Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the minutes have come out from the coaching meeting and there will no real change to paces or general set up of sessions, or advice for which session to go in.  In fact, the notes seem to be continuing to encourage people to "move up" generally, although they are going to have a range of speeds for the group as opposed to a set speed.  Oh well, at least I tried.
  • Options
    Big G - Nice 10k. Agree with Shades you are clearly in better shape than you think you are!
    Ian - Nice weekly mileage and long run.
    Cal - Hope it clears up soon.
    Shades - Sorry to hear about the DNS

Just the 3 miles for me and the 7 miles for the week. However the 3 miles were very hilly!! I was away for the weekend at a track day, so ran from hotel and down a trail, which ended up going down a big hill (about 390 ft), which I then obviously had to run back up!! Some of the sections on the hill were 10% gradiant.....was hard work for what was meant to be an easy run :D

Then got to blast around a track in a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Nissan GTR and Jaguar F Type!! Brilliant experience!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Tooth out,and as luck would have it my dentist is a 2:50 marathon runner so little chat about that,did advise me no running today though so rest day it is.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Shades, the minutes have come out from the coaching meeting and there will no real change to paces or general set up of sessions, or advice for which session to go in.  In fact, the notes seem to be continuing to encourage people to "move up" generally, although they are going to have a range of speeds for the group as opposed to a set speed.  Oh well, at least I tried.
    Hmmm - maybe I should take that back a bit.  The "social" run group is now advertised as 10 to 12min/miles (this wasn't in the Minutes, but the training diary has been updated with that), with the faster runners in that group *having* to loop back to keep the group together.  To be honest, that's a big improvement as often that "social" group was 9min/miles, which was too quick.  So that is an improvement, to be fair.  There's no advice offered for what is the better group for people and with the encouragement to move up the groups, I envisage people will still be training too fast and go in the wrong group.  I know that bit is difficult as we all run at different paces, or maybe someone may want more of a "tempo" type run, but I personally would have liked to have seen some guidance for easy-paced distance training.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - bad luck on the tooth but good luck that your dentist is a marathon runner, that is a good distraction being able to chat about your running.   Yes, be careful and don't run until you feel 100%, you're vulnerable to infection and you want it to heal quickly.

Steve - you've been living the high life!   You'd better start saving if you want one of them. Which one did you like best?

Big G - re the coaching at your club, it was always going to be difficult to implement changes when you weren't at the meeting to argue your case.   But that's a great improvement for the social group, making it clear on the pace and that faster runners must loop back, which a lot of them won't like doing.  Surely they could put in a few guidelines, such as 'for those marathon training, if you are not following a specific plan, we would advise that you do 80% of your training at easy to long run pace, that may mean you drop down a group'

But it's a good start, will be interesting to see if the social run group changes.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G- I just had a glance at the website and they have a marathon section.Could someone expand a bit more on that then it will be easier to point people in the right direction to read in their own time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian/Big G - I just read the marathon training on the website and it consists of 1 mile time trials, how confusing is that for a virgin marathon runner!   The Q & A sessions are a good idea though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, great experience there.  Not sure if you're aware, but I used to own a Caterham...I took that on a track occasionally, and it was a fantastic car on the track.  It was good on the roads as well, but better on the track in many ways.  I sold it 3 years ago though.

Shades, yeah, it's a shame I couldn't have been there but I didn't want to pull out of that meal I was invited to, as I had confirmed I was going to that for a long time, with meals pre-booked etc.  But, it's an improvment, so I'm pleased about that.

Ian, I'll see if I can speak to the coach coordinator about that marathon page.  Shades, yes, those 1-mile time trials were a bit odd for the marathon training sessions.  
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Wow Big G! That was a great result and in spite of/ thanks to(!) all those extra marathons. You are inching towards a new PB there as too. Well done you. Have you made a decision re Munich yet?
    I am going to be following the P&D 55-70 plan. The mileage is around what I normally do but it's the speedwork which is going to pose the problem. I think the first week of the plan asks for a long run with MP thrown in which I usually find pretty much impossible even in the run up to a marathon let alone a couple of months before.

Ian - Congrats on the promotion!

Cal - Sending healing vibes your way.

