Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Louey the smaller events are friendly, people turn up and run a lap for the love of the medal.  I needed a race, I had a free entry and the medal persuaded me.  Well done on the recovery run! 

Shades hope the feet are feeling better soon! 

Ian saw one of my club mates finish in 3:38 behind gabby too, must have been quite near him.

Big G I remember being disappointed by the goody bag at London, do you still get a goody bag at the expo? Used to get a can of London pride but they stopped doing that.  Love the Boston pin and car sticker.

Didn’t go for a recovery run as was raining all evening when light.  Did get in the pool for the first time in 2.5 years for 40 lengths (1km). 

Plan to run 3 miles there and back to WJ beginners course and help buddy this evening.  

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Louey - Good run at London. I actually prefer the early morning runs, nice to run with the roads so quiet!
    Ian - No, don't think I'll get another race in for GFA, well don't plan to anyway. I've got a 6 hour event in September, then not sure what I'll do next year, was thinking of doing a 50 miler, but now need to decide if I want to race another marathon to see if I can go faster!
    Shades - As an FYI - I noticed by watch HR (so not 100% accurate) had my marathon average as 152 bpm, which is right around where HADD says it should have been (25 bpm off max - approx 175), so clearly the effort was right!

Anyway, very easy 3 miles this morning at 10 min mile average to get the legs moving again, left quad a bit sore, but otherwise OK.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I was on TV as well. Trotters were playing ‘whose legs are these?’ and then I appeared behind Gabby as she was doing something to camera as I finished. :) 

Shades, I think I may have got rid of the NDVM number, although it wasn’t in the post when I came home. Have you got yours yet?  I did mention on the Facebook post I did that I was race number 1 :) 

Ian, that’s incredible doing the Boston-London double like that. I have seen maybe 2 or 3 go quicker or about the same time, and maybe another 2 or 3 quite a bit slower (like me!). Was briefly trying to think what I’d change, if anything, to make London a bit better?  Really not sure. Thursday I was very tired but slept well that night and woke up feeling pretty fresh on Friday. Friday was a late night with the theatre and then we went out for a meal, and Saturday I was more tired than I’d ideally like, but I’m still glad we went to the theatre, so not sure I’d change anything there. Sunday I was tired when I woke up, but was actually fairly calm on the way to the race and in the starting area, but soon after I got going I just felt it was going to be a hard day.  Still glad I got to do the double though so on the whole I wouldn’t change much, except maybe just chill out a bit more on the Saturday, and maybe not set the alarm for parkrun and just lay in.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X post Robert,  All we came away with at the London expo was the clothes bag, the race number and 4 pins for the number. At the finish was the shirt, water, lucozade and a flapjack in the bag. I think that was it.  Medal was hung around neck separately. For Boston the shirt and bits I posted earlier were in the expo bag (along with Gatorade and some other samples of stuff) and then at the finish a bag with more Gatorade, water, crisps, and some sweetbread, and medal hung around neck.  But Boston is about 4 times the price!  But I think at least part of that was the security costs. They were pretty on it this year, I think possibly a bit nervous about the 10 year anniversary. OH was about half a mile from the finish and got her bag checked thoroughly, lots of police out.  Not sure if this is normal since the bombings but it was quite noticeable along the route as there were a lot of police in attendance.  

One thing I did notice in the Boston official program was something along the lines of ‘if you need ambulance care or are sent to hospital, you will pay the bill’….. (I’m paraphrasing but it was along those lines). Probably partly explains the cost of my travel insurance and I’m glad I specifically got some with marathon cover. I’m going Chicago in October so the same policy will cover that in any case. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Must be tempting to have another go especially as you are closer to sub 3 and another block should get you there.
    Big G-London bag was poor,I've had better at my local cheap 10k,think some more snacks or something should be in especially as you have a fair walk to get anywhere, I packed us some in our lorry bag luckily.
    Shades-What makes you think there will be more GFA next year? If there is mine will be tight as I'd only have 30seconds on last years accepted times but OH will be fine.
    Not sure of our plans for next year,she's never been interested in Boston,but now she's heard people she knows have done it and she has the time I think she'll get tempted over the next few months,she is only 3 mins under so could be close.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Big G - I’ve used Maurten gels for last 3 marathons and they are rocket fuel compared to the other stuff I’ve tried. Downsides are that the texture takes some getting used to and they have no electrolytes but I use 500ml of tailwind and SIS gels for that. 

