Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I hope that wasn't a criticism of OH's driving  ;)   More likely the potholes around that seem to be reappearing again.   I suppose that's the swelling/bruising on your face that causes the discomfort.

Re fancy dress, I think I mentioned before that I knew a guy that as he was crossing the finish line at London for his first marathon was overtaken by a Pot Noodle.   For months afterwards his running clubmates teased him about it and used to leave Pot Noodles in unexpected places just to remind him, on his car, in his locker, draw prize in a raffle, in his goody bag at a race etc.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, no, definitely not a criticism of OH's driving.  :)  Just potholes, turning etc made me feel quite queasy.  The nurse did say that may happen but it's not a problem - it's only a problem if I'm physically sick numerous times, which I haven't been.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    So she's stopped doing those handbrake turns in the supermarket car park  ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Went out for a nice walk along the beach today and stopped off for a bacon bap and a coffee from a takeaway place.  I am so lucky to have this on my doorstep, and even when not running I can get out and get some fresh air.  I very, very rarely run on the beach but I walked along it today with the tide out, which does make an interesting trace on Strava as it looks like I'm swimming or walk on water :)  (The red dot/cluster towards the bottom is where I got the coffee from :) )

• Options
    Shades - That pot noodle story is hilarious

Big G - Would love to live near the beach. We’ve been considering moving to the south coast since I won’t really need to be in the office more than 1-2 times a week post pandemic. We do normally love London though so maybe it’s just the pandemic talking. 

7 miles at lunch. Balmy out. Heart rate nice and low so progress continues. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I know I shouldn't be disappointed as it is what it is,I just presumed I would get under 20,think its because I've felt pretty much any day in the last few years I'd be able to do it.
    Didn't really have time for a run today so hopped on the bike for a quick ride,jumped in to a course I've done before and managed another 1.5mph increase on my average.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well at least you can get a decent walk despite your injuries.   And nothing wrong with your appetite.

Rcouture - Now that you are WFH at least you have the option to move in the future without a change in your job.

Ian - your brain is in sub 20 zone, your body just needs a little more time to catch up.

7 miles this morning, did a twisting and turning route around town.   Strange weather, fine one minute then squally shower with gale force winds the next.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely nothing wrong with appetite, which is just as well :)  

I did roughly 1.5hrs on the bike late yesterday afternoon and felt okay, so I'll probably do similar today too.  Not too much to report other than that, really!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - not a lot happening in lockdown.    :/

I have got to the end of January and well under my budget so placed a little order with Sportsshoes yesterday, that discount is so good, 10% and no delivery charge.   I did not buy any more running shoes :o , although the NB1080's are still at a very good price.   Bought 3 shirts for when the gym reopens.
  • Options
    Ah that poor Big Ben guy. He couldn't get under the finish of the London Marathon either, and then someone stole his costume (although it was returned I believe).
    I ran the Big Half that year and it was alarmingly windy. The race photographer snapped me just as a gust caught me on Tower Bridge and threw me into a bit of a panic. I did not buy the photo. 

Just walking yesterday, although I did walk up a couple of hills to get some elevation for my team. Today was a three part run... a three mile warm-up on the way to the top of Streatham Common (including a big hill); a 5K around the road loop up there (each loop is about 1km and has a 6% downhill and a 7% uphill, so not flat) which I did just under 28 minutes, then a 3 mile run home mixing recovery with faster intervals.

My achilles is starting to grumble slightly but it's high up, more under the soleus. I daresay it is keen for the end of my climbing challenge but I'm going to keep an eye on it. I do not want that back again. I just need to get another couple of big hill runs done before the end of the challenge on Feb 3rd but will take it easier after that. I've also passed 200 miles for the month which is quite a big month for me, sot here's that too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - must have been a very cold day, you look warmly dressed for a race.  Looks very crowded too.

You've certainly done a lot of hills lately so not unexpected that your achilles/soleus is complaining a bit.
  • Options
    Shades - I have also saved quite a bit this month and am pretty close to wanting to buy a new pair of shoes. Really like the look of the brooks Hyperion tempo. It’s neutral and in theory it’s just for faster runs which I don’t do any of at the moment so even harder to justify! Think I’m just obsessed. 

