Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    PT 2.
    So after queuing for the toilet,getting some water it meant I only had 30 mins left,it's about 0.7 mile to the start so a nice slow walk and into the well organised corrals.
    Started exactly on time,my target was around 3:15(7.20 pace)based on my half,I knew the first 10k was significantly downhill so decided to run this to feel and aimed for 1:35 halfway to give me a 1:40 back.I read a stat that 81% have a positive split of 5 mins or more so it fitted.
    Mile 1 was very downhill,I just ran down it at an easy effort and tried to avoid braking as I didn't want any damage to the quads.It came out at 7.07 and felt easy the next 3 got slightly faster and 4 was at 6.55.Even though it drops a lot there are still some decent uphills, and on these I tried to keep the effort even.I got to 10k at 44.40 ,which is about 50 secs ahead of target.The course then is basically level for 10m but again it has rolling hills.When I got to 10m it felt like I was working a bit hard so decided to take it a bit easier until 16.5 when the hills hit.At 20k we hit the loudest part of the course,the Wellesley scream tunnel,it was immense,you could here them as you approached and the news was amazing,I high fived tons of them but probably went a bit fast there.
    I got 13.1 in 1:35:14 so slightly over but it felt like I'd gotten my effort back under control and felt happy with my pacing.A couple more easier miles brings me to mile 17 and the famed Newton Hills,I actually felt good here and was ready for them.1st hill up and over at 7:36 pace,already a lot of walkers here,after each hill you have a downhill so need to watch the quads,2nd hill exact same pace, I'm overtaking lots of people now,3rd slightly slower but still good,then I turn and see heartbreak hill,it doesn't look too bad,but it's my slowest mile at 7:49,now a general downhill finish for 5 miles,do I have anything left after the hills?
    It's a downhill and I chuck in a 7:07 so the answer is yes.Another fast mile brings me to 24 and I'm starting to hurt,luckily the crowds here were amazing and helped me push through.I still slowed to 7:35 for 3 miles and a push for the last mile brought me home in 3:14:40 so pretty much what I expected.
    Overall I loved the whole race and experience,the Boston crowds were brilliant,not as many as NYC but the way the course is makes it hard,but all the towns you go through come out for a party.
    Forgot to add about weather,it actually ended up a bit warm,there was no cloud cover and sunny,there was a headwind for the last 26.2 miles buy I wouldn't say it had too much effect.
    It definitely puts me in a good frame for GFA after August.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - superb report and congratulations on a very well executed run, all your prep paid off and you achieved your goal time.  There's not many runners that can do that..

As you say sets you up nicely for your next goal of GFA time.

Enjoy yourself in NY.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Ian. A great report and you followed your plan perfectly. Sounds like you enjoyed it too, which is great. It looked like good conditions on TV although the winner of the ladies wheelchair was talking about a headwind, so I’m glad it didn’t have too much impact for you. That’s another major ticked off, so that’s brilliant too. One of my club mates out there got her BQ time again, but my other club mate was a DNS, although I’m not sure why. He was running very well at recent, shorter, local events so it’s a shame for him. 

Well done to you too, Keith. Getting a faster time on your 4th event takes some doing I’d have thought. 

Shades, that sounded quite tough out there for you, but well done for getting it done. I hope the recovery run helps this morning. 

As for me, I’m back to having dilemmas about whether to even travel to Belfast.  My ferry appears to be running but there is a fair chance that Dad will be being discharged (to where, I don’t know) either close to when I’m supposed to be travelling, or when I’m actually out there. I don’t know what to do really as there’s so much uncertainty. I’ll find out more from the hospital about how he’s doing later today as they’ll be changing his dressings and assessing him again this morning, following the BH weekend.  Obviously, on the one hand and selfishly I’ve been working towards this 100 for years and really want to go, but on the other hand at the moment I’m not sure I’d enjoy the trip with all the uncertainty, as I’m worrying about him. There are obviously lots of other marathons I could do and in a funny way it’s good that I’ve only got the one left to to do as I can just do whichever one suits really. It’s a shame though as we were looking forward to the holiday in the van a lot. I think probably I’ll know more about what is going on with him this week, so hopefully we can better decide one way the other by Thursday or Friday. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Big G - shame about your fellow Trotter having to go all the way to Boston and then DNS, hope it's not Covid.