Steve - Great run and PB. We must be in the same age bracket as I got a similar time in Chicago which is also largely a BQ but only just a GFA (mine is a whole 14 seconds 😀).

Louey - Great run. I’ve yet to manage a Shades special post-mara recovery outing. 

Ian - Your OH really is smashing it. What is the next race?

Shades - Sorry to hear it was a tough outing for you but good that the knee is ok

8 miles into the office this morning. So many runners along the Thames now that it’s sunny and warmer. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert  - I think races are finding it much harder to get sponsorship and freebies for goody bags etc., with all the price increases.   

Swimming must be quite helpful for avoiding DOMS after a race. 

Steve  - that's interesting that your average HR for the race was what Hadd advises.   At least you know now what HR is right for you during a marathon as you were strong to the end.

Big G  - I've only got as far as watching the Reason to Run programme for London.   I'll let you know if I spot you in the race coverage. 

Yes, my NDVM number has arrived,  I haven't opened the envelope yet but my race number is printed on the address label so I know that's what it is. 

Incidentally re Eilish and the sponsorship issue for London.    There's a new rule allowing athletes 2 logos on their vests and Lucozade Sport kicked off about her SIS logo.   Lucozade are big sponsors of London. 

Ian - re GFA entries for next year... because London returning to the Spring date and runners now more prepared.  Back into training routines and setting goals etc.  I haven't looked at the stats on RunBritain to see how results so far are stacking up. 

Rcouture  - I meant to say a couple of days ago that your interval training is a good way to get that bit of speedwork done and adds some variety to your training. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - RunBritain have not yet had London results.  Updated with Newport and Manchester results. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-We don't have any plans yet,may do Chester half in 4 weeks,as it should be another PB for her.
    Shades-It will be interesting to see how race numbers change also,if they stay low there may be similar,from people I know,Manchester was slower than usual so could be slightly less,London seemed similar to normal,as it ends in September,apart from Berlin that's the most of the big number races done now.
    I just entered the ballot,it says results by End of June so they are getting quicker at it now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a lot earlier for the ballot results isn't it.    Of course now they have Brighton to offer to unsuccessful ballot entrants too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I don't look very happy but you can see the lovely weather and the gorgeous scenery 😍 

• Options
    Big G London probably use the green argument for not clogging up goodie bags, which is a valid point.  It’s the medical that pushes the cost of travel insurance in US, we are so lucky in the UK! 

Rcouture although it was sunnier we had to scrape ice off the car here this morning! 

Ian i noticed the end of June date for London too, that’s much better than waiting till October.  Hopefully Boston will be okay with all gfa accepted this year. 

Shades stunning scenery!!! I’m sure my inbox will be spammed about Brighton marathon following my ballot rejection.  Imagine Edinburgh marathon will lose out, I ran that after getting a ballot rejection in 2014.

7 miles in total tonight 3 miles each way to ware joggers and 1.5 miles running with the beginners course at Ware Joggers.  Legs still tired but moving okay. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - London marathon also have a 50% share in Newport marathon so another marathon that they can guide those that have been rejected from London ballot towards.

Not sure Edinburgh has the same appeal within the running community, most runners know of the problems they have had/still have and don't really want to go back.   But Edinburgh will still do well, it's popular with the Scots and tourists.

Good news on the legs recovering well.

5 miles today, found some blister plasters.   I knew it was a long time since I'd needed them, the expiry date is 2018!  Slapped one on and was able to run OK.

However, I discovered this morning when moving my race shoes that it may not have been the vast amount of walking that I did that caused the blister, it's my shoes.   You can see from the photo the heel tab has worn through causing a rough spot, and wearing through on the other foot too.  I can tape the shoe so will be fine for training but won't race in them again.

