Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've set my HD recorder to record it on Saturday.

Enjoy Devon County Show.

£28 for the 5k at Liverpool, shocking :o  and just for an extra trashy medal.

Robert - well let's hope your OH get's her running mojo back.  Maybe a friend to encourage her to enter a race with her or sometimes just spectating can reignite that desire to get fit again.

Unfortunately credit card fraud is rife.   What makes Active so different is that it wasn't one breach of security as usually happens but over a 10 month period.   During those 10 months we were all being assured by Active that the website was safe and they even went as far to call us trolls before admitting there had been a breach.  Many think this 10 months period wasn't the first time.   Active have never reported the breach to the event organisers and I'm afraid the event organisers are just ignoring the problem and still using them.   Luckily so far I've been offered alternative methods of entry and if we all insisted on that then RO's would do something about it.

Glad the tightness in the calf muscles has gone.

Iain - good to see you've recovered from London and are filling up the race schedule.   Are you doing the full Ironman or just the marathon as part of the relay team?

I haven't run today, RHR is back to normal today but I still don't feel that well and still have a sore throat too.   Will maybe have a little run tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - I've put your races on the list except the one on 9th June and the Outlaw Tri as I don't know the date.

Good luck with doing an evening ultra followed by another ultra the next morning ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm not too sure, but I think if people do 2 events they get 3 medals at Liverpool.  Not sure what that's all about really.  I like a decent medal, but one is enough for me :)  

Just did 4 miles at an easy pace.  I'm not often out this early, but it was surprisingly cold.  I enjoyed the run though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, I think you're right re the extra medal at Liverpool.

Good luck with travelling to Devon County Show, just heard the traffic news when driving and queue back to Splatford Split for Sandygate roundabout but it is moving (slowly).

Lovely morning, I put my heating on last night as it was forecast to be cold.

Popped into Sainsburys to see if they have those Soreen bars but no luck, even tried the Free From aisle, think this Sainsbury's is too small, mini malt loaf packs on offer but they're no good as I find malt loaf hard to eat when running, good for carbo loading though.

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - the outlaw is just the marathon part of the event and is on the 29th July. On the two ultras,  I'm going to do what I've been doing in training and run to HR. I've kinda of got some help from a friend who is a tri coach and he looked at my training and said that I'm not gaining anything by training at which high intensity all the time so he has suggested that I keep my HR below 149 when I used to run with it up at 170+ will be interesting to see the results. 
  • Options
    Robert- hopefully your oh will get out running then you can run events together. My oh is not a runner and to this date has never complained if any of my runs take up most of a day, I say never complained what I mean is she's not said to me anyway. It just means when we go to events when she goes shopping I can't say anything so I suppose it's a trade off.

I know it's early however incase I can't get on tomorrow Call, BigG/Ian good luck for Liverpool and to anyone else who has an event stay safe and good luck.

6 easy miles for me yesterday was hoping to get out this morning before work this afternoon however the oh had some jobs she wanted doing so the boss won. Will hopefully get out tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sorry Cal, just noticed I wrote your name wrong.
  • Options

Cal/ Big G, £28 that's a lot for a 5k! I did MK 5k last year and that was expensive not £28 expensive though...

Iain, sounds a bumper packed few months, if I decide on joining the 100mc then I know i'll have to do something similar.  Good luck with the back to back.

Shades, OH is a difficult one, she enjoys supporting, marshaling, volunteering, love the bling at races and enjoys the social media side of things.  Just seems to get strains or injuries a fair amount more being a larger lady (she doesn't read this- I hope) which then knock her.  I'm surprised races are still using them as its fairly well know and surely has an impact on numbers even a small number will impact.

Steven, After this weekends Ultra I'm dropping down the distances to below marathon for a bit, we have a local 10 mile/ 10k race we're doing in July and have a few halfs/ 10k she may also do.

Bag is packed for the weekend, just need to add some cheese and pickle sandwiches for my crew in case I crave them.  Premier Inn at Farnham booked and have a steak with my name on it in the beefeater.

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - just seen those mini Soreen bars on offer in my local Sainsburys! 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, back home now, and although the traffic was a little busier than normal, it was okay and kept moving all the time.  Had a great time at the show.  Favourite animals were undoubtedly the alpacas and favourite food is a toss up between the steak and ale pasty, or the hog roast (yes, I had both....).  Tried lots of different tasters as well (no booze though, which was quite hard!), and very much enjoyed a chocolate and mint ice cream  :)  I think we chose the right day to go (not that I had any other option, due to Liverpool) but I've seen on the news that Saturday has been dubbed "Standstill Saturday", due to the expected traffic around Exeter....  Plus I expect there will be lots of kids there on Saturday, as it's free entry for them that day.  I had a great day out though, and would definitely go again.

