Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That's a really good article on her.She is really impressive,it's not like she's just walking around lakes to tot them up.
    Leg seemed a bit better today so went for a run and told myself if stop if it hurt.
    It generally went well but occasionally I felt a shooting pain up the calf,I'll keep an eye on it and keep doing some rehab.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - she doesn't do any of the Mickey Mouse type of events, always 'proper marathons '.   We ran together for a while at Halstead and we were discussing just that.   She was telling me about her planned 600th plus the award from London marathon.

She usually runs in her 100MC vest but I see for Chicago she was running in her Plumstead vest.

I didn't know you could get life membership of Berlin marathon, that's quite an honour.

Age is no barrier 🙂
  • Options
    That’s a great story. I especially like the fact she started fairly late at 37. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I did my first marathon at the age of 38.

Had only planned to do one......
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, yeah, I’ve had that update and it’s not been happy since I’ve been unwell (ie, it seems to agree I’m unwell). Similarly, the stress indicator also went bonkers when I had covid last year. 

Shades, I don’t know how it works technically but he mentioned he’d deleted a database by accident and it took quite a while (a couple of of weeks, not days) to sort out. As I said though, he relied on submissions from members (and RDs, who mainly are also members) and the main thing they care about is the lapped events, and I can’t really see that improving. 
  • Options
    Shades - The best laid plans of mice and men…
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - oh no, the poor chap deleting the database.   Let's hope he doesn't do anything important in his day job  ;)  Must have been a nightmare for him.  I still don't understand why club members aren't helping him by notifying him of the errors plus providing additions to the list.   

5 miles this morning, I waited until it was light enough to see without streetlights, frustrating having to stop and wait at the junctions for the traffic, but it was worth it as I had a really good look at my kingfisher on the way home.   Weird weather, 16 degrees at 7 a.m., very humid and 40mph winds.

Weather for Abingdon is back to thundery showers, heavy this time, humidity starting in the 90's, 17 degrees and breezy.   Not good really, I think the humidity will make it tough.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have yesterday emailed the club secretary asking about this. I know they’re very different clubs, but Trotters has a respected (local) race diary, which gets 100s of click throughs a month on our site, and is the most popular page on the site.  We get a lot of good comments from RDs and non-members who use it as the ‘go to’ list for local races.  It’s proactively managed by someone (Eleanor T), where she goes out and finds local races, emails RDs for details/dates, and maintains the list.  My question to the 100MC secretary was could road events be more proactively managed by the club, rather than solely relying on members to send the info in?  I’ve been fobbed off already though so I don’t think anything will happen. The majority of club members just aren’t interested in traditional road events. 

OH is flying to Copenhagen today so made the journey to Bristol first thing this morning. She’s meeting her Mum over there, which will be a nice break for them. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I often use the Trotter's race diary, Eleanor does a good job and if there's the tiniest change in race info it's amended immediately.

Good for you emailing the 100MC.   When the list is finally updated with UK/Irish marathons they should email all the race organisers asking that the RO's email the club with their race details as each race is launched each year.   It's in the interest of the RO's to have the event on the list and they'll be happy to oblige.

Sometimes it's hard to see that the 100MC as it is now having any interest in running at all.   Such a shame when I think of those that started the club and worked so hard.    Definitely time for a new 100 club.

• Options
    Big G - Sounds a lovely trip for your OH. Copenhagen’s great. Only downside was how expensive it was.

I’ve entered Barcelona for March along with Chicago. Easy to defer if need be, got friends I might stay with and got good reviews in here. It’s the right time as have half terms hols in early April which makes races in that month I’d want to do like Paris and Manchester difficult. Speaking of Copenhagen I’d even consider doing that in May again if I end up not doing Barca for whatever reason. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - good to see you putting your race calendar in place for next year.

If you get into London will you run that too, or defer to the following year?

You could do Copenhagen and Barcelona, they're a fair time apart,.  If you wanted to that is.
  • Options
    Shades - Think London important enough for me that it would take precedence and I’d defer Barcelona and just try and keep up the running/not overeat on half term holiday! 
    Think I’m still wary of doing more than 2 marathons a year, given not just work and life especially now with OH treatment, but also a focus for now on improving my times. I’d like to do more but might have to wait. I also enjoy training just as much as racing weirdly. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, great news about potential Barcelona plans!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Good to see you getting plans in place,just need to find a few shorter races now to tune up.
    7 after work today,got absolutely drenched,looked fine when I went out so just wore a tshirt,sort of regretted it a bit.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    London ballot results out Monday.
    Presume GFA will be announced the sane day
    https://www.tcslondonmarathon.com/news-and-media/latest-news/ballot-results-on-monday
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I enjoy the training and the racing.    If I had to give one up it would be the racing. 

Ian - I thought the GFA entrants were to be notified on the 28th of October.  I'm sure you GFA entrants said that?

