Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Finish time is around 10.20 tonight I think.
    This seeks to update the most frequently I've seen
    https://marathonhandbook.com/live-updates-2024-barkley-marathons/
    Really hope Paris does it,be great to see her finish it.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    All on time today. 9:50am flight, which currently goes within 900 miles of the North Pole. Got a pic of Fuji and a good one over Iceland. 

We’ve had a great time in Japan. It is a great country, but we’ve only scratched the surface in some ways. No regrets at all on what we did or didn’t do - we couldn’t do everything. But if we do go back I’d expect it’s be very different as we’d travel to different islands, even possibly hire a car on Shikoku for 7-10 days. 

Having thought about it, I probably won’t do Tokyo marathon again. I’m glad I’ve done it and I suppose never say never, but it’s a pain to get in to and if we go back and I want to do a marathon, I’d probably choose a different one (Osaka or Nagano for example). But it’s been a fantastic trip, and I feel very lucky to have been there so long. It’s flown by. 

Just on coach back. Managed to get on one 3hrs earlier than we’d booked for a small fee, so jumped at that. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Big G.    Is that top photo Iceland?  Beautiful shot.

Hope neither of you suffer too much with any jetlag.

Tigg will be very pleased to find out you didn't desert him after all. ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good news on snagging an earlier coach.Sounds like you had an amazing time and a great holiday,now back to reality.
    7 very windy miles today,nothing to report which is good.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, according to the map on the plane, we were over Iceland when I took that.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    12 hours gone on the last loop,Jasmin is well on her way to a finish according to some pics I just seen.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Jasmin made it with 99 seconds to spare,absolutely incredible. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    What an amazing achievement by Jasmin, sensational.   

I'm used to my sciatica niggling and giving me an uncomfortable and restless last couple of hours in bed, not every night but a couple of times a week.   In the early hours of this morning it wasn't my sciatica that woke me but the DOMS in my quads, so uncomfortable and sore.   I wasn't looking forward to my run as I knew it was going to be a tough one, not helped by a very cold night and only a 'feels like' of 1 degree when I went out.  Just when I could do with a warm morning as my leg muscles hate the cold.   I managed 5 miles, heart rate stayed very low as it does after a tough leg session.   

I only have 5 exercises in the gym at the moment for legs/glutes, sciatica limits me from having any more.   I always start on the angle leg press.   Some thoughtless lazy idiot hadn't removed the plates after he'd finished and 2 x 25kg plates were left on.   I can't lift off those plates, they're too heavy for my back and they're awkward to lift and stack.   I usually just find a bloke to lift them off for me, but there wasn't anyone there to ask.  50kg is my top weight at the moment, which I do the last set on.   So I decided to go straight onto 50kg and see how I got on, I managed all 5 sets of 15, my legs were shot afterwards but I was able to do the rest of my session OK.   Glutes were feeling it yesterday but quads seemed OK until I woke this morning.
    They're still sore now. 

Gym later, upper body today.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I have deferred my entry to Connemara marathon until next year.    Slightly wistful seeing this today, race packs posted to overseas runners.  IMHO this is a must do race for any marathon or road ultra runner.
    Interesting to see more French runners than Brits this year.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Was absolutely rooting for Jasmine - absolutely incredible. The little video of her finishing was real lump in the throat stuff. She really did give it everything she had.

Big G - I liked the deer sign. :lol:

Not run all week but hip actually got worse - I don't think it likes walking and rehab much.
    I did do a parkrun today with Tunde - Southall, which I'd done before and he hadn't. It's a nice flat tarmac one so not wet like Tooting. Couple from my club were also there, which was nice. I did my fastest run with this current injury, though that's not saying much. I'm rather lacking aerobic fitness.
    I'm volunteering at my club's annual race tomorrow - thankfully at RaceHQ and not marshalling as I have been in the past. Might get to eat some cake this time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's not good news about your hip.   A rethink on the right sort of rehab maybe as the walking isn't helping?