Early start tomorrow with a 6:30am flight, but it's from Exeter so not too bad.  I've found a Vietnamese Pho place in Liverpool (Pho is a kind of soupy/noodly/salty concoction that is gorgeous!), which I expect to have lunch at tomorrow :)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Good luck in Guernsey.
    Big G-Hope you have a good flight up,great weather up here at the minute.
    Rob-Sounds like you're getting back to form.
    Had a decent week,2x8 miles and a 5 could mean a 50 mile week for the first time since January with Sundays race,seems weird seeing my name on the list again.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    A lot of events are doing this multi-race, extra medal thing now. Richmond Running Festival has done since they moved the 10K to the Saturday to make way for the marathon on the Sunday (I've stuck to the half so far). I almost considered the 10K last year and then saw it was more expensive than the half! (I think this is because it's run entirely within Kew Gardens). So I thought, bugger that.

Today was a rest day, so to avoid the temptation of going out for a run in lovely weather, I booked myself to see Deadpool 2 at the IMAX and then walked there. I figured it was about 5 miles or so but turned out to be closer to 7. But, hey, a nice walk in nice weather and a funny movie proved good medicine.

Thanks for the good luck, Steven. You're forgiven. ;)
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. I’ve got another DNS after last weeks bad run I didn’t get a longer/any run last weekend which has left me with too bigger jump for Plymouth Half. I’ve done 3 x 1.5 mile loop so far this week didn’t go last night as Daugher wanted to go bike ride. Might try a longer distance tonight, not sure what yet. New trainers are suiting me better.  Sunday I’m going out with a cycling group, I’m going with social group and been told it’s really relaxed group. lady I’ve been chatting to on Facebook seems lovely. I didn’t know there was insurance for cyclists, it covers you to claim against others and legal costs for claims against you. Being a member of this club which is £15 year you get insurance included. Even if I don’t go out with club it’s worth having with my commute Miles.  Think we’re doing 30 Miles Shades I’m helping at DD with parking so I can bring your book with me. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - thanks, date of Outlaw noted.

Good idea to use the HRM to stop you running at too high an intensity.   Will certainly help when you do that tricky double you have planned next weekend.

steven - I'm sure if your OH was unhappy with the time you spend running she would have mentioned it ;)   And she can enjoy the shopping when you're running a race.   Be warned though, one year at the Duchy marathon when a friend of mine finished he found that his wife had bought a new dining room table which was squeezed into the back of their car :D 

There is an edit facility on here for up to an hour after posting, put cursor to top right corner an Edit box should appear, I have to use it a lot!

Robert - that's a shame that injuries have stopped your OH from carrying on with her running and obviously left her a bit disillusioned about continuing.  Hopefully she will get stronger and get over those niggly injuries and get back to running.

Good luck for tomorrow, cheese and pickle sandwiches, lovely. 
    Slowkoala said:
    Shades - just seen those mini Soreen bars on offer in my local Sainsburys! 

They only had the loaf bars on offer at our Sainsbury's, they were a £1.    I even looked on Sainsbury's and Waitrose websites and they're not on there either.

Big G - glad you enjoyed the show, it's very good. Pie and hog roast, yummy.  I would avoid the Saturday too with all the kids.   Nice that they've having good weather for a change.

Didn't realise you were flying up, much better than driving up the M6 on a Friday.  Have a great weekend with your WAY group.  And meeting up with Ian too :) 

Ian - 50 mile week, that's good.   

Cal - are you travelling up today or Saturday?

I've been out for a very short run, RHR high again this morning but as I was woken by the alarm today that often gives me a higher RHR so I wasn't bothered.  I usually wake before the alarm.    Lovely morning, bit cold, I didn't feel great but was glad to be out in the fresh air but I turned back after a mile as throat sore again when I run and I just don't feel right, very disappointing.    Not sure what to do now, will see how I feel tomorrow and decide about Worcester.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    jelly - xpost - glad you're managing short little runs and easing yourself back into your running.   Good news that the new shoes suit you well.

Enjoy your cycling, one of the worse things about being injured is using that time when you'd normally be running but at least you are out enjoying yourself on your new bike and keeping your fitness up too.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Despite feeling great earlier in the week, I'm feeling quite rough now - spacey, tired and all round not great. Not sure if this is down to my early waking the past few days, being post-shingles or something else. I did do 4 miles plus strides which went OK. Fingers crossed it'll pass.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, sorry to hear that :( I feel a head cold coming on, so hopefully that will come to nothing. Maybe my upcoming trip up the Mersey will help!!

Shades, yeah, it ended up being the best way as flights were ok and I got a lift to Exeter airport. With diesel and parking, flying to Manchester and then train to Liverpool was cheaper as well as being easier and better with time.  Door to door it was under 5hrs and the hotel let me check in early, which was a result.  Last time I checked it wasn't doable for York, but I'll recheck. 

Will be picking my race number up this afternoon, but before that I've got a Mersey ferry trip and then seeing Terracotta Army. Meeting the WAY lot around 6ish. 

I bought some nice bread and cheese yesterday from the farmers market, so will be soon eating a baguette over looking the river. 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Have fun, Big G! I'll be training it to Manchester tomorrow and my friend will drop me off on the morning.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-When you get the ferry that bit you can see across from Liverpool is God's own sunshine peninsula  :)
    The last weather I seen is a bit of a tailwind for the last 4 miles on Sunday.
    Cal-Hope you feel better 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope that's just a pre marathon blip and you're feeling better today.

