Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    It's looking like an incredibly tight finish with 35 mins left,if my maths is right on current pace its heading for pretty much a dead heat.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nick (currently first) has had to come back out.  Ryan (2nd) was walking incredibly slowly so Nick stopped, but then Ryan picked back up again so Nick had to come back out to try and keep hold of the winning position.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Incredible recovery from Nick to throw in a 4:50 lap,1 more for the win I think.
    They are flying now,at the end of 24hrs they are running sub 8min miles
  • Options
    That was remarkably close by the end.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That was a great finish, for the top 2 guys and also for the 2nd woman, hope she holds her placing once they've measured the final part lap.  2 women in the top 5 is impressive.

This so makes me want to have another go at a 24 hour 😭

Anyone else fancy a go, 12 or 24 hour?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Both runner ups were flying at the end,think Ryan's last mile was around 7:40,amazing.Today was another example of the central governor I think,a few hours before they had both given it up,then as the time was getting near the end they realised they had a bit more to give as their brain knew it was nearly over.
    Shades-I have been thinking more about doing a long race like this,obviously a 12 would come first but I like the idea of seeing what I could do.
    Same run as Friday today but terrible weather,glad to get it done though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I know on the face of it these things should be dull to watch, but I've enjoyed the two recent ones having never seen one before.  Did you see Jam nodded off around 20mins to go, which was quite amusing.  He wasn't happy at one point as someone had drawn slogans on Lane 1, which they shouldn't have done.  Thumbs up to Zach as well - he didn't need to finish as he has nothing to prove, has he.  I think Jam and the other commentator were a bit surprised he decided to carry on.

Ian, yes, it's amazing how they managed to rally around and how close different groups of runners came to each other.  Ryan was dead on his feet at one point.  He was moving, but it wasn't really what could even be called walking.  I think they said it took him about 10mins to walk around one lap, not including the aid station.

Shades, it has sparked some kind of interest.  As Ian said, possibly a 12hr at some point, but I'd want to do a couple more 6hr events first (and run the whole 6hrs).  There is something about watching it that makes it interesting viewing - I think it's partly that there's nowhere to hide.  It's just normal people digging deep, and knowing that they know they'll go through a down patch at some point.  It's impressive stuff.
  • Options
    Maybe...eventually...
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Jamil has another small race if you fancy it http://cocodona.com/
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Ian - when it gets to the last few minutes of a 12/24 hour it's like a moment of madness as you know you can stop soon and it will be over, everyone has a daft slightly manic grin on their face, it's a weird sensation and quite funny.

Yes, definitely do a 12 hour first to sort out the fuelling and get used to the track/race protocol.

Let me know when Zach does his post race blog/podcast I'd like to hear what happened to him on the day.

Big G - those 6 hour challenge events are so tough mentally as you're not really running with ultra runners.   I might try a couple but I know it will be hard not to stop at marathon point.   You'd find it much more enjoyable if you found an ultra event to do, although most of them in the UK are on trail, which you might not want.   Or find a defined race distance 30-50 miles, very little choice in this country if you want a road surface, quite a few in Ireland and other parts of Europe to choose from when we can travel again.
    However a 6 hour will not really help you progress to a 12 hour, in a 6 hour you can get by on little or no fuelling, 12 hour requires fuelling.   6 hours are very difficult to pace too.

Cal - when/if that eventuality happens I think you'd be very good at a 12/24 as you are very strong mentally when you race.

5 easy miles for me this morning, nice mild morning.

Pilates and gym this morning.   :)
  • Options
    Shade - Is the difference with fuelling for these 12-24hrs that you can’t just rely on gels and have to figure out what works for you in terms of solids?

Taper ‘long’ run yesterday for just under 9 miles. I’m thinking to do 3 miles tomorrow and another 3 on Thursday and nothing else before the race on Sunday. Is that enough? I tend to run about 5x a week so wondering if I should add one more little trot in there at some point. I know there’s no benefit for the race itself but assuming it’s mainly to keep the legs moving. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Ian, crikey, that looks a tough event!

Shades, I suppose the advantage of the 6hr events is that I'd never do a 6hr training run on my own.  On the one I did, after about 4hrs it became obvious who were hoping to do the 6hrs and I found it quite a social event.  I think if I set mind to doing the 6hr before I started I'd be okay; when I go into them saying "I *may* go on to 6hrs" I tend to stop at the marathon point!  I wouldn't really want to do a 50k/50-miler on trails - City to Sea marathon is about my limit and 20-miles of that is decent terrain.

I did an easy hour yesterday afternoon on the turbo, after the 24hr coverage had finished.   Then went out for my "long run" today, and did 8 miles.  Again, nice and easy to HR, and everything felt quite good with no major pains anywhere.  It was blustery on the sea front and running back into the headwind the HR did elevate a bit, but I'm fine with that.  I'm slow though with an average of 10:30min/mile at 140bpm so I've got a lot to do.  In the summer, before my 5K PB, I was doing these types of runs on this terrain at a bit under 10min/miles.  But 8 miles pain free is a step in the right direction.

