Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TR, thanks. I’m doing all I can with the strengthening and stretching exercises and I’ve been very good/consistent with them, but I need to keep them going. I’ve double checked and the bike is definitely fine, plus I don’t have any issues at all after rides no matter the intensity. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Committee meeting last night, and the room we use is in a Council building and has always had a pic of the queen hanging up. It did seem a bit odd to do a minute’s science at the start of the meeting, with her pic on the wall!  They’ve cancelled Monday’s training as The Rec, where we meet, is closing that day and regardless of that I think training would have been cancelled. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Big G - I read up on Baxter's Nerve, quite interesting.

Yesterday I asked at the leisure centre if they were closed on the 19th, they didn't yet know.   I expect they will, makes no difference to me.  Good to see so many of the shops closing for the day.

Ian - there are some advantages to getting older  ;) , such as Covid booster.   Whoever thought there might be a time when we are happy to be getting injections.    I didn't wait to be contacted, just happened to hear on the radio that my age group could now book so was easily able to choose convenient date when I have 2 weeks free in between my autumn marathons.

Well done again to both of you at Antwerp, would you recommend Antwerp as a good marathon?

If you had slightly cooler and less humid conditions in Chicago, I'm sure you could go a little bit faster.

Thanks TR.

8 miles this morning, flat route.   Weird weather,19 degrees when I went out before 6 a.m., and 98% humidity, not a breath of wind, was really muggy.   Thankfully it started to rain halfway through and by the time I finished the rain was quite cooling.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I had a look as well but then I worried myself with all the images of surgery!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, quite graphic images of the surgery. 😨 However, good success rate.

But general consensus was that 20% of PF is entrapment of the Baxter's Nerve and on one website it did say the cortisone injections were more successful and injection site is in a slightly different place.  Another website said that if it's the Baxter's Nerve then that doesn't show in a scan, your inflammation did show in the scan.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I would say it is a good marathon,they allowed on the day pick up for people who travelled in,cups of water and iso drink every 5k,but extras after 30k,very flat course,most roads closed and where not they had police stopping cars as you approached so no issues,GPS is very erratic for a strange reason,I've seen from 26 to 26.5,no reason in the first half as it was nearly all straight with no buildings.
    My app says humidity was 94% on Sunday,could explain some of the struggles later on.
    OH should be able to tell me when my age is about to be called and get me in,ideally just after Chicago.
    Just done our London GFA entries.I'd imagine it would be a quick turnaround with the race being in April,as they need to sort that before doing the ballot draw.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, are you considering Boston?  I very nearly paid for it yesterday, but didn’t. I think I may though, and just get the payment protection as you suggested. I’m sure if I’ve still got this injury I could get evidence from the podiatrist and get the cash back. I do have a refundable hotel already, but no flights as yet. I don’t want to go into it with this mindset but I did have a look at previous results and back markers are out there for 7+hrs. So I could probably run/walk it and get around it if I had to. I need to decide this week. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-No,with Tokyo and India I can't stretch to it,also if OH gets into London then I'd imagine we'll make a family weekend of it.
    It did cross my mind for a few minutes though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - thanks for the info, will put Antwerp on my possible list, funds permitting.   Over the last few years there's been a dearth of road marathons in the UK for September, even during the running boom we lost Wolverhampton and Nottingham.  I did Hullavington last year, loved it, they cancelled due to road works this year, but it would have clashed with Barnstaple anyway.  Not sure Hullavington will return as they've now cancelled the 10k too due to lack of entries.

On the morning of Antwerp. when I was stalking tracking you, I did check the forecast and the humidity was about 86% when you started, still higher than ideal for racing, it dropped throughout the race but not by much, low 70's when you finished.

Big G - that's a big decision to make re Boston  :/
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm going to keep an eye on Belgian and Dutch marathons as it was only an hours flight for me,and 1 train(50 mins) from Brussels to Antwerp
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I’m wavering. Part of me thinks ‘go for it’, and the other part says ‘well, you’re not actually running at the moment, so don’t be stupid’. It’s a lot of cash. I’m obviously hoping I get back to full fitness, but if I don’t get to qualify again this may be the one and only time I could do it. But also, if I am still injured, I’m not sure I want to go all that way and spend all that money to just run/walk around. I can - and probably would - do that for London, but that’s a lot, lot cheaper overall. I could enter it with the insurance and get the cash back if injured, but there is still the cost of the flights. Flights that I can cancel are a lot more expensive, but that is something I may look into more fully this week. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, Bruges was pretty good, as was Leiden. I’d do both again, anyway. It may be different each year, but my Leiden medal is amongst my favourites. The only problem with Bruges is that when I did it they did warn in advance that they may have to stop the race to let a train go by. I wasn’t stopped, but this would be an issue for qualifying times. If just for a bit of fun, and getting to visit a really nice place, then no problem. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-In Antwerp the police even stopped the tram when I was running across a route.
    I've had a quick look at Boston flights,presuming you go from London look at Air France,they code share with Virgin and Delta,you can go Thu-Tue(other days are similar) direct and refundable for £654,you can get £80 cheaper if you are happy to change on the way out,big advantage being if you feel like you're good to go closer to the time you can look for a cheaper flight.There are a lot of reasonable flights out there at the minute.Complete basic ie no checked bag and allocated seat is only £450 return.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, when you say code share, do you mean there are voucher/discount codes around for those flight operators?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    No sorry,I meant you book on air france but the flights are virgin and delta,air france refundable fares always seem cheaper than most others,its their flex fare.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Back out today,did my usual 7m loop,legs were a bit rough but got better as I got in to it.
  • Options
    Big G - That’s good news on the return to running. You’ve been very patient and disciplined. I guess the zwifting helps with that. 

