Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    My GFA email has landed and I’m in!  There are details about payment, with the link being sent out 18/11 and payment having to be made by 16/12. 

How did you and your OH get on, Ian?  I haven’t seen details about the cut offs. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just about to post,both got in .
    Oh was just under 2 mins under so won't be much of a cut off 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done both!!  Really pleased for you. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Big G-Guy from the club said it was 3:30 under for males
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I was lucky then. A chap over on Fetch has said he got in, although he was 1min26 inside (same age group as me). I wonder if it’s different cut offs for different age groups?  Either that or he’s misread his email!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Big G, Ian and OH, great news.

Big G - are you better now?
  • Options
    Congrats on the gfa! 

Shades great race, glad you enjoyed it.  I have fond memories of Abingdon and the organisation.

nothing much to report, asthma playing up and have a dead quad (the one that has stitches in) so no activity from me.

I’m a DNS Wendover woods 50, it’s a monster of a race and one I'm nowhere near prepared for.  In future years it’s going to be a summer race, they are combining 100 miler, 50miler, 50km at night, 10 mile fun run and kids race in one weekend.  Something to consider for 2024.

Good luck whoever’s waiting for ballot results, im also expecting my module result from OU today, have a bad feeling about both. 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yes they must be different then,he was 30 so said he needed 2:56:30,unless it rumours,but he was only 12 seconds under.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I needed another course of antibiotics which finished today. My RHR has been high these last few days (mid-60s whereas it’s usually low 50s) so although I’m feeling better something isn’t right. It may be the meds I suppose so I’ll see how I am in a day or two. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - sorry to hear that you won't be doing your ultra.   But the time of year/weather makes such a difference in a race such as that.

I'm sure you'll have done fine with your OU module, perhaps not so good for London ballot though ;)

Big G - sorry to hear you're still not fully recovered.   Hope you don't need further meds.

Report coming up, not much to say really, just my usual waffle.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Abingdon Marathon – 404

This was my 9th time running Abingdon, but a long 12 years since the last time I was here and on that day in 2010 achieved my last marathon PB.

When Newport postponed their race date I needed another race to fill the gap, a slight hesitancy as now a strict 5 hour cut off and anyone outside of 5:15 would not make the results.   For those of us that like to count our events that would be considered a DNF.

So, I was hoping to repeat my performance at Barnstaple, but a head cold the weekend before Abingdon combined with ominous weather forecast on race day didn’t do much for my confidence.

I pack up and leave my Travelodge on the M4, just an easy 25 minute drive to Abingdon, how hard can that be?   Heavy rain when I leave the Services and once on the A34 it becomes torrential with flashes of lightening.  No lighting on this road and impossible to tell what was flood water and what wasn’t, couldn’t really see where I was going and quite depressing thinking of having to try and run in this weather.   I think if this had been a local race I wouldn’t have left home.   

What I had forgotten about Abingdon is how well organised the event is.   Free parking had been arranged a 10 minute walk from race HQ, I chose the College parking option and driving into the car park the marshalls are out in the torrential rain with golf umbrellas, smiling and welcoming us.   Usually arriving at a race everyone gets out of their cars and starts their race prep, not today, we all sat in the cars looking at the rain, still torrential.   After 20 minutes the rain eases enough to put on wet weather gear and walk to race HQ.   Nice chat with a couple of other runners on the way, one girl doing her first marathon today.

I had also forgotten how big the race HQ building was and there was room for all the runners to take shelter inside.   Spacious changing rooms to use and have a pre-race chat.  I had a plastic poncho which I was going to wear to the start and as long as required during the race.  I went outside to the food stall, cooking bacon and sausages, just a coffee for me.   Rain was light now and temperature was good, not cold.   Efficient bag drop close to start/finish and then we queue up on the track.  Ten minutes to go and the rain starts again, heavy and persistent, very persistent. 

This is always a competitive race with some good fast runners, once we start they sprint off to do nearly a full lap of the track before heading out onto the roads.  The leaders were running so fast that there was almost a chance of them lapping us slower runners before we’d got across the start line, but it seems the organisers had timed that perfectly and it didn’t happen.

