Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    7 miles for me today, good running weather.   I normally go out a little later on a Friday as I don't have an exercise class but today is MOT and service for the car.   Hoping there are no unexpected costs :/   

I've just realised it's not a good day for car service at a dealership as new registration day.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just 3 miles for me this morning, taking me up to a massive 8 miles for the week.  I nearly turned back after half a mile as the old legs weren't working, but I continued and it did get marginally easier as I went along.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm sure that once you're on that start line tomorrow, your legs will remember what to do.   Funny how rest, i.e. not running, often just makes us feel lethargic.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You have my sympathies, Ian, but resting is totally the right decision. Your legs might even appreciate the rest.
    A straightforward 6 miler today. Achilles grumpy as ever. I've started taking collagen protein in the hope that it will help - some folks seem to think it does. We'll see. At this point in my training schedule, I'll try anything.
  • Options
    Big G, after spending money and time on Malta, even if you dont feel disappointed subconsciously it must have a knock on affect.  Hopefully bounce back this weekend.  I have no idea how I'd consider planning my 100th marathon, I've struggled to sort out my 50th parkrun.

Ian hope a few days rest do you good, much better to have a few down days now rather than closer to Manchester.

Shades that sounds like some tough running leading to your 100th.

If I ever decide to go to 100 I wont start considering where until I'm at 80/90 but will have a few events in mind probably a few months apart so I'm not stressing about being able to make the one target.  Nothing too much to worry about at 22 at the moment.

5.7 miles last night run commute and at a decent pace (8.45pm) foot felt a bit tight this morning but didn;t stop me, will be taking my 50th parkrun tomorrow steady and sundays run 7-8 miles even steadier.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good luck,sure you'll get the bounce back.
    Shades-Hope the garage wasn't too busy.
    Rob-IHope the injury keeps away,starting to look promising. 
    As for my supposed cold,I woke up today to a squeak instead of a voice and been struggling all day,daughter doctor has kindly diagnosed laryngitis,very sore today and recovery is about 2 weeks so the 10k next weekend mightn't be looking too good now.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your 50th parkrun Robert. I hope it goes well. I looked it up to see if it was possible and I did consider (albeit very briefly) Telford parkrun tomorrow which is easily doable as the marathon starts at 10am. But I purposefully didn’t bring my parkrun barcode as I know it’s probably not really a good idea because 105 laps of the track will be testing in its own way.

Ian, bad news on the diagnosis- hopefully it’ll clear up soon.

I got up here to Telford with no issues - after enduring a trip around b&q getting paint etc. Travelodge is cheap and cheerful, but as usual it’s clean and tidy so complains at all (I paid £28 so really can’t complain at that). I went to a recommended fish and chip shop for a takeaway, which was very nice too. Just back at the hotel now with my feet up, getting ready for tomorrow. I am looking forward to it so hopefully my running legs will come back whilst I’m out on the course. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope the collagen protein does work, it's certainly worth trying.  I suppose you'll have to take it for quite a while to know if it has any effect.

Robert - hope you have a pain free 50th park run today.

Ian - sorry to hear that it's more than a cold, but at least it's not flu which could upset your marathon plans.

Garage wasn't too busy, they scheduled collection of new cars over a few weeks so I only saw about 3 of the 19 plates there. 

Big G - hope you have a good race today, don't get dizzy ;)   I do think Travelodge are great value.  I'm not a great sleeper but usually sleep well at Travelodge as all the rooms look the same, I just have to remember where I am when I wake up!

I'm taking an unscheduled rest day today, I just feel tired, RHR is OK but I feel very lethargic, hope I'm not coming down with something :#  Am going to have a lazy day and watch the athletics.

Car sailed through it's MOT :) and even with the couple of extra things I asked the garage to do the bill was a lot less than I had budgeted for, so might look for another pair of Guides and put the rest towards some race fees. :)   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, greet news about the car...enjoy the shopping or race entires!

As for me, it didn’t go to plan. Bloody terrible race, finishing in 4:27.

Giving a bit more detail...the event itself was well organised and I had a grin on my face when I saw the set up. Not getting a chance to run on a track often, seeing the facilities and the runners milling about was brilliant. But I was a bit concerned about how open it was. There was no shelter at all. 

I started off and was actually hoping for a reasonable time and set off at 3:30 pace. Turns out this was a mistake - or misjudgement - as after about 10 miles I was beginning to struggle, so I said ‘ok, let’s go for 3:45’, which then turned into 4hrs and then I stopped worrying about the time and just hoped to get it done. 

