Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've been watching the live stream of the podium 5k I tried to enter and it looks like the ladies 5k world record has gone.14:41
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I forgot about the livestream.  I've been reading the event may not have met all the points needed for record validation (were anti-doping officials there, for example), but obviously a great run!

Shades, not sure if you know here, but Debbie B did 3:32 at Plym Trail yesterday.  Great time for her on that course.  It's her husband who is heavily involved at Torbay Tri and has organised all the time trials etc.  Kris W is going down today I think.  I did have a chat with him on Strava and he was hoping for GFA, but I had to point out that Plym Trail doesn't count for GFA....

I did a very easy ride on Zwift yesterday afternoon for 45mins and felt fine.  Went out and did 7-miles today with no problems, so that is 53 for the week, and I think basically I can carry on as normal from tomorrow (I could have ran on today but decided to stick to the planned 7).  At some point I need to get 20-ish in over the coming week as some kind of substitute for the marathon I missed....  

I see the RD that put on the 5k where I PBd last year is doing another race on the same flat course.  It's out, around a cone, and back.  It's okay, but it's a busy cycle path.  I'm tempted but I'd prefer Yeovil's course without the 180-deg turnaround, but no news on that one yet.  Tavistock AC do a fast 5k route, but no news on that one as yet either.  A couple of my running mates (faster than me) went and did the 10k at the race course on Friday and did around 42mins (same RDs as my 5k that I did).  They're both more like 39-min runners, and were saying that it's not a quick course and also there was a wind that day, so I'll definitely give that one a miss if I want a fast 10k time.

It's the Tour of Flanders bike race today, one of the "Cobbled Classics".  All the big hitters are there so it could be a good race.  Eurosport are showing the mens and ladies race, so coverage starts soon and is on all day!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yes I seen that earlier,bodes well for the Olympics for her though.
    Going to jump on the bike later as I still can't run,it feels weird,the pain presents itself in the shin,but when I massage the leg,the actual pain is in the calf muscle.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - Beth Potter is an amazing athlete, I watch the triathlons quite often and she is outstanding.

Big G - will be a shame if her time isn't ratified but unfortunately that might be her own fault.   If a runner thinks they may have a chance of a record and want it ratified they should contact the race organiser to make sure everything is in place.   I'm sure she could run that time again and make sure all procedures are in place.

I don't know Debbie B, unless I know her to see but the name means nothing to me.

Kris W runs well at Plym Trail, I saw him last Sunday when I was out running, he ran past me.  I thought he might be doing a mega long run but he said only 5 or 6  miles that day  ;)

One of our Mavericks did the 10k at the racecourse and he did a PB.   However, I don't know his race history so don't know if his previous time was soft.

I thought you might have been out on your bike today as the roads should be quieter as the supermarkets are closed today and it's good cycling weather.     Ian should be having a nice restful day but I expect he's packing  ;)

Too cold for me today to consider a long run, did a pleasant 8 miles though.   
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Ian - sorry to hear the leg is still troublesome.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Not packing today,OH has given me the day off,I have said I will sort my wardrobe out and getting rid of all old clothes,I am off next weekend so that will be the big pack,but I have seen a 10k next Saturday  😉
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you deserve a day off.   You need to sort that leg out first, but a 10k would be good.   :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Windermere entered,nice warm up 2 weeks before DD 😢 We were going to make a weekend if it but the hotel prices are ridiculous so will drive up on the day.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's very expensive in that area for a hotel.   I used to stay at the Travelodge on the M6.

Just looked at Dorney results, Robert must have deferred his entry.

Some good fast times, 155 sub 3 out of 443 finishers.

results.eventchiptiming.com/results.aspx?CId=16202&RId=8252&EId=8&dt=0&adv=1
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was watching the live coverage for about 30-mins yesterday, which was strangely mesmerising, and had a look at the results and saw Robert wasn't in there.  A real shame for Robert, but there must be some very happy runners today from that race with loads of PBs etc.

Ian, good news about Windermere!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think Robert mentioned before that he may switch his entry to another race as he had a niggle or two.    He's not in the DNF's so that must be what he's done.