Shades - Sorry that knee niggle stopped you turning up for that Bath race. Doesn't sound as if it would have been a good idea to run though and set yourself back again. Step away from the computer if you start thinking about Googling an injury.. 
    That show sounded fabulous, especially the dog racing! Weren't there any fights?! I like a good west country accent, well all accents really but I think my favourite is an Irish one.

I managed to get a 32k in yesterday after months of putting it off. Got everything ready the night before and left mega early (isn't it getting darker sooner?) for my usual long run circuit. I haven't done this one since before Blaye in June and it was interesting seeing how the fields etc have changed. The sunflowers have flowered and are already dropping their heads and dying plus there have been loads of other changes too long to note here. Anyway, I started slow and just got progressively slower  :| I didn't go out with any pace in mind, just to "get it done" as it were as I don't really enjoy long runs. Up to 2 hrs is ok but after that I just get bored and tired, I enjoy the satisfaction afterwards though. Am very pleased to have done it and now clocked up a decent mileage for this week.
    I am going to have to start thinking about more shoes as have worn through the sole of my Hokas. I'm not through to my foot or anything but the first layer on the heel has worn down to the colour underneath  :/ 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Big G - I've got my copy of RW and I think your double page spread is fabulous. :) :)   Lovely photos and I think the editorial is well written and interesting.   I hope you'll be pleased with it, when does it go on sale in the shops?

mamafox - I know it's not good to google an injury, anyway at the end of it I just decided to do what I can and what I have is probably wear and tear so just get on with it.

When do you start the P & D?  Maybe soften the speed session paces a little to ease yourself into it?

At the show, the dogs didn't fight at all, they were so intent on doing what their instincts tell them, chase and catch that they were ignoring the other dogs.  The 2 dogs that were best were a Border Terrier and a Beagle, but the Beagle wasn't such a fast runner.   The Jack Russell dogs were good but not so good at chasing the length of the field.  But it was fun to see the hunting instinct come out in all the dogs.

Well done on getting a long run done, agree so much darker in the mornings now.   You must be getting some mileage out those Hokas!  Do you scuff your feet when you run?   I would think you've still got a lot of wear left in them, wearing the outsole is not a sign of wearing the shoe out, it's the cushioning in the shoe that counts

Email or pm me your real name and address and I'll post the copy of RW to you, I'll have it read in a day or so.

Warm and humid again this morning but a breeze so much nicer for running.   Very dark now, I'm back to wearing my fluorescent vest for my early runs.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades.  A couple of people have mentioned it's in there.  It looks good - I look *very* serious though, but I'm pleased I've done it and it's come out well.  I was told it will available on 24th Aug, so I'll definitely get a copy.

MF, ahem, yeah....I've upgraded to Munich Marathon.  I'll blame you and Shades ;)  Well, I've pressed the button anyway, which I did last Friday, but the money hasn't gone yet.  I'll chase them tomorrow to see what's happening if it's not gone tomorrow.  Partly because of that, I have decided to defer Barnstaple as the calendar just looked too crammed with events around that time for me.  Well done on your long run.  It sounds like you're starting P&D in great shape.

