Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Interesting that about McCourt, but he's right, it doesn't suit everyone to lose that daily structure in their life.  

Dewi doesn't have to do gym work he's doing all that sort of stuff in his job, he mentions that when Britain was at it's best in the world of marathon runners was when the runners all worked full time, many at demanding manual jobs and ran 100-120 mpw.

I had a quick look at Florence but can't afford it next year, maybe the year after.  But if you do look, flights to Florence are limited at that time of year and probably easier to fly to Pisa, there's a regular and cheap coach service from Pisa airport to Florence city for about €10 return

• Options
    Hi Shadies!

Firstly a massive well done to Big G for a blinder of a PB. I didn't even realise you were doing Nottingham.. "just" something you were doing over the weekend and then you went and cracked a sub 3:30  :D Enjoyed your report too. What sort of races have you got in mind for next year?

Ian - Well done on your race too, must have been a relief not to let the club down!

SK - Great prizes and a new PB.. there's no stopping you  :)

Mowzer - You've been busy too  :) Regarding a post a while ago.. I didn't think you were doubting my exploits(!) but it just seems one thing after another at the moment and even I'm saying.. yeah.. right.. as I'm typing stuff!

Runforthehills - Welcome :)

Cal - Geat news on the hip. Thank God. Have you tried running to HR before? I can really recommend it, takes all the pressure off speed. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into a good wedge of base training over the next few months, just going purely on HR.
    +1 on boarding pass on smartphone. Dead easy to do. My mother even managed this the last time she came over.

Shades - Your friends have done incredibly well. I guess it would take an enormous amount of mental strength to get through something like that too. Are they members of your Irish running club?

Florence looks fab. I remember you talking about that before and have been keeping an old flyer for it with my running bumph for a few years now.

I had my stitches out yesterday but still can't go up and down steps properly so no running for me. Have borrowed a car off someone as I can't cycle either so absolutely no exercise whatsoever. I am getting dead fat, convinced my 2 minute plank this morning was harder due to the extra weight I'm carrying  :#
  • Options
    One for Mowzer...!

• Options
    Mowzer hello, yes I’m hoping for a good time at Newport as most of the races I have done have been for enjoyment rather than pushing myself to the max, been running for 18 months now and ought to get competitive with myself and see what I can achieve when I do events in proper race mode, I seem to have an in built defense mechanism or just a fear of blowing out in the first few miles of a race if I go off too quickly and that tends to make me run too ‘steadily’. But would really like to finish races thinking I gave it 100%

Shades was that me? In regards to a female asking for your plan and putting the post on RW too ? 
  • Options
    Shades - no my coach is only focusing on the training aspect. He has suggested carb depleted runs but all my running is carb depleted.. The tests are organised by a friend of mine who happens to be a low carb triathlete and a pirate. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-If there's a local library nearby they can print it off also.Ive never gone the app route before,only because I seen someone using it once and their phone died so had to pay for a new boarding card at the airport.
    Shades-My calves feel a bit sore this morning so may give the track a miss tonight and go for a gentle run instead,will see how they feel later.
    The wife is now talking about doing a half marathon abroad next year as her first,too me ages to get her to do a race now she wants to jetset to them.
  • Options
    Shades - I was considering having another break, but I have lost loads of fitness, so really don't want to miss anymore training as my 12 week plan starts next week. I know that is stupid, but I guess I'm just a stubborn runner!

