Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Oh Rob that's a rotten run of luck. I hope you can resolve the internet stuff. Did you get the money back?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - reassuring no further twinges, hope GP's call goes well.

Robert  - Steve has cherry picked his events for his own preference, which is fine as he wants certain stats for a Guinness Book of Records world record.    Nothing wrong with that but it's not his 1000th marathon, he posted some time ago when he'd hit that total. 
    When a friend of mine was doing her 500th some time ago, at an event I wouldn't normally have done, I was happy to enter the event,  2 hotels at non saver rates plus a 7 hour drive to get there.    Then I discovered she'd actually done her 500th a couple of weeks before.   I was so cross.  To me that is a despicable form of cheating, your 100th should be your 100th, your 500th should be your 500th.    I cancelled the whole weekend, cost me £150+.

Have you entered any events in January?

That's really bad news on your email being hacked.  FB is very unsafe and they will do nothing to sort out hacked accounts. 

Just walked down to Argos to return second faulty radio.   Lovely morning, perfect running weather 😭

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That is really bad luck, Robert. What a nightmare to try and sort out. 

Settled on 7 and had a nice run. Short sleeved shirt, gilet and gloves, and I enjoyed it. A very still day and the bay looked great. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    6.5 miles this morning, including parkrun and had a reasonable run out. 3 more parkruns to go this year to get to my 50 for the year. I think next year I’m going to not do some early ones (or maybe volunteer instead) as although parkrun has kept me going this year, it has on occasion been a a bit of a bind, once I realised around June that 50 was possible.
  • Options
    3.6 miles here feeling fine despite yesterdays works xmas dinner etc. I was good and was home 9pm ;) THey were confuesd i went home when i said i was unlike normal when its well after midnight.
    This is cos off to mothers later on so wanted to be reasonably with it.
    Just had quick look at todays Zwift and if i can squeeze it in will finish the Paris ones off as i dont fancy the France ones right now.Wee bit of climb on them like er 1200 metres in 21k or so
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - it's not like races, if you wanted to do 50 a year you wouldn't have to commit to every Saturday,  you could race mid week or on Sundays.   Why did you want to do 50 parkruns a year?

Keith - they'll be calling you Cinderella  ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - I see Lanzarote Marathon have done a press release on Brian's 1500th marathon, so was officially recognised.    I thought they would do something as 100 club are loyal supporters of this event. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, regarding the 50 events, it is just a challenge that some parkrunners do and there are challenges for 30, 40 and 50 events in a year, and I’ve not done 50 before.  There are loads of different parkrun challenges, some of which are quite obscure.  When I haven’t been running much due to the foot, parkrun has helped ensure I’ve at least done something running related and from that point of view it is has been helpful, also in light of the fact I’ve not raced much. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    Shades-I seen that,hoping it was CJ Ujah as that was around the same time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I agree, hope it is Ujah and not another athlete.

Any luck in the club draw?

OKish sleep last night, bad night the night before.   Recovery is really slow but I'm going to the gym this morning and will just do 30 minutes light work.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Trotters Xmas do last night at Finlake, which is kind of like a local Center Parcs.  Really good location for it and it was a good turnout too. We didn’t stay late but it was nice seeing all the awards to the worthy winners for various things. Probably I’m biased, although I have nothing to do with the awards night at all, but Trotters do this stuff very well I think.  Tickets were only £15, but there was a decent buffet, live band, all the awards etc, so really good value as well. OH came with me for the first time and we had a good night. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that sounds like a good venue for a do.

I just put Funchal on the Shadies list.   I'm sure you don't need reminding that it's only 5 weeks away 😉

Did a gentle 30 minutes in the gym, all OK, plus the walk there and back.    Saw quite a few runners out, lovely morning for running. 

Second breakfast just consumed.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yeah, let’s see if this revolutionary recent running routine of mine will pay dividends….. I think we all know the outcome though!  It’s going to be horrendous :) 

Last 7 weeks have been 19, 3, 3, 4, 3, 6, 27. And foot still isn’t right, which is not helping matters. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - I'm sure it's not going to be horrendous.   At least you're over that cold/virus now and feeling better. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Didn't win the ballot place,am second reserve but unlikely so other options now being discussed
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Bad luck Ian.   Time for plan B 
  • Options
    Well I am proper sick. Cold I think rather than Covid - started as a dry cough then became a wetter cough and then all the rest - aches, nasal drip, sneezing. I felt ill enough to skip parkrun yesterday - I might've been tempted to walk my local if it didn't have a lot of standing water, but it does so I didn't even go out.
    I've had a short walk today but I'm still coughing so not sure when I will be back running again. I hope it sods off in time for Christmas.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Cal.  You have a week to recover.   

Are you heading north for Christmas?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    13 today including 4 of my big hills,felt ok but purposely kept it really slow while I'm building the miles up.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian  - that's a decent run today.  

I expect you've got a manic week at work to get through now. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes,it's strange though it's a crazy week,but I don't do horrific hours as we have everyone in and they all have a short week the week after.
    38m for last week,so I'm happy with that.
  • Options
    Shades - yes I'm going Friday.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - didn't take you long to get up to a decent week's mileage.

Cal - good, you have a few days to get yourself better before heading north then.

3 weeks since I've run, I have severe cabin fever.   

So this morning I put my kit on and went out for a brisk 3 mile walk, furthest I've been able to walk.   I wanted to do it early in the morning so I can walk without any stoppages for road crossings and traffic etc.  Really enjoyed it, perfect morning and the birds were singing their heads off, it was lovely.   I'm still not able to run, still walking with a slight limp, so running is out of the question for now.  
  • Options
    Wee test this morning and if i turn on HR broadcasting on the garmin it runs via phone onto Zwift which then triggers both Strava fitness/freshness updating and Garmin training load. Hopefully give me a better idea of how it will feed into fitness levels.
    Not so sure cycling instead of running going to make my dodgy hip any better or not mind ;) Can figure tht one out once the winter NHS chaos backs off a bit plus under treatment for a fungal overgrowth issue anyway.
    Next task is acquiring a 4 bar extension cable with indivdual on off switches so i dont have to keep unplugging zwift when finished as the cable also runs wifi router.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Great news that you could get out today,hopefully is the start of progress.
    I usually feel comfortable getting to high 30's then will slowly build from there.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - what have you done to your hip?

Ian - it was great to get out today, did me the world of good.   Am suffering a bit for it now but it will wear off.   I'll go out again on Wednesday morning, tomorrow will be early food shop 😲
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Just an easy 5 miles today. Too many mince pies already means I’m feeling a bit f(l)at, but it was okay. Only 5 as I’m running tonight with the club. It’ll be a slow interval session of sorts, as it’s a hilly approx 5 miles, but stopping at 4 or 5 houses for….mince pies! 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - ha ha.  Of course you're going to the club run for the running.    The mince pies are just incidental 🤣

Can't remember the last time I ate a mince pie, not keen on them.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Bit healthier than our club run on 23rd,festive 12,which isn't 12 miles,but 12 pubs to have a half(alcohol or non) or short in each 1,route is approx 9 miles.