--
    I took an unplanned rest day yesterday.  My legs just felt really tired - not in a DOMS/Marathon-type way, but just heavy and lethargic.  I'm sure it can't just be because of that 10K I did, but I just felt a rest day was needed anyway.  I ran this morning, and got a 7-miles in at a steady pace and pretty felt good, although it was humid.  Depending on how the day goes, I've got some kind of interval/rep session in mind for later on, and hoping for around 50-miles again this week, all being well.
  • Options
    Big G - my copy just arrived too and I agree it's a nice article. I think you'll be pleased. And great result. You're on fire at the moment! I also agree that 10-12 min/mi is a much better pace. I think a lot of clubs lose sight of that. I absolutely guarantee that if I did my own club's social run, it'd be a tempo run for me.
    Ian - it's a shame your dentist isn't a 2:30 marathon runner. :lol:
    Well done on the long run, mamafox.
    Steve - sounds like a great driving experience. Back when I worked on games mags we'd get a lot of jollies from the publishers (at least we did in the mid-90s, before the games industry got too corporate) and the first one I ever went on was to the Lotus factory, where I got to drive an Esprit around the test track. That was fun. (Got to drive a tank on another occassion...)
    I've done nothing but Vinyasa yoga for three days, although I did some glute stuff yesterday. Squats and bridges and what-not.
    Decided to see what I could do today. Very warm and muggy as you say, Shades. As I would be walking and working out in the playground, I went for a long-sleeved top, which turned out to be a mistake as I was sweating bricks after a while.
    Started with a brisk 2 mile walk around the common, then did some stuff in the playground - calf raises, step-ups (and push-ups, though that was just to give my legs a break) and then some drills - walking on tip toes, walking on heels, walking with high knees, blah blah. Then I progressed to running drills which didn't present much of a problem (the playground is covered in that rubbery stuff so it's nice to run on) and then I did a little jog around the pond, followed by a four sprints, increasing in speed each time.
    I am going to see how my lower leg reacts to that but hopefully I may be able to get out for a jog tomorrow and see where that takes me. I've not used my calf sleeves all summer but I think it might be prudent now (not least because I've not shaved my legs for a week...)
  • Options
    Shades - Really liked the Jag F Type....I've started saving, should have one in 50 years :D
    Big G - Nice, they are really cool track cars!
    Cal - Nice...bet the Lotus was a bit faster than the tank!

Just another 3 miles today, nice and easy pace and HR.

Shades - Should I run a HM before Birmingham? I kind of want to, to see what shape I'm in, but as it will be next weekend, I kind of feel it's too soon after the ultra. So thinking I should just recover and marathon train then run Birmingham with no build up race?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Thanks Shades.  A couple of people have mentioned it's in there.  It looks good - I look *very* serious though, but I'm pleased I've done it and it's come out well.  I was told it will available on 24th Aug, so I'll definitely get a copy.

Not so much serious, more thoughtful, bordering on brooding, and I think that captures the tone in the right way.

Congrats on upgrade for Munich, as you can defer Barnstaple it seems sensible to opt for an overseas marathon while you have the opportunity.

I'm sure the humidity we have would make anyone feel a bit lethargic at the moment.

Cal - sounds like you're making a promising recovery. :)

Steve - oh well, maybe buy a lottery ticket, 50 years is a long time to save for anything  ;)

Re the half marathon, well it's your legs.  You have no injuries and I expect you'll be over any residual tiredness so give it a go....13.1 miles should feel very short!

• Options
    Shades is quite right, Big G. In a piece about someone who is dealing with loss, it'd be a bit strange if you were happy and laughing. Anyway, you look good in it.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mamafox-Thats a great long run,well done.
    Big G-Sounds like the mag has worked out well,great that you're happy with it.
    Cal-I wish I'd thought of that at the time  :D 
    Went for 7 miles today,very humid and sticky and it felt tough,don't think it was any after effects from yesterday,more the weather and cumulative mileage,one more decent week then taper time.
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Ian - congrats on your promotion.

Shades & Cal - hope the injuries are clearing up now.

Big G - a good result in your 10k. My copy of RW has also arrived. I think the article ( and photos) are very good.

mamafox - how's the caravan?

Not much from me I'm afraid. No running last week as I was resting the foot again. Went to London last Friday to see my brother and sister-in-law - and, as usual, she laid on a healthy and delicious lunch. Might be the last time I ever need to go into London as they are hoping to move to Japan in the autumn . Will I miss London? Definitely NO.
    A long walk with the LDWA group on Sunday (21miles). Around Cambridgeshire so no hills but I was still knackered. A short run/walk this afternoon. 
    I don't know what happened to all the sun and hot weather we were promised this week. It's raining again.
  • Options
    Does that mean you get to go to Japan, mowzer? I went once, back in 2009, and would love to go back. Amazing place.

I had a successful run today. I started very cautiously (taped and compressed - I even walked around the block and did some drills before I started whereas usually I do a few glute bridges indoors and then start running as soon as my Garmin gets a signal) - first mile was 11:40 which is basically a snail's pace. I had intended to do 4 miles (my basic minimum, parkrun excepted) unless I felt any discomfort. As it was, whilst I did feel a faint whisper of something a couple of times in the problem zone, my left heel and hamstring were a lot grouchier. Hamstring probably didn't enjoy the stress test sprints I did yesterday. I'm not worried about it - it likes to bitch and moan from time to time. I just ignore it now.
    Anyway, I got to 4 miles and was on the wrong end of the common, so I kept going, especially since I felt as though I was starting to open up a bit. Then I got to 5 miles and found I was enjoying the run (despite the fact it was warm and disgustingly muggy) so I did the last mile a bit quicker - MP it turned out.
    I went to the playground after but everything was wet and the leafblower guy was there so I just did my heel drops and buggered off.

