Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I received my Newport race number today.   :)

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Exciting Shades :)

Very tough Zwift race today. We started with a team of 6, and it’s fastest 4 to finish for the team competition. I actually got dropped today along with one other which hasn’t happened for quite a while, but it was a very strong team today.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Exciting Shades :)

Not as exciting/scary as my Connemara Ultra race number which is on its way to me 😲.

You're up early today 😉
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - I did wonder when those would arrive!! Getting close now. What number is this for you?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve  - it will be 407, providing I complete Great Welsh 406 on Sunday. 

Re Newport, I'm in blue wave (at the back), looks like there's 3 waves.    I expect you'll be in green wave at the front. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I meant to say,my next ultra will probably be a timed event,I like the idea if it.
    Shades-We are down in Southampton for daughters birthday and they kindly moved the half to this weekend so we are doing that.
    Big G-I'm sure you know,but if you book and don't turn up,some of those places charge unless you cancel.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I forgot Southampton was this weekend.    You'll want to beat your daughter and her fiance too then.  :)

We're short of road marathons and then we have Southampton, Brighton, Great Welsh and Guernsey all on the same day.   Probably a couple more too that I haven't mentioned 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes,I should win quite comfortably but the race for 2nd will be very hard fought,think OH will sneak it in the last mile.
    I went through half in Tokyo at 1:36 feeling fine,so hoping to go for 1:32,sounds realistic I think,even though its a bit tougher course.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    If only they'd move some of those to the Autumn!

Another gym (elliptical) day for me - the rash isn't too much of a bother but I have that odd vertigo-like feeling I sometimes get when run down, accompanied by some brain fog. I guess it's fatigue? Hard to describe, really - it's a bit like being drunk but without the euphoria. I hope it goes soon.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Cal/Big G-Thoughts on the parkrun change from this Saturday?
    * Important announcement - changes to parkrun starting this Saturday **
    As you are aware over recent months parkrun has been focussed on inclusion, and in particular increased involvement of walkers. The next stage is to begin to fully integrate the different strands of the parkrun family. From this Saturday parkrunners will be encouraged to line up at the start according to their expected finish time. Anyone with an anticipated finish time of sub 25 minutes must now start at the back with walkers at the front. This has been introduced to ensure that more of the slower runners and walkers get to experience the buzz and camaraderie of a busy finish funnel.
    To further support this change, the role of parkwalker and pacer is being merged. Pacewalkers, as they will be known, will start at the front of the field along with the walkers and slower runners. They will not be allocated a particular finish time, their pace will be adaptable to the group.
    Please understand that these changes are outside the control of your local team. If you have any issues with these new arrangements please contact the HQ lead officers for this matter - Gott Hugh, Jo King or their manager Flora Pilo.
    #loveparkrun

😁
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    It is April 1st on Saturday so obviously the above is appropriate....
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Cal Jones said:
    If only they'd move some of those to the Autumn!

Exactly.   I entered Newport when it was supposed to be held in Oct 2022 but they then moved it onto their usual spring slot.   As Newport is half owned by LME and Brighton wholly owned by LME it will be interesting to see if next year they move at least one of them to the autumn.

Ian/alehouse - that's a typical parkrun statement, so dull it's not even funny    ;)

5 miles today, very windy and a little light rain but it's been heavy rain during the night, lot of surface water around.

Big G - I think Tigg might not be so willing to go out the front door today.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I had seen that yesterday and was initially thinking ‘typical’ until I read the names at the bottom.  :) 

Shades, yes, very bad weather overnight and Tigg doesn’t want to go out at all.  I’m just about to head out myself - I need to embrace the rain incase it’s like this for Boston.  I feel it’s possible it’s going to kick off in New York regarding Trump, so I’m hoping there aren’t issues over there with protestors etc!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - these protests seem to be following you  ;)    

It's not cold out, so looks worse than it is.   
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Good luck this Sunday, I can't get my head around that many marathons!! I'm in white wave, which looks to be the first wave, but need to make sure I start away from the front! I'll probably try to stay behind the 3 hour pacer.
    Ian - Good luck at Southampton. Do you have a timed event in mind?

17 miles planned for tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just reading my race info for Sunday.   

In case anyone wants an early marathon in 2024, Great Welsh have announced their race date as 17th March 2024.   I haven't done this version of the route but instead of 2 laps this is an out for 14 miles and back on the same route skipping a loop done at the start, elevation is allegedly less than 400ft so that's very flat. 
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Sure you’ll be fine. NY/Boston is not exactly Trump friendly territory 😀

Shades - Still not used the ONs with this weather, silly really but they look so pretty lol

6 miles around the common before work. Was going to run in but couldn’t face the rain for that long. Meant I was a bit later than I’d like into the office but no biggie. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I didn't notice the white wave on the Newport map, thought green was the first wave.  :/ Have just looked at it again.

Rcouture - I wouldn't be keen on getting new shoes muddy either, don't mind if it rains though.

