Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

120 miles????????

*falls over* image

THUD

• Options
    Keith - crikey, Angela averaged 12 mm to achieve that mileage.  What about that guy from Orkney?  Sichel...  image
  • Options

first male a few miles back

quiet a lot went over 100 miles

• Options

LB - I'm about to collect my bike from the shop and then will see how the legs feel. My head would like about 80 miles but my legs may disagree and I'll let them decide (within reason - I think at least three hours).

See you all later!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

VR - it's OK.  I's a good girl though.  imageimage

LB - if your tootsie is infected, soak it long and get it off like Hippo advises.  image  LOL at Floosie and Sahdes.  image  *passes new Jimmy Choo handbag over*  image  Your house sounds like mine with baths and funny how children forget what they wanted when it all goes belly up.  image

DG - glad you had a lovely weekend.  Getting padded lycra shorts this week and of course I'll miss Flossette when she's away, but refuse to mope about and will get out at every opportunity.  image

LMH - have a good ride today and take care not to undo terrorist's good work.  image

Shades - glad you had a good run and your niggle seems to have all but gone.  Have a good first day back at work.  image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I didn't go on the new route I was planning to use because it didn't look like the path I wanted to take, however 2 miles is in the bag now and my ankle feels relatively okay.
  • Options
    Well, I either wimped out or had my sensible head on and listened to my body - depends on your perspective I guess. Set off and was quite surprised by how responsive the legs were, sports massage terrorist obviously did a good job on them. As the time passed the skies darkened ands it got cold and started raining. Stuck it out and it passed, then it rained again and the wind picked up a bit and I was cold. Kept going then it rained again and I was cold and getting wet. Thought about coming home and sticking the bike on the turbo to finish off, thought about HTFU and keeping going until I'd done at least three hours but in the end just decided to come home and call it quits. I'm tired. The fact that my head is happy to let me sit here with a cup of coffee waiting for the water to warm up so I can lie in a hot bath tells me that it was the right decision - so why do I feel guilty?
  • Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Flossie - I agree with you regarding Armstrong and Contador.  As for my first attempt at 100 miles, I need the conditions to be right, I think. 

I'm sure Flossette does you proud and is a credit to you.

VR - Three 100 mile routes plotted so that I know the profile and total climb of each route.  I just want to map another one and then I need to choose. 

Regarding the banning of radios in Le Tour (which I think is a good thing, btw) is this a one-off or is this for the rest of the race?  And do you know why have they made this decision.?

HTF - Like Little Miss says, the key is fit.  You could buy a £3000 bike, but if it doesn't fit you it won't be right for you.  The bike you have suggested will be nice, but you need to try it to see whether it fits you.  As for my bike, I would have bought something cheaper, but I bought it when I was planning Paris-Roubaix.  I wanted a bike with as much carbon as I could afford in order to soak up the bumps.  I was going to buy a Specialized Roubaix Elite, which was full carbon, but they were sold out of my size and couldn't get any more for quite some time, so I had a Specialized Allez Elite instead and bought some strong wheels as well.

Liverbird - Oh no.......image  On a scale of 1 to 10, how impressed is Mr LB?

DG - I'm pleased you had a good weekend.  Can't believe there's all that red tape for a kids' football team that only plays friendlies.

Little Miss - Don't feel guilty.  Listen to your body.  You've done plenty of training already and I think you're doing the right thing.

HY4 - Well done.

--------------------------

Hockey tonight.  image

• Options
    Thanks Mr B.
  • Options

LMH - no way should you feel guilty - please taper and have a cracking event.  image

Mr Bump - enjoy the hockey.  image

HY4 - well done for getting in 2 miles.   image

• Options

LMH - You did the right thing!
    We went out riding and didn't get rained on but it was only for an hour. It was windy too.

Mr. Bump- All I know is that the organizers are doing it as an experiment for two days. Haven't watched it today so will have to wait until the highlights.