Regarding the 24hr event, I did see the trophy the winner got.  It looks nice and they engraved it with his distance.  I think the pic is available even if you're not logged into Strava.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4468062604
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Rcouture - yes, you're right.   Many runners cannot even stomach their planned gels in the final stages of a marathon.    So as with longer distances you need to have some fuel, it's a matter of finding what your body can tolerate and also palatable to you.

Tapering is different for everyone, if you want your runs this week to be a little longer then do that.  It's important that you do what feels right for you.   Yes, to keep your legs moving but also to stop you going stir crazy and mentally starting to feel unfit (when you're not of course).

Big G - that's the problem with the challenge event, you can decide during the run what to do and as we'd have already done a distance to count for any marathon tally it's so easy to stop and go home.   :)

I'm not sure why you'd want to do a 6 hour training run on your own anyway, although my Conne plan does have a  couple of 30 mile long runs to do which would probably take me 6 hours.   Wouldn't take you that long though.    :)

8 pain free miles is really good, HR definitely not important right now. 

That's a lovely trophy.   I laughed at the elevation, 13 feet over 155 miles  :D

Lovely Pilates class, some great stretches, shoulders, hips and hamstrings today.   Followed by very pleasant gym session.   
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I supported a couple of friends running a marathon, city to Sea in reverse. I joined them at star cross and did the last 10 miles, this is approx as I'm still tech free. The weight loss is helping as found it ok.  Went out with Milo for approx 3 miles this morning and got very wet. I'm leading the Improvers tonight, little nervous as I've not lead a group for ages but I'm sure it will be fine. Well done everyone who got out over the weekend. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck tonight, Jelly. 

Lots of ifs here Shades, but I suppose if I want to run 12hrs personally I’d like to get a couple of 6hrs under my belt first, plus tick another marathon off and hopefully improve my 6hr distance whilst I do it.  I really can’t see why I wouldn’t attempt a couple of them if I ever do enter a 12hr event. 

• Options
    Did someone mention 12 hour races ;) Yes but NOT on a bloody athletic track.
    Had a pleasant near 12 mile run yesterday despite the wind and rain later on making it bloody cold. Comfortably under 10 min miling and would have been faster than i was if i hadn't gotten cold coming back into headwind with rain. Yes that is because i wore my bog standard any time of year running gear or top and shorts.
    I shall look at some longer stuff but based on latest Tiering news no real rush as i suspect it will be summerish before things are vaguely normal again. If i get overly bored waiting i'm perfectly happy cracking out marathon distance on my own.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - some good training for you over the weekend.   Hope the club run went well, I'm sure you weren't nervous once you'd all got together for the run.

Keith - I only know of one 12 hour race now in the UK that isn't trail, and that's the track one at Crawley.    That course we did at Boston was good, wasn't it.   I did my 6 hour PB that day and you did carried on with the 12 hour, you were still running while MG and I went for a very fine roast dinner  :)

You're ramping up the distances of your long runs.    I think you're right, summer before we can expect a more normal race calendar.

My hilly run today, 8 miles, 659 feet, only managed one lap of Powderham, ankle was grumbling a bit, I should have redone the taping last night, it loosens after a couple of days.   Wore my Elf shoes again, they are so good on the hills.

Big G - the wide1080's you bought recently, are they a better fit?  I might start to keep an eye on the price and get a pair myself.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I haven't actually ran in the wider version as yet but they are more roomy when walking around the house in them.  All being well, I'm planning a 10-miler on Sunday so was going to wear them then, although if it's raining heavily or there are lots of puddles I doubt I'll run in a brand new pair of shoes.  I've got 165 miles in my regular width pair though and I'm still enjoying them a lot, but yesterday's 8 was the longest I've done in them.  I think for long runs (10+) I'll get the wider version out though.  I still haven't tried the Nikes yet either, and need to soon in the unlikely event I don't like them.  Adidas refunded me my £60 - it took quite a while but they kept me informed via email of what was happening and I got it yesterday.

Regarding races I can't see me booking anything too much in advance, certainly not anything that needs a hotel stay.  Even Dorney is I suppose under threat - I read somewhere that Slough 2 miles away is going into T3, whereas currently Dorney is T2, but how many people were going to come from Greater London to Dorney for a Half event happening next weekend?  I wonder how many will still travel?  I was vaguely tempted with booking Windermere but they didn't offer refunds or deferrals last time it was cancelled and it's quite an expensive trip with hotels, distance/time travelled, etc.  I think for me it'll be things that are drivable for a few more months, and possibly booked at relatively short notice, although I know I then risk events filling up.

I've got this duathlon in March and I've got DD as my goal after that.  That will keep me motivated to train, especially when the weather is good.   I can't see me doing marathon distance in training but I can get out for long runs on the trails when it's nice, no problem.  

I did an hour on the turbo yesterday and will probably do 1.5hrs or so a bit later today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, I'm of the same opinion re the width of the 1080's, I'm very happy with mine but I think if I was running long or in warmer weather I would appreciate the extra width.