Ian - is your OH going to do Windermere as her first marathon?    
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No,she is planning on MK being her first,I think it would be a tough one to do first.
    I seen the Dorney results,really impressed with DT off the 3:15 thread,we were very similar a year or so ago and with the effort he has put in he hit 2:51,gives food for thought as I met him at Telford 10k and we were similar age,build etc so shows what can be done.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just seen that the shoes Beth wore yesterday were the new Asics super shoes,wonder if these will be a genuine rival for the Nike?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think Windermere is perfect for a first marathon.   Beautiful scenic course, friendly race and the finish makes for a great photo.   It's not that hilly and she would be guaranteed a PB.

Whereas 2 laps around MK....

I saw in the AW write up of the 5k that they mentioned what shoes Beth was wearing
  • Options
    Plym is no GFA cos distance measuring i assume or is there some stupid rules about organisation side of things as elevation isn't a issue as start and finish is same spot. Or our out and backs a no no?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, laps are allowed (hence Dorney counts for GFA) so I presume out and backs are allowed....

From the London site, this is what it says about events:
    In-person race courses must be certified by UKA, the Association for International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS), or a national governing body for distance running for the country in which the race is held”. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - Plym Trail is not recognised as a road race and therefore no certificate of measurement.   I think it's considered as trail.
    As it's nearly all tarmac he could get it officially measured if he wanted.   But to be eligible for GFA he'd also have to license it under RunBritain.

I don't think many runners would think they would run that course for a PB or GFA anyway.
  • Options
    I was trying to remember how much isn't tarmac. Jut a bit at the bottom right??
    Anyways Plym is too short for me cos i'm currently reading The rise of the ultra runners by Mr Finn. He's a local to Devon right? Almost got around to entering a Ultra the other day when doing some more race entries. Now got Windermere and Solway marathongs entered. The half in 3 weeks and one that was meant to be a Ultra (and other shorter ones iirc) up the coast here which is now a 10k week 1 half week 2 and fu week 3 virtual one where you dont have to do them in one go. Week 3 i think should be Windermere week so i will do them as single runs.
    They say they'll send route instructions so we can redo it in our own time which I am seriously considering when i know where it goes. I really only need to know how close to a station it is down south as it heads back towards me and then whether the trains run early enough. Pretty damn sure they do albeit i may have to go for midweek one as Selllafield uses trains. Minor drawback is those ones could be packed until they get to Sellafield.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, yes he’s based around here. He signed a copy of his ultra book for me at a local signing the other year and he was at the club session I did last week (wearing a Comrades shirt). 
  • Options
    Thats the chapter i am up to currently. Having cramped my upper calf overnight i suspect i'll finish it today as it hurts to walk let alone do anything else.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - yes, I think you're right that it's just the bit at the bottom of the course that isn't tarmac.   Some of that might be tarmac covered with leaf debris etc so might be more tarmac than we think.   Isn't it 10% trail that is acceptable to still make it a road marathon?

Solway looks good, I'd love to do that one.   What puts me off is the drive up the M6 just after the schools have broken up, this year it will be even worse with less overseas holidays.

Great to hear you're looking at ultras again too.   You could put your name on the transfer list for DD,  ;) the list is moving quickly, quite a few withdrawals.

9 miles for me this morning, my favourite rural 8 mile route and by changing the route home added on another mile and another 100ft of climb.  :)  Not frosty here today, but cold north wind.
  • Options
    pfft DD can wait ;) If i am overnight staying its London for a actual holiday first of all. That's not happenin until we get out of all lockdown measures or at least it's mostly open as there is less point going there if not everything is properly open.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good to read you're getting stuff booked up Keith.  I'm also looking forward to a few days in London, but it won't be for quite a few weeks yet I don't think, for the same reasons as you.