Looks like I will be getting drenched tomorrow, heavy rain now likely for before and for most of the race, unlikely will be able to keep feet dry which can be grim in a marathon.  Still nothing we can do about the weather, frustrating as perfect conditions today and on Monday.  :#

Big G - remember Dartmoor Vale when we had that torrential rainstorm.   That was the worse rain I'd even run in; however, it did stop.

Rest day today.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thats what it said originally,but they also said if you get GFA you will be taken out the ballot,so can't see how they can do it later,wonder if GFA don't get a ballot email then?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I remember that vividly. It was one of those ‘what on earth am I doing?!’ moments and I was very miserable. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I don't know, you might get a rejected from the ballot email on Monday followed by GFA acceptance/rejection email on Friday.  Can't see the point of waiting until the Friday though.

Big G - yes, I think you had a tough run that day.
  • Options
    Shades - Fingers crossed for a late turn in the weather tomorrow. I’ve found BBC forecasts have struggled for accuracy more than normal lately. 

6 miles this afternoon. There’s a bug going around the house which might explain why I’ve felt under the weather lately aside from just the mara recovery. Looking forward to Cyprus tomorrow, but not a long day of travel with the kiddies 😩.
  • Options
    Good luck this weekend's racers and the balloteers. (I did not bother with London - already in for Manchester).

I had a quiet couple of days and my arm is almost back to normal now, though still sore from all the injections. On another note, I was very put out to receive another NHS letter asking me to come for an MRI scan (again with contrast dye) in November. I have absolutely no idea why they are asking this. Professor Sharma said the CT scan was the last thing to rule out any issues. The letter was sent before the CT scan took place so I don't know if this is a miscommunication or what. I almost felt like crying when I got it - I do not want to have to go through that dye stuff again. It's even worse, too, as they said a whole 24 hours without caffeine the day before (a Sunday), plus there's the matter of my piercings which are a pain to get in and out. I might just tell them to sod off. I've had enough. I've run 11 marathons and haven't died so I really can't see anything wrong.

Anyway, I decided to do Gadebridge parkrun today, which is in Hemel Hempstead and one I needed to tick off, sooner rather than later as it's mostly grass and I wouldn't want to do it when it was muddy. I arrived a bit earlier than I'd planned so opted to walk the 2 miles from the station rather than run, and then ran a mile in the park to warm up. The hip niggle from Wednesday was no longer present (thank God) but right hammy was very noticeable. 
    The parkrun itself is exactly the kind I don't much enjoy. While the park itself is pleasant and the weather, lovely, the course is undulating and mostly on horrible lumpy grass, which was also wet and quite slippery in places. I was constantly watching my feet to avoid turning an ankle on a lump or slipping on a stick. Hamstring did not enjoy the hills, either, so I only managed 30:53 and then jogged back to the station again without sticking around.
    I'll have a good stretch out in front of the telly later and hopefully can still run tomorrow. My Alton Towers number arrived, so I want to be in decent shape for that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I've found the same with BBC weather, I believe they use a different source now.   Google weather is good.

But they all agree about tomorrow, good news the rain storms should clear up earlier, so dry up for the latter stages of the race.   Bad news earlier thundery showers now upgraded to Yellow warning, with possible flooding and disruption.

Hope you're all well for your trip to Cyprus, have a good holiday.

Cal - maybe you can persuade them you don't need an MRI.   Very bad timing to get that letter when you're still recovering from the CT scan.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Good luck for tomorrow, have to admit it doesn't sound the best of races.
    Rcouture-Have a good time in Cyprus.
  • Options
    Hope your race isn't as wet as London currently is, Shades.
    I've just come back from an 11 mile run. Hammy wasn't as bad as yesterday - it was there but less noticeable, right until I got to the last mile (part of the reason I decided on 11 miles rather than an even 12...the other was that I was close to home anyway and wanting my breakfast).
    It was actually pretty warm so I was back in shorts again, although it rained intermittently. There was only one heavy shower but that didn't last long.
    My Garmin was showing my HR as high for the pace I was doing (well, I didn't check it during the run, only after) so I suspect I might have left the strap a bit loose or something as the pace was pretty easy - around 11 mins give or take, until the last mile which was a bit quicker.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, folks.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Very, very wet for the first 10 miles, then warm and sunny.  Humidity high for the whole race.

Scraped a sub 5, 4:58ish, so another GFA time.  Beautifully organised race.

Just leaving now for drive home.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Well done on another GFA and sub 5.Did you feel it was there all along or did you have to push for it?
  • Options
    Well done Shades!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done, Shades!  Looking forward to the report :) 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it was hard, report to follow later this morning.

Recovery run done.   Feet/ankles barely a twinge when I got up.    After Barnstaple I experienced quite a lot of discomfort on the following morning, due to the Novas.   So must be getting used to the Novas now.  :)

Quads a bit sore, can only think that was the 3 hour drive home, more than the running.

Good luck ballot and GFA entrants today.