Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - What are the chasers sessions like? You show up, there’s a roll call and then you just head off in different pace groups? I see from the website that since Covid you have to book into sessions but presumably that wasn’t the case when you went. Are there coaches or just informal?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - do you have to wait to join, or do they prefer that you go along as arranged for a trial?    Some people find that a certain club doesn't suit them but I would think that with such a large club as the Chasers you would easily find a suitable group within the club that suits you.  I expect £40 for a London club is reasonable as an annual membership fee, does that include your EA licence, if you want one that is?

Re the feeling sick, do you have anything before you go out?   I have water and milky coffee.  You could try eating say half a banana and see if that settles the stomach.

Yes, not so great in the winter in the dark.    Good that you'll be able to a run commute when you are back in the office, doubles too   :)  

Big G - yes, now we'd just rock up and not worry too much what the club was like, if it didn't suit then find another or train alone.

I trained with the Trotters for a couple of years but then preferred to train alone as you know that the Trotters training wasn't that great in the past.    I still prefer to train alone but have always been a club member of one or two clubs at a time, Trotters, RRC, Seaford Striders, WRN, 100MC and now Mavericks.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I just Googled HHH for a pic of their kit and it's definitely Dennis the Menace, wasn't the same club as my friend was considering, she lives in Lancs.   My current club kit is red and black too which I like.

Do you ever go training with the Chasers, or prefer mornings on your own?

You're making a great recovery.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - It’s £39 with EA affiliation, or £23 without it. I assume it makes sense to include it since you seem to get discounts for races right? I think they are happy for people to join right away. I don’t mind waiting till the 8th of July though as I am not doing any tempo or speed sessions yet anyway. I have my 5k on the 24th and I will probably do a 5x1k the week before to just get used to the pace but that’s it. Re early runs I’ve just been having water but might try a piece of dried fruit before heading out as that’s what I tend to do for long runs as a top up. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - well that's good value especially for a London club.   Some runners never race so therefore don't need the licence.   So with a licence you'd be affiliated and able to enter as such in EA and ARC races, there are rules about having to wear club vests etc in races but I expect that will be the club rules.   But it's nice to wear a club vest in an event.

Maybe a hot drink before going out and just a very light snack, dried fruit will be fine as that's what you're used to.   I think water alone on an empty stomach isn't good.   It's a case of trial and error what works for you.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Chasers aren't too strict about kit unless it's cross country or league races and relays and stuff like that. I like to wear mine though.
    I know the club you mean, too - I've seen them at the northern events I've done.
    I haven't done any evening sessions with Chasers but I've done some long runs with the Sunday marathon club. Not sure when that will be starting up again - probably winter. They usually start at 9am and I prefer early doors in summer to avoid the heat.

Which 5K are you doing, Rcouture?

Just been to the gym (just a bit of benching) and found I was quite tired after my run so I only did half an hour. That and the guy who breathes like a steam train will doing callisthenics was in there and I don't like sharing the room with him. He's old enough to have had both his jabs but still, not a fan of inhaling someone's aerosols.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Runthrough Battersea park. I am also doing Harry Hawkes half in July. Is that the half you are doing too?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I like wearing my club vest at most races I do,can often start a conversation,handy if you are on your own.I even got a few shouts of Wirral at DD.
    Shades-Yes I think the driving has been a hindrance,3 hours after the race then 5 the next day,should be OK to run tomorrow,then taper for mk  :smile:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, travelling/driving after a race is a really bad part of marathoning :(  That is one of the (few!) good things about the MK lake events - the hotel is right there so after an event I'm in the shower within 5mins and having food in the bar within the hour :)  One of the ladies on that DD pic I posted did a (flat) 16 miler today!

I went to Trotters this evening for an undulating 10x2-min session.  I didn't run the efforts all out by any means (I didn't even hit the lap button on my watch as I wasn't that bothered, so I think probably the splits were all over the place) but it was nice to turn the legs over.  Just under 5-mins including the warmup/cool down so not far, but enjoyable.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sometimes doing a long run in company is preferable to doing it alone, especially in the winter when conditions can be grim.

