Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture/Cal - I'm sure RunThrough will do everything within their power to hold the race on Sunday.   They even had to get their race permits (also for your 10k Cal) from ARC as EA are unable to issue permits in a prompt manner.  If it hadn't been for ARC you'd have had no races at all.   That's why these races are not on the Pof10.

Ian - good progress from you, just as well you're able to look back at last year, the training diary/history is so useful.

Big G - it must be 3 months since you pulled up in that 10k, you can't expect to maintain fitness over such a long injury time.   However you will get back to that level of fitness a lot quicker this time round.

Not your sort of weather his morning Big G  😉

Normally my rest day today but with no circuits class and having taken a rest day on Sunday I went out for an easy 5 miles.   Heavy rain and very windy, gusts up to 50mph, so quite challenging in places, but it's mild so I actually enjoyed it.   I had intended to go out after 7 a.m. (need to book Pilates at that time) but I woke early so went out earlier and got back before 7 a.m.
    I have cancelled the gym today though as I wouldn't be able to get parked at that time at the leisure centre and I don't fancy getting wet again if I walk there, we have to queue up outside too.   I have to go out later anyway for an eye test, two drenchings in one day is enough for me.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Ha ha, no not my sort of weather but....

.... I got up on time and got out for 7-miles.  It was quite grim out on the sea front with the wind and rain (I'm avoiding hills as being cautious with the achilles still, so my runs are generally on the sea front) and the sea was coming in over the wall which was okay for part of it, but I had to turn back earlier than I'd planned as further along it was too dangerous, so I tagged on an extra mile at the end.   Although I was running at an easy effort the HR was elevated, but it was due to the conditions.  On this occasion I just decided to keep running rather than walk to try and keep the HR down.  It was nothing crazy as it was only an average of 148 for the whole run (rather than my target 142), and I had an enjoyable run out.  

Went shopping last night and picked up a couple of boxes of mince pies and some stollen, but I won't be opening them until 20th, so they're out of sight at the moment :) 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Weather is really bad up here also,as I'm off today I'm going to run later as it's due to ease this afternoon.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Big G - must have been blowing a hoolie on the seafront.   That's good HR stats in that wind.

Won't be long until the 20th  ;)

Ian - due to ease off here later too.

I've done something this morning I haven't done all year....booked a flight to a race 😲   I've had an email from IOM confirming marathon date is 8th August 2021, I have a deferred entry.   If the borders are still closed Easyjet will cancel the flight so might as well book now.   I don't think they are going to get any cheaper than what I've paid today, £23 each way, plus extra for bag.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-All the prices from Liverpool are 23 so must be the cheapest they go.That is great news,hopefully you can go this year.
    I just realised Berlin results are out today,I fully expect a No but then I can plan my Autumn races.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That's great news, Shades.  Fingers crossed it goes ahead.  Yes, it was bad weather on the front - I had spotted it was better weather later on but I'm planning to be back on the turbo this afternoon so wanted to get the run done early.
  • Options
    Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Ian good luck with the Berlin ballot, hope the weather eases later, I'm off too lovely morning down here.

Shades, thats a good price for the flights and hope you get to use them.  A friend of mine had a booking very early on in covid times, they offered a refund or voucher, it wasn't a huge amount so just opted for the voucher.  They were given 4 vouchers (one each of the flights and one each for bags) and conditions are you can only use one voucher per booking.  She has contacted to see if she can combine but no luck yet.

Big G I've done well after my 2 boxes of mince pies in November, I've stayed away from them since.  Looks like you and Ian both have had horrible weather, was calm, mild and sunny here for my run.

Cal/ Rcouture for you I hope your races go ahead, I know ATW have canned their new years day race as most of the competitors were from T3 so wouldn't be able to run.

Goes to show how many times I've looked at Dartmoor Discovery on google maps and videos... watching homes under the hammer and recognised Princetown straight away.  

Day off today, 7 miles in the bag and off to nip to the shops to get non-perishables.  Also going to pop into the office take some beers in for IT and postroom as a thank you before visiting my bosses and drop presents from the team.

I marshalled at ATW event at Debden airfield on sunday.  If you like horizontal rain, wind and max 1 degrees it was a nice day! Very flat and they have a marathon in April if anyone is interested, few of my friends posted fast times (gps wasn't accurate) half came up 13.3miles, 10k 6.4miles but pbs achieved so must have been the lapped course.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - previous year I booked more or less when the flights came out so 11 months pre race and I still paid £20 more for the total booking.   Just booked hotel too, £10 a night cheaper than the last time too.

Hope you get the result you want from Berlin.

Big G - I always think just get out there and run rather than faff around all day waiting for better weather...exception is when it's icy.

Robert - luckily I opted for one transfer and all the rest were refunds for my flights.   I see now that some folk are having to jump through hoops to get vouchers to work and of course if the airline go bust you have no recall on vouchers although I think you can claim if you paid over £100 and on a credit card.  Folks with vouchers for holidays are struggling even more to rebook for various reasons.