Big G - Lovely photo, I've been there a few times as the IOM ferry is just a few yards away from the Liver building.

Hope the threatened head cold has come to nothing.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, have you decided about your event yet?  I hope you can do it. 

Having never been to Liverpool before, I'm really enjoying it so far. We've been lucky with the weather which helps, but hopefully it doesn't get too hot for tomorrow though!!

As I was getting on the Mersey ferry yesterday, guess who was getting off?  Yep, Fizz and her OH. Can't go anywhere without seeing a Trotter :-) Bumped into them at the expo too. 

Just done parkrun, which was very nice. I took it easy with walking the 1.5m there and back. 
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Great photos Big G. I know you are tall but are you standing on something in that photo? Just popping in to wish all the Liverpool Shadies a good race tomorrow, I bet you'll have a fab time.
    Hope that you're on form to race too Shades. And good luck at Guernsey too Steve. Looking forward to hearing how you all get on.

I've recovered pretty quickly from my race, probably because I ran to HR, and have managed to get out a fair bit this week albeit for easy runs. My quads were a bit stiff for the first day or so but all fine now. This is a change as I'm normally flailing round like a dying swan the week after a marathon. I didn't actually manage to get out for a recovery run the day after mind you. I was meaning to but I forgot my kit (Shades this is TRUE). We were running late so I shot out of the house with my my race kit on and a tent - my race kit was absolutely minging afterwards so unfortunately was not able to do recovery run  B) Did a fair bit of walking the day after and than ran Monday so I'm sort of thinking that's nearly the same as a day after recovery run.

Anyway, will write a bit more about the race but haven't had time yet - just wanted to wish all you racing Shadies good luck for tomorrow.

SK - My daughter has applied to do law at Montpellier, Toulouse, Marseille or Lyon. We are waiting to hear where she will be accepted. This is all subject to her getting her BAC this summer though. If not all those fancy ideas can go right out the bloody window (to quote my dad).
    Will just have to see how she gets on.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Hope you're fit enough to race tomorrow.
    Steve-good luck in Guernsey.
    Cal-Good luck for tomorrow if I don't bump in to you.
    Big G-Great meeting you today,hope you have a good race.
    Easy 2 miles for me today to a hill where I proceeded to get OH to do hill reps  :D 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Not sure if you seen,but the guy who won your parkrun then ran to the 5k and came 10th !! He only had 14 minutes between the end of parkrun and the 5k start.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, ha ha, no I'm not standing on anything in that pic!!  Dodgy excuse from you for not doing a recovery run...sounds a bit like a kid saying they forgot their homework. Next time you'll be saying the dog ate your trainers ;)

Ian, I saw him on the parkrun course and he went flying past me. Didn't realise he'd done the 5K race as well though. That's great running as the two events aren't especially close by!

Had a good day today but tired now so back at the hotel to relax a bit. Looks like it's going to be warm tomorrow so hopefully I'll get under 4hrs but I'll just see how I feel when I'm out there. Looking forward to it though. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - that's a great recovery from your marathon.   I know now we can expect a recovery run after your next marathon, you're nearly there. ;) 

Ian - fancy taking your OH out for hill reps!!   Did you stand and watch...with stopwatch? ;)

Big G - lovely photo of you and Fizz & OH

I am grounded, but at least I know why.    I have tonsillitis, explains the sore throat and not feeling 100%, must be 20 odd years since I had tonsillitis :o  

Good luck to all of you running today, will be thinking of you all.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I did indeed stand and watch,held her water for he though  :) I did the last one with her and she was really fast,it was at the same pace I'd do so she's coming along really well.
    Nice when you can get up 3 hours before race starts and comfortably make it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - she certainly is coming along well, when's her next race?

Hope you have a comfortable and pain free race today.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, sorry to hear about your DNS, and the tonsillitis!  Not good at all :( Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. 

Ian, I was thinking the same about being so close to the start line and getting up in a relaxed manner. I think it's the only advantage of having a 10am race start. It was the same at MK too. 

According to the BBC weather app, it's not going to be unbearably hot (17-19 it's saying), but still too hot for my ideal running conditions - if it's accurate though, it's a fair bit cooler than Milton Keynes so I think that will help me. I was speaking to Ian yesterday and I don't always look at the race profile, but I did last night. First 8 miles look to be generally up hill (with one hill that looks steep from 2.5-4.5), then downhill to 13 miles. Then a steep hill to around 15, before undulating down to the finish.  So it looks like the worst of any hills come relatively early on, which is good. I just want a strong run really - my last two were more of a 'get it done' job, but if I finish this one feeling good I'll be happy. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Hope that doesn't keep you out too long,hopefully recover quite quickly but it can knock you for a bit.
    Her next race is a local 10k in 4 weeks then we are doing a half in September.
    I'm the same in just hoping for a relatively pain free race and see how it goes,hoping if it goes ok that I can start my chester plan in a couple of weeks.