I feel happy my right lower leg felt more or less OK and the run overall exceeded my very low expectations. I may or may not run tomorrow, since it's 6.30am yoga day and I don't generally like to run after yoga, but we'll see.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mowzer - is your sister in law Japanese?  I'm only guessing as the healthy food and emigrating to Japan.   Hope you get to visit, they're crazy over there about marathon running. :)

Sorry to hear the foot is still sore and giving you some grief.   Have you got any more events to add to our marathon list or are you going to rest your foot for the time being?

Cal - that's really good news on your injury, looks like you caught that one in time to stop it developing any further.

Still very humid here for my run but it did feel like it was starting to freshen up a bit by the end of my run.   My hip flexors are a bit tight, haven't been to Yin Yoga for a couple of weeks for various reasons and I've had to cancel tonight as I've expecting the plumber :/    Better do some stretches today for my hips.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Glad your run went well Cal.

I did a hill-rep session last night, which was on exactly the same hill that I did last week, but I was about 5-secs per rep slower this week.  No idea why, as I was up for it and thought it was going to go well.  I'll blame it on a headwind....

I've got up a bit later today, but I'm going out for a run soon.  I have a run planned which is about 8-miles or so (I haven't done it before), about 2/3 of which is on hilly trails.  I haven't ran with my camelbak for a while, so I'm going to go out with that today.  It's not that I'll need the water especially, but I have City to Sea soon, so want to remember what it's like!

I have had lots of very nice comments about the RW article from friends, and WAY are happy with it too.  So I'm really pleased I did it, and how it's come across.  The photographer is sending me a few pics later, including the two that made the mag along with some others.  He's on Instagram and he posted some on there too so I've seen a few more already, but it'll be nice for me to have them as they are good quality pics.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - blame the headwind and the humidity on your very slightly slower hill reps.

I'm glad you're pleased with the RW article, that's is important.   Nice of the photographer to send you some of the pics too.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Glad it was better today.
    Big G-Really good that everyone is happy with it esp yourself. Need to get yourself some frames for when the photos arrive.
    Still felt very humid and not quite right today so did 5.5 instead of 8 miles today,felt a bit better than yesterday but not 100%,should still hit 50 this week again though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Got my run done, and really enjoyed it.  It was 8.5-miles in the end with a few steep hills that I walked up, and then ran the flat bits and downhills much like I'll be doing at City to Sea.  1hr36 it took me (about 11:30min/mile average), but I wasn't worried about the time in any case.
  • Options
    Shades - Might give the HM a miss and just focus on the marathon.
    Big G - Glad you are pleased with the article/photos.
    Cal - Good to hear!

More rest for me, 4 miles planned tomorrow.
  • Options
    Did my 14 mile long run on Sunday, and it went well. It was a hilly route but I felt good and I was so glad my stomach seems to be feeling better. It really made me feel lethargic on my previous long run of 18 miles the week before. I wanted to complete my 14 miles without any nutrition, only water just to get my body to learn to burn fat and hopefully help prevent hitting the wall in my race in October. I did feel hungry in the last mile but increased my pace to see how I felt and ran my fastest mile which was also uphill, so overall I was pleased with the run. 5 miles easy yesterday, I will do 5 miles Tempo on Thursday and then its a big one for me (20 miles - longest ever run) on Sunday. Not sure what to do about taking any nutrition on this one, maybe a couple of gels I think. I am also going to keep this run fairly flat. I am really pleased with my new Mizuno Waver Riders shoes, they are the most cushioned shoe I have every worm, and may replace my Nike Pegasus on the long runs, just want to break them in a bit more on the shorter runs
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    John-Great news that your long runs seem to be getting better,definitely take some gels with you just incase you need a boost.On my long runs I always have a couple just in case.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hope you're feeling a bit better now.

