Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Similar to Big G,I raced a 20 4 weeks before Berlin,did it at MP and increased it for the last 2 miles,being so in control and being able to speed up have me a massive confidence boost.
    Nice 3 hour walk yesterday afternoon,but a lot of food consumed throughout the day,I'd lost 2lbs this week so may not lose any this week coming now,only 4lb to go now though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - oh that's awful about your cat.

Re your 20 mile race as you have no plans for it then I would suggest that you use it to fine tune any of your marathon preparation.   I wouldn't taper but just an easy week mileage wise coming into the race.   Then by seeing how you feel on race day (20 miler) this may help you fine tune your marathon taper.   Good chance to try out any new fuelling strategies too, before and during.   Re pace I would decide on the start line see how you feel at the time but marathon pace would be a good idea.

Personally if I was injury free I would race it.

Ian - hope your daughter is not trying to sabotage your weight loss plan with all that food as you beat her at the parkrun  ;)

Had to abandon my long run, had porridge, took a drink with me all ready to run further today but at 4 miles my knee started to trouble me and I just couldn't see the point of trying to run long on it.   Managed a shorter return route so just over 7 miles today.   Disappointing but knee is nothing like as sore as a week ago just a discomfort now.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that again, Shades.  I also felt that I shouldn't really run today, but jumped on the bike for 2hrs.

Ian, you're doing great with the weight loss overall though.

The new shoes came yesterday and they seem very light.  It nearly prompted me to get the scales out, but after a quick try of them, they're back in the box for now.  There is a 5K this Thursday with the Tri club again that a few weeks ago I was targeting and I would have worn the new shoes, but I am now so sure now.  I will see how the foot is Mon/Tues but if no good I will tell the organiser I can't run it, and will enter a Zwift race for that morning instead.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's great discipline putting the shoes back in the box.   But not worth the risk to that foot injury if it's too soon for their debut 5km.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Big G/Shades/Ian - Guess I’ll be racing it then 😀. I’ll see how I feel on the day. Since this injury I’m trying to stop planning my running too far in advance. 

Big G - Do they have a plate?

Shades - Hopefully the knee clears up soon

Decided a 20 miler wasn’t a good idea on reflection given this is meant to be a down week and I’m a bit far out from my race to be stacking them on consecutive weekends. Did a gentle 16 along the river largely at MAF and was nice run. 42miles this week. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, they don’t have a carbon plate. Just the super-foam, and what they call a pebax shank. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - which 20 mile race have you entered?

Cold and a heavy frost this morning, very thick ice on the cars after yesterday's rain, but roads were ice free.   Now it's lighter earlier and I'm fed up of the flatter street lit routes so headed straight out on the country roads, very hilly 622ft for 6 miles.   But I was rewarded with seeing a tawny owl and I got fairly close, about 15ft and I stopped my watch and we stared at each other for a good 30 seconds before he flew silently away.  Never managed to get that close before.   Knee only sore on the steeper downhills and for the last mile which is flattish.

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Nice run and stare-off. It’s Kingston spring raceday. There’s an 8, 16 and 20 miler. 

Rest day today
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Rcouture - I've heard of the Kingston race, flat I think.

Not often you post a rest day  ;)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I really want to do that race, Rcouture, but it's always the week before Manchester (or Vienna which I did instead in 2019) so it's never been the right timing for me. I need to do a later Spring race I guess...but there's no way in hell I'll do Brighton.

Big G, they sound like my sort of shoes. Not that I'm fast, but after years of wearing Nike Frees, I love a light shoe and find anything much over 220g feel like bricks.

Shades, sorry about the knee...but lovely compensation seeing an owl. It's been years since I've seen one (in the wild). Of course, I am in London, so there's that.

