Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that's great news the hip is now better, you've been very unlucky with injuries over the last year.   

I'm not concerned about weddings but Steve has a wedding booked later in the year and is obviously hoping that goes ahead.

I'm sure you'll get your holiday in Cornwall but it's expected that traffic will be much worse than usual as a lot of folk that usually go to Europe will be staying here and probably head for Devon and Cornwall.

I suppose Ware are old school and not really embracing technology either.   Even our little club had virtual events and also took part in a club relay event over a variety of distances, I didn't though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I was going to ask you about Aldi, funnily enough.  I was wondering about their numbers, and wondering about the staff numbers in your store.  When you look at the stats of some of the cases, the risk is still very, very low for people who are in good health.  It's just the experience itself that is odd I think for pubs/restaurants - probably table service by someone in a mask and gloves?  I do feel for those small, family owned restaurants who often do great food, and the tourism industry is struggling (I know that from the zoo).  It is a very tricky balancing act.  

Robert, yeah you're right - it's an individual thing.   Just because pubs are opening doesn't mean I have to go I suppose!  Good news the hip is better.

Shades, sounds like it was a good shopping experience.  Maybe it's just the bigger cities like Exeter where the measures were more noticeable.  As I mentioned the other day, it was an eye opener when I went and very different to what I've become used to here.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Like yourself I also feel it’s a bit early but at the same time we cannot stay in lockdown indefinitely given that a vaccine could be a year away. The risk is that people will be much less compliant if there’s a second wave. I am working from home for the rest of the year at least, do all shopping online and prefer to meet friends at home rather than the pub so limited impact for me of easing. What I do really miss though is going out for a meal which we will do as soon as restaurants reopen. 

7 miles in 27 degree weather earlier. Now that I don’t care about pace in the heat given recent run, I enjoyed running through a sunny common.

Got this from Brighton who seem optimistic:

We hope that you are well and coping with the unique challenges that lockdown has presented to you, your friends & family.

In May, we promised to update you at the end of June with regards to the status of the 2020 Brighton Marathon Weekend amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.

We remain optimistic and hopeful for our 2020 event as the UK Government continues to ease restrictions.

We also continue to work alongside other event organisers such as London Marathon, Great Run Company and Human Race, towards the safe return of mass participation events. Together we are striving to produce event plans that will incorporate social distancing and increased levels of hygiene across the event footprint.

Additionally, we would like to address and allay recent concerns regarding the number of places now remaining for the 2021 Brighton Marathon. Once more, we want to reassure you that there will be places available for our 2020 participants.

•     If the event goes ahead as planned in September, shortly after we will offer 2020 Brighton Marathon participants the opportunity to sign up for the 2021 event.

•    Should the 2020 Brighton Marathon Weekend be cancelled, all general entry participants will be able to choose to defer, for free, to either the 2021 or 2022 event. All charity entry places will honoured for our 2021 event.

•    If you have already entered 2021 as a general entry participant and the 2020 event is cancelled, your 2020 place will be automatically deferred to 2021 leaving you with two places. The additional place can be transferred to someone of your choice or to the 2022 event.

Finally, for those who are anxious about training for an event this September, please be assured there is still plenty of time left to train and we'll continue to support you over the summer. Your long runs, rides and hard work can only be of benefit to you physically and mentally. Enjoy it and reap the rewards! 

If you are raising money for a charity, please continue to share your training and fundraising targets with your peers, as your charity needs you now more than ever.

Thank you for your patience and invaluable support. We, our charities and our network of suppliers would not be here without you.

We will be in touch again next month. 

With thanks,
    Brighton Marathon Weekend
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - pubs and restaurants are much higher risk as we're likely to be there for well in excess of 15 minutes.  In the supermarket we might be a lot closer physically and with a lot more people but the contact is usually very brief.

Btw - wasn't that great a shopping experience, very few customers allowed in Wilko but they were mostly old and no spatial awareness and wandered round slowly without thought of others waiting to get in the shop and getting in everyone's way.

Wilko's have been open all through the lockdown but now have stricter in store measures like only one till open.  They put in self service tills but not allowed to use them this morning.

I will only shop when I have to.  

Ian - very interesting stats and I hope offers some reassurance to you and your staff.

Rcouture - great run.  