Steve - plenty more half marathons to do at a time that suits you better.   Are you aiming for a marathon PB at Birmingham?

John  - well done, you are getting to know your own body's needs and it's good not to rely on gels/sports drinks too much.   Ian is right, take some gels with you, after all you don't have to use them all but sometimes we just feel we need more fuel than on other runs.   When I do a long run, I take a pound coin with me too and if I feel I need more energy I pop into a garage or shop and buy a Mars Bar or something similar.  Most times I don't use the money, but it's there just in case.
    Looks like you've found the right shoe for your marathon training and race, they have a very good reputation, I've had a pair of Wave Riders before and they are high mileage shoes too so will last well.

Big G - I expect you've had the same email as me from Gloucester, now there is going to be a full marathon and giving a discount code for 2018 entry £25, can't resist that bargain and I don't need my race number. :)

Still warmish here but maybe not quite so humid.  I've been doing all my running on the flat with a bit of undulating here and there, but decided this morning to do a hilly run to test my knee as sometimes it hurts going up stairs and wanted to see if it hurt running up hill.   Anyway we're not short of hills here, so 5.65 miles done with 571 feet of climb :'(  I enjoyed it and my knee was fine, however, more hill running is required on a fitness level. :)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Finished reading my copy of RW, (don't forget non subscribers should be in the shops today, October edition)  and there is piece on Yin Yoga for those interested with a few of the stretches.   There is also a shoe review which I need to study a bit more carefully and make a few notes in my little book then I'm ready to post to mamafox when she mails me. :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was just about to say the same to you about the discount code.  I've entered too :)  Good news they're putting it on again.

Good news your knee is feeling better.  That 8.5-miler I did had 1055ft of elevation, but like i said I did walk the uphills, so it was fine and not really hill training for me.

Regarding the RW shoe review, the Asics that I got given by RW are in there (I was flicking through a friend's copy - I'll get mine today).  They're the Asics Roadhawks.  The description said something about them being best for light runners, which I'm not, so maybe I won't get much wear out of them.  Having said that, it also said something like they are good for runners who want to try a lighter shoe, which is me!  Anyway, I haven't worn them since the shoot, but they felt great on the small amount of running that I did in them.  I've been doing my speed work and that 5K and 10K race in my Reeboks.

During yesterday's 8.5 miler I had a speed session with the club in mind for yesterday evening, as it's one of my faves, and was being held on a road not a park (if it had been a park, I probably wouldn't have gone).  We call it a fartlek session and in terms of minutes the session is 1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1, with the same recoveries in between.  So basically it's 17-mins of effort with 17-mins of recovery.  Sounds easy....on paper ;)  The 1-min reps are 5K pace, 2-min reps are 10K pace and the 3-min reps are Half pace, and it's a really good session, and the type of session that I always get more out of myself when running with the club.  If I'd done it on my own I know I wouldn't have done as well, but I really enjoyed it.

You may remember I've struggled with speed sessions in the past, with me breaking myself.  I don't know why really, but over the last few weeks I've been able to do more speed work than I have been able to handle for a long time, so I'm feeling pretty good about it at the moment.  Possibly it's because I'm just a bit stronger, but I think the double-days are helping me too.  I.E., my weekly mileage is still reasonable, but I'm not doing long runs followed by speed work the next day.  I think that may be helping with the injuries, along with the stretching I do.  As I've written all that out, I now do not want to get injured, but as I type this I have no niggles at all.

Anyway, all that means that if the last 5K of the summer series in September is held in good conditions, I'm going to give it a go for that sub-20 as it will be my final chance this year I think (I'm don't think I'm going to get it at parkrun, due to the course).  Of course I may not get it in Sept, but I can try anyway :)  It's two days after a marathon though, so I'll decide on the day depending on how I'm feeling.  Also, if it's windy, I expect I won't race as I think to stand a chance I need good weather conditions for me (headwind does me no favours at all!).  But if it's good conditions and I'm feeling okay, I'm going to give it a crack.
  • Options
    Shades - Hopefully yes I'll be PB hunting. Would like sub 3:10 as missed out by a few seconds at Manchester. However will most likely aim for GFA for London (3:05).