I had intended to do a run yesterday but didn't feel right. I felt ridiculously tired on Saturday evening and ended up crawling into bed at 8:30 and was asleep 15 minutes later. Still felt tired when I woke at 5 so ended up sleeping another 45 minutes and still didn't feel remotely like hauling myself out for a run. So I took that as a sign that I should rest.
    It seems to have worked because I felt good this morning and went out and banged out 14 miles, most of them under 11 pace (I was particularly pleased to manage 10:49 for a mile that featured a half-mile long hill with 59m of climb). I did start to feel a bit fatigued around 11 miles, but it was a dry run (ie fasted and I didn't take water or gels) so I'm not too surprised about that.
    It's a bit of a balancing act trying to do enough to partly make up for lost time without overdoing it (and without knackering myself ahead of next Sunday's half). Given I've had two weeks off with the cold and some lighter weeks when I was racing, I don't think I really need to taper much as my legs aren't exactly full of miles.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a great run from you today.   Don't try and make up for lost training time, can't be done and you'll only end up tired again.   But I think you're right to shorten the taper just enough get to line fresh.

I did ask you this on an earlier post, but you must have missed it, was after you said your HR was high at parkrun.

When you use the chest strap HRM do you have to disable the optical HRM or does it automatically override the optical?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It overrides it. When I stop running I have no HR for a while until the wrist picks it back up again. I think it's just high as I've had a cold and have been sedentary for two weeks. Hopefully it'll level out again.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    As expected, I didn't get a ballot place in London for 2022, but I am have Chester lined up anyway.  Not that I was considering it, but I got an email from Sports Tours about their NYC packages, but they are not available for general sale this year.  It is because of knock on effects of cancellations and a reduced number being available to international tour operators (under 11000, down from 18000).

75-mins on the bike today, and seeing a friend for lunch a bit later, and then it's Trotters committee tonight.  AGM was last month so there are a couple of changes I think in the committee for this year.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - thanks, I just wondered as my optical is always off and didn't know how it works.   It would be a right faff if you had to turn it off and on all the time.

Big G - bad luck on London ballot.   Will your GFA time at Seville be valid for 2023 GFA entry?

I looked at Sports Tours NYC trip and it looks great, pity they're not able to do it this year.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I got a rejection too, Big G...so I may well do Chester with you (just an hour behind). It's a nice race...enjoyed it last time. Good swag, too.
    I'm hoping I can get into decent shape by then...it'll be my first marathon as a V55 so I will have a slightly less stringent GFA to aim for.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the qualifying period for 2023 began on 4 October 2021 and will end on 7 August 2022, so yes, my Seville time should count for 2023’s race, all being well. I didn’t say it on here, but in the unlikely event I had got a place in the London ballot, since getting GFA I had pretty much decided I wasn’t going to take it. This is my 3rd entry into Chester and I still haven’t done the race before, so I was 99% sure I wasn’t going to take any ballot place for 2022. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    No London for me or OH as expected.
    Cal-As Big G says Chester won't count got GFA until 2024's race just incase you decided to try one before August.
    Had a good weekend,visited Lymington yesterday and the little village nearby where they are getting married next year,looks a lovely place like the little Devon villages.
    Cal-Well done on that run,hopefully puts you in a better frame of mind.
    Off for a run soon so hoping for a good week this week before Cyprus.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - definitely time you ran Chester then, excellent marathon.

Good your GFA time is OK for 2023, that's safely bagged.😊

Bad luck to all ballot rejections, don't think they had many places up for grabs anyway.

Ian - I've been to Lymington, lovely area round there.  

They had bad weather for the Cyprus marathon last weekend, AH (Tango) was 2nd, he won it a couple of years ago in a pair of shoes that cost him about 30 quid.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I seen the weather,so glad we could only get the time off for this one,hopefully it is better.I was keeping an eye on it to check it went ahead with covid etc but didn't expect the weather to be that bad.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Needed a race to test where I was at, as have only done an ultra since first lockdown in 2020!! Went back to the same race I got my 10k PB in March 2020, Draycote Water where I ran 38:11. Decided to do a mini taper going into the race, so only 45 miles for the week were planned.
    Wasn't really sure what shape I was in, but figured I'd try for a PB. Felt a bit windy during my 2 mile warm up and still felt windy while waiting for the start. You run about 1k in one direction, then do a hairpin turn and run back through the finish line to then complete a full lap. Went out a bit too quick, but it felt comfortable (5:52), noticed I was around top 10 at this point, running with about 5 others, peeled away from them over the next few miles in 6:06 and 6:02, next group was then further ahead and getting further away. Was running in 4th but overtaking runners who were doing the half marathon which started further around the course. Felt like it was getting tough and mile 4 was done in 6:17. One of the other guys caught me and we ran together for a while until he passed me and mile 5 was done in 6:16. Continued to push and still had the guy in my sights who had passed me, but couldn't seem to catch him, especially running into the wind at this point, wasn't sure at this point if a PB was on or not, but kept pushing to a 6:06 mile, then realised that it was on and pushed on again for the final 0.2m at 5:45 pace. Finished 5th out of 220 (I think) in 37:47 chip time, a 24 second PB and my first time sub 38!! Couple of miles to cool down for a 10 mile day.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done, Steve.  That is a great confidence-boosting run!  Are you finalising a target time for your marathon?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Great racing,really well done on an impressive time.
    7 after work today,ticking over again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it was freak weather, surely not 2 weekends in a row  ;)