I will have to use my Nova 2's for this weekend's race.   I've checked the heel tabs on the Nova 2's and they are not showing any sign of wear.   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Regarding shoes, one thing I did notice, especially in Boston, was people walking around in their race shoes in the days before the race. There were quite a few in Boston walking around in plated shoes and it was quite noticeable as I even pointed it out to OH. I didn’t notice so many in London, but there were some. Maybe it is people trying to squeeze items into hand luggage on a flight, so they take one pair of shoes for the trip?  Does anyone here do this?  I always just run in running shoes (except when they’re retired and I wear them for gardening or something, or walking to/from a race ), and don’t wear them for just general walking about. 

Having said that, at the opposite end, there were a small number runners who wore a throwaway/old pair of shoes to the Boston start, and then presumably changed into their race shoes as they walked into the starting area. Not many though. You could tell as they had their race shoes slung over their shoulders. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm the same as you.   I would never consider wearing my race shoes for travelling to a race, or on days prior to a race, or on the days after.  Only exception is if I'm driving to a race on race day.   
    Imagine if there's heavy rain during the race and then having to wear those shoes the next morning as they don't dry out that quickly.

Taking a throw away pair of shoes to the race start is a good idea.   It doesn't look easy to negotiate steps etc wearing carbon plated shoes and it's a great idea if it happens to be raining as you don't want to start a race with wet shoes. 
  • Options
    morning peeps.  Just had a read back and loved reading the various reports I found during the last 150 posts.  I thought I would give you all a laugh... after 5 years in "retirement", ie getting fat and unfit, I've (a) joined a running club - my first ever, (b) entered Bobo and I into the Loch Ness Mara (Oct) and (c) found 2 rather dusty spreadsheets on my computer named..... [drum roll please] ....Level_1_Marathon_Training_Plan.xls and Level_2_Marathon_Training_Plan.xls!  My goodness, Shades you must have sent us those over 15 years ago!  Now to find some trainers!  The posts above re older shoes is quite apt in the context of the latest leg of my journey back to marathon-fitness!  Most of my old trainers have been retired from running and walked to death. Have fun out there!
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Great pic. Landscape looks amazing. How many miles are on those scuffed shoes?

Big G - I don’t wear plated shoes for anything but racing, especially given how much they cost! I wear daily trainers home from work due to logistics and at times in the afternoon when I’ve no meetings. A few people at the office have commented at how many pairs of ‘flash’ trainers I have which I think amuses folks as I’m otherwise very boring in business attire. 

8 miles into the office this morning. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I seen a fair few at London in race shoes,I presumed it was for the same reason,hope they had a spare pair to travel home in as mine were drenched.
    I have wore mine travelling to local races but that's all.
    PSC-Obviously you're an OG shadie,what's your history for those of us who don't know you?
    Shades-That's not great on the shoes,guess you don't have many miles if they're still for racing?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    PSC - Wow, is this a mid life crisis perhaps? 😉  That's great news you've finally joined a running club and entered Loch Ness marathon with BoBo.   

Now, the Shades training plans remain unchanged so no need to ask for an updated version as there isn't one.

Good luck with choosing your running shoes, so many to choose from now.

Please keep us updated on the training.   

Rcouture  - mileage on those shoes is about 160 miles, so not much.   Very disappointed with this happening as that will put me off buying them again even though I do love them for my races.  I do find the v3 slightly roomier in the toe box which for me is better when racing.   But I have 3 pairs of v2 so I can manage for now.

It does tempt me to order those Cloudsurfer shoes now as a possible future race shoe.

Nothing wrong with having a reputation for 'flash' trainers.    I have visions of you sitting quietly at your desk in a classy subdued designer suit.  Then when you walk across the office you're wearing dayglo trainers.   😲
  • Options
    LOL, Shades, not my first mid-life crisis and wont be the last! I can see that the Shades Training plan wouldn’t need updating - it worked perfectly, many times for us both over many years and events!  :-)

Ian5 - I’m a bit old school.  My wife (Bobo) and I discovered this thread back in 2005 I think and were regular contributors.  I fell off the forum when Bookface took over and then stopped running maras/short ultras when work got too much about 5 years ago.  I’ve kept my hand (or feet) in with a few runs and lots of time hanging around triathlon events as an umpire or as a sports/event photographer, but it’s not the same as sticking a safety pin in your tummy and toeing the startline with lots of other intrepid runners.  :-). So, time for a comeback/mid life crisis!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    PSC - I take it you and BoBo are both retired now?  Living the good life.  🙂
  • Options
    Oh yes… and it is just that, a good life!  Not sure I’ve got the veg patch to emulate the TV series, but otherwise we fit the bill!  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    PSC - unlikely you'll have the energy to dig a veg patch when marathon training  ;)