Mentally I was fine for most of it, but physically I developed a nagging ache in my left knee (possibly from the track?) and stopped to take some pain killers, which did the trick. Not because of injury, but I just couldn’t maintain even 9min/mile pace which was very disheartening. Have I really lost that much fitness?  3 months ago I did 3:20 and even a few weeks ago I did sub-4 whilst nursing an injury. I just couldn’t get going and in fact walked for parts of it. Not good.

I tried to tell myself to just get it done and get off the track ASAP, but the last 10-15 laps were horrible mentally (before this I was mainly ok). I tried to tell myself ‘just a parkrun to go’ but they ticked over very slowly, and in the end I finished in about 4:27 (I’ll give exact time later).  I don’t mean this in a horrible way although I know it may come across that way, but seeing people lap me who I’d usually be lapping wasn’t great mentally either; I just mean it made it really very clear that I was having a crap race!  Normally on a bad race you’re on your own, but of course the nature of this one was that people were lapping each other - and me - all the time. 

It would be easy to say it was the course that didn’t suit me, but that’s not the case....it just felt like a fitness issue, brought on by going off at what evidentially was too quickly. So with that in mind I’d do one again, to try and get a better time!!

We were quite lucky with the weather though. There was a headwind on the back straight, but it could have been a lot worse. If it had been bad weather, it could have been awful as like I say there was no shelter.

So that’s it. Number 60 done, but it wasn’t what I’d hoped for...putting it mildly. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that was a tough race for you. You did well to stick with it and finish.
    Running round a track without changing direction puts a huge strain on the legs and hips as you are running without any change in cadence or camber/terrain so a mild twinge can turn into a severe cramp like pain as there's no respite.

There's never any shelter on a 400m track and a headwind on the back straight is fairly normal, but for you that's 105 times into a headwind and that can drain you physically and mentally without you realising it at the time.

I don't think you've lost that much fitness just a bad day at the office, marathons just make us suffer now and then.  Well done on number 60 completed.
  • Options
    ian hope you recover quickly from the lurgy!  Hopefully wont have too much of a detriment to your training.

Big G, maybe a parkrun before would have warmed you up nicely lol, having a 6 at the start of your total hopefully will give you the boost you're getting somewhere after being stuck on 5x for a while.  I've only ever ran on a track once for a training session, I'd like to run a marathon on one just to tick it off the list I got bored of 5 min intervals.  Is your next big target Rotterdam? Give you a bit of time to get where you want to be.

Shades good news about the car, I'm looking for a cheap run around as bored of the train cancellations and as of May it's going to be a bus replacement service which is pretty crap. Guides on Sports shoes at the moment are pretty grim colours as looked for Elle the other day. 

Woke up this morning and put my Joggers vest on, (our club race had a promo event at parkrun) and my belly was poking so thought I'd hid it under my ware 10s shirt from last year.  Did course set up (volunteered 18 times now) and was presented with a bib to run my 50th in so now with 3 layers!!!

Ran round with an old school mate and jogger with her daughter in a buggy so nothing too fast (27 mins).  Didn't stop the PF biting.

Frustrated as thought it was getting better, it's not got any worse but need to keep it easy going, I think it's pace related so if I am pain free will try a real slow run tomorrow prob 10.15 pace in practice for LLHM

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I've never run a marathon on a track, not on my wish list.  But I have done several 6, 12 & 24 hour races on a track but I think it's easier when you don't have a set number of laps to do.  But I much prefer laps of a pleasant park. 

Congratulations on your parkrun, sorry to hear your foot was sore, do be careful tomorrow.

I don't blame you for deciding to get a car, you need the patience of a saint to tolerate the shambolic public transport.

I've shopped around all the relevant websites for Guides today. Sportsshoes are the best for my size, I agree the colours are dire. I have a pair of the white and pale green and I don't like them much so have been using them for long runs only.  I'd bought a half size up with the ISO's but I find them a bit clumpy so will go back to my usual size next.  I'm going to order the red ISO's even though they are dearer than the white colours. I quite like red and my club colours are black and red.  There are nice colours in the ISO 2's but all too dear at the moment
    I had a quick look at the new ASICS, £224 😮
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Official time is 4:26:57. 

