Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - I expect the entry fee is expensive so at least he'll get that refunded/deferred. 

It's always a dilemma with travel costs, opt for the cheapest and hope there's no need to cancel trip.  Or pay a bit extra for flexible flights etc., or be prepared to pay an amendment fee. 

I've often paid an amendment fee to change flights and occasionally I've just let them go.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well I know how that goes - I lost my flights to Japan and Chicago in 2020 - that was a lot of money.
  • Options
    Shade good news you can swap your race number at Connemara, the marathons between December and Halstead have kept motivation going but have stopped my flow when increasing mileage on longer runs.

bradders bad news about London, my friend is the same, all the training and her back isn’t playing ball.  The training is never wasted as it’s banked and can learn and improve on the next block.

big G enjoy New York! Your club mate must be gutted 2 years missing out.

Rcouture hope you’re enjoying your break

Cal the Tokyo flights were very unfortunate timing, had the race been a month or so later everyone was getting refunded.  Hope your lergie is clear, not that it matters but have you done any covid tests? 

Cricket on Saturday was good, elle wasn’t a fan as it was a slow paced 4 day county game.  So razzmatazz of a 20/20 game which she does enjoy. Felt sluggish/ sore throat yesterday, didn’t feel great waking up but went out down the river in the rain for 16.6 miles then got the train back, in time to watch local derby Ware vs Hertford on glorious sunshine.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that was such bad luck for you losing out on those flight costs.  Nobody could have imagined that anything could affect our racing and travel as the pandemic did.

I haven't looked at any long haul flights so not had to make the decision about refundable flights.   If I did I think I would ask myself would I still go if I was injured or race was cancelled.  

Robert  - with your marathons once a month I think you've been doing fairly well on the long runs in between races.

You seem to be busy enjoying your time off work.

6 miles this morning, nice morning, bit chilly.  Heavy rain and gale force winds later so I think I've had the best weather of the day.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Bradders - That is bad news. Hope you get the issue resolved though, so you can go again next year.
    Shades - Good news you can transfer to the marathon.
    Big G - Have fun!
    Rcouture - Have fun in Ibiza. One of my fav places!

Finished last week with a 13 miler on Saturday and 6 miles with strides on Sunday for a 43 mile week. Today was 7 miles with 2 at MP, those came out at 6:55/6:57, just ticking over from here.
  • Options
    Shades glorious weather here this morning… appears I picked the worst few hours for my run yesterday. 

London bound today for a murder mystery tour round pubs. Bit of light walking but other than that a rest day. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Not sure if you're still interested but Boston are playing Saturday in the playoffs,tickets currently about £110 on ticket master.
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Hi all, it’s been absolutely ages since I’ve posted but I can see lots of familiar people are still on the thread. I’ve been following some of you on Strava so I’ve seen some of the crazy/amazing running achievements but life is just so crazily busy (it seems to get worse!) that I never find time to actually post and I haven’t a hope of catching up.

Anyway, for those not on Strava, I’m still running. I’m slower (thanks menopause) but determined not to let that stop me. I’ve been trying to do 2 marathons a year and have a bucket list of races which seems to be getting longer. I ran New York with my sister last November (deferred from 2020) and that was absolutely amazing but still have a long way to go to get the 6 stars (so jealous of you Ian – can’t believe you ran them all within that short period of time). Some of you may remember I ran my first marathon (London) for charity just before I turned 40, and that was when I first posted on this thread and got such amazing support and help from Shades in particular. That was 10 years ago and I’ve tried to get into London again ever since and have failed. So this year I decided I was going to run it again for charity for my 50th (which is a few days after the marathon). I can see Ian and BigG are both doing London as well. Bradders - sorry to hear about your injury - that's awful timing.

This will be marathon #15. Training has gone reasonably well, apart from being depressingly slow but no major illnesses or injuries and I’ve managed to get all the long runs done. I just need to stay healthy now for the next 2 weeks and hope we don’t have a heatwave on the day. NY was far too hot and we all suffered as a result.

I’m very glad about the lighter mornings – it is really helping me get out early. This morning I was treated to several deer sightings – I haven’t seen them for a while but it is one of the perks of living in the Chilterns that I get to see some amazing wildlife at times.  Unfortunately, my luminous orange top scared them off as soon as I got close.

Shades / Steve – I see you are doing Newport on Sunday – I would be interested to hear what the course/organisation is like. On my bucket list is a marathon in each UK territory (+ ROI). I’ve got a place in the Loch Ness marathon in October so that will tick Scotland off!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Steve - your MP bodes well for a PB on Sunday 

Robert  - another busy day for you.   You're certainly not having a lazy holiday. 

Ian - £110 gulp, that's a lot of dosh.

Louey - how lovely to hear from you again.    I always think of you when Brighton marathon comes around and I did wonder if you were there this year with your meticulous mile splits 🙂

Can't believe it's 10 years since your first marathon.    I'll  put London and Loch Ness on the list.   Loch Ness is a great marathon, take something warm and disposable to wear as it can be cold at the start after you've put your bag on the van.

