thinking of doing, in that you went out relatively steady and sped up.  On that 20:01 I managed, I did precisely the opposite!  

Shades, about the rain forecast, I'm still thinking road shoes all the way at the moment for City to Sea.  Do you know that section from Sheldon to Babbacombe at all?  The first 20-miles will be fine, but it's that last bit where trail shoes may be better.  What do you reckon?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Big G beat my time last week so hopefully he can do it again.
    Big G- I normally go out too fast but decided to see if I could pace it slightly differently,each mile was only a couple of seconds apart and each was faster than the previous so paced well,if the sand and off road hilly bit wasn't there then I could knock a bit more off.
    2 rest days now,only had 2 in 21 days so well deserved break for my legs.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - maybe it was just freak readings then and not your rising heartrate, it does happen.

Have fun choosing next year's races, I love doing all the pondering and spend so much time on possible logistics.   I've already chosen my goal event for next year, just have to decide the race distance :/  

Big G - I don't know that section of the coastal path at all, I avoid that sort of off road :D     Well it depends how much different/better the grip might be with your trail shoes.   Many road shoes have just as good grip as trail shoes.   I do have some road shoes that are not so good in the wet though and they are the ones with a more plastic (less flexible) sole than a rubber type.  You know you'll be slowing down for the last few miles so I would opt for the shoes that you feel more comfortable in, as it's going to rain it's going to much easier to get blisters with wet feet so I would take that into consideration too.

• Options
    Ian, fantastic! Sub-20 is such a milestone!
    Nothing to report here - took a full rest day on Tuesday, then did a bit of yoga at home yesterday and my usual 6.30am class today. The unwell feeling seems to have gone and the bite is no longer itchy and much less red, so the antibiotics seem to be doing their thing. However, I really don't like that hip. I booked a massage for yesterday but it was cancelled as my masseur was delayed on the way back from his holiday, so I'm doing it tomorrow afternoon. I may try a little run tomorrow morning to see how it goes, but if my hip is still sore I will have to DNS Maidenhead.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks.  I think I'm just going to stick with road shoes.  Someone has offered to take some trail shoes for me to Shaldon, but I think if it's really bad underfoot the trail shoes won't make a massive amount of difference anyway.  I'll have a think and keep an eye on the forecast.  I don't usually run with a rain jacket but I think I may have to this weekend if the forecast is correct, and maybe take a change of clothes with me too.

I have been contemplating a run all day, but I'm afraid to say I don't really want to get wet!  If it eases off for a bit, I may go out later on.

Just booked Great Welsh..... :)

Cal, fingers crossed your hip is a bit better tomorrow!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Hopefully you are on the road to recovery now.
    Steve-I'm looking at next years races also,will do 2 potential schedules depending on if I get into London or not.
    Thought about running today after work as I feel good,but decided to play safe and take my rest days,easy to get carried away after a good run.
    So August completed with a new high of 212 miles,possibly the most I will do in a while as I am racing next 2 months and then it depends on how much time I can fit around my new job.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I went out for what was supposed to be a 10x400metre rep session today with the sparkly new watch.  It turns out that I had accidentally programmed it to be 10x400mile reps.....  :)  I therefore ended up doing 10x80sec reps with around 2mins recovery, and then came home and edited the programme so it's correct for next time.  Whoops!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Decent reps planned there big g  :D Result came through officially,wasn't chipped so all times gun,came in at 19:51,54 so delighted it's official,31st out of 219.
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hi Shadies,
    Just logging on and I have 1200 notifications! Have been a bit rubbish keeping up with the thread but have enjoyed catching up on how you are all doing.

Shades - well done on the IOM but sorry to hear the knee has been niggley. Hope you have a new WM now!

Steve-I've already congratulated you on Strava, but well done again on the 100K!

MF - great news re the caravan, the mojo returning and on starting P&D.

Big G - I'm going to go out tomorrow for a copy of RW. Good to hear the running is going well.

Ian - nice one on the sub 20 and if my own experience is typical, sub 90 HM and sub 40 10k should follow soon!

Cal - bloody insect bites. I've had worse bites in the UK this year than in Italy, there are some nasty ones around. Hope you are OK for Maidenhead - I might see you there as am running it too!

Not a lot to report here... Had a nice holiday in Italy, except the 2nd week was too bloody hot (in the 40s every day). Felt like Mamafox as encountered deer and wild boar on one of my runs. Enjoyed watching the  Worlds and went to see a few of the sessions, including Laura Muir and Mo's 5k and the relays. Have been running regularly with my club over the last few weeks and have tried to keep up the track stuff. My 10 yo has been coming to track too and has started to enjoy it! Have entered quite a few races over the next few weeks including Maidenhead HM (with Cal), Harrow HM (2 weeks later), Moor Park 10k, Cabbage Patch 10M and then maybe another 10M race after that, if I'm not injured by then! Bit apprehensive about doing a HM when I don't have the endurance gains from marathon training but it will be good to see where I'm at.