Ian - if you'd only had the 3 hour drive on race day you probably wouldn't have been so sore, but another 5 hours the following day was enough to seize up the muscles.
    Big_G said:
    Ian, travelling/driving after a race is a really bad part of marathoning :(  That is one of the (few!) good things about the MK lake events - the hotel is right there so after an event I'm in the shower within 5mins and having food in the bar within the hour :)  

The only problem with that is that you're still in MK  :#;)

Impressive running going to a speed session, even though you were holding back on the reps.

I quite like driving home after a race, I wouldn't normally choose to drive home the next day as for a Sunday race the traffic on a Monday on the motorways can be horrendous so quicker to drive home on race day.   Plus when I was working I wouldn't normally waste a day's holiday just for a drive home.
     But anything over 3 hours can start to become a bit of a chore, such as the drive from Windermere.  I might do Windermere next year and I'll try and get a cheap Travelodge halfway home to break the journey up.

My golden rules for driving home post marathon, is take time to eat/drink after race, don't get in the car straight away.   Stop at the services even if you don't want to, good to get the kidneys working properly again, important part of recovery.  At the services park in the furthest corner of the car park, so long walk to the building and back, really helps the legs.   And caffeine of course.

First run of the year in a vest today.  Yesterday a cool 9 degrees when I went out for my run, today a sticky and humid 16, humidity in high 90's but had a really good run, 7 miles.    Stopped on the way home to chat to a neighbour who has a gorgeous St Bernard called Watson.

Gym later.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Nice run Shades. Rest day for me today as planned even though feel basically fully recovered from race and RHR back to normal. Last night I did plan and purchase my next shoe rotation. I already have another pair of endorphin speeds to eventually replace my current ones which have 150miles on them and my Hyperion tempos are about 150 too and I use them less so those two are fine and I love both. The Mach 4 and 1080 v 11 I have decided to move on though. The Mach 4 were such a disappointment in the end as the midsole died ages ago after about 100 miles.  Fantastic before that and even got another pair which I’ve now returned. Shows how the universally good reviews eg on YouTube can be misleading as from what I can gather on the internet most people have the same feedback. The 1080s have been good but I am just bored of them after 350 miles. I have ordered the Nike invincibles and the NB Rebel v2s, both of which I’ve had personal recommendations on inc Ian on here for the Nikes. The rebels are only 6m drop too so would still mean a variety in drops for my two daily trainers. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you're in danger of having a shoe habit like mine  :o   I have 31 pairs now listed on my spreadsheet, but in fairness 4 are new and unused, 3 have over 500 miles and another 5 pairs have over 400 miles.

I didn't know that about the Mach 4.   Just shows it's often worth waiting a while before buying a new model as we need our shoes to last.

Have you tried putting in your current favourite shoes on Runrepeat and it lists similar types of shoes at the foot of the page.  Just in case you need a few more suggestions  ;)
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Yes I’ve looked at runrepeat before it’s a good site. Think I’m all set unless either of these new ones is a disaster and needs returning. I also have in the back of my mind that my vaporflys will be at around 100 miles after my half next month and that’s when people suggest it needs replacing which is >200 quid. Those shoes really are a joke in terms of value/mile but then again they seem just so far ahead of other shoes for faster running. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - ouch at the replacing of the Vaporflys.   I wouldn't be sucked into that marketing hype.  Remember a lot of that opinion of changing them will come from the reviewers that get free shoes to review.  Nike don't want their shoes to last or be good value for money, that's not their target market.
    It is a joke really as most runners that buy them would benefit more from better training/race strategy/nutrition than a specific shoe.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Yes it’s ridiculous. They served me well at the marathon even as a placebo but I may have to rethink them if it’s actually just up to 100miles. I may just stick to the endorphin speeds for racing. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I guess you'll need to wait and see if you notice that the shoe is no longer performing as it should when you get to 100+ miles.   Some runners wear out shoes more quickly than other runners so you might get a good few more miles out of them yet.

I'm still uncertain about the new colourway of the Pro's

• Options
    Ian congrats on the DD PB, seems lessons learnt and as you say get some decent training in and can take another chunk off!

Rcouture defo got a new shoe bug, always good to have different shoes as they are all on offers at different times.  I've been running for almost 12 years, I only joined WJ 3 years ago (I've been injured for most of that though) but I really enjoyed the speed sessions, the fact you can go to races and know other people and have an identity.  I still choose to do most my running solo but its nice to have the option.