That's tricky about your trip to NI for your 100th.   Hopefully you'll know for definite what the plans are for your Dad so you can then make a decision whether to go or not.   You don't want to go and then be worrying about your Dad all the time.    You can always take up a late place at NDVM.   If you put off your 100th for a few weeks/months then you can't run any marathons in the interim period.   ;)

Yes, recovery run really did help today.   Legs didn't feel too bad when I got up and strangely unlike the last recovery run I had no specific pains/niggles such as knee and foot.   But all the muscles are very tired, quads/hamstrings/calves and I don't think there's much glycogen left.   Ran 5 miles, could have done without the frosty weather, my legs would have appreciated something warmer but good to get it done.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I’ll make a plan for the 100th if I don’t do Belfast. I suspect either NDVM or Worcester, just to get it done. A shame in a way for it to be like that, but it’s just life getting in the way really. As you say, I will want to do other ones, and I have one of Davey’s (or will it be Tim’s by then…..?) in August to celebrate a friend’s 100th and I wouldn’t want to gate crash that with it being my 100th as well, ideally.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Great run and time given the challenges of your lead-up. Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in the states. Would love to qualify for Boston one day even if those hills sound killer. How far below the actual qualifying time do you usually need to get in? 

Shades - Good news on the legs. 

Big G - Difficult one re your dad. Hopefully you get some clarity on his condition. What is NDVM?

Rest day today. ITB seems ok after yesterday’s long run I think. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - NDVM would be better, I don't think Worcester do any presentations.   NDVM you'll have some of your club members there and they do a proper presentation.

Davey asked me whether I was running or marshalling his May event, so I assume he's still organising that one as far as I know.   I won't be there, I'm doing Halstead that weekend.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, it’s North Dorset Village Marathon. A well regarded, fairly small (400 limit) event on the roads in Dorset. 

Shades, I put NDVM in the club champs again this year, so there may be a few Trotters there. I’ll have to decide soon. It’s made a bit more complicated as OH is flying to NL on Friday and home on Tuesday. I was picking her up from the airport in the van on Tuesday to take a drive up to Scotland for the ferry (stopping on the way), but if we cancel Belfast that won’t be required. Hopefully I’ll know a bit more when I go in today. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I didn't realise you were planning to sail to NI so far ahead of the marathon, hence you needing to make a decision fairly quickly.

Rcouture - NDVM is one of my favourite races, definitely top 10, maybe even top 5.    Only negative for me is the last mile is off road.   But big positive is that a hog roast is included in the entry fee, delicious, perfect post marathon food.  😋
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian, fantastic report...very well paced. I would really love to run Boston but I'll either have to get a lot faster or a lot older to qualify. 
    Big G, hope things work out for you.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you can get a place for Boston through sports tour companies without having a qualifying time.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Great report, and superbly run.
    Shades - Congrats on the 50k.
    Cal - Congrats on 100 Parkruns!!
    Big G - Hope your injury isn't too bad. I'm OK, had a sports massage, eased things off, but I can still feel tightness. Hasn't stopped me running and it has defo gotten easier.