Out onto the roads, there’s a lot of surface water which most of us are trying to avoid, keeping our feet as dry as possible.   Fortunately for me as there are fewer slower runners in this race I can pick my way avoiding the bigger puddles without impeding other runners.    The course is flat, Garmin recorded a total climb of 260 feet, but lots of twists and turns.   I’m trying to run to HR of 130 but even in the early miles HR is creeping up a bit further, it is humid I rip off the poncho and give it to a marshall.   After a couple of miles we have a section of trail, not enough for me to moan about as it’s good trail surface but today there are large muddy puddles to avoid.    About 90 minutes into the race, the rain eases and finally stops.   Blue skies appear and the sun comes out and a couple of miles later I am able to dry my shades and put them on.   The course is not strictly 2 laps but there are sections that are run twice so it’s not long before the leader of the race glides pass me on his second lap, looking strong with an effortless running style.   He has a good lead and its a few minutes before the next runner appears.  (Results not out as I write this).

I average 10:41 per mile for the first 13 miles and get to halfway in 2:20, about a minute slower than Barnstaple.   However, I’m finding it hard and can’t settle into a comfortable pace, I’ve lost some aerobic fitness from the head cold.  My pace slows a little and by miles 18 slows significantly.    Because there are fewer slower runners we’ve been able to have a few chats which has been a nice distraction. 

By mile 20 I know I can make the 5:15 final cut off, not sure about a sub 5 but I do the best I can even though I am tired.   I plod on, the sun is out and it’s quite warm now, nudging 18/20 degrees, not too warm for me, but the humidity is very high and I think that is affecting me.   Despite my slow pace I do pass a few other runners, the last few miles are hard but the marshalls are amazing, happy and encouraging and their mood is infectious.

Finally I turn into the finish but I still have to run almost a full lap of the track, hasty look at my watch and I know I can do a sub 5 so thrilled to finish in 4:58:02, which should give me a GFA time for 2024.   Nice wooden medal and buff, free cup of tea and biscuit.

I can’t fault the organisation and friendliness of this race, I plan to go back next year.

• Options
    Nice write-up, Shades - very well done on the GFA (not that you'll use it, but still).
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Great report,tempted to do that at some point,really well done on your time,that must be worth a few more.minutes in that weather?
    I'm really happy OH got in London,she worked so hard last year to get all the training in.1 of our sons friend wants to do 1,first thing she said to him is tell him to slow down ,he needs to run easy 🤣
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great report Shades. It’s strange as I can’t remember too much about it the one and only time I did it. I was hoping for a decent time, but I wasn’t in tiptop shape, and went out too fast, and then struggled in. That has tainted my memory of it quite a lot!  Not in anyway the fault of the race of course and I hope to make a reappearance at some point. 

Ian, yeah, your OH did brilliantly, as did you. I’m also really pleased as when the email came in I did give a little fist pump!  I just hope I’m back to running reasonably well by then. 
  • Options
    Ian can highly recommend Abingdon too, from memory has a familiar vibe to trimpell 20. 

Shades great report and we’ll done on the gfa, that track at the end goes of for ever! in recent years they have experimented with bottles and cups of water and lucosade what did they have this year? Hope the legs are okay.

Both myself and Elle got ballot rejections my 13th.  Have used a free entry for a looped trail race with a good St. George’s day themed medal.

in better news, I got the pass I needed for my uni assignment, onto my final assignment. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Robert - well done on the OU pass.   Right now that's more important than London ballot.

They used sturdy paper cups this time, for me they were a bit big.   They did have energy drink too on some of the drink stations, it wasn't Lucozade.  Also fruit and jelly babies on offer too.

Just had a quick look at the results, only 703 finishers.   As they had 1153 entries I think a lot DNS'd due to the weather.

Of the 703 runners, 122 sub 3 hour, that is gun time too so may be a few more.  That's a high percentage of speedy runners.  
    Winner was 2:33, two minutes ahead of 2nd place.
  • Options
    Congrats, Rob! (Er, the pass, not the rejection).
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Well done on the pass.
    Glad we booked our London hotels as our hotel has shot up in price as expected.
    7 after work today,heart rate is back where it should be now and pace wasn't too bad so happy with that 2 weeks after Chicago.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the GFA acceptances folks

Shades - well done yday, I like Abingdon, it's a good race organised by runners for keen runners.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, my London hotel has shot up as well. I’m still not happy with my Boston accommodation but it’s totally extortionate where I’d prefer to be, so I think I’m going to have to live with it.