Today's run wasn't great, my HR was way to high for the pace I ran, but 7 miles done.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, thanks for the congrats.  Yeah, I'm really pleased with it.  The knee looks really bad, but good news you seem to be on the mend with the stitches out, and hopefully you'll be back running soon.  Regarding races for next year, I'm just trying to plan ahead a bit and fill up the calendar a bit more.  So far I have 4 in Jan (two doubles), 2 in Feb and 1 in March, so lots of gaps still.  Although I have now booked Loch Ness for later in the year, for which I entirely blame Shades ;)  I have also booked City to Sea again, as I loved that one.  I would like to do a lot more, especially abroad, but I have to stick to a loose budget - or at least try to!  Where I am based, to do a few more nearly always involves a long drive and overnight stay, so the costs mount up.  That Nottingham one ended up being about £140 with diesel, one night accommodation, eating out, and the race (the race was £32, so reasonably priced).  Therefore, part of me thinks just do all the ones that are easily drivable from me (which is about 15-20 events or so) to save costs, but a couple of them are really dull.  For example, Exeter Marathon is just up the road, but I can't see me doing that one as it's on busy cycle paths and out-and-backs, I think, and the reviews were terrible, so that one is out.  I would like to do another NL one as I loved Leiden and Emmy says the NL ones are mainly really good, so I'm looking at Utrecht at the moment.  But again, it'll come down to cost/value for money.

Shades, Mccourt has been interviewed 2 or 3 times on the show this year, for his challenge.  In his first interview he said that he remembers, as an elite, sitting on the side of the track broken and knowing he was finished.  He says himself he was really immature at the time and does regret things (spending hours on PlayStation, as an elite), but he seems happy now - girlfriend, kid, decent job,  and obviously running very well.  He was funny too - his GF isn't a runner and although really supportive of him, she doesn't really "get it".  This year, he was in a bad patch with his training for some reason, and she apparently just said something like "Errrm, why don't you just run?", which he actually took on board.  I think there is a lot in it, to just keep things really simple, which is partly why I like the easy-paced running most of the time, as I don't have to think too hard!

I'm about to go for a short run soon, and then hopefully go club later.  There is a 200m interval session which I'm tempted by, but I think those short, sharp intervals don't suit me as can lead me to injury (I do them on my own sometimes, but I can regulate the efforts more, as opposed to getting into some competitive thing with a club mate!).   So I'll avoid that I think, and do a different session instead.

Ian, thumbs up for your wife.  And you may get a cheeky foreign marathon in too ;)  

--
    Sorry, this post is going on!  Just been looking at my Nottingham splits again and if I'd a) gone out at 8s from the start and b) not walked the aid stations but averaged 8s on those miles (possible at a race with bottles rather than cups?), I'd have gone over 3mins quicker, if all other splits had been the same as what I did them.  I know I can't say I'd have done that for sure, as maybe the easy start and walking through the stations helped overall etc.

But it does lead me to a question.  I have never warmed up before a marathon, but do for all other distances.  For a marathon I just think 26.2 is long enough, and I'll warm up after a few miles in any case.  But if at one race I want to go out at 8s (for example), is it worth doing a mile or two warm up to help get up to speed straight away in the race?  Does anyone here warm up before a marathon?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I do a little warm up,not much but a gentle jog with a couple of very short sprints just to get the blood flowing a bit,never quite sure what to do myself.
    Always a tough question when you go out slower,as you don't know how much that helped you by conserving energy,glycogen etc
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Big G I did one lap of the three lap Exeter Marathons, was really busy with other users and bikes ? and medal ? was disappointing. Remember thinking I would of been upset if done Marathon. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - one of them is the Chairman of my Irish club, the other one runs for Athenry and is the Irish 24hour outdoor record holder, 142.5 miles.  She is not a close friend but the first time I met her was on the start line of Dingle Ultra 50 mile race, she said to me 'I've never run an ultra before'   I told her she'd be fine and she was, she won it!

I'd go to Florence every year if I could, such a lovely end to the marathon year and it's a lovely place too...the food :)

It will take a while for the knee to feel OK again, I don't expect it's very mobile, just time should cure it.   Meanwhile don't worry about a few pounds, tuck into a few mince pies, make the most of it.   Actually I can't imagine mince pies being available in France :/

That's a brilliant photo, but every man in the photo is ignoring you and not coming to your aid, every single one is looking in a different direction :#

Runforthehills - No, it definitely wasn't you.  You messaged me your email address and then sent me a lovely email as a reply to an email I'd sent you.