Taper and a sports massage have eased my tightness in my calf (soleus). I've only run easy until Sunday and did 8*100m strides which felt OK. Then did 2 miles at MP today which came out to 6:45/6:55, so a touch too fast, but felt comfortable. Tightness hasn't stopped me running but I can still feel some discomfort but no pain, probably a 2/10 now, not sure if it's now just taper madness or what!! Did reduce my taper from 57/45 miles over the 2 weeks to 52/40 miles, so legs do feel fresh, but not sure if 26 at MP will be too much for the calf, I do have the option to drop at HM distance, so plan at the moment is to give it a go and see what happens.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-You can't be too far off qualifying when you're at your best,50-54 is 3:55,and 55-59 is 4:05,can't remember how old you are sorry.
    Steve-Hope you can complete as your training has gone brilliantly.
    Shades-Well done on getting your race finished,sounded a tough ending.
    Big G-Tough decisions ahead with your dad,hope whatever you decide goes well.
    Rcouture-It's usually 3-4 mins under but this year everyone got in.
    The hills themselves aren't too bad it's just where they are on the course and so many people trash themselves before they get there with all the downs.
    As I age before the next that's another BQ by 10 mins,also brings my majors average to about 3:19.Just need to figure Tokyo now as its going be hard for a couple of years.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Shades, I just messaged my mate and he tested positive for Covid, on the official test, so didn’t travel. Fortunately he got a refund on everything except the race, but is hoping to go next year. He did a 1:23 at Taunton Half and has gone sub 3 before and has improved loads over the last 3 or 4 years. He’s in his 50s but is still improving, and is one of those that proves to me that with a bit of graft anything is possible. Plus he’s a nice bloke as well, very humble, and deserves it I feel. He’s in for NDVM but told me he’s not racing it. He seems okay health wise as he’s away in Cornwall at the moment for a short break, so that’s good. 

Steve, good news the calf is feeling mainly ok, and the legs fresh. As you say, maybe give it a crack and see how you get on. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Bad news on your mate,I bought the insurance just incase of that,only cost £12,easy saying after the fact though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, he said he bought a hotel and flight package with BA and got the money back for that,  but yeah, it seems that he didn’t get the race cancellation insurance. Worth keeping in mind if I do it. I have looked at hotels for next year (hence my questions to you the other day), just in case I do it, but it’s crazy money at the moment. I think/hope that not all the hotels have put their availability up yet. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-It will be crazy money all the way,that's why I picked an air bnb,as it was a bit more reasonable,a lot of runners tend to stay out in Quincy or on the outskirts,if you can get near a T line station it's good transport.
    Have to figure out when this picture was from as I look a bit too happy.

• Options
    Back home now after a huge even by my standards brekkie and yet i was still hungry most of the way home.
    Washing is on and everything else is sorted so now time for feet up and latest Bond film on Amazon.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - nice pic, you look very happy.

Big G - at least your mate hadn't travelled and got most of his money refunded.  Must have been very disappointing though.

Hotel prices have gone through the roof since the pandemic, add that to a major race and it will be a lot of money.

Steve - I had a similar injury to my soleus and I was able to train, but that slight feeling it was still there and could 'go' at any time.   It made me a bit nervous about racing but I taped it up and that made it feel supported and I was able to race with no problems.  The taping gave me confidence to race, did a marathon and DD.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - I'm very hungry today too.  And race kit washed this morning.

Don't know when results will be up on the website, think Davey had to get back to London last night.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Well I controlled the race yesterday well but the hills have done a number on me,think its the worst doms I've ever had,really hard moving around today,at least the walking will help a bit.
    I said it was a bit warm,don't know how but I'm sunburnt pretty bad in places,sure it was only about 12°
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I don't suppose you did a recovery run this morning to avoid the worst of the DOMs  ;)

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I honestly don't think I could run,every time I go up or down a step its really sore.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's probably too late now, needs to be morning after before DOM's kicks in.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rest day for me today.   Legs feel good, barely a twinge.   :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm posting the list as not sure when Davey will update the results, will amend if any different.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A very full looking list there, which is great to see!

Ian, I had that after Loch Ness, which I think is probably similar to Boston in terms of terrain (point-to-point, 6 miles down hill, rolling for a few miles, and a run-able hill towards the end). I was broken after that one!

I was hoping for a better update at the hospital yesterday afternoon, but no sign of any plan forming as yet. When it happens, it may happen quite quickly though I suppose, fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I hope you get the update about your Dad very soon.    I'll hold off on adding the May races until after the weekend and you know where and when you'll be doing your 100th.

It's those downhills that give such painful DOMS in the quads  :'(
  • Options
    Oddly quads are fine and i am perfectly capable of moving normal speed today. Calves still very achy mind. Still in an on/off eating for a whole family thing here.
    Shades - The times are up now
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - glad you're recovering well.  You did well 5th place on the final day.

I'll update the times tomorrow, only the seconds to add.