Shades, good to see you're seeking out that extra elevation ;) 

7-miles for me this morning.  Intended to be all at MAF as usual, but my 4th mile (flat) I did in 8:02, which is my quickest ever mile at MAF.  After that I just decided to push the pace for a couple of miles with 5th one being 7:41 (uphill) and 6th mile 7:05 (back down hill), before doing a mile recovery home.  Really enjoyed it :)  I did 90-mins on the bike yesterday and will probably jump on a bit later today for an easy ride.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - never mind, next year perhaps.   Just thought it was worth a mention while you were in ultra mode.   ;)

Big G - that's a great run from you today, speedy progress.

Incidentally are you doing your long runs in your 1080's now and do you intend to race in them for your next marathon?

I didn't deliberately seek out extra elevation today, was only aiming for the extra distance, but you know what it's like round here.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have to say, I do feel in pretty decent shape.  Nagging doubt of not enough long runs, but apart from that I'm feeling pretty good.  I am wondering whether to try and do say 13-miles at 8-min/miles before Shepperdine or Worcester just to see what it feels like.  What do you think?  I know a marathon is a different beast entirely but if that does feel okay, I may try for around 8s at one of those.  Problem with no races is that I've nothing to base MP on, but we're all in that situation.

Regarding my 1080s and what to wear for a marathon, I haven't made my mind up yet.  On yesterday's 7-miler I went out in my Asics Roadhawks that I usually wear for marathons and they felt really light, which I like for races, but not as well cushioned as the 1080s.  I enjoyed running in them again though and I think for Plym Trail-type events I'd still wear them for marathons.  I also think I'll wear the Asics for the duathlon I've got coming up.  I think for a "fast" race attempt at any distance I'd probably wear the Nikes, but I do need to practice in those as I've not done more than 10k at a decent pace in them (I think it's a lacing issue, but I do get a slight hotspot on the side of one foot, which I'd want to overcome before doing a marathon in them).  For DD though, I may wear the 1080s just because they're so well cushioned - I did 20-miles the other day in the wider version and had no problems whatsoever.  I also wore them today and they were fine at those faster paces too, so they really are a great all-rounder.  The first pair I've got will get to over 500 miles this week, which I'm happy with too.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Who was after the Endorphin speeds ? Rcoutre? Saucony have them in new colours, mine are still in the box.

Big G - in the absence of build up races, i did the same 13.1m within 20m, 3 times last summer as pretty much as hard as i could go on the day for the 13.1. I did it again saturday,. Im equating it to coming out as approx mp, as its slightly lumpy in the first and last couple of miles and i don't think i could run any further at that pace on the day. You could do similar as a fitness test, but dont leave it too much closer to race day.....having said all that, you have to have done the miles too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I haven't done any long runs really, one 16 that's it.  Next Sunday looks cold again so not that likely I'll run long, then on Monday the gym opens and I'll no doubt have DOMS for the following 10 days or so, then it will be marathon time.   My focus is to get my gym fitness back and start improving my running pace on 50-60 mpw.   I will be fitter that way than if I just do long runs which won't improve my base pace.

You've run well before when you've been a bit light on long runs but I can understand you wanting to squeeze a couple more in.
    Re your 8m/m run, entirely up to you, if you're feeling good then do it, would be a good test too if you're going to use different shoes for your marathon or DD.

I think the 1080's would be great for DD with the cushioning, you usually race in neutral shoes anyway.

I think I will race in my Adrenaline's as I need a little support especially in the latter stages.   I've been wearing my white Adrenalines for my longer runs and never felt like I loved them, but yesterday I finally got round to replacing the laces with elastic ones and it was like running in a different shoe and they felt amazing as they should.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Xpost TR - yes it was Rcouture that was looking at the Endorphins, I think he has a pair sorted as a present now.

Are you racing a marathon later this month?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - yes, i sacked off Dorney as my jab flared up the CV symptoms for a while (i had it about 10 days before Dorney) and my long run last weekend was defo underpowered.......so, im back at Goodwood on 25th April, i have a score to settle though, so its not a bad thing.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR- hope you're over the post jab symptoms now.

You need a calm day at Goodwood for you this time.   These circuits/race tracks are great for racing in Covid times but they are so often windy.