Steve - great race report and superb PB.   I've raced at Draycote, lovely course, but it is subject to that nasty headwind in places.

So does your PB reflect your choice of marathon, will it be Manchester or Shakespeare?   I'll be putting the April list up next week.

8 miles this morning, flat route.   Some naughty person (not me)  o:)  had moved the fencing with the dire notices about trespass and health and safety and I snuck through and ran over the new bridge part of the cycle path  :o   But I'd rather be sued for trespass than take my life in my hands running over the hump backed bridge with some of the idiot drivers around.   Stopped on my way back to see if my kingfisher was around, he wasn't, but there was a cormorant fishing there . 

My knee was fine today.  I can feel it but only a 1/10 today, will do a hilly run later in the week to test if I can run downhill pain free, if not I will have to DNS my half marathon on Sunday as it has some tough hills, course goes up onto Dartmoor. 

Have cancelled Pilates and staying away from the gym too.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I am really sure I could have ran today and yesterday but I also thought that Thurs/Fri/Sat last week so I am trying to be sensible to give it some more time, so I just did 75mns on Zwift this morning.  I am not entirely sure what to do as I feel I want to 'test it' before Sunday's 20 miler.  Maybe I will go out for a run on Thursday and if okay, do parkrun on Satuday, and then do the race on Sunday, but only if all okay.  The race number turned up today and there is drink station every 5 miles, which isn't really enough for me if I am racing, so I may have to take a bottle :( 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm in the same mind about 'testing' my knee.   After just posting it was fine during my run this morning it's niggling now as I'm walking around my flat  :#

If your test run goes OK, you might be better not running on the Saturday as your foot as niggled after parkrun before.   It's just so hard to know what to do for the best.

You should really be OK drink wise every 5 miles, you're only going to be running for 2 hours ish.   If you didn't take a personal drink last time then you won't need one this time.   I suppose as it's technically not on the road he's not abiding to the drinks every 3 miles rule.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Actually, that is a good point about parkrun/Saturday.  I may stick my name down to marshal or something else on the Saturday instead.  Maybe I will try Weds/Fri/Sun, but I will just see how it is tomorrow, although currently it seems fine.  I find this amongst the hardest part of running - I have come back too soon on a lot of occasions but even when I feel I am being fairly sensible, sometimes in hindsight it was still too early.  But on the other hand, other times a gentle run out can actually help ease any small niggles I may have, so it is a dilemma!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - l know, it's definitely the hardest decision to make as sometimes we'll be right and sometimes we'll be wrong.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Will be doing Shakespeare.
    Big G - Marathon target, probably sub 3:05, I'll set off at 7 min/mile pace.

15 miles this morning. Leg's felt fine, guess that's a benefit of using the super shoes!
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Shades - Good news (kind of) on the knee

Big G - Was the plan to go out at marathon pace for your 20 miler or you had a specific time in mind? 

6 miles this afternoon. Didn’t look at the weather and overdressed so sweated buckets. Went to physio afterwards who has effectively discharged me which is nice. I’ve got my exercise routine and the knee is under control so pointless going over there for a glorified massage when I’m so short of time. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-I meant to add,at the end of a 45m week shows there's more to come off that time with a proper build up.
    Rcouture-I had the same issue tonight,7 miles and drenched in sweat,help the weight loss if nothing else.