Rest day for me today as I've developed a niggle in my hip.  I had a pain there on Sunday for about a mile during the marathon and then it just went away.   Brief fleeting twinge during yesterday's run, nothing after the run, went out in the car, shopping etc.   But later in the day I walked down to a local shop, up and down some steps, all fine but after I got home and sat down to lunch it was niggling and wouldn't go away.   Took a painkiller and it eased off.   This morning I can feel it but only very slightly.

Tomorrow I'll do a short run in my Nova 2's and see if they are OK with my blister, which is healing nicely.   Knee is OK, not 100% but manageable. 

Apart from all that I'm fine  :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - have you any marathons for May planned?   I want to put the list up today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - That does look very scenic!

Another easy 3 miles today. Foam rolled my leg yesterday evening which seems to have eased the quad soreness.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I do have a marathon planned but I’ve not yet ran since London!  My right foot feels bruised across the top and although it’s easing I just wanted to test it before confirming any other events.  It won’t be today but hopefully tomorrow or Saturday.  Also, and it may be the recent death that is playing on my mind, but my chest feels tight and sore. I actually think it’s just muscle soreness still from London (it did take a lot out of me despite the poor time!), plus I travelled with a backpack so carrying that probably didn’t help, but I find it easier in other ways so usually prefer it.  But I’d like that to ease a bit more, which it is doing. It’s Salzburg I’ve got pencilled in though - 21 May - but everything is cancellable if I need to, except the flights.  Stick it on the list as I’m very hopeful of doing it, but the above is my reasoning if I may not ;) 

Got rid of my North Dorset place yesterday at Trotters, and transfer all confirmed. It’s good the number is being used and I got some cash back. The number arrived in the post yesterday so it worked well, although the RD said the person could claim a different number at HQ if mine didn’t show up on time to exchange it.  

I had to go over to the club last night to welcome a new member, and it was actually really nice.  Loads of people came up to me (I mean probably 20 or 30 people), shaking my hand, hugging me, slapping me on the back etc, just asking me about the races, Boston in particular. I hadn’t realised how many people were tracking me, but it seems it was quite a lot! I hadn’t really talked about it much except to a small number of people as all the way up to it I was worrying about my foot etc, but quite a few had taken an interest it seems. I’ve done loads of doubles before, but this one seems to have resonated and although I know loads of people have done the Boston-London double, people were really interested last night. There were a decent number who stayed for the meal last night after training as well, so it was a good evening.  You know me - I can talk running all day and night, and that’s basically what we did :) 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I can recommend the ultra too at Connemara if you fancy it.   The scenery is epic for all 39.3 miles.

Big G - I think the death of a marathon runner always gives us a bit of a wake up call, as does seeing the carnage of a bad road accident and the thought haunts us for a while.

I've put Salzburg on the list, easily removed if necessary.

Good your NDVM transfer is sorted.   She's very efficient, I cancelled once at fairly short notice and got a refund less a couple of quid, which was good of her.

I've just been reading the race info and pleased to see there's a 6.5 hour time limit if I should need it.   And that saucisson and mini Cheddars still on offer at the 2 last drink stations   :)

Hope you're back running soon and you're just having a wobble  ;)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Short run for me this morning, had planned to do 5 miles but my hip pain is there and is constant, so only did 2 miles.  Before my run was probably only a 1/10, did some stretching no reaction, just felt it a bit more on leg swings.   Up to a 2 to 3/10 when running so not bad, but it's there all the time and quite wearing.   Not sure I could manage a marathon like that.   It's like having a dull headache that won't go away.   I ran in my Nova 2's and couldn't feel my blister so that was good.

So a probably DNS for me on Sunday.   Going on the ibuprofen until lunchtime tomorrow and then I'll make a decision.   Disappointing, one of my favourite marathons and I'll miss the hog roast too.

In other news, I ordered a pair of the On Cloudsurfer 7 shoes yesterday 😃