Robert, well done on your 50th parkrun. As you say, if you’re pain free maybe just try a very steady run and see how you get on. Yes, Rotterdam is my next target race but I’ll have to see how I am. I just feel a bit fat/slow at the moment. I didn’t want to check the scales before today’s race (so I didn’t) but I know I’m not massively overweight or anything; it’s just that I know I’ve been in better shape in the recent past. 

Shades, yes, they can’t all be great runs can they?!  ‘You’ve got to take the rough with the smooth’ as my old Dad says. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I bet if you get on those scales you won't have put on that much.

I'm taking another rest day today, my RHR is slightly raised, that might be as I had a terrible night's sleep, too hot then too cold.   But I actually feel better today than yesterday, but am going to err on the side of caution.

Have managed to find a pair of Guide 10's in my size for £48 and in black, they were £60 a few days ago but price has dropped. :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Shades, I don't usually weigh myself in the week of a marathon as I don't want to know if I'm overweight (or in theory underweight, which has never happened!) as that would play on my mind when there's an inevitably a tough moment in a race.  I know I'm currently not at my "racing weight" but seeing it on the scales would be the proof I don't want to see before a race.  Seems odd maybe, but I've always been like that!  Having said that, I've just weighed myself and it's not too bad, but not perfect by any means.  There's work to do to get a bit off.  

There are a few pics from the race and I'm walking quite a lot, with quite a stern look on my face :(  But when I'm running I don't actually look too waddly!

AH was there, and had a bad (for him) race.  He was walking in the 3rd lane at one point and I had a quick chat with him and he said he hurt his back whilst bending down to pick his drink up.  He got going again though and was a few seconds under 3hrs, after doing a different track marathon the day before in 2:43.  He said he's got a Half today - not sure which one, although I was presuming Bideford, but I think there are a few different Halfs this weekend.

I'm doing a short run recovery in a bit, and then I've got to start the first day of a new multi-day event I seem to have entered - it's called "paint the house".
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I usually weigh myself a couple of days before just out of curiosity for my stats.   I normally weigh myself daily anyway just to try and keep my weight stable and also to make sure I'm rehydrating well.

I saw a few pics on FB and was beginning to think you were the one dressed as Darth Vader ;) until I finally saw a pic of you.   You didn't look very happy. :o 

AH must be doing his JOGLE/LEJOG soon.

Good luck with the painting, I can't detect much enthusiasm, but once you get going it'll be fine.   We're due a storm later so that'll keep you indoors ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, a picture tells a thousand words, as they say!

I don't mind the painting, but it's all the preparation in advance that I don't overly enjoy.  But I know it's required to get a good finish!

We have a couple of friends coming over to help too, so that's nice.  We helped them when they moved house so they're returning the favour, which is nice of them.
  • Options
    Big G after yesterday's marathon painting is pretty exciting!!!  I'm not much of a fan of painting, I cut corners in the prep and usually a disaster!

Shades well done on the guides! 

Foot was fairly sore last night and when I woke up i had decided I wasnt going to run today.  After I got out of bed the 2nd time my foot wasn't too bad and thought I may as well give pacing a bash.

Found the 1st half mile very tough to slow myself to 10.18 miles but managed to complete a 10 mile run 20 seconds ahead of my 1.43 target.  Foot doesnt feel awful yet but will see later on in the day
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Hello Shadies, just popping in to see how you are all doing

Big G - I can't believe that Malta was cancelled.. what are the chances of that happening?! Luckily you're a multi marathoner now as if you'd been hanging all your hopes on that race it would have been a right downer. Don't beat yourself up over your track marathon either. IMO the moving had a lot to do with that.  Moving house is incredibly stressful, physically and emotionally - even if you felt ok that would definitely have an effect on your performance. Anyway, another great training run under the belt..onwards and upwards!

Robert - You sound as if you're well on the way to recovery, I can only dream of being where you're at  :(

Still absolutely no running from me so nothing running related to say I'm afraid. Doing a fair bit of biking but it's not the same. Very depressing not being able to enter any races.. the year stretches in front of me like a desert  :|
    Had a good time in Lyon; definitely a city worth a visit even though it is a bit of a nightmare to get to (from here anyway). They do a marathon in October so if I ever recover and can run again then that is a race I would consider. Back home and Christian the traveller is passing through again and is spending several days with us. Don't know if anyone remembers but he is the man who lives in a gypsy caravan pulled by his Percheron and travels all round the country. He cooked us fish samosas last night and regaled us with his travelling stories... honestly the man is just so INTERESTING, I feel dead boring in comparison.

