Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I agree with Shades,it is wrong that they said no,it was a week ago so it may change now with the corridors to be announced.Voting structure seems weird,for me it should be even numbers plus  chair,so he decides if the committee can't,rather than him essentially getting 2 votes.
    Just booked our September holiday to Fuerteventura,meant to be LA but at least we can go away,hopefully.It was actually a good price considering there are less flights at the moment.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian/Shades, I expect/hope they'll change their minds soon.  KL mentioned in those Minutes as the proposer happens to be guy I contacted.  It wouldn't put me off doing a marathon - if I was in the country and it was safe to do it, I'd still do it.  I think they're probably just playing catch up in some ways and the easy statement of "we're following EA" won't work if flights when allowed to other countries.

As an aside, when I'm looking at the measures that maybe put in place at Hamburg if it goes ahead, what are people's thoughts on that?  On the one hand I'm keen to get back to racing and travelling as well, but I still want to enjoy the experience.  I can understand the measures they're planning but will it be enjoyable do you think?  I'm wondering if it will all feel a bit regimented in some way.  I'm not sure at the moment.

My club are a bit annoyed as they're planning on going to Cologne for the club marathon, but it's not happening.  They're all adamant they booked a refundable room but the hotel has changed its mind and is now only offering a 10% refund.  Very naughty.  Also, the race is taking an €18 admin fee per person!  From what I can see I think people are still going to travel but there won't be a race.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Knee totally feels fine today actually despite being sore at the beginning of the run yesterday. Strange. Taking a rest day today anyway just in case, and since last wk was a high (for me) 45 miles. Will also cut back a bit this wk as you suggested even if I’m feeling like doing more given the weather forecast looks better. 

Big G - I have no frame of reference given I have never run a marathon before but I have been considering this if Brighton goes ahead in September. I’d be grateful and excited to run it of course but will be a shame if my first one involves masks and segregated starting blocks etc... 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I will be happy to do it with the restrictions,to be honest before the start etc I'm not someone who talks to others,I'm happy just being in my own space so apart from the mask it wouldn't really affect me.If Hamburg goes ahead and there are still spaces then I will probably be going,may even book a flight tomorrow as they are only £50 return and changeable for free with Easyjet.
    10 miles done before work,legs a little tight for the first mile or so but all good after that,very windy though,bbc says 40mph but wanted to get ti done as I know I won't be doing much from Friday-Monday this week.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - when I read the minutes of the meeting I assumed that the meeting was held maybe a couple of months ago so was shocked it was only a week ago.
    A week ago we all knew that air bridges were being agreed and would be announced today so why didn't they take that into consideration. 

They are no longer affiliated to ARC so are blindly following EA guidelines which is fine but overseas events are not under EA's legislation anyway.  

I personally wouldn't book to go to Hamburg, so far the announcement was only a press release and I don't have confidence that the event will go ahead or that there may be travel restrictions. 

The measures that Hamburg are proposing would put me off big races and I'd opt for smaller events where possible.

That's bad news about the Trotter's hotel in Cologne, surely they have the terms in writing?  Maybe they would accept change of date to next year.  I suppose they've paid upfront, that's the risk of paying in advance.

Ian - you've certainly earned a holiday this year.

Good price for Hamburg flight, certainly worth taking a flyer it might go ahead at that price.   Don't think there's any flights from down here anyway.

Rcouture - that's good news about the knee, enabling you to finish a good week well.

I haven't done Brighton but I believe very congested at the start with very long toilet queues etc so segregated starts may be difficult, we'll see.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    This may be of interest: 
    https://blog.parkrun.com/nz/2020/06/23/covid-19-coronavirus-update-23-june/
    Gives an indication I presume of how parkrun in this country may re-start, and possibly what other races (or even club training sessions) may put in place. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks alehouse - that's interesting.   What sort of numbers do they get in NZ?

Not sure I can see it working here though as I would imagine that quite a few would not want to register their presence for fear of being asked to isolate. 

Mind you we're a fair way off having an app.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm not sure what has happened with the Cologne trip or how it was booked as I had nothing to do with it this year as I knew I wouldn't be going.  I just noticed that Chair posted something on the Facebook group about how annoyed he was, and others agreeing.

Ian, good price on those flights.  As you say, you may as well book them and see what happens.

Interesting Alehouse.  I wonder if any enthusiastic parkrun tourists are planning a trip to NZ to get their parkrun fix!  Ahem, Cal? ;)  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I just had a random click around the NZ events and the largest I came across was one near Aukland that has been going around 8 years and sometimes gets over 400.  I think parkrun has said in the past that it won't only open up some events in a particular country - it's all or nothing.  I suppose they may change their mind on that but that basically means that in the UK we have to wait for Bushy to be allowed, which regularly gets around 1500, sometimes more.  We can't really speculate too much at the moment but I suppose the problem is if parkrun say they'll allow events that get less than 500 (as an example and when the time allows it), other people will turn up at those events potentially swelling the numbers and there's no way to control that.  Some UK events get very small numbers and are more remote so there's a chance they could still go ahead and be safe, but the current guidelines that parkrun have is that it's all or nothing in a particular country.