You'll need to find a dry day to try out the Nikes.

Re races, isn't Slough already in Tier 3?   That will be a real problem if Dorney stays in Tier 2 with London/Essex moving up the Tier 3.   Not sure how much responsibility is the race organisers to stop those runners travelling, EA could just pull the licence if necessary I suppose.   Tricky situation, that could jeopardise the marathon there that Robert is planning to do if it's seen that runners are travelling from a higher Tier to race.

Re Windermere I would suggest you book accommodation especially if you want to stay in Ambleside or similar and hold fire on the race entry.

No need to do marathon distance in training for DD...just a few hilly long runs  ;)   Hopefully we'll be able to get a marathon or two done before DD too.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-What happened up here last week is the race organisers emailed everyone who is in tier 3 and told them their entries were cancelled and weren't allowed to race,guessing that will be what they all do in order to keep their licenses.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's the best way of protecting our existing races.    I saw a couple of announcements from other race organisers warning runners not to travel from Tier 3 to a Tier 2 area to race in their events, there was no mention of cancelling entry but maybe that was kept for direct communication with the runners.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, you're right Slough is already in T3.  It's hard keeping up with it all!  I suppose with Greater London going into T3, that could also impact events located at the likes of Dorney, even if they remain in T2.  Regardless, at the moment for me it'll just be drivable events for the foreseeable future and I have a couple of things to keep me motivated for now.  In terms of January/Feb, I think it's a bit worrying that cases are on the rise already and we haven't really got to the potentially more risky part of Xmas yet.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I remembered about Slough as there was some comment at the time that Slough was being picked on  :open_mouth:

I believe from now on the Tiers will be reviewed weekly.   I had an email for Devon County Council saying they expect us to remain in Tier 2.

If you look at other European countries they're having increasing numbers too, Italy and Germany especially.   Ireland have had a very strict lockdown for 6 weeks and their numbers are down to 200-300 cases a day and deaths in single figures.

Right now I can't find any events to do, but I wouldn't be thinking of racing until around April anyway.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I still have my eye on that Gloucester event but I wouldn't do the marathon.  I did see Dawlish Coasters are going ahead with their Obelisk race (half marathon only, not the shorter event), but I doubt I'd do that - it's tough, which i don't mind, but it's mixed terrain which is not really my cuppa tea.  But it's good that a local club are at least thinking of trying to put something on in March as up until now all I've really seen are commercial races putting on events (I'm not complaining about that - it's just an observation).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Some clubs have not even resumed club training.   And with races, many require permission from councils and the like to use their venues/roads for events and permission is being denied, even for Covid safe events.
    The commercial organisers need to make a living and they've gone to great lengths to find venues that they can use safely, hence so many at motor racing circuits or similar.

Never fancied the Obelisk, January, cold, mud.  But good that DC are going ahead with the race.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yes, when I said "mixed terrain", I was being a bit kind ;)  Their Facebook page says "Our famous half marathon will take you on trails, fields, tracks, forest and mud (and hills)". 
  • Options
    Yes it’s not looking good for cases at all. My eldest who’s in reception has been at home since early last week as they had an outbreak at her school. They’re reopening tomorrow but most parents aren’t bothering sending kids back so close to the end of term anyway. I’m fearful this half on Sunday gets canned. I know the rules state that you can put on events in tier 3 but I fear the council might nix it. Runthrough have sent an email basically asking folks to stop hounding them about it and that they’ll get back to them later this week with a view!

Quick 3 mile taper run earlier. Will do one more on Thursday and maybe another couple of miles on Friday. I’m feeling very good which inevitably means my race will be canned 😀
  • Options
    I hope it'll be OK, rcouture - got my number today.  Fingers crossed eh?

That is a very nice trophy for the 24 hour.

6 miles today. Lovely weather but heavy legs.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    RCouture/Cal-Really hope it goes ahead for you, is it a closed environment or open to public access? as that could make a difference.
    7 miles today,still nice and slow,currently about 50s/mile slower than October.I scrolled back to this time last year and I am only 15-20s/m slower than December 19,so plenty of time to get in to decent shape again.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture/Cal, fingers crossed for your events.

Ian, it's frustrating being so much slower.  I am too, but we know we can get back to what we were doing.  It is amazing how quickly the fitness drops though.

1.5hrs on the turbo this afternoon, which was really enjoyable.  All easy effort, apart from I gave it everything on the approximately 10 short sprint sections in total.  I got a max HR of 182 at one point.  Ooooph.  The fan I've got set up is a big help and I have the window/door open, but I was still dripping with sweat; a similar effort outside with the wind I'd be nowhere near as sweaty.  I remember I had the same when I used to run on a treadmill at the gym many years ago, and for me it's one of the biggest drawbacks of indoor training.  Not totally sure if it helps but I am going through more electrolyte tabs currently.  I've got a run of 6-7ish planned tomorrow.