I seem to have an in built defense mechanism or just a fear of blowing out in the first few miles of a race if I go off too quickly and that tends to make me run too ‘steadily’. But would really like to finish races thinking I gave it 100%

Keep that built in defence mechanism, that will make you a very successful marathon runner :)

Iain - probably just as well to do your own nutrition.  Great idea to have the tests done as you'll need to get your fuelling right for  that tough training schedule
    Ian5 said:
    The wife is now talking about doing a half marathon abroad next year as her first,too me ages to get her to do a race now she wants to jetset to them.
    Yippee and she's not even been on here to be led astray ;)    Choose the event carefully and this could be the start of lots of oversea marathons for you too :)   I have a very simple 3 runs a week beginner's half marathon plan if you want it, it's very basic but just a way of building up the distance of the long run.

Steve - just be careful and avoid sickly folk with colds etc., your immune system is probably a bit low with that cough and leaves you vulnerable to picking up another virus. 

• Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    On a Facebook group someone recommend Feedzone Portables cook book as I'm having a few diets issues mainly being I can't stop eatting. I'm finding it difficult not to be ruled by the scales and Lunch times are difficult because I get very cold and want comfort food. Limited cook skills and fed up of homemade soup.  Has any of you got this book or any suggestions on keeping healthy view of food. I don't have a full button. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I fully accept responsibility about luring you into entering Loch Ness and I hope you'll thank me for it ;)   Exeter is horrendous, I did it the first year, well I dropped out at 14km which was the shorter option so still got medal etc and when I moaned to Pete about the course (which was the reason I dropped out) he rushed off to his van and gave me a pair of Wigwam socks which are worth about £25, I think they're walking socks, lovely and warm and thick.   He said that one day they are planning to have a proper road marathon in Exeter. 

If you're looking for another marathon on the same day as Exeter 20th May, I'm doing Worcester that day and I drive up on the day.  It's an early start but an easy drive as race venue is only a mile off the M5, I'd be quite happy to drive if you want to come along with me.   Nice no frills marathon, rural roads, 2 laps.

I know what it's like re marathon costs etc, they soon mount up and for me I'm not going to camp or sleep in hostels so spend ages trying to get a decent price.

I don't warm up, if my legs feel stiff, say from long drive, I might jog a few steps then have a pre race stretch.   But it's another element to try, I don't see the advantage of running a mile before the race, so maybe trial and error.  You could try at Foxy's and see, I doubt you're going for a PB there?

Jelly - you need your food working in the cold.  I've not heard of that book.   Maybe get a  wide topped flask and a good hot meal every day, curry and rice, stew, casseroles, chilli.  Or batch cook a load at home, put in freezer in portions and heat in your microwave at work, don't be too mean with the portion size.   Try increasing the protein in your meals and that should fill you for longer and don't do low fat either.  Too low with the fat and it's just not as filling and you'll be looking for a snack too soon.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29  
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15  
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59  

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26  
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine  

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B 

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01 

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06 

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

29th July
    Enigma Planes
    Big G - 4:35

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G - 3:58:10

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve -  PB 12:22 

13th August
    mowzer - 7:50

Isle of Man
    Shades - 4:59:06

3rd September
    City to Sea 
    Big G - 5:28:53

14th September
    Dorney Lake 
    Big G - 4:14:12

17th September
    Lancaster
    Ian -  PB 3:34:41 

24th September
    Loch Ness
    Shades 5:06:10

1st October
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:44:59

8th October 
    Chester
    Ian - PB 3:31:26 

Munich
    Big G - PB 3:42:38 

Yorkshire
    Lily - PB 5:07:15 

15th October
    Birmingham
    Steve - 3:18:47
    John - PB 4:43:52 
    Jelly - PB 4:06:20 