From 2nd June:  "...whilst we are not at this stage ruling out changes to operations required at event level, our current position is that we will not open parkrun events in any country until we can do so across that entire country, safely and without compromising any public health guidelines in that country. We are also, at this stage, not looking to reopen events until we can do so in a way that is the same as or similar to how they operated before lockdown".
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, there's no way I'd sit on a plane for a day just to do a parkrun. I know some people who might, though.
    Ian, I have a pretty high cadence but not quite that high. I'm usually in the 170s for an easy run but 190s for a 5K (with brief forays over 200). My stride is short, though (it only goes over a metre in races). I have experienced lanky buggers literally jog past me while I'm turning my legs like a Hanna-Barbera cartoon character. My short stride is why I'm as slow as I am - you are definitely not slow, though, so I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I can understand parkrun saying all or nothing as it would just drive runners to travel to ones that were open.  A victim of their own success, would have to be no SD or limitation on gatherings.   Not sure a lot of the councils would want them right now with the extra cleaning etc for toilets plus the cost.  Could be a good year, maybe longer, from parkrun starting up again.  

Cal - a short stride is not an indication of potential speed.   Some of best runners are tiny, men and women, with short stature and short legs too.  But they have big hearts and big lungs 😊
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    German Runner's World article and a quick look on Munich's Facebook page suggest they're turning the marathon into a 30k event.  Personally, I wouldn't be happy with that at all!
    https://www.runnersworld.de/news-fotos/muenchen-marathon-wird-zum-30-kilometer-lauf/
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - interesting but I too would not be happy with that.

That press release also mentions that like Hamburg whether the races go ahead is still subject to approval by the authorities.  
    You have to carry your own bottle to fill at the stations, I wouldn't be happy with that in a road race, imagine the queue.  And I get the impression that they think that by starting the field over a period of 3 hours they'll be well spread out but I don't think they realise that many will not run at an even pace and many will have been ambitious with their finishing times.

They say they're not doing the marathon as not enough staff.  

Due to the lack of races I've even pencilled in the Trotter's 10k in September.   In fairness I like the route, it's my 10k PB course so would like to run it again.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-My wife uses that excuse and I tell her shorter strides are better I read somewhere,takes more effort to drag these long legs around.
    Big G-I really wouldnt be happy with a 30k,rather have a defer to next year.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    30K is not a marathon, so no, I wouldn't be happy either.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I remembered I considered Antwerp night marathon before all this happened so had a look and they seem pretty confident,even their mayor was talking about it.Its the evening before Hamburg so you could even double ;-)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The cynic in me thinks the chosen distance of 30k at Munich, which they're showcasing as a distance runners won't have raced before so therefore a new PB, is because there are going to be hold ups on the course, such as queueing for water.   Otherwise if the organisers were true runners they would scale it down to a half marathon but I think they know runners wouldn't be able to run as they normally would in a race due to the restrictions.

I wonder if London are looking at a similar option for the charity runners.

Unfortunately now that Leicester is in lock down again I think that's the end of any chance of races in August.  I can't see EA allowing road races in only certain parts of the country, it will be all or nothing and Leicester are going back to lockdown with non essential shops and schools closing again.

We had our Zoom meeting last night, demonstrating some new software.   Zoom was good, couldn't get my new headphones to work though even though they're paired with my PC they wouldn't connect.   I'll probably give up trying and buy another plug in headset for my PC.   Can use the headphones with my phone, if/when I ever leave home again on a trip  :/

8 miles this morning, wind had dropped and although it was cool it was very humid.   Halfway through my run it started to rain and that was cooling and made it feel fresher.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I hadn't heard of that Antwerp one before so maybe one to look out for in the future.  I do fancy a night marathon.

Usually Munich have a Half and 10k on the same day so Shades I think you may be right what you're saying.  I think I would be looking at cancelling travel plans and not travelling if I was going from the UK even if I couldn't get a deferral from the race....that would be a pointless race for me.  From that press release it looks like it's still starting and ending at the Olympic stadium so that is at least something as the finish was a good one, running around the track there.  I was wondering of they'd cancel that as I suppose they wouldn't want people congregating and when I went people were sitting in the stands watching the runners, and runners who had finished were congregating in the middle drinking the beer they had there.

Early evening yesterday I just suddenly fancied a short run so I went out.  It was only 3-miles which is too short for it to be classed as a good/bad run as it takes me a mile to get going, but it still felt much better than yesterday morning.