That's a good email from Brighton and answers a lot of questions that were puzzling like the possibility of ending up being entered twice for next year's event.

Still doesn't help you as to whether the event will go ahead though.  You'd better just keep on training.  😉
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - It does seem there’s a possibility of this going ahead which to be honest I hadn’t considered previously. Like London marathon’s statement it seems like they are working on specific social distancing measures which at this late stage suggests they are somewhat confident. I was just running to get better and for fun with the view that I’d be in decent shape to start marathon training next year. Bearing in mind it is 3 months away, do I just carry on as usual at around 40-45 mpw on MAF until say August before progressively upping weekly long runs and adding some tempo/MP stuff at like an 80:20 ratio?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - yes I think that's a good idea.  For the time being just carry on as you are doing and surely at their next update there will be a definite decision as to whether the event goes ahead.

What you're doing now gives you the best possible base for marathon training.

Actually I think they have a better chance than London as not so many runners, but we'll see.    I think it will depend on what size event EA will allow to go ahead.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Helloooo Shadies,

Been AWOL from the thread again.. my excuses are a mixture of injuries and work.

Briefly, my asthma has got a lot better as the pollen that affects me has disappeared, it is now boiling here which means you need to go out for a run before the sun comes up or forget it. Anyway, I haven't even been doing that as when my horse pushed me on to that wall I did end up cracking a rib. I didn't actually have an x-ray as there was no point, nothing you can do about it anyway but it was incredibly painful and I haven't been able to do any exercise for three bloody weeks  . This week it has eased off but work has been manic and I've been doing loads of extra hours so haven't even had the time or energy to try a run. I can't really complain as I had nearly 2 months off with the Covid lockdown but I am counting down the days until school breaks up.
    I am now planning a comeback  B) (Again)

Sorry I can't comment on everyone as I just don't know where to start. I have been lurking away though and blearily reading your posts on my phone in bed at night.

The only thing running related I can think of saying is that I'm pretty sure a forumite finished first woman at the Iceland marathon a couple of years ago. It was Literatin on Skinny's thread and she always had really interesting posts and race reports. However, since the forum changed I only ever look at this thread now so I've no idea if that thread still exists or how you could go about digging up that report Ian... :/

There you go, that's my news. I shall report back when comeback has started. I've put on about 3kg though so I'm not that optimistic to be honest  :|
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox. - lovely to hear from you.  Glad the rib has healed, must have been so sore.

Does Literatin live in Iceland?   I don't know her but in the back of my mind there was a forumite who lives in Iceland.

How are things now with you re Covid 19?  Do you still have some restrictions?

What about races, are they back on.

Don't worry about the 3kg, plenty of time for a comeback.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen New York marathon cancelled.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Berlin now confirmed cancellation for 2020.   Wonder what effect that will have on Hamburg's chances.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Mama-Had a quick google bit couldn't find it,I think she won Chester a few years ago also,maybe a scottish lady if it's her.
    Bad news about New York and Berlin confirming,so glad I got to do them both last year.
    I like NYC's policy though,you can have a refund or defer in to any of the next 3 years races.I'm still hoping to go back in 2022.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Hope I am not speaking out of turn, but Lit does indeed live in Scotland. She won Chester marathon and also Iceland half.

May be of interest that Chicksta lives in Hamburg...

Shades, there used to be someone who lived in Iceland. Think it was LizzieB but can't be sure!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - NYC have some sensible options then and that should leave some places for them to have available for other runners next year.  If a race such as NYC that's always oversubscribed just rolls everyone to next year it's disappointing that other runners would have to wait yet another year to try and get a place.

Alehouse - of course not, you're always welcome. :)

You've got a much better memory than I have for names and where they come from.  I vaguely remember conversations about Iceland, the limited selection of food I seem to remember.

If you hear about Hamburg let us know, I think Ian might be interested,  I don't think I can get flights. 