Burton Bradstock
    Big G - 3:54:24S
    Shades - 5:15:07

22nd October
    Marine Corps Marathon
    Emmy - 5:00:09

Abingdon
    Big G - 3:48:44

29th October
    Dartmoor Vale
    Jelly - 4:11:48
    Big G - 3:57:08

3rd November
    Halloween 
    Big G - 3:55

4th November
    Halloween
    Big G - 4:05

11th November
    Phoenix Remembrance
    Iain - 3:10:41 Winner   

12th November
    Phoenix Jurassic
    Iain - 29.7 miles 4:34

19th November
    Cornish
    Big G - 3:57:50
    Shades - 5:21:42

26th November
    La Rochelle
    mamafox - 3:38:01

3rd December
    Nottingham Christmas
    Big G - PB 3:29:40 

9th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G

19th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G
  • Options
    Big G - Yes I do a little warm up "jog/run" to turn the legs over and to try to settle any race day nerves. However I think it's more important over the shorter distances and then throw in a few strides to get the legs moving at a faster pace.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Shades-That would be great if you don't mind,do you still have my email address?I'll even have accurate 10k times to work from.i suggested Wirral half but for some reason she seems keener on Barcelona or somewhere like that.
    I see Wolverhampton full and half have been scrapped next year.Depending on the date that was a possible for my early Sep race next year.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've just emailed you the plan.

Shame about Wolverhampton, I've done it a few times, wonder why it's not on in 2018.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's the marathon that's been scrapped, the half is still going ahead 
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That's a shame with Wolverhampton as I wanted to do that one as I grew up in Willenhall so would be closest to home town, can't see Walsall doing one. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - yes, it's a shame.  I can't see another road marathon that weekend except for Dingle which is amazing but can't afford it next year.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Couldn't have done it 2018 as planning on doing The Crossing ultra and would be too close. I'm sweeping City 2 Sea as it would also be too close.  It was just one on my ever growing list. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - just had to Google The Crossing, I take it you mean the Dartmoor one?     

So you've got your 2nd ultra already lined up :)

• Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Yes, I did the great escape this year which is the last 13 miles. Lovedit. It started at princetown  to South Brent. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    I know what it's like re marathon costs etc, they soon mount up and for me I'm not going to camp or sleep in hostels so spend ages trying to get a decent price.

Yeah, it's a pain really.  For that Nottingham one, I did it as cheap as I could (£52 for accommodation, including breakfast), ate at a standard pub (3 courses and a drink, £18), the race was well priced (£32) and my car is economical, but costs still mount up.  If it's a one off or something, it's fine, but as I'm hoping to continue to do a few more events, it is a consideration unfortunately.  £140 is probably 4 other events, if they're more local.  It's why doubles become attractive as you save on diesel costs, and even better if you can get away with just one night in a hotel ;)  

SHADES said:
    I don't warm up, if my legs feel stiff, say from long drive, I might jog a few steps then have a pre race stretch.   But it's another element to try, I don't see the advantage of running a mile before the race, so maybe trial and error.  You could try at Foxy's and see, I doubt you're going for a PB there?
    No intention of a PB at the Enigma events coming up.  I know I say I'm not chasing numbers, but really in this instance one of them is mainly there because I want a nice, round 20 marathons this year!  I'll be on my own for a lot of it, and I prefer running with people around me if I want a decent pace.  I wonder if a small warm up with just a 200m or so at race pace may help me at a target race though?  Don't know, so as you say I could try it out at an Enigma one.  I'm still wondering whether to go without a watch too, just to see what happens.  But then, if I end up with a 4:01 or something I'll be annoyed, as I'd like a sub-4 ideally (ahem, there is a sub-4 100MC.... ;) )
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thanks a lot for that,looks an achievable plan for her,just need to check she still has the bug after GC.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - ha, ha, there is no sub 4 100MC ;)

I try and book Travelodge or Premier if I can and take my own breakfast, although if you're now going to have a fry up you might want to stick to a B & B although with an early start you'll not always get someone to cook for you.  I can often get a room for around £29-40, evening meal, my preference is chip shop fish and chips, say £7 ish or I might go into the nearby Beefeater or pub and have a main course only.   I usually take cake with me if I want anything sweet later on.  I've just been looking at Hereford and have found a Premier in Glos for £33.50, race entry £23, plus petrol of course, that's the week before Worcester.