7 miles at lunch. 17 mile long run planned tomorrow to bring up 56 miles for the week which is another record. Mild ITB rumblings the last couple of runs (not pain or discomfort, I can just ‘feel’ it’s presence if that makes sense) but I’ve been very good with strength work so feels very much under control. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Can just imagine your voice looking at that picture :-) That's really good mileage,what is the most you usually average over 3 months or so?
    Rcouture- Another good week there,how many is that for January?
    12.5 for me today,took it really easy as it involved a lot of ups and downs,as long as I can get our over the next 2 days it will be my first 100m month since September,small steps and all.
  • Options
    Ian - Nice run and good that you’re back in business. With the 17 miles tomorrow it will be 205 miles for January. And I think none of that faster than 9:35min/mi either! My mate told me the other day I must have the patience of a saint 😀. I’m sure my body would have broken down by now if it wasn’t for MAF. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you're definitely getting the running shoe habit.
    I remember reading not that long ago a shoe being launched lightweight and designed for racing and it was a mild stability shoe, sorry can't remember what shoe or even which brand it was.   Maybe someone else can suggest what brand it was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Nike.

Be careful with that ITB, but I expect you're used to it niggling now and then.

Ian - good progress.
  • Options
    Shades...it was quite cold but definitely not my best look, although some Frontrunners complimented my rainbow leggings. I generally use the arm warmers now instead of putting another top under my club vest - it looks a bit smarter. I also have some dark blue lightning tights which go with the vest a bit better. (I was using 2XUs before on colder days but there's a small hole in the crotch now). 

Ian, mileage tends to go up and down a bit - I generally hit 200s for a couple of months during marathon training but the preceding month is usually less.
    Good job on hitting 100. 

Rcouture, that's a great total. And yes, very patient!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - some of the NB ? Propel or prism ? Good prices at the mo.
  • Options
    Shades - Thanks, that sounds an ideal shoe for me. Having said that, I’ve noticed that when running fast eg in the next %, I seem to be fine in neutral shoes. I guess I must forefoot strike a bit more with better form or something. Then again I’ve never done more than 13 miles in neutral shoes. 

Cal - Those are cool leggings, as are those of the lady behind you in the first picture!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Rcouture - sorry I had a quick look but can't find or remember which shoes they are.   However, I looked at TR's suggestions and the Prism is a lightweight stability shoe

New Balance FuelCell Prism - Deals (£77), Facts, Reviews (2021) | RunRepeat

Yes, it's natural when doing faster running to lean forward more and go up on your toes, even I do it :o .   But if you're racing longer distances such as a marathon then there is usually less of a difference as not running quite so fast.   Many runners do a lot of their training in stability shoes and race in neutral shoes, Big G does that too.

Cal - Your blue tights are lovely and a great match for your club vest.   I like to race in 2XU too, mind you I can hardly remember, racing seems a dim and distant past.    I'm fortunate that my club also have a lightweight short sleeved top in club colours so I can wear that with arm warmers if necessary.

6 miles this morning.  I waited until it was light today and usually during lockdown there are quite a lot of folk out at that time even on a Saturday but today very few people out.   Maybe because the forecast was terrible but actually it was perfect when I was running.  But the path was flooded, it's tidal, and had to run through the flood on my return run but fortunately the water wasn't that cold.   Will be more flooding later as we have a warning for heavy rain, may have to change my planned route for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I didn't manage to get a ride in yesterday, as I just wasn't feeling quite right and a bit dizzy.  Feeling a bit better again today so went out for a gentle walk of around 6-miles, but I expect I'll stay off the bike again today.

Torbay Half is local to me and I see they've moved their June date back to September (it was obviously cancelled last year), and they're talking about a waved start process, self serve water stations etc.  It's quite a large race locally with a couple of thousand runners usually, so not sure whether to enter it or not.  It's the million dollar question, but will these larger races be running by then?   It starts one mile from my house, so it's very, very easy logistically.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - hope the dizziness is over now.  I suppose that's the sinuses after bashing your nose.

I hate Torbay Half, horrible race.   Will be hard to keep the social distancing as you have to run out and back on the same road twice so the faster runners will be passing the slower runners.   Perhaps they'll change the route which would be great, no need to run up and down the same road 4 times when they've got many choices for a better course.   But as local to you, yes do it. 

Up & Running are selling the NB1080's for £85, but for those with Sportsshoes discount that's not cheaper.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I like the race, and the route, but will it actually go ahead, I wonder.   
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - what's their refund policy if it doesn't go ahead?