Shades WJ have a pretty crap website, in normal times its a reasonable club but the past year it's been non existent. 

Big G you seemed to recovery well from DD.

Cal looks like you're making steady progress, also I'm intrigued by the different flavour ice creams, don't think Aldi have got much variety.

6 miles off road yesterday, was warm and humid but took it easy.  Will try and get out for a couple of short runs before Sunday.  Sunday is a 6 hour 3.3 mile loops, trail seems a bit of shade in the recce photos but alot of open areas soo.  Not too much elevation about 200ft on each lap so enough to break it up.  Think I'm going to find 8 laps a mental struggle but will get to half marathon and see how I go.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I think there is research and some studies (not Nike funded, I hasten to add), which shows they are quicker, but they are not necessarily quicker for everyone as not everyone responds to them in the same way.  But you only have to look at the elite times to see the impact, and the same is happening on the track as in the last few days the women's 10000m record went, after being obliterated just 2 days earlier, by women wearing the new Nike superspikes.  
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/08/letesenbet-gidey-breaks-two-day-old-10000m-world-record-in-super-spikes

Gidey apparently did a 14:42/14:18 split for the WR and that 14:18 is incredibly fast itself, for a standalone 5k.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've just checked Paula Radcliffe's 5000m time for example, which I believe is still a British record, and it's 14:29.  So a 14:18 second 5000 as part of a 10000 is incredible.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - hope it's not too hot for you on Sunday, at least a little shade will be welcome.   

My next marathon/ultra is also 8 laps, and they're out and backs so mentally hard, can't see me lasting more than the 8 laps for the marathon distance although I'd like to think I might carry on, it's a 7 hour challenge event.

Big G - yes re the shoe study, but the elite don't pay for their shoes and it's the non elite that are buying the shoes hoping it will do for them what it does for the elite.   Nike sponsor a huge % of the elite athletes so any record is more likely to be done in a Nike shoe.

Whereas, better training/racing/nutrition etc would most likely benefit the majority of the non elite runners more.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, definitely Shades.  I think better training, being a decent weight, eating better, doing all the other things we should be doing has much more impact for non-elites.  100%.  If you don't do those things, donning a pair of shoes wouldn't make any difference.  But I can see why non-elites wear them, especially if someone is hoping for a GFA or Champs place for example, as if they don't they're at a disadvantage with the rest of the field also trying for those times.  I still haven't worn mine at a marathon yet, but I do want to.

I did see a small number of people wearing them at DD actually.  I just thought walking up hill in them wouldn't be much fun, and also running downhill not much fun either.  It didn't even cross my mind to wear mine at DD.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - of course, we're all human and looking for that little extra something that will make a good race into a really special race so promises like that will always sell a product.

Massive mistake though for a runner to think they'll give him/her an advantage over their peers when racing  if they lack training/nutrition/weight management etc etc.   I expect that's why some wore them at DD, because they thought they would make a difference because they know they haven't done the training.   If they only last for 100 miles then that was 32 of the miles wasted wearing them at DD  ;)

I expect you'll wear yours in a marathon when you know you're in PB shape, good flat course in good conditions, mentally you will feel that they will give you an edge on that day.
  • Options
    Even runners who don't believe the hype about the Nike Shoes don't want to risk missing out.  Its marginal gains and most runners can improve their training and diet before the need to turn to these shoes.  I think if I ever got into PB shape and did everything I could and was having one last fast race then I'd dive in and get a pair.  Very little chance of that happening.

Did anyone see Challenge running back yard event (Last man standing) started 12noon on saturday around 100 runners set off doing 4.17 laps on the hour every hour.  After 37 hours/ 154 miles only two remained running 80 (winner 81) laps 337 miles!!! over 3 and a half days.
    Timing Monkey :: Suffolk Back Yard Ultra
    Suffolk Backyard Ultra: Runner completes 337 miles in 81 hours straight - BBC News
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Shades, I do like the shoes, but on the hills of Dartmoor I can't see how they'd be any help to me.  They would be more of a hinderance I think, as they seem to force me forward, which is great on the flat but on the steep downhills at DD, I think they would be uncomfortable.  And walking in them isn't that easy because again they force you forward, and of course there's a fair bit of walking at DD.   They're also not that stable in comparison to other shoes, and I think I prefer a firmer/more stable footing.