Pop back next week and Steve and I should be able to give you some info on Newport. 

And when it comes to choosing your Irish marathon ask away, I've done all the bigger races (multiple times) and a fair few of the smaller ones too.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Louey-Good to hear from you,I guessed you was doing London from Strava,hope it goes well.
    Had my London email through,I'm on Yellow,but I can't see where we start from? OH is on blue and we start 20 mins apart so can make our way together.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian  - I didn't know they had a yellow start.  Looks like the A is for access?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rob, no, not tested - I am very short of money so I'm not spending money on LFTs. Enjoy the murder tour.
    Ian, is yellow that little square above the blue triangle? That would be my guess.
    Louey - nice to hear from you. Yeah, menopause has caught up with me too. I ran a lot of PBs in the year after my 3D printer went offline but now, four years on, I'm struggling. Anyway, no option but to keep plugging away, right? 

Yesterday was a crap day - just a walk, but a lot of funny head feeling (it's really hard to describe - vertigo maybe? It's not light headedness or postural hypotension and it's not painful, and not normal dizziness but something along those lines, almost). I felt a bit better today and went for a very gentle 5 mile run (lovely weather) but the feeling came back. I had the same thing in November and it went away after a while so might be a post viral thing. Been feeling a bit wheezy too - wondering if I'm now sensitive to pollen in my old age. I've been sneezing a bit. I'd like to put it all down to maranoia but the shingles is definitely real. :lol: 
    Still, I've had a few races where I've been feeling crap or injured and then I've been great on the day, so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I didn't either,looks like it's an assembly area rather than a start line.Reading around it looks like we go off the red start,It looks like a very small assembly area though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal  - hope that woozy feeling clears up in the next few days. 

I believe tree pollen is moderately high right now. 

Ian  - you must be with the elite runners then 🙂   Smaller start area might mean less queue for the loo.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Louey - Good to hear from you. Yes, I'll let you know what Newport is like. Good luck for London.
    Big G - Also if interested Mario from The Morning Shakeout podcast is holding a few shakeout runs prior to Boston marathon.

Easy 5 miles with strides today to keep the legs ticking over.
  • Options
    morning Team, just logged in as we are sitting here wondering whether the forum is still a thing so delighed to see that Team Shades is still top of the lists.  Bobo and I are still alive and well and running, now living in Aberdeenshire (Kent was a lovely 30 years experience, but time for a bit of a change)!  Hi to all, have a fab day and brilliant to see the list of marathons above that you are all doing. xx
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely to hear from you PSC.   Good to hear you and Bobo are well, I've seen pics of Bobo running on FB, but not any of you running.

Next time I do Loch Ness marathon, won't be this year, I'll get in touch and maybe we can meet up, it's not that far away.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, I saw that about the tickets, but we’ve decided to give it a miss - I’m not a massive fan of the sport or anything and it’s too pricey for us with that in mind. I’m in green wave 2 for London, which I’m happy with in terms of the predicted 10:04-10:07 start time.  

Steve, thanks. I think I won’t run on the Sunday and if I manage a run on Saturday I expect it’ll be a parkrun. I think Kofuzi is doing one a shakeout as well but could be wrong on that.  

Shades, I didn’t say, but good news on the Connemara organisers getting you a place in the marathon rather than the ultra. 

Louey, great to hear from you :) Loch Ness is a great one, definitely one of my faves. NYC marathon is probably 3rd on my bucket list (IE, very high up as it’s a long list!), possibly behind Tokyo and Two  Oceans, although the order changed depending on whatever is in my mind at the time :)

Cal, sounds like you’re struggling a fair bit :( Hoping it all comes good. 

Robert, sounds like you’re having a good break!

PSC, I won’t be surprised if we get an email at some point saying the forums are going. But they’re limping along at the moment, which is good!

Loving it here in NYC. It’s just a bonkers place, but we’re getting around and seeing everything we want. Only trouble is we are walking a fair bit, which the foot isn’t loving, but I’m doing the best I can with managing it and keeping up the stretches etc, and we’re taking the subway for longer distances.  

We’re off to Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty today, and we’ll go over to Brooklyn to walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge. We went to a Cuban place last night for dinner and probably going China Town tonight. Went up Empire State Building yesterday, which was really good. The explanation/museum part of it was great, as well as the views from the top. Went up Rockefeller the day before just around sunset and got this of ESB.

Didn’t run yesterday but managed about 7 again this morning.  Unlikely to run tomorrow but hopefully I’ll run Friday, before catching the train to Boston at around lunchtime. Only trouble is the heat - it’s 30 here in NYC tomorrow, 28 today, which is way too hot for me for running well.  It’s due to cool on Monday in Boston thought with possibly some light rain.  