And I am now on 98 parkruns!!! 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good that the antibiotics are working.  I hope that hip problem is just a passing niggle.

Big G - if you're thinking of changing shoes at Shaldon don't forget the socks too, your feet will be wet by then.   Yes, definitely pack a change of clothes for the finish as you will be wet.    Might be a bit warm for a jacket and you'll probably only wear it for a short time depending on the chill factor, but if you do a lot of walking in the last hilly bit it may well be useful then.

I thought you were indifferent to entering Great Welsh, it's a nice race and if the weather isn't windy, a fast course, my seasons best for 2017 was at that race.

ha, ha at 400 mile reps :D

Ian - is it October that London ballot places allocated?   Well done on a great mileage month for you :)

SK - welcome back, I thought of you when they were on about the heatwave in Italy, that's hot :'(

I was only without a washing machine for 2 days, I can't manage without one for long, new one is brilliant, just a newer model of what I had before but quieter and does wash better.

Good luck at Maidenhead this weekend, I'm sure your speed is still there but it might feel a lot harder.   Marathon training does make the endurance part of the race easier.

Taking a rest day today as knee started niggling yesterday afternoon, so just being cautious.   I have sore abs too but that's from the killer Pilates session I did Tuesday :)

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Those times seem a bit out of reach for me,but then so did sub 20 a few weeks ago.
    Shades-Early October I think I read,so around Chester time.
    Really unsure at the minute about next year,think it will depend on how my upcoming races go.Depending on the times I could set myself a tough marathon time target and make that my main focus,or if I struggle then just go for an ultra again.Will see what the next 6 weeks bring and look again.
  • Options
    Lovely morning for a run - cool and bright. I did 5 miles. My hip stiffened up during the second mile but didn't get worse and I was able to run with it OK. Although I started fairly easy, it turned into a progression run of sorts, with the last two miles at MP. So, sort of postive. Except, during the final mile, there's a bit where I run downhill a little way (it's where the road goes over the railway. Normally I let my legs go down there, but today I felt off-kilter and had to slow myself. Had to do the same thing on Monday at one point - it's like a mini-vertigo. So that's not good.
    Not sure if this is tiredness (I slept a bit less than 6 hours last night - the same before Monday) or the antibiotics/infection. I still feel a bit woozy now.
    I'm getting a massage later so I will ask my masseur what he thinks. At the moment, common sense is telling me not to race, but I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow, I think. I've got Richmond in two weeks and I really enjoy that race and have always done well there (4 minute PB the first time, then my first sub-2 last year). I don't want to stuff myself up for that, or Royal Parks three weeks later where I'm being sponsored.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, looks like you've got lots of planed in terms of races.  Are you still unsure about London next year?  Glad you had a nice time in Italy, although that does sound very hot!

Ian, I've entered the ballot as well, but I already know I can't do London in 2018 as a few of us are going to the snooker again, and it falls on the same weekend.  If I am lucky in the ballot again, I'll just immediately defer it.

Shades, 15th Apr is my Dad's birthday, so I just wanted to check he'd be fine if we went out for a meal on the evening of the 15th rather than the 14th (as usual), and he's fine with it, so I entered Great Welsh :)  I've booked a cheap B&B nearby, so will get up there early on the Saturday, all being well.  It's about 3hrs from here, so not too bad really.

I hope Dorchester doesn't sell out, but I'm not sure about the logistics/costs of this wedding yet.  My friend is getting married in Austria, which sound really nice and I have never been before, but she's getting married in the middle of nowhere near the Dolomites.  It's a stunning location and I'd like to go, but costs could run away a little bit with hire cars needed etc, so I'm just trying to figure stuff out.  I need to speak to her really, so we're trying to arrange a Skype session.  If I don't go, I think she's coming over to the UK soon after, so I'll catchup with her then - she understands about the concern over costs, so will be okay with this I think.

She and her husband-to-be have got very cool jobs, I think.  They spend most of their time in Africa photographing wild animals, or making TV programmes for the likes of the BBC and other TV companies.  They've been over there for something like 10 years now I think.  His name is Hannes Lochner, and if you Google his name and look at his images, there is some great stuff there, and he has a few books out with his images which are very good.  I think they live in fairly basic accommodation when over in Africa, but they seem to absolutely love it.  She speaks something like 8 different languages, but it's quite funny as often she mixes languages up, so will be talking in English and then accidentally mix in some Austrian, etc etc.  Afterwards, she knows she's done it, but she can't seem to stop it....
  • Options
    Big G, just bought RW!! Not read the article yet but lovely pics!