Then this morning I went out for 7-miles on exactly the same route as yesterday...and was 2.5mins quicker, meaning today was about average for that route.  I'm therefore much happier following today's run than yesterday's!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I'm tempted to go there instead if Hamburg,especially with the mayor saying it will go ahead,they shouldn't have many objections,and it is also a lot smaller,but it is the 1st edition and I'm wary of first time races.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's good, Big G.

I woke up very groggy today and it took me ages to get going (I even considered not running, but then told myself I'd feel better if I ran...which I do, in fact). I didn't make it out until almost 7, which is horrendously late for me. :D   I was also quite sore from the S&C session I did yesterday afternoon (lots of hip/glute stuff but also some push-ups and stuff) so my warm-up today was mostly foam rolling.

Concentrated on form a lot more and it resulted in a little more pace than yesterday. Groin was quiet...achilles had a good old moan though but I'm not listening to any of its nonsense. Anyway, got 6 miles done, so I'm happy with that. I may well take a rest tomorrow and run Thursday and Friday (weather doesn't look great, either).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - glad to hear you had a good run today.   Maybe it was your hay fever again yesterday, I could smell the hay and cut grass today.   I love the smell of fresh hay, but then I don't have hay fever. 🤧

Ian - I just had a quick look at Antwerp marathon, if I had a choice I'd do Antwerp.   Normal drink stations etc.   I know there's always a risk when doing a brand new event that something goes wrong but for me the measures that Hamburg suggest are a sure fire recipe for disorganised chaos.    The lower numbers in the Antwerp event make it more appealing too.

Races are back on in Ireland too, but border controls at the moment so we can't travel there.

I see that the list of air bridges will be  announced sometime this week now.

Cal - you're making good progress with your rehab.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I have just done some research into the Antwerp organisers and they also organise the Antwerp 10 mile,which has 35000 runners so they should know what they are doing.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Ian - I did the Antwerp marathon in 2018, it used to be on the same day as London; it was ferociously hot that year. Looking at the website, it seems like a different course but the same organisers as previously. It was very well organised (apart from the usual complaint of not enough toilets near the start line) and a fairly small event so no problem at water stations etc. The course was very flat and quite fast apart from some wiggly bits through the city centre, there were some quite isolated parts of the course with very few spectators (or runners) but looks like the new course stays closer to the city centre rather than heading out towards the suburbs. Obviously a risk with a new course but from my experience they seemed well organised etc

Antwerp is a great city too, nice bars and cafes etc. I went on the Eurostar which takes you to Brussels, you then get onward travel from Brussels to anywhere in Belgium for no extra cost (providing you travel on the same day). I finished the marathon, had a shower and something to eat and drink then caught the train back to London and met some friends who'd done London marathon at about 6pm. Much less stressful than flying! 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Tommy-That is really good feedback,thanks a lot,being a northerner though I will definitely fly,looking at it,there are decent flights Sat am in to Brussels and leaving Sunday afternoon or evening.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    No problem. Those look like very convenient flights, i'm fortunate that my sister lives in London so could stay at hers before heading up home in Nottingham the following day. 

I enjoyed my time there, missed my target by about 7 minutes falling from 3:15 to 3:22 but given it got up to 26 degrees during the race I guess that isn't too bad. You shouldn't have any problems with the heat at a night race in September though!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Tommy-I did look at eurostar out of interest and if I lived that way I would choose that option,£70 return and only 2hr15 journey.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Tougher run today,15 miles but legs felt dead for the first 6 miles or so,had a big downhill then that seemed to kick them in to gear and got closer to my usual pace then,but overall 3 mins slower than the same route last week.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Still a decent run out Ian and two long runs quite close together too.  You probably know that I've been over to Belgium many times and used the Eurostar a lot - I do like travelling that way, but no good for you I suppose if flying is easier/more time efficient.

6-miles this afternoon.  Strange conditions again as although in the afternoon it was quite humid compared to recent afternoons, but I had a nice run out.  I just took it steady and wasn't too concerned with getting the HR up to the mac MAF rate, so it was quite an easy run out really on one of my routes that involves a steep uphill first mile.

Trying to look ahead to plan what to do about this 5k time trial in terms of the weather.  I expect I'll do 7-10ish tomorrow and then on Thursday have a better idea about when I'm doing the 5k.  An evening trip over to the industrial estate may be better in terms of traffic etc, but I'll play it by ear.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I'd happily get the Eurostar,but by the time I get London,leave plenty of time for delays it would take me longer and cost more,flight is only 70 mins.
    Looks like I'm going to go for it anyway,a night race will be interesting to do.
    Finished the month on 270,new record by 20 and halfway on 1259.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I'd forgotten it was half way through the year.  I've done 1263 so very similar to you.  260 miles for the month so not quite as many as last month for me but there's that all important one day less :)