Well I won't go on as I will be going wildly off subject but I am still lurking around and keeping up with your running.. you all motivate me from a distance  :)
  • Options
    MF I’m nowhere near healed (no pun intended) I thought I was but seem to be back down again! Saying that running today hasn’t crippled me so will consider running a lot slower and see how I get on 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Congrats on your parkrun, Rob. Hopefully we'll both be OK by summer and I can join you for a go at Westmill.
    Big G - tough race, I wouldn't have fancied it. Something like that has to be mentally draining. I think the disappointment of Malta could have affected you as well. Don't be hard on yourself, you'll be back to full strength in no time.
    mamafox - sorry you're still not back at it, but do keep dropping by.
    Shades, hope you feel better soon. I sleep like crap anyway, but that's a menopause thing I'm sure. I wake up several times a night.

Saturday was Bushy parkrun. I'd agreed to meet up with some people from a Facebook group and managed to find them despite there being 1400 runners there (the lady who runs the group was doing her 50th as well as celebrating a birthday, so she had balloons tied to her which made her easy to spot).
    I had a decent run although the lactic got to my legs so my last mile was a bit slower. I was fairly happy with a time of 25:16, but then very unhappy when I got my results and found they'd added 30 seconds to it! I guess Bushy's double funnel system isn't infallible. I've contacted them but I don't hold out much hope of getting it rectified - similar thing happened to me at Old Deer Park and they couldn't change it as it messes up everyone behind. Eh, at least it wasn't a PB.
    No running today as I marshalled the Thames Riverside 20. I had someone to marshall with so we didn't get too bored (it's an out and back, so there was a fair gap between the last runner going through and the leaders returning). Judging by the mud all over everyone, it was mucky out there. Also chilly, drizzly and windy. Rather glad I wasn't running myself.
    Groin has been very niggly even standing around, and my knee is not really better either. I will have to take it relatively easy this week with the Big Half next weekend. I just hope I can get on top of these niggles before Vienna.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks MF/Cal. Probably it wasn’t ideal prep with all the traveling for Malta, shortly followed by the drive up to Telford. But I was hoping for better - still it’s something to try and beat if/when I next do a track marathon.

Thoughts are already turning to next weekend. I have a busy weekend in Southampton with late nights planned, and then an early drive to near Reading on Sunday for the race. I’m not expecting much in terms of time, but hopefully I’ll at least feel a bit better compared to the track marathon.

In terms of running this week, I’ll just do what I can as my focus is the decorating as I really need to crack on with it. I did do a 3 mile recovery run this morning and then spent the rest of the day decorating. I was hoping I’d get away with only one coat of paint, but sadly not. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Quick pop in,Big G-Well done on seeing it through,very easy to step off the track if things aren't going well.
    No running for me since I was last here,still coughing my way around but seems to be easing a little,hope it goes over the next few days as it's looking like at least a week off when I was really aiming to get big miles in,and hard to see how I can get them back.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Big G - yes, it's the cleaning and prep that's the worst part of decorating.  Great that you have friends to help.   

Robert - well done on your careful 10 miler to practise your pacing for next weekend, hope the foot hasn't reacted badly.

mamafox - so sorry to hear that you still can't run.   You've been incredibly lucky and only had 2 injuries (since I've known you) but incredibly unlucky that both were/are long term injuries and both difficult to get rid of.   You don't have to be running to post on here.   You will recover and get back to your running and entering races again.
    Are you still doing the cooking?

Cal - I wake up several times a night, that's normal for me, the hot/cold thing isn't.
    The standing around marshalling can be really uncomfortable if you have a couple of niggles, especially if it's a bit chilly too.

Ian - good that you are starting to get better.   Don't worry about missed miles, nothing you can do about that, just get well.   You could still do some strength exercises and a bit of stretching though ;) 

My RHR is still a bit high but I felt fine this morning and the hot/cold during the night has gone.  So I did an easy 6 miles, nice to be out running again.  Chilly but the wind has dropped, I think we escaped Storm Freya here.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, good news you were able to get out today.  I hope to get to the club today, but it'll depend on how the day goes.  I have someone coming around my place to pick up my 3-piece suite as it's no longer needed.

I was just having a look through the Bideford Half results and AH was a second under 1:20.  So he did 2:43 and 2:59 at track marathons on consecutive days, followed by 1:20 at a Half, with a fair amount of travelling in between the events.  From reading his Strava he nearly didn't get to Telford as his trains were delayed/cancelled, and he arrived very late on Friday night, and so went to the race earlyish on the Sunday to help the organisers set up.  Plus, on the Friday event he stayed more or less to the finish as he helped a couple of people towards the back of the field  around to achieve their goals.