Had a totally bizarre interaction on my run today though. A chap overtook me and turned around as he ran past and said (in a British accent) “Are you from Torquay?” I said “errrm, yeah, why?”, and he said “I recognised your running style and I see you out loads!” We wished each each other well and he ran on. No idea who he was but my distinguished (ie crap) running style is obviously world famous. :) 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - that's hot after a British winter.    Sounds like you're having a great time.    Try and limit the time on your feet, must be more tiring in the heat too.

That's spooky about the Torquay runner, it's a small world at times. 

Great photo. 
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    BigG – for some reason I hadn’t twigged at all that you are running Boston! I saw you were in NY but just assumed you were there on a holiday. I loved NY – so many things to see/do, but it is incredibly expensive (even more so than London). Did you get into Boston on a GFA time or another route? I am plotting how to get places in the other majors. I am also wondering what is so distinctive about your running style that makes you recognisable 1000s of miles away from home. 

Cal – I’m sorry about the shingles – that sounds absolutely rubbish. Hopefully you will feel better soon. I remember you got some really fast times at one point (I can’t now remember what training you were doing that made the difference). I am not a fan of getting old at all. I’m hanging onto the fact that my age-grade rating is pretty much the same. 

Shades – I haven’t done Brighton for a few years – it got very expensive and there were a number of issues around measurement of the route and lack of water that put me off. So I signed up to do MK in 2020 which obviously got postponed (twice) and I ended up running that one finally in 2022. I had a very quick google about Newport and have seen that it’s flat so that might be next Spring’s marathon (although I’m also looking at Copenhagen). Even though I live in a hilly area and run a lot of hills, I’m still very bad at them and definitely would rather not do a hilly marathon! 

Ian – you will have a lovely easy start in yellow. I’m obviously in with the masses in the blue start although last time I ran London they didn’t have the waves they do now so I am hopeful it won’t be as slow at the start. 

Run commute this morning – just over 5 miles from Euston station around Regent’s Park and then to the office. I love this time of year, light mornings (and evenings) and trees coming into blossom. Although I still needed my gloves this morning as it was only 4 degrees!

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Louey-I have done Newport and its very flat,be good to hear an updated report.
    Big G-Great pic,I found the Statue a little boring,not masses to see but that may have been me.
    Boston is on Eurosport on Monday afternoon amd I'm off so I'll very watching,weather had turned a bit now but last year it changed lots of times in the last few days for me.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Louey, I qualified for Boston and London as I managed a qualifying time last year at Seville (just over a min too slow for NYC). I’m not in that shape though as I’ve had an injury (still do). 

Went through security to board the ferry today and my garmin strap snapped!  Need to get a new one before Monday. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Louey - hopefully Brighton marathon will improve now that London Marathon have taken over the event.   Brighton will always be expensive re accommodation, parking etc.

One of our regulars on here, Rcouture, ran Copenhagen last year and ran a good PB there.   He's on his hols now, should be back on the thread in a few days.   Or if you have absolutely nothing to do, you could page back to his report  ;) mid May 2022

I agree, lovely time of year for morning runs.  May is my favourite month as just a bit warmer, chilly this morning here too.

Big G - lucky your Garmin didn't go overboard, you're in the right place for a spot of shopping to replace the strap.

Hope you can stay off your feet now and rest that foot until race day.

6 miles for me this morning.    Took the taping off my knee last night, it had been on for 12 days and was starting to look stretched but wasn't frayed or coming off.   Definitely the best kinesiology tape I've ever had. Knee has been fine so ran without the taping this morning but it started to grumble for the last 2 miles.   Will tape knee up again today.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Sounds like you are having a great time. How strange someone recognised you so far from home in such a big city!
    Shades - Good news on the knee.

4 miles yesterday afternoon. Easy 7 miles this morning (120 bpm HR average). Short run on Saturday, then Sunday race!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, we’ve still got a few plans as we do want to explore whilst we’re here as well, but I’m managing it as best I can. It feels pretty good today even though I ran yesterday and walked a fair bit as well.  

I’ve managed to do a rudimentary ‘fix’ of the strap but hoping to get a replacement today. On the flight we were given headphones and I’ve reattached the strap using the cord from that and it is holding well. Looks a mess but hoping to get a replacement today. Garmin aren’t mentioned on the Boston expo website, but someone had mentioned they’re usually there. 

Steve, yes, really strange yesterday. Probably 100s of runners out on a 6 mile loop around the park, and then a guy from Torquay runs past me who recognises me, but we don’t actually know each other’s names. As he ran on he was kind of shaking his head in disbelief.  What’s your max HR as a matter of interest?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - short run for me tomorrow and rest day on Saturday.   Weather conditions are looking good for us on Sunday.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Max is around 175 I think from when I had it measured.
    Shades - Yes, have been checking the weather, and I must say it's looking like good weather to run a marathon!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it doesn't matter what the strap repair looks like as long as it works.   If you can't get a strap in time tape it on for the race, KT tape is so useful for lots of things.   ;)

That's better news re the foot.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    This is my handiwork. Lucky the strap didn’t break up by the watch itself.