Well done Robert. Great news. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thats the biggest problem with Boston and Chicago, any more news on cut offs?
    Your comments about BQ reminded me of when I crossed the line in Chicago,some American finished just behind me and was screaming "that's a BQ baby" and everyone was cheering him,I remember thinking yeah so was mine by 15 mins, but it showed how much it means to them
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Chap I mentioned earlier is wondering if there has somehow been a mistake with his DOB.  He is 45-49 and was about 90-secs inside the 3:10 qualifying time. He has since said he knows people in the 50-54 category nearly 3mins inside that qualifying time who haven’t got in. So if the above is correct, either the 45-49 category is somehow soft in comparison to other age cats, or there is something wrong with his own GFA application!  I’ll keep you posted. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The guy got his time as a v45-49 but will be 50 on race day. He is wondering if they have given him a GFA off of the old way of doing things, as I think qualification used to be based on age on London race day, whereas (according to the FAQ) qualification is now based on the age at which you ran the qualifying race. Still no official info but unless he put his age in incorrectly in his application (which seems unlikely), or the v45-49 is soft this year for some reason (which also seems unlikely), then it could be something wrong at the London side of things. Strange.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Looks like they've messed up then,haven't heard of any female cut offs yet
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    DT over on the sub 3:15 thread on here knows of someone else in a similar situation - was 39 and ran 2:59, will be 40 on race day and has got in, whereas others who ran 2:58 haven’t. It does sound like something wrong at the London side of things, which is a bit odd really.
  • Options
    Well I don't blame him, Ian - if I ever got back into the kind of shape where I could manage a GFA or BQ, I'd be crying tears of happiness.
    5 miles today, mostly in the dark. Glad the clocks are changing next weekend. Stuck with well lit main roads to begin with, and it's interesting that although I felt like I was running with the same energy, I got slower after I moved off the main roads because I naturally shortened my stride due to lower visibility.
    Legs did feel surprisingly bouncy given I trained them in the gym yesterday, but I could also feel some fatigue if that makes sense.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - previously GFA time was based on age on race day.   So even if only 49 during the qualifying period you could qualify for a V50 GFA by running the V50 time as long as you were 50 by race day.   Was common for runners to try harder to get a GFA time as they were moving up an age group.

Will be interesting to hear the outcome of that runner's application, does sound like they might have made an error re his DOB.

Why not splash out and book the accommodation you really want for Boston (it'll probably be less than the increase in your energy bills over the next year).   Think of the money you haven't spent on races/travel this year due to your long spell of injury.

TR - thanks.  I'll see you at Abingdon next year.   Hope you're fully recovered and back into your training.

Cal - now you've moved up an age group I'm sure you could get a GFA, you ran a lot faster than that a couple of years ago.

Same issue for me with the dark mornings, but I find when we change the clocks it makes little difference, a couple of weeks later just as dark.

5 easy miles this morning.   Had planned a rest day but I felt quite bright and breezy when I woke up.   Had a fairly decent run, still have a little DOMS in the quads but that's all.

Am getting quite excited about Dublin now, haven't been for quite a while but will be my 16th Dublin.  :)
  • Options
    Shades - Great write up and race. Seems like you’ve hit a purple patch no? You definitely can’t be tempted to use your GFA?

Ian/Big G - great news on the GFA and your OH Ian who seems quite gifted given her first marathon was less than 2 years ago now wasn’t it? No ballot place for me. Looks like I’ll definitely need to improve on my 14 second margin to ever get a chance to run it. 

Rob - Good news on the pass

Cal - Any news on your scan later in the year?

Cyprus been lovely and the girls are having a ball however OH and I continue to suffer with this bug. Thought I was past the worst of it and went out for 3 miles yesterday morning but then seemed worse in the evening/overnight with nasty congestion, so no running today. Annoying as want to build on race fitness but there we are. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I have plenty of time to consider using my GFA time, but no wish to run London again.

Sorry to hear you didn't get a ballot place, always seems more unfair when it is your local marathon. 

You're still early in your 'marathon career' and no reason why you won't continue to improve and that includes getting a faster GFA time.

For now, I would rest up if you're still not well and enjoy your holiday.   B)   It's dark and raining here  :(
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Clearly they have it wrong then,annoyingly that would mean I had a GFA for this years race,as I would have turned 50 before the race also.
    Rcouture-Yes,her first was 2020 I think,she has done amazing to get GFA after 4 races,and she has never ran previous to this really.