When I had my running club, after a couple of years quite a few of the girls were keen racers and they asked me about Torbay Half, I said I'd done it a couple of times a few years before but didn't like it.   Anyway they wanted to do it so about 10 of us signed up and I can remember after the race we sat on Paignton Green and they all told me how they hated it too and we didn't run it again.   Most complaints were about the course running from Paignton to Torquay, then back to the start on the same road and then run exactly the same again.   It's a very popular race, not sure why, but we don't have many half marathons locally so there's no competition to compare it to.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve heard all the complaints Shades, but I still quite like it :)  Even if it’s not a Club Champs race it’s always very well attended by Trotters, but I know not everyone likes it although I guess the same can be said for a lot of races (I hear complaints about almost every race I put in the club champs, with people suggesting what should and shouldn't be in the competition).  

The Torbay site still says "no refunds" though, which is a shame.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    No deferments either?  However, I think by September racing might well be back to some sort of normality.

Don't they have a 10k at the same time, how is that going to work? 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    They are offering deferrals, so I think I will enter it.  I have just read a separate line which implies they may offer refunds if the event is cancelled, but I'd be fine with a deferral.  Not sure how the 10k will work as it appears both the Half and 10k are setting off at the same time, but I'm not too sure on that one.

Never done it, but Plymouth Half is the week before, although I wonder if City to Sea may happen that weekend (not heard anything about that as yet, but it's early days yet).  Exeter Great West Run are still taking entries for May (not done that one either), but I'm more sceptical about the chances for that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Big G - a deferral would be OK with me and I think that's the best race organisers can do going forward.

I've done Plymouth a few times, always enjoyed it, used to go through the grounds of Saltram House start and finish at the Hoe.  Varied course and single lap when I did it, well organised by the Devonport dockyard.  I've PB'd there a few times.

I wouldn't do Exeter again unless it was a new and better course.  Used to be 2 laps and terrible dull course.  I took a couple from my running club to Exeter they hated that race too.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OK, I've entered Torbay Half :)  Exciting!  Whether it goes ahead remains to be seen, but at least I've actually got something in the diary now.  Training for DD, then after that Torbay Half to have a go at at least.  Hopefully more races will come along but it's good to have something to look forward to.  I've held off from entering Plymouth Half in case City to Sea does go ahead that weekend, as I'd prefer to do that if possible.  But if City to Sea doesn't happen (it's a charity event and they did seem very cautious, which is understandable of course in terms of set up costs etc) and Plymouth still has spaces I'll probably jump onto that one too.

I saw 5 marathon majors are due to happen in 4 weekends through Sept/Oct.  Crazy really, and then shortly after that it'll be New York.  Whether this lot goes ahead does seems unlikely to me, but what a few weeks if they all do happen!  Fingers crossed they all go ahead, which would be absolutely brilliant based on where we are currently.
    August 7 – Women’s Olympic Marathon
    August 8 – Men’s Olympic Marathon
    September 26: Berlin Marathon
    October 3: London Marathon
    October 10: Chicago Marathon
    October 11: Boston Marathon
    October 17: Tokyo Marathon
    November 7: New York City Marathon

It was strange to see on TV an Aussie tennis tournament going ahead, with quite a large crowd and highlighted again how important the crowd are to the atmosphere at live sporting events.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Could do Chicago,then fly to do Boston the next day :smile:
    Bad day here,woke up and for the first time on a while the heel was really painful,first time in a while so pretty annoyed.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - must feel a bit strange doing a race entry.  Nice strange though.
    Maybe you could email C2S and ask what their plans are, they might have already made a decision.  Plymouth will fill if there's a hint of it going ahead, popular race.   But there should be other half marathons in Cornwall perhaps to do.

I watched the indoor athletics from Germany today, they had no audience and it was much better viewing.   Also as not filmed by the BBC didn't have to put up with the multiple replays.  Was really good event.

Ian - when London and Boston were on the same weekend quite a few runners would do both.   I don't do doubles now but it's always much more enjoyable if they're in different places.   Doubled North Dorset and Belfast a couple of times.

Bloody PF, hope it's just a final blip in the training and it settles down after this.

Been raining all day, I expect there's lots of flooding, now a chance of a frost so might be ice in the morning.   :s