Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've just had a quick look at a couple of reviews of the 1080v11, all favourable but I sense that nothing better in the v11 so far.   Apparently the toe box is a little wider but the fit of the midfoot is still snug, that was the reason I needed the wider.   I will keep an eye on the price of the V10 although I'm not sure it will drop any further.  I like the look of the V10 better than the V11 although there's not a lot of difference.   I wore my 1080's this morning, the black pair and I really love the look of them.

Ian - I felt so sorry for the organisers of Boston last year as they did everything they could, and a bit more, and still had the race pulled at the last minute.   

My 8 mile hilly route this morning, so mild, really good conditions except very windy briefly on the top of the hills.   Good to see more early morning runners out now too.
  • Options
    Not bad here either, Shades - much milder. I went out in a T-shirt with arm sleeves. I was considering not running at all today, but since I didn't run Saturday or Sunday, I thought I'd see how it went so I did a very slow 4 mile recovery run. And it wasn't bad, aside from getting wet feet from a few unavoidable puddles on the common. My soleus was sore when I mashed a roller into it before I went out but it was OK on the run - I think it's really just overcooked from all the hills. Legs feel less stiff, anyway, so you may be on to something (I normally just go for a walk the day after a long run).
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OH had an early start today as she's moving two Orangutans to Colchester zoo so needed to get in early as the animals have a routine and will apparently be very suspicious if the vets/keepers don't keep to their feeding/training schedule!  So I walked to work with her and did a total of a 11-mile walk today.  Hoping for another Zwift session later, but just an easy ride after last night's hard effort at the tri session.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - glad the recovery run seems to have worked for you today.   Your soleus sounds like when I overdo the step ups in Circuits and leaves me with sore calves to touch but no pain when running, weird but good.   I hope you've finished that hill challenge now and you can give your legs a rest from the hills.

Big G - that's another long walk!   

I have visions of the orangutans locking themselves away as if the bailiffs were expected.    🦧   Animals know when something is about to happen.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes they did,some races were going ahead then but it was just their council.
    Nice 10 today,went out along the front and got the usual headwind back,nice weather to run in though.
  • Options
    Ian - Nice 10. Re your MP runs you mentioned, were those as part of long runs?

10 miles for me too at lunch along the river. Was roasting when I went out. Tons of runners along the towpath so it was up and down with my neck buff. Some people seem to look offended when I pull it up, they should watch the news! 😀
  • Options
    It finishes tomorrow, Shades, so I may try one more hilly run if I feel OK. Won't be as long as yesterday and I will avoid anything too steep.

Big G, my friend Colin adores orangutans. He's borderline obsessed (which includes scanning every food item for palm oil).

Rcouture, I guess any hint of OK weather at this time of  year will bring everyone and their dog out.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- Very few of them were,I know that's recommended but I struggle to up the pace,I find it pretty easy to do 8-10m at MP.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - didn't long to be pain free from that PF again, good running.   Perhaps no more time trials for a while.   ;)

Rcouture - must be a bit frustrating having to run when it's so crowded.   I've noticed that if it rains that cuts the number of folk out.   Luckily as I run early in the day, I only have a few other pedestrians/dog walkers/runners out so no problem, just exchange a cheery good morning usually.  

Cal - enjoy your final hill session, don't trash the legs.  

6 miles this morning, no wind, good running conditions.
    Food shop today so my one and only weekly trip out of the house apart from my running, of course.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, a mate of mine runs a charity based in Borneo that helps (try to) maintain the orangutans habitat, as it's severely under threat :(  Well, he's based in the UK but usually makes regular trips over there, and seems to spend a lot of time fighting with various people trying to protect land.  My mate is very passionate about peat, funnily enough, as the logging/burning of the trees has disastrous consequences on the peat, by all accounts.  He is very bright and on the side, he's a part time lecturer for Nottingham Uni I think it is.

6.5 mile walk this morning, and had to be out early as I've got a plumber coming around as we've a few small jobs that have backed up, but need doing.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It is still there a little but ok to run every other day I think, think it was a combo of TT and 12 miles that flared it.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, did you know that "data doping" is a thing on Zwift and a couple of riders in a race got suspect for cheating recently.  Sounds like Zwift have a lot of resources in place to stop it though, as I think these things matter at the sharp end with the lure of pro deals etc.
    https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/02/zwift_suspends_digital_dopers/

I think it's easy to cheat in races on Zwift if someone is so inclined.  Someone simply saying they're lighter than they actually are would skew the results as their w/kg would be higher.  My figures are all accurate in the game though.  