That's a shame that ATW have had to cancel a race.

Where is Debden?  I'm not keen on airfields as they are so windy.

I'm glad that DD is on your mind.   ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-The next problems with vouchers will be the likes of ours with Air France,they refused a refund and gave us vouchers with the option of a cash refund if we haven't used them in 1 year,we have £900 due in April,guessing if flights aren't back to a decent level by then they may be struggling for money again to refund.
    Easyjet have opened flights until March 22 already,presuming to get cash flowing in again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hope you get that £900.    I think I was lucky, mine weren't high value, highest was about £120 I think so I didn't have a problem.  

I went to book with Easyjet today as they have an offer (limited in numbers) that if you book with Mastercard and flight is over £100, a £20 credit back onto the Mastercard, but my total cost came well below the £100.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-We paid on credit card,but at the time the credit card company agreed with Air France,probably because they have to try and get it off them,hopefully if they don't pay we can get it back that way.
    TAP were the worst,just saud voucher and that's it,got 2 years to use or lose it,so may do Lisbon marathon to use it.
  • Options
    Good luck, Ian - I've lost nearly one and a half grand on flights this year.

10 miles this morning - lovely sunny weather (it's clouded over now, though) although there was quite a strong wind at times. Mostly enjoyable apart from getting stranded on a traffic island a few miles from home and pacing up and down angrily and swearing while I waited for two streams of traffic to go. :D
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I was watching Homes Under the Hammer too, and spotted it straight away also.  :)  Believe it or not, I've learned loads from that programme over the years!

Ian, I hope that £900 comes back to you.

Cal, that's a lot of money :(  I had hoped you'd have had some luck as it was with BA, wasn't it, but obviously not.
  • Options
    No, JAL and AA.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    As expected it was a no from Berlin,75% deferred from this year to next so wouldn't have been many places.
    first time in a while running 2 days on the run, felt ok so hope the foot behaves in the morning.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Cal - ouch, that's a lot of money to write off.   You were very unlucky that Tokyo was so early in the year/pandemic and the flights were still going ahead.

Ian - so that's Berlin off the schedule, what are you planning instead?

Been for a very Covid safe eye test.   I've always found Specsavers very busy and crowded and quite annoying, but with social distancing it was very quiet and much more pleasant experience.   Assuming that I haven't contracted Covid while I was there as I was there for quite a long time.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Shades-Current thinking for the Autumn is Reykjavik(Aug 21) Chester(Oct 3) Frankfurt (Oct 31) Barcelona(Nov 7) 
    Only Chester is entered at the minute so will look at flights and entries after xmas.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that's a great lot of races to look forward to!  Fantastic, let's all hope we can restart things like that next year.  I do have a Frankfurt entry but haven't decided what to do with it as yet, and I opted for a refund on my Chester entry.  How are you today after your 2 days in a row?

Rest day from running again today, but I do feel I could go out.  In fact I've felt that the last couple of weeks, but  I'm going to stick to my plan though of running Fri and Sun, and then I'll see how I am and may do my next run on the Monday, which be my first attempt at that.

I did an hour on the turbo yesterday evening, nice and easy in a group ride.  I still haven't really sorted out my cycling HR in relation to power on Zwift, but in my zone 2 cycling power zone it was an average of 123bpm and felt comfortable, which was the point.  Probably I'll do a ride (or two) today, and then over the weekend I'm dong Zwift's new Tour of New York series.

I'm not sure what to do about Xmas now.  It doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of coverage on the news this morning, but yesterday in his press conference BoJo said that elderly people should only mix over Xmas if they've had the vaccine.  Not law as far as I know, so only guidance, but I need to speak to Dad about what he wants to do.  I do want to be cautious but also don't like the thought of him on his own :(  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good selection there and all timed for when you should be at peak fitness again.   I hardly dare ask if your OH has chosen her debut marathon?

I don't think we're going to get the refunds, such as we did this year, as races just won't be able to afford to do that again.   I did look at Newport as I now have that weekend free but it is no refunds unless you take out the race insurance that Active provide, not cheap.   Plus I can't use Active anyway for entries so I will avoid Newport until running is back to normal.   I might not enter anything else in the Spring, I have a couple of deferred races and those with my training for DD will be my focus.

Tempo run for me today, I really do dread this session as I find it hard.   2m easy, 6m tempo, 2m easy.   I did better this time as I didn't go off so fast in the first tempo mile, at the end of that mile I though I must be on target HR of 85% but I wasn't I was only on 80%.   Tempo section average HR was below target at 82% but was faster pace than last time by 7 secs per mile.   Not due to increased fitness but because I didn't go off too hard and blow up like I did last time.  Chilly morning but not windy today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost, I wandered off for coffee again.   :)

Good that you're feeling fresh and pain free and not needing the rest days.