Not much fun getting into work soaked either, I'm sure you can catch up at work  :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I have a few stories actually. My mates think I’d be a good travel companion because I seem to narrowly avoid possible impending doom!  London, Tunisia and India I was in the vicinity shortly before terrorist incidents - in Tunisia I was in the museum the day before and India in a cafe/bakery a few days before (my colleague was in the same place a few hours before and it really, really shook him up). London I would have more than likely been underground but I missed my train from Ipswich so arrived in Liverpool St roughly 30mins or so later than planned, just as they were closing the barriers to stop entry into the underground.  You can probably imagine but it was total chaos, and I was trying to get from Liverpool St to Paddington.  From memory I think I walked about half and then managed to get a taxi, and amazingly trains from Paddington to Devon were running and I got a seat. I remember crowds of people stood outside places like Currys watching the news through the shop windows trying to figure out what was going on as mobiles weren’t working.  I found out later that Claire was extremely worried about me as she was calling me but not able to get through and I walked through the door and she burst into tears - I had been trying to call her as well and I had sent texts telling her I was fine, but they hadn’t arrived.  She had seen someone who looked a bit like me on the news, who was in a bad way.  Anyway, I’m hoping nothing kicks off with this Trump business, but it seems likely I think.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, hopefully I’ll miss any issues as he’s in court in New York this coming Tuesday I believe.  
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Let's hope that no one is fooled by that, Ian, or it'll be mayhem! 
    Shades, had a quick look at Chelmsford and it says it's hilly, so that's no good. (I'm not opposed to hills per se, but as I'm trying to get back towards a GFA, ultimately, a hilly marathon would be pointless. I might as well be doing an ultra). Despite my hatred of laps, Battersea's actually looking more and more viable...it'd definitely be the cheapest option (it's under 40 quid, even, and with only local travel and no overnight stay it makes the most financial sense). But those laps... On the other hand, I bet the support would be a lot better than Dorney, especially since I'll have clubmates there.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I see Bristol are starting to fly to Athens soon. I’ve fancied Athens marathon for some time so it makes that an easier possibility. The club are going Rome next year but flights from Bristol are very expensive for some reason, so I hope they come down a bit. Trotters have reluctantly cancelled Tenerife marathon for this year as the race hadn’t confirmed their race dates, and flights had become very expensive for the expected weekend. They had looked at other options for the same weekend but couldn’t make it work, so decided to cancel. I wasn’t going anyway but still a shame for those that were looking forward to it.   
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I hope you're not on MI5's list as 'one to watch' as often in the area of incidents  ;)

Re Trump, there's likely to be a long time after Tuesday's court appearance before the next legal proceedings I expect.

I've just deleted that email about flights to Athens.   One of the last marathons I'd want to do, I've heard it's pretty awful, highly polluted road from Marathon to Athens.

Shame about the Trotters trip but perhaps they shouldn't aim for sun destinations to get less fluctuation on air fares.  We are not going to have cheap flights for ever.

Unlikely I'll fly from Bristol to Frankfurt as very expensive.   I can travel to Heathrow, stay overnight in a £90 hotel and with flights still £100 less than it would cost  going from Bristol.

Cal - I don't think Chelmsford is hilly, I haven't done it but from memory I think it's about 800ft for the marathon.   Big G has run it, he's probably got the Garmin stats.

But if you're going to aim for a GFA or close to a GFA time then Battersea makes sense for such an attempt.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I'm actually looking at Battersea myself,fits with timings OK,and trains are quite easy to London,when they run.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - Battersea won't fall within the GFA range for London 2024 but should secure you a GFA time for 2025.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I’d also prefer really flat for a fast time so I’d probably go for Battersea too if that was my aim.  But just to say Chelmsford isn’t what I’d call really hilly though - I know the site mentions hills and the locals were saying it’s hilly on their Facebook page, but it really isn’t too bad. I’m saying that as someone who isn’t very good on hills, but I did a descent time for me when I did it. But yes, Battersea is definitely flatter!

Ian, I know of a hotel in a leafy green oasis 1 mile from Battersea if you’re interested….

Just under 11 miles for me, taking in my hilly and very scenic loop. The rain had died down a bit, but it was very windy, and the parts into the strong headwind were tough.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - are you on commission from that hotel?😉  Would be a good base for the race though. 

I'm staying at a Premier tomorrow night, had a weird email from them about letting them know if I was staying there for a special occasion.  If so they'd like to help me celebrate, tempted to say its my birthday to see if I get a cake.  However, I think they're chasing restaurant bookings.   

Too bad,  highly recommended chip shop half a mile away already researched and located.   Can't go to Wales and not have my favourite pre marathon meal of fish and chips. 

You'll need to do some hill training if you're thinking of doing Athens,  rolling hills I believe. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rest day for me today, driving to Wales later.

Just as well it's a rest day, this is what my usual Saturday running route looks like now

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm quite happy with my 4 min buffer for London 2024,we are looking at Barca again.OH wants to do it again.
    Steve-I have seen a track event in June,and a 6 hour in August also.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A new parkrun started today in Totnes - Sharpham Estate parkrun. It’s mainly on a narrow tarmac path,  is an out and back, and very hilly. Beautiful views over the River Dart though, and a very nice course. Pic doesn’t do it justice really. It means I maintain my DevDone status!