Our young Trotter did well too as he got a small (5-second) PB in what weren't fantastic weather conditions, finishing in 1:11:25.  He was also on his own after the first mile.  He's got a high mileage week (easy running) this week, and then a lighter week before Reading Half which he has high hopes for, where he'll have other runners with him too and he's hoping for another PB there.  I really hope it all comes together for him for London this year, as he still regularly gets some grief on Strava for his training approach.  He mainly does high volume at an easy pace (he sometime sprinkles MP sections into his long runs), with not a massive amount of speed work, and some are criticising that approach saying he needs more "quality".   He sticks to his guns though and anyway, when he does do speed work, he works very, very hard.  He regularly tells people that he has the speed and he does as he's very quick over a single mile - he says he just needs the endurance which is why he does the high mileage.  Good on him for sticking to his guns and I really hope it all works out for him and he shuts the doubters up.  If everything comes together with the weather, injuries, sickness etc I think he could go under 2:30 at London, but we'll have to wait and see.  Last year he detonated, partly due to the warmer weather - this year he's even been training in warm clothes (multiple layers, hat etc) to purposefully get hot whilst he's running.  If it's cool conditions with no wind etc, that would be perfect for him.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I have a feeling that AH is the sort of person that can sleep anywhere so I doubt the travelling makes much, if any, difference to his performance.

That's a great result from YT, a 5 second PB at his pace is still fairly significant and I expect he had a headwind for at least half of the race.   I'm very impressed by YT's training and his dedication and for sticking to his training plan.  I think he's right to focus on the endurance, he's quite young to be doing more speedwork and the marathon is his focus event.  1:11 for a half equates to a possible sub 2:30 providing he can hold his marathon pace and that would be a great PB for him.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    7 miles this morning for me.  Cold and frosty but fortunately any ice seems to be only on cars.  The ground is wet after the rain but I guess the ground is too warm after our few days of warmer weather for any ice/frost.  No wind so quite pleasant for running as I was well wrapped up.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I had a good day at the house yesterday in that two rooms are basically now done.  Two more bedrooms to finish, and the hall/stairs/landing to do, but we're getting there.  I'm hoping by the end of Thursday it'll look a lot more habitable :)    The kitchen/diner needs doing but in theory that could wait until we move in, but if we get a chance to do it I'd like to.  It's real wood kitchen, but really the doors/fronts could do with coming off and being repainted, but that's a bigger job and really could do with warmer/drier weather so I can do it outside.

I was looking at the weather around 6:30pm last night, and was umming and ahhing about going to the club - the temperature had dropped to about 5deg and there was a heavy rain shower so it didn't look too appealing.  However, I decided to go and I'm glad I did as I had a nice 7-mile run with the club.  

Got back and entered a couple of races with a new (for me) race organiser called Saturn Running.  It seems a very similar event to that Dorney River Trail Run that I did on the Thames Path but they're very affordable.  One race (mid week) was £20 affiliated and the one on the BH weekend was £28.  Somehow, the Travelodge on the Saturday of the BH weekend was only £26 in a "Superroom" (the "normal" room was £28...), which partly made my mind up about what to do that weekend, as I'll do this Saturn Race and then drive up to MK from there for the MK Marathon on the Monday.  The midweek one they have three in a row for £20 each, or all three £56, but I'm just doing the one.  If I do these together with the ones I've already booked, come the DD I'll be back on track numbers-wise, which is good news.  Makes you realise how much the other RDs of these companies charge though as these races still provide a medal, aid station etc.  Enigma events are £11 more.  Also, with the Saturn company they have a system that if you do 10 races you get the next one free.  I'll report back on what they're like but hopefully they'll be okay, as they do get good reviews from the 100MC Wannabees.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Did you do MK last year? It's on my list as back up if Manchester doesn't go well,along with Southampton and Belfast.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yes I did MK last year. It was too hot when I did it, but I actually enjoyed the event and liked the stadium finish, so I’m doing it again this year. The first half was on closed roads and around some of the roundabout system - some don’t like this section but I found it ok. Other parts of it were through villages and parks. I didn’t ‘race it’ last year but I’d say it’s a potential PB course.  They have start pens which they seemed quite strict on so if you provide your hoped for finish time they’ll start you near the front:

I haven’t done the other two you mention so can’t comment on those.