I'm not doing much walking as I'm not finding that helpful either.  I walk to and from the gym, just under 2 miles round trip and that's enough.   But fortunately I'm able to run everyday, for just about an hour and that's ideal for base training.  My waking RHR is back to my normal range of 49-52 and although I can't increase distance at the moment my running pace is improving by a few seconds per mile each week.

5+ miles this morning.   Thankfully DOMS has eased to a heavy tiredness now so had an OK run.   

I was kept very busy with the wildlife watch today.   Saw a baby rabbit, very small and scared, first one I've seen this year.   I saw a buzzard too, quite close to me, about 20 feet, fortunately this was a long way from the bunny otherwise there would only have been one survivor.   Ran on the elevated section of road and once again the deer were in the same field again, only 2 of them this time.   In the next field were about 10 swans and on the other side of the field a flock of about 30 Canada geese.   Got to my turnaround point, turned off my Garmin to cross the road and heard a great spotted woodpecker, looked up and he was in a large dead tree.   Only the 2nd time I've seen one of these and the first time I've managed to see one in a tree, we hear them all the time but not see them.
    On the way back the deer moved into the field with the geese and swans and the geese chased the deer away.

Also saw my first lambs of the year, late because I can't run so far out to farming country.   Plus it's been very wet which isn't good for lambs.   The lambs I saw today were a few weeks old and at the stage of teaming up with the other lambs and playing.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Eurgh. Don’t know if I’ve picked something up on the plane or what, but feeling pretty miserable in terms of a bad cold. Blocked nose, feeling nauseous, hot then cold. OH too. Probably the fact I didn’t sleep too much for a couple of days isn’t helping matters but regardless I’m hoping it clears up soon. Not a good reception for our housesitters as we were coughing and spluttering most of the time they were here with us. They left late yesterday though, although we now have the usual post-holiday stuff to do, but frankly we can’t be arsed!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - oh no, have you tested for Covid?    I see quite a few travellers coming home from overseas with a dose of Covid  :'(
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Bad news on the illness,all too common for me after flights,its hard not to catch something really.
    Shades-Lots of wildlife there,some squirrels and dogs for me today.
    Decided to test my theory about the Park today and drove there and back,did 8.5 loops and came to 19.5m,brings up 3x50m weeks and 3 long run weekends.
    Tons of people running there today,but we had horrible wind yesterday so a lot may have ran today who would normally run yesterday.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I haven’t Shades. I’ve no tests left now.

Ian, on the flight, we had a row of 3 seats to ourselves (the flight was no way full for whatever reason) so I was hoping I may get away with it as OH and I had a lot of space to ourselves. But we were using very busy subways to get to the airport so who knows. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - another good week's training from you.

Big G  - unfortunately you have to pay for the tests now 😪 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Meant to add.Liverpool HM was last week and had 7900 runners,it's highest since 2013 and 3600 up on last year so race numbers are still increasing here by the looks of it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - wow the race organisers must have been very happy with the increase in numbers.    It does look like runners are now coming back to races.   I think we might need to be not too slow to enter some races in the future.

Incidentally I looked at the sports tour companies' websites last night to see how much a Dublin marathon entry would be.    Last couple of years they've sold race entry only for about £35 more than the ballot price, I think it was Sports Tours International that did that, but I checked all of them.   But this year they are only selling race packages with hotels included, far too expensive.   My friend and I are hoping to do Dublin in 2025 and I was looking at options if we don't get ballot places.

Rest day today.   Well Pilates and Stretch classes that is.  :'(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That’s good news about that race, Ian.

Garmin RHR stats tell a story. Friday is when I flew home. I slept pretty well last night, and I do feel a better this morning in that I’m breathing more normally now. Hopefully this graph will continue to go back down to normal over the coming days. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - good you're on the mend. 

How's the foot?
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Sounds like a great trip.
    Ian - That's a massive increase in numbers for Liverpool HM!

So 20m with 14 at MP, averaged 7:02 (so 3:04 pace) for the MP section, so happy with that, compares well with previous campaigns so should be good for sub 85 if the weather stays decent. Then did 12 miles easy on Sunday for a 70 mile week. Did get some sharp pain in my shin after 9 miles on my 12 miler which was a worry, got home foam rolled, then did some heat and ice on it during the evening, which seems to have resolved the pain, but will know for certain tomorrow morning with 14 miles planned if it's an issue or not.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - great training week by you.