On the other side of it, a famous pro rider got throttled in the game a few months ago as the system threw up a message saying "Either you missed your calling as a pro, or there is something wrong with one of your devices". :)  He was pushing out 550 Watts for a period of time :D 
    https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/7988/thomas-de-gendt-kicked-out-of-zwift-race-for-being-too-strong
  • Options
    That's hilarious! 

Well, the recovery run did the trick. I got myself out at 6.30am and knocked out a 12 mile run with over 400m of climb. I did what I said I do, which was heading over to the far side of Streatham Common and doing reps of Norbury Hill. Normally I go up the steeper and harder Gibson's Hill then down Norbury, but I did the reverse today. There's a short 10% bit just before you turn into Norbury but Norbury Hill itself is 6-7% for the mostpart, so it's easier on the calves. It also gave me chance to practise my downhill technique on Gibson's - first downhill was very tentative (it was barely light at that point, mind) but I got quicker with each lap.
    I still had some energy on the way home, which is net downhill, so the last couple of miles were sub-10s. Yeah, I really enjoyed that run.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's a case of trial and error with PF and finally getting rid of it.

Big G -  I'm a great fan of Thomas de Gendt, I have great admiration for a maverick.

Cal - great running.   Does that mean we might see you do a recovery run the day after a marathon  ;)  Mind you first we have to find a marathon.   :/
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Shades, he is one of my favourite riders.  When he's in a breakaway or doing a solo attack he really stirs it up.  Another favourite of mine is Tom Dumoulin, but sadly he seems to be having issues and quit the team on unpaid leave very soon after the team was announced.  I did see an interview where he was basically saying that the pressure was getting to him :( 
  • Options
    Who knows, Shades? I'm still in for Richmond but I'm guessing that, while they might have an elite only race, the likelihood is that they'll move the normal people marathon to sit alongside the half marathon in September (which is what usually happens). That being the case, I'll probably downgrade to the half if they let me, since I'll have a marathon in October.
    If we are allowed to start racing in April or May then I am looking at Milton Keynes, possibly...there's also Bolton but that one is proper hilly so I won't be able to go for a time. I guess we'll all have to wait and see how things pan out.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the pandemic must be very stressful for the top cyclists.  For many their career at the very top can be very brief.

Cal - I definitely think you should do Bolton after all the hill training you've been doing over the last few months.  
  • Options
    Cal - Great run. I was also considering MK and think Ian mentioned it’s filling up fast. Not sure why but the idea of Milton Keynes as my first marathon bothers me for some reason. Beggars can’t be choosers though. 

7 miles for me at lunch. Woke up this morning feeling this extra mileage for the first time really in terms of legs/energy despite decent sleep. Resting HR was fine though and the run itself sorted me out so all good. 
  • Options
    I think it's quite well regarded...Big G, didn't you do this one? (I know you've done those Enigma ones but I thought you did this one also, or am I wrong?)

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal/RCouture, yes, I did the official MK race and I did enjoy it.  It's a mixture of town centre roads, some village roads and paths around parks, with a stadium finish.  They sting you for parking, but I stayed over at a Premier Inn about 1-mile away and left the car there.  Robert's done it as well, as has Emmy.  I think Emmy didn't like the under/overpasses, but they didn't bother me too much.  Being honest, I can't say it's my favourite I've ever done, but I'd do it again.  It was super hot when I did it so my time was poor as I was kind of in "self preservation" mode (I had done a hot one the day before too), but that's not the fault of the organisers of course.  One thing I would say though is if it is hot, there is hardly any shade in the start area by the stadium, but again not too much to be done about that, but just something to consider on the day.  From memory it was a 10am start and on the day I remember wishing it had started earlier.  There's a half that starts at the same time and they veer off at some point, but there were still plenty of marathoners around me.