It is tricky re Christmas, I hope Boris's message has got through to those that had planned 5 days all mixing together, blindly thinking that if it's not breaking the guidelines it's safe.

How about take the food over to your Dad's, all ready to eat after a quick heat up and eat together.   You could do that in an hour, try and sit not too close etc., following all the guidelines as best you can.   I do think it's going to be so hard to ventilate rooms especially when elderly people feel the cold and it's going to cold over the Xmas period too.   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, we had thought of that.  We initially thought of doing it at our place as it's bigger and we can stick him at the end of a large table and tell him not to touch anything ;)  Generally there's more space at my place.  But it would mean I'd have to go over and pick him up and possibly the drive in the car is an issue, whereas if we went to his we'd be in and out more quickly, and we wouldn't be in the car with him.  "Big G's Meals on Wheels" has a certain ring to it anyway....
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that made me laugh, the sticking him at the end of the table and tell him not to touch anything.  ;)

Yes, the car journey adds extra time together that is not really worthwhile time together.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-The foot is fine today,heel was a little sore first thing but soon went so I'm happy with that.
    Shades-She has signed up for Manchester,that's why I'm not doing it,so I can show her where to go,what to do,cheer her on etc .If some go ahead earlier she may do 1 April/May but we are waiting,she is doing really well again though,back to 16 miles.
  • Options
    I'm having some thoughts about going to Manchester for Christmas - Colin and I are both on our own but Col has elderly parents that we normally visit on Christmas Eve.

Ian, glad your foot is on the mend. I'm still feeling my hamstring but as long as it doesn't get worse I'll tough it out.

Well done on the tempo, Shades, I always find those tough. HMP feels like 5K pace when I do it on my own...It still feels like voodoo to me that it is so much easier in a race.

7 at recovery pace today - gorgeous sunny weather but as I went out late (10am) the commons were full of small children and small dogs so I constantly had to slow down to avoid falling over one. Fortuantely I was intentionally going slowly, otherwise I'd have been annoyed.
    Legs felt tired.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - maybe ease off a little, you need to get rid of that discomfort on waking.

Manchester is now in the autumn of 2021 isn't it?   I've lost track of what is on when.
    Admirable how she's kept up the training, especially the long runs,  certainly more than I've done.😮

Cal - I wondered what your plans were for Christmas.   You have to do what you feel is right for you (and Colin).  For you it's the journey too, trains are going to be busy.

I do find the tempo so hard.   I'm not really sure what my HMP is but I think it is about the pace that I can manage.   My legs are OK once I've finished but like last time the run makes me ravenous for the whole day, this happened last time too.   I've just had lunch and could easily eat it all again.

I don't even know what 5k pace feels like! 🤮
  • Options
    Shades - Have you always focused on slower easy/low hr running or it’s something you’ve gotten into more recently?

4 miles taper trot for me at a snails pace today. Sunday’s race appears to be going ahead according to a Runthrough email. Am in two minds about whether to run tomorrow. Might just go for a walk with the little one on her bike. Quick question, would you warm up for a half? I would have assumed not given the distance and I haven’t in the past but I think I suffered from not doing so for my last 10k so just making sure. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I've been doing HR training for about 17 years, it's got me PB's at all distances from 4 miles to 50 miles without any speed work.   But there will be no more intensive speed work than the tempo runs I'm doing now, the distance of them will increase.  :'(

Good news that Sunday's race looks like it will go ahead.

Re warm up, that's a personal preference.  Maybe just a gentle 10 minutes, especially if it's cold.  Some folk do a few strides too, but if you don't do strides then don't as you could injure yourself before you even start.  When  you start the race gradually build up your pace in the first mile, don't go off like a rocket..I know that's easier said than done.
  • Options
    That’s quite the testament to that style of training. I’ve done a few strides at the end of runs but won’t try those. Think I’ll end up doing 5-10mins of easy running then as it seems to take me a while to get into rhythm even on training runs. I am in the second wave which is sub 1:50, as opposed to the optimistic target wave of sub 1:40, as I thought that might help to keep me starting slow. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It is October 10th so ideal timing. I am hoping it was just doing 2 days together, it's been a little sore on and off all day, the problem is I am on my feet for about 8 hours a day so even if I don't run I am on my feet for a lot.
    Rcouture-For HM I tend to go for an easy mile about half hour before, then at the end of that stretch for a few minutes, then get changed for the race, then about 10-15 mins before, a nice easy jog to warm the legs up again then good to go. Good idea on the pen but if you think you should be faster get to the front of that pen, if you end up near the back you could really struggle with people going quite a bit slower than you.10  mins is nearly 1m/m slower than you.
  • Options
    Ian - That’s a good point especially as it’s a twisty course so could be congestion. Hopefully given it’s all socially distanced there should be some space but I’ll make sure to get in there early.