Robert, yes, I saw that about the Suffolk Backyard Ultra.  Crazy.  The winner gets an entry into Big's Backyard Ultra I think, don't they?
  • Options
    Big G  think Lindley/ Challenge running also front up part of the airfare too.  I think I'd want to lie down and never run again after that!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, yes, I just had a quick Google and the winner of the Suffolk one got the entrance to Big's paid for, and £250 towards the airfare for the race.  Pretty good.....but as you say, I wonder if they'll ever want to run another step in their whole life!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I am a massive fan of the Nike's for races,in fact I have wore them for ervey race in the last 3 or 4 years,apart from DD and parkrun.I would say they last longer than 100,I have 3 pairs currently on about 150 and I use them for sessions now,but I can still feel the zip in them.
    They are definitely faster,and yes I agree I could be faster with nutrition,training etc but for me it is an add on on race day,no different from gels etc,just a tool in my kit,Ultimately unless you run I'm barefoot all shoes are an aid,these are just a better aid.
    One thing I would add is its easy to not pay full price,we have 5 in our family who have the nike app,so 5 months a year we get 25% off and it is valid on them,so if I feel I am due a pair soon then I get them,I have 1 pair with 20m on and 1 unboxed for future use.
    While they are dear,I don't really care,we spent years scrimping to get the kids through uni so they were set up,we barely drink,don't smoke,our only extravagances are holidays and running so if these make me run faster and enjoy racing more then it's well worth it.
    First post DD run today,6.5 loop,felt very slow so still some soreness in there,hoping it's better by the weekend.
  • Options
    Hi folks, just thought I'd say hi as haven't posted in this thread for ages.
    Some fantastic running all.

After my first marathon on 11th April, I took a full week off, them trained for a few weeks for a 10 mile race.  The race went OK, I got a PB by a second.

I next managed a half marathon PB, getting it down from 1:57 to 1:50, not fast compared to many here!, but a decent improvement, and one I'm certain came about from my long weekly marathon training runs through the winter.

Last weekend I managed a 17.73 miler, my longest since my marathon.  When I did my marathon I wasn't sure if I'd fancy doing it again!  But am now thinking maybe a summer one?  I think, for me it was such a journey building up to marathon distance, I don't want to drop back too far, to the point of it seeming impossible again!

I could never imagine being a multi-marathon type person, but how many do you folks aim at a year?  Most literature suggests 2 a year, but I know some do way, way more.  What sort of mileage/long sunday runs do you do when not training specifically, just ticking over?

I have been struggling with very bad back pain, but strangely running doesn't seem to affect it too much,  hoping I can get it sorted.

Thanks.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - amazing achievements by the winner and the 2nd placed guy in that Backyard Ultra.    I didn't follow it closely but just checked in now and then.   I just can't imagine the tiredness, and then if you win you get to do it again  :tired_face:

Ian - what shoes did you wear for DD?   

You're right re cost of shoes, we all choose what to spend our money on.   I expect some folk, mostly non runners, would be horrified at the % of my spending on running kit/shoes/races and related travel costs but then I don't spend money on other stuff that other folk do.

You should soon get rid of any remaining soreness now you're back running, I bet it feels good to be DOM/pain free again.

Welcome back LTT - doesn't matter if your PB was only a second at the 10 mile race, a PB is a PB, well done.   That's a huge PB for your half marathon, that's the marathon training that's done that for you.

Sorry to hear your back is troubling you, good that running doesn't bother it but would be good to get it sorted, have you tried Pilates?

Re number of marathons a year, it really is a matter of personal choice.   Traditionally runners used to focus on one or two a year but you can run as many as you feel comfortable with and that you want to do.   Pre pandemic some run one every week, they never need to do any long runs in training.

If I can find the right events, I only do road, and budget permitting, I like to do about 15-20 a year and that's in about 8 months as I don't like to race in the winter.

Training depends on how long in between events, but you can tick over with a reasonable weekly mileage and a long run (18 - 20ish) every 3 to 4 weeks.

Rest day for me today.