RCouture, not sure exactly where you're based but if you are looking for a decent marathon close-ish to London, I enjoyed Chelmsford a lot.  No idea what their plans are for this year (it's an Autumn race), but just thought I'd mention it.  People were complaining that it was hilly, but it really wasn't at all - I did a good time there, despite carrying an injury and I'm not great on hills.  I made the weekend of it and got a parkrun in too :) 

(Ahh, those were the days - planning marathon/parkrun weekends away!)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good running from you.
    Rcouture- I am edging towards signing up for MK,I reason there site and if it gets postponed you can defer so thats good enough for me.
    Big G-I didn't even realise it was a thing,suppose it's the usual make yourself look good on the internet crowd.My stats are true on there.Speaking if which I did another race today,22.6m took me 1hr 3 so happy with that,averaged 2.2w/kg so I'm in the right category.I'm enjoying riding on it,I definitely enjoy the racing more than just going for a ride though,I find I really struggle with that unless I'm watching something on tv.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've pencilled in Chelmsford on my race spreadsheet this year, 17th October.   :)

7 miles today, colder and felt quite chilly until the rain started and then that brought the temperature up a bit.   Went out on the main road planning to do return run on the back roads but this morning it's very dark and I had to come back on the main road.   Just one of those mornings when it feels like it's not going to get light at all.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I see Bolton is now cancelled for 2021.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I don't understand it either regarding cheating on Zwift.  What's the point!  For regular riders it's a training tool and it just helps if you have everything accurate in terms of weight/height etc as that then gives the best training and data out of the application.  Then for the top end it's all carefully monitored I think with Zwift checking files for tampering etc.  I think at the very top end the riders have to have two power meters - one on the turbo and one on the bike - and sometimes I think the riders are filmed.  It's quite serious at the very top, but for the large majority of recreational riders that make up Zwift, I can't understand why the few cheat.

Shades, I was looking at Chelmsford too.  I did enjoy it.  A few miles at the start in the centre, a lot out on country roads, and then finishing back in the park.  It was a good one and really nice scenery I thought - quite different to Devon with not many hedges along the roads meant I felt I could see for miles on parts of the course.  The course was quite exposed in places but it was good conditions when I did it, and I'd definitely do it again.

10-mile walk in the heavy rain this morning.  Not pleasant and although I was in full waterproofs and kept quite dry, I was questioning my sanity.  The main thing that is keeping me walking is that a) it won't be forever and I'll happily ditch it when I'm able to run again and b) I hope it's still good training as some of my routes do have some hills in, which I march up at a decent pace. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm sure the walking is doing your legs a lot of good.  And your head as you can get out in the fresh air.   But in miserable weather it always seems worse when walking rather than running in similar conditions.
    Hopefully you'll be able to introduce some running soon

I remember your good review of Chelmsford and at the time I made a mental note to put it on my 'to do' list.

I've done Halstead a few times so am used to the lack of hedges that we're so used to here in Devon.   Halstead is a very good race, scheduled for 9th May provisionally.   I'd like to do Halstead this year but I think it could be another casualty of the pandemic this year.
  • Options
    Well I've taken a gamble and signed up for MK. If it happens, it happens.
    Nice day today but I've taken a rest day - after running 34 miles in three days, I feel it's sensible.
  • Options
    I’ve also entered MK in the end so (maybe) see you there Cal! I’m still hopelessly thinking there’s still a chance at Richmond which I would much prefer but hey ho. 

10 miles for me at lunch. Risked it and didn’t take  my jacket so got soaked with pretty icy rain. 7 miles tomorrow and long run Saturday should be bring up 60 for the week hopefully. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - your legs deserve a rest after all the hills.   Looking for a flat route for tomorrow's run?  ;)

Rcouture - it's not looking good for a March marathon really.
    You're certainly ramping up the mileage.   You might benefit from a step back week every few weeks, if you don't already do so.

Good news you've both entered MK, I do hope it goes ahead for you.
  • Options
    Shades - Yes I’ve been doing two weeks up then one week down so next week should only be 35-40miles max, especially as it coincides with a crazy period at work. Hyperion tempos arriving tomorrow which I’m excited about
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal/Rcouture-I will probably be completing a hat trick and entering MK tomorrow.
    7 miles after work,felt really good today,still slower than usual but felt easy and enjoyable.