I've lost interest in travelling anywhere this year except if Guernsey will let us in then that might be an option to replace Frankfurt.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse-Thanks,I seemed to remember her from when I first did chester.
    Shades-Hopefully most will roll into next year so plenty of spaces available for 2022.
    9 miles after work and someone turned the oven on,didn't look at my watch at all as just wanted to run easy,came out slower than usual but I'm fine with that as it should have in that heat for the same effort as usual.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good news about your hip, Rob.
    My groin seems to be improving a lot. Had two walks yesterday (3 miles in the morning and 1 in the evening) and three today (5 in the morning, 1 afternoon, 1 evening). It's not so bad. I think I'll be able to run soon, maybe the weekend. We'll see I guess.
    Not surprised everyone HR is high in this heat - mine was 120s for my morning walk, and I wasn't going super fast. (I walked before breakfast but I'd had a coffee and may have been slighly dehydrated after a hot night, which will factor in).
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    LizzyB did infact live in Iceland but this was going back 2005 not sure if she still does.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Welshpoppy - you've got a good memory, thanks for that info.

How have you been coping in these strange times?   Hope you're OK and still running every day.

Ian - was hot here yesterday too.

Cal - that is good news.  Maybe no hills or faster stuff for a little while but at least you'll be back running.

Hot last night, not really good for sleeping but I did sleep OK, as I'd had a poor sleep the previous night.   Felt quite cool and fresh when I went out this morning but in less than half a mile I was sweating on my face and there was no heat/sun at this time just really high humidity.   Am fed up already of flat routes this week and my hamstring seems OK so did that nice route of 2 miles flat, 4 miles hilly and 2 miles flat that I did last week and had a really good run through the picturesque villages.   No traffic there just a lot of rabbits.   I'm so grateful I can get my run done early in the day, I'm not going out again today, don't like this hot weather.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm with you there, Shades - 28 degrees in my room last night and it'll be hotter tonight. Tomorrow is forecast for a big storm that'll get things cooled down, so looking forward to that.
    Another walk - I'm using my walks to explore the same way I would some of my runs, as it makes the distance tick by a bit quicker. Today's was the backstreets of Streatham and I racked up 6.66 miles exploring.
    Groin niggles the first couple of miles, particularly after tromping up the hill next to Streatham Common, but it settled after that.
    Interesting that I actually had a negative cardiac drift on this walk - HR started quite high (118 and 123 for the first two miles) but then dropped back down. Last full mile was 82 (a bit downhill though). I'd have thought it would go the other way as it was getting warmer and I was starting to get thirsty.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that is really hot, not that bad here but still very humid and not pleasant at night.   We're due a storm in the early hours of the morning but I think it will be just as humid for my run tomorrow morning, but by the weekend back to better running conditions.

Ignore those HR readings, they sound way out especially for the first 2 miles.   That's the problem with the wrist HRMs, show high readings, jump all over the place.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, good to hear from you, and very sorry about your hip.  But sounds like you're on the come back trail.  How is our hay fever?

Ian, well done for getting out.  It was very warm here for me yesterday afternoon.

Rest day here today.  I did get up at my usual time (5:30am) and even went downstairs to put the kettle on, but I just wasn't right - eyes streaming, feeling sluggish and RHR a couple of beats higher than usual so I just knew that it wouldn't be a good run.  I was also a bit achey and also still tired, so I went back to bed and slept until 8:30am.  I do feel much better now with some food and coffee inside me, and I've taken my hay fever meds, but I have an appointment at 11am which I need to leave for soonish (I'm walking over) so I won't be running today.  I did go out for a walk late yesterday afternoon and it would have been much too hot for me for an enjoyable run. It's going to be a lower mileage week this week, but I was half planning one either this week or next week anyway, so it's looking like it'll be this week...probably it'll be mid-40s for the week.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I noticed on the weather app on my phone a big red warning for VH pollen today, was there yesterday too, but due to reduce a bit tomorrow and down further at the weekend.   Nothing to be gained trying to run when you suffer so much with hay fever.

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    10 sweaty miles this morning (17c @ 4:30am!) came out to 9:41 @ 124 bpm.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that's warm, and I assume humid, at that early hour.   
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The only time I could run today was 4.30 and it was boiling,possibly the hottest I've ran in,kept it slow,tried for the same effort as usual and it was about 30 s/m slower than normal,another 9 ticked off though so still on track.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    7 miles for me at about 8pm in 28 degrees. Tons of kids partying in the parks. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you're doing well to be on schedule in this weather.

Rcouture -  that's hot for you too.
    I can't see any difference between now and before lockdown, we'll be so lucky if we don't get a 2nd wave.   Talk of closing the beaches after the disgusting scenes at Bournemouth yesterday but that would only move folk to the parks and other open spaces.