If you want to really cut costs get those entries in on the LDWA events, plenty of local ones to do and some of them will feed you too.  When I did the Hardy Annual we got a 3 course meal at the finish.  Some events will have a meal stop on the way round, think it was the Wellington Boot we had beans on toast and rice and tinned fruit at a church hall part way through the event, then there was another meal stop later on.   The full distance was 100km although I took the chance to stop at 50 miles as I think I had trench foot.

That's the newspaper I saw about Wolverhampton, if you read down they are still having the half marathon, misleading headline I think.

Jelly - fortunate to have an off road event over Dartmoor that is waymarked.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - let's hope your wife enjoys her first race.

Big G - this is the Dewi G article I read on the Frankfurt website

https://www.frankfurt-marathon.com/en/welsh-hills-breed-tough-stock-as-dewi-griffiths-impresses-in-frankfurt-marathon/

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I've today booked another one of those Running Miles ones - Dinton Challenge (£26.20), which is a midweek one in March.  All being well, I'll run/walk for 6hrs at that one, as a bit of a practice for DD, but I'll decide nearer the time.  It's not ideal as if it's wet the course gets muddy, so probably not one you'd be interested in?  I've booked a Travelodge for it (£47).  I was looking at their Dorney Lake one again with the idea of running for 6hrs, but it's the week before Barca so I discounted that this time.  If it's dry, Dinton Challenge should be fine though, and if not, well....I may not run for 6hrs!

Regarding breakfast, this weekend I am going to take my own as I often do, but I think I may take ham and cheese with me for a sarnie, as opposed to croissants etc.  I can leave it in the car and it'll keep cool this weather.  This weekend the Premier Inn was a bargain as I paid £34, but the pub is shut for a refurb which may be partly why it's cheaper.  It's not an issue though as there's another pub a short walk away.

I would like to do the LDWA ones as they seem an absolute bargain, but the possible map reading puts me off from doing it on my own.  I was thinking of seeing if some Trotters would be interested as a bit of a jolly and just get around it, but I haven't thought any more of that really.  Mowzer makes them sound really good though!

Good article about Dewi Griffiths, so thanks for that.  I really hope all this talent keep good form over the next few months.  Who knows - maybe they'll even show Mo how it's done ;)    I agree with your other comment about Mo; he should have dropped Salazar straight away.  To hear Mo say things like "I've never failed a drugs test" makes me cringe.  OK, he's never failed one, but that doesn't mean very much.  I hope he's not a cheat, and I think probably he's just not very good with the media, but that "I've never failed..." statement is used to often it just raises concerns, i.e., Armstrong said it so often.  I can imagine it must be really annoying to have to defend himself all the time, but he doesn't help himself with the media.  There's an argument that all athletes should be open and release the results of all tests, their medication, etc etc.  I know this is arguably intrusive and athletes may be worried about privacy issues etc, so it could be said to be OTT, but at least that way they would be seen to be open rather than closed (which raises questions that they have something to hide).
  • Options
    Evening folks.. 
    Today I went to get metabolic tested to see how efficiently my body is working and what percentage of fat to glucose I use as fuel as well as how much oxygen my body uses..for those that don't know,  I have been on a low carb diet for 2years with really good results..
    Well I'll say this,  today was an eye opener. If the test was carried out in a dark room where the testers could see me,  the results would show I am an unfit overweight couch potato. My resting metabolic rate should be between 1275 -1559. Mine was 2350. My percentage fat to glucose burning was 0% fat 100% glucose and I only use about 6% of the oxygen I breath. It might be different when I'm racing but all this data is at rest.. So I have got to strip everything back to basics.. 

On a plus note.. I had a day off work.. Lol