In New York since Monday for work. Was going to go out for a run this morning before meetings but there were thunderstorms which meant I had to go out around lunchtime for 6 humid, ‘feels like 34’ miles. Have some time tomorrow morning and weather looks better so will try and go longer. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you did say you had a long flight the day after your long run.  :o   You do get around with your job.

'Feels like 34', that must have been very sauna like, good for you running in those conditions.  🥵

Big G - good luck, hope today's return to running goes well 

5 miles for me this morning, light rain and a little breeze made the high humidity less noticeable.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, in hindsight, I wasted a few weeks where I was trying to run, and should have got into Zwift sooner. When I cancelled Chester and Oslo I made the switch to Zwift, and it’s kept me sane, and I can see I’m improving which is motivating. 

I’ve downloaded the NHS app 5K run/walk programme. I programmed the first one into my Garmin, so I didn’t lose count of the reps(!). It said 5mins warmup/cool-down but mine was more like 10-12mins as I walked to the seafront before the reps started, and then I walked back. It was just 8x60/90-secs but it’s a start and it felt good to be out there. No pain, which is also good, but I’ll see how it is tomorrow, although I won’t run tomorrow. 

I’ll see how it goes over the coming week or two, and hopefully I’ll include a parkrun on Saturday, which I’ll run/walk. 

I’m still going to keep up the cycling whilst I see how this develops, but it felt good to be out there.  As I donned my hiviz vest as it was dark when I went out, it dawned on me that I’ve missed out on all those local coastal path routes over the summer, which is a shame. But I enjoyed today, which is good. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a great start.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks, it’s not much (just 8 mins of running), but I feel I need something like this initially just to see how it goes. The next 2 sessions in the app are the same. Not interested in pace at all really but the running was really steady at about 10-11 pace for a minute at a time. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - 8 minutes of running is fine.   Most important is that you remain pain free.   Otherwise, we might have to put you in for that surgery ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, if it comes to that I’m not sure what I’d do!  I’d imagine it’s not done on NHS, but I don’t know. Podiatrist did seem fairly confident it would go on its own accord eventually, and never mentioned anything about surgery. Fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - unlikely it will come to that so just stay confident that you're on the rehab route.  :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good news on getting back out,with your aerobic fitness if the foot stays good then you'll soon build back up.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Ian, I think you’re right that my aerobic fitness is probably ok. I know it’s not like for like in comparing riding with running, but I’m doing a Zwift programme at the moment (Zwift Academy) and it’s categorised me as being a Time Trialist (the other options were Sprinter and Persuiter). 

What it says for Time Trialist is:

On a basic level, the aerobic energy system is the predominant system we use when we cycle or exercise. This system generates energy by using fats and carbohydrates in the presence of oxygen and helps us go for long durations. 
    • Strength: As the name suggests, time trialists can keep the power up for a long time without fatigue. To further this ability, long easy rides and FTP-focused work are a must.
    • Limiter: The sprint is every time trialist’s nemesis. To lift your sprinting ability, focus on short and sharp intervals, do some off-bike strength training, and work on your sprint technique.

I see similarities there with going out for long runs and being pleased with the lack of cardiac drift. I like the focus on long, easy rides, which I’ve been doing a lot of. Plus, yeah, I’m crap at sprinting on the bike and when running :) 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I’ve seen elsewhere the below for GFA 2019/20 so if this is accurate and it is the same for 2023, we are both in. He added the WAVA scores and you are in a tough category!  Who knows for 2023, but I’m hopeful. If I don’t get in so be it, but I’m glad to at least be in with a shout for the first time. 

• Options
    Shades - Without sounding ungrateful but the travel is the part of the job I dislike the most especially after about 15 years of it. Being away from the family, unhealthy food, wasted time in airports and usually packed schedules that don’t allow much fun or exploring. Luckily there’s far less of it post pandemic and running has helped a lot. 

Speaking of which, 12 miles around Central Park this morning which was a big loop around the edge of the park including the hilly bit in the north plus another loop excluding the hilly bit. Travel home overnight. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-And don't forget the other 3 years they have had this system there has been zero cut off.I hope we find out not long after the ballot is finished.
    Another 7 today,I have awkward shifts the next 2 days so may be Sunday before I can run again.