8 miles this morning.  Warm night again, no promised thunderstorm, was 17 and 95% humidity when I went out  but very overcast.   Had a sore knee yesterday probably due to kneeling while I was painting the back wall of a fitted unit.  Knee was sore when I got up but felt like the usual 'loose cartilage' that I get periodically, sometimes I rest it but not sure it makes any difference so decided to go out and see how it was.  First couple of miles it was sore, persistent grumbling pain, then started to hurt a bit more so planned to turn around at the 3 miles point, I was doing an out an back route, but at 3 miles it wasn't too bad so decided to continue for planned 4 miles.   Turned around at 4 miles and by 5 mile point pain had completely gone and not even a twinge for the rest of my run.  Very sweaty by the time I'd finished my run. 🥵
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it's odd isn't how sometime little niggles vanish during a run.

Rcouture, it was the same here - I went out at around 7pm for a run and the parks and, to a lesser extent, the beaches, were busy with large groups of people having BBQs etc.

Ian, well done on getting that run done in that heat.  You quite like warmer conditions don't you?  Or at least, don't wilt too much in them?

Busy day here yesterday with various chores and errands, including going over to see my Dad.  I am trying to stay calm, but it's difficult.  I managed to get him down to the nurse as he's been suffering a lot with his diabetes recently.  She upped his meds and all was well until we got back and he announced "I'm not doing that.  She's only a nurse and what she has prescribed will kill me"!  Trying not to get angry but at the same time trying to persuade him that she was very well trained and knew what she was doing was basically impossible.  I think I'm going to have to see if his GP will call him and tell him the nurse is right.   Grrrr.  Trouble is I don't have any legal right to interfere with his medical stuff, and I do wish I'd sorted that out 3 or 4 years ago now.  I think he'd have been okay with it at that a few years ago, but I think he'd be a bit annoyed if I start talking about power of attorney etc now.

Anyway, after all that and saying I wouldn't run yesterday, I felt I just needed to get out and was feeling much better than the morning so I went for a 7.5-miler at 7pm.  Although still quite warm, it cooled as the run progressed and it was actually a decent run out, and the humidity was low at that time of day.  I may see if I can do a few more runs every now and again at that time as it did feel fresher.  Although I am pretty flexible with time it's more difficult in the evenings especially when OH is working as it's not really fair on her if I go out the door just as she comes back.  She would probably say "no problem", but I wouldn't really feel right when I've had all day to train.  She was off yesterday so it wasn't so much of an issue.

Then this morning I was up early so was out the door for around 6am and went and did 7-miles.  A reasonable run out again and although humid according to the BBC, it did feel a bit fresher today.  I suppose if I run Saturday and Sunday mileage may get into the low 50s after all, which is still a cut back week of sorts based on a average of 60s and last week's 72.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Shades: Lizzy was a friend back then and was very helpful on the training thread:-)

Thanks for asking struggling but it was not having my injection for over 3 months so i was fatiqued finally had beginning of this month , then my Achilles had a major strop and is still at it as it takes ages to settle been over 2 weeks already.But these are strange times indeed and a long time till we get any normality back I fear!

How are you coping?
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - didn't realise you wouldn't be able to get your injection during the lockdown, seems some folk could and others couldn't.   Hope the achilles settles, you were out for a very long time with that before.

I'm fine thanks, plenty of running, just missing the gym and the library.

Big G - oh, that must be so frustrating for you with your Dad and his diabetes.   I'm sure some of the nurse practitioners are more knowledgeable in their field than the GP but not easy to accept that by some older people.  Plus there's always the element of getting older and just not wanting to do as they're told, I'm sure we'll be the same.

When my Mum was about 90 she was given one of those emergency pendants to wear in case she needed help as she lived on her own, but when I would visit her it would be on the coffee table and when I mentioned it she said 'Oh I don't need it', of course she had a fall and wasn't wearing it.   She did start to wear if after that but not all the time.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-All I heard last night was people partying and mass gatherings as Liverpoom won the league so expect a little spike here in a couple of weeks.
    Big G-Hope your dad listens,yes I do ok in the heat,just learnt to run easier and not worry about the pace,I was a wet mess by the end though.