Hope that shin niggle clears up quickly. 

When is your half marathon?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes 4 villages also sold out for the first time in a few years,I see DD is sold out now also,all good signs.
    Took today off but happily I've lost my half stone target in advance of Manchester.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - congrats on the weight loss, half a stone is no mean feat.   Perfectly timed too.   Are you noticing the difference in your training pace?

Just need the weather to be a little kinder now for better marathon conditions for you.

6 miles this morning, bit chilly and misty.  For the first time ever I forgot my HRM, got to about half a mile and a glance at my watch to see --- where my HR should have been.  ;)
    My quads are only about 90% recovered from Friday's thrashing on the leg press and it's a leg/glutes session today  :'(

Have booked the body analyser for Monday morning, that will be a month of my new gym plan.   I've dropped a couple of pounds, not so concerned about weight hoping for a reduction in fat% and increase in muscle%, although I know that's a slow process.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - HM is 21st April. Shin seems fine now, not sure what the issue was on Sunday, probably just creaking from marathon training!
    Ian - Good work on the weight loss. Are you in for Manchester marathon then?

Easy 14 miles today (9:20 pace), kept it to 3.5 mile loops so if I had an issue with shin I could easily stop and get back home, but all good with no pain.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Which half is it? Yes I'm doing Manchester,4th time now.
    Shades-I have definitely seen a change in pace and HR over the last few weeks.
    Easily another half stone that can come off over the summer,just checked and I was a stone lighter in 2019 so that's in the back of my mind.
    7 this morning before work,pro direct had a small number of AlphaFly 3 on sale at 9am so timed it so I was home then,hopefully got myself a pair
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - good the shin pain has gone.   Shin pain can be sore, I guess not much there in the way of fat/muscle so the pain can be sharp when it happens.

Ian - great you're seeing the benefits of the weight loss, makes it so much easier to maintain.    Another half a stone!    Might get you that sub 3 after all  :)
    Fingers crossed re the shoes.

Just entered a marathon, that's a big deal for me right now.  :)  Barnstaple in September.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've had an order confirmation but until I see its on the way I won't be certain.
    Yes that is in the back of my mind,with 3:07 as my best there's still a long way to go,but I've had 6 months niggle free which is probably my longest and everything is going well so it might be my best chance,and I'm coming off the back of a good winters training but it's obviously going to be hard work.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, fingers crossed on the shoes. Great to read all your plans. You seem pretty  motivated, which is brilliant. Can’t quite believe, but I’ve not done Manchester before, although I have an entry or two in the past. 

Steve, glad the shin behaved!

Shades, foot is okay, but the last few days I’ve done sod all, so that may help. I did see a podiatrist a couple of weeks before Tokyo and he was making murmurs about insoles, so I’ve just emailed him to see more about that, and I also asked what he thought about another round of shockwave therapy. I’m out of options really - I have been really good with the exercises and stretches, but it still came back. When I look at the official pics from Tokyo (which I haven’t bought as a) they’re very expensive and b) OH got a couple of decent ones), I can see I have look of pain on my face. Nice to see you get a 6-miler in.

With this free time from being ill, I seem to be googling about CIM (California International Marathon), which could work for me for December 2025, as it will be the week or so after my 50th so it would be nice to do something special.  No firm plans at all, and it’s literally just a thought at this stage. OH did get a bit of a shock when I mentioned it to two Aussies the other week on holiday though, as I jokingly covered her ears whilst I mentioned it, as she hadn’t heard me even talk about it before. But it’s a point to point course so logistics need to be thought about and it’s an early race start (7am). From what I can understand, if you catch the bus from the finish to the start, you can actually stay on the bus to keep warm etc, which seems quite good. If (and it’s a very big if at this point) I can get back into shape, it would be a good one to target as it’s a fast course. I think now I am nearly a year on I would like to do Boston again but I need a qualifier, which of course I’m miles away from at the moment.