• Options

Thanks guys. I think it's possibly the first time this year that I've cut a session short, my head knows it's the right thing to do. Not feeling great, hopefully tomorrow I shall be raring to go again. Would really like one last long run and bike this week and a full distance swim on Saturday but I shall see how I feel.

Looking forward to the TdF highlights tonight though it was nice to watch something else last night - they do seem to take over your life!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Flossie & Mr Bump,

Thanks.  After that I did a reccie of the new place work have moved to and wore my usual work shoes (low heeled court shoes) and once I got to work had a what felt like the beginnings of a bilster so cut my walk short because there's a nature reserve nearby so I wanted to see if it was appropriate for running round.  On the way back to the car it took much longer because of this bilster, however the path used would be a lovely little run.  I'm not sure how it links to the nature reserve no doubt I'll find out at some point.

LMH,

Hope you feel okay to do the rest of planned sessions this week.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

VR - entirely up to you if you want to race on Friday night.  FV is off road and not one to go for a time as I think it's narrative instructions (or it used to be).   I'm not running on Friday night as I'm race referee  <<practises stern look>>

LB - yuk at the toenail, I couldn't look away, I had to read it

Keith - that's great that Angie won Hull, I think that gives her the B standard to run for England

Flossie - I still have niggle but it's a little better and I'm not running far enough to make it any worse

LMH - your training is done so a little of listening to your body is the right thing to do.   Next time put the immersion on before you go out training.image

Nightmare traffic jams on the way home from work, so frustrating and now I'm already behind schedule on tonight's tasks which is annoying.

• Options

Shades - usually shower at this time of year but felt the need for a soak today, took me lots of topping up to get warm though. Really want to get a last hard week of training in but will see how I feel tomorrow.

Thanks HY4. Glad to see you back on track.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.  I think once I can get up to 5 miles I'll feel happier.

• Options

VR - I am thinking about the parkrun at Basingstoke on Saturday morning - 5K.  Finally entered properly for FV rather than just saying I'm doing it.

A can be  hell at home but we have just had a great report and she got an achievement certificate for the year stating that she is kind and stick with things when they get challenging so she is obviously saving it all for us.

• Options

Morning.

A very early though not particularly restful night has left me feeling well enough to attempt my run this morning. Will monitor the situation as I go and see how far I get.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morning, nice 5 miler this morning, just missed the rain.

Bridget - are you doing the marathon at FV?

• Options
    Phew - that's better. A comfy 18 miles run. Last long run before Prague/first long run of the Abingdon campaign!
  • Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Little Miss - Well done.  I'm not quite sure how you fit the words "comfy" and "18 miles run" into the same sentence though!!  image

Shades - It was traffic jams for me too.  Now the school holidays have started, not only are there major road works going on along the A6, but they've now shut a section of the Outer Ring around Leicester too. 

• Options

What school holidays? Mine finish a week on Thursday! image

6 miles planned for me tonight. Achilles are still really complaining when I runimage No idea why. Might be time to get them looked at, but I have no idea who to see or where to go for a fizz.

LMH - I don't understand the words 18 miles and comfy in the same sentence either!

So I've upped the miles, increased the weight bearing exercise, improved my diet and mixed it up with hillwalking, spinning and speedwork and my weight has increased. image Anybody who wants to tell me that it's calories in vs calories out in a simple formula will get a smack! And I don't think it's all muscle mass.........

• Options

Welcome to my world - at least on the weight front LB.

Mr B - sounds like more bike commutes on the cards.

'Comfy' and '18' miles cos I ran easy peasy all the way. AHR 148 (though I did pick up a bit on the last lap - I ran a six mile loop) and *look away Shades* ran the last mile in 8.55.

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

So I've upped the miles, increased the weight bearing exercise, improved my diet and mixed it up with hillwalking, spinning and speedwork and my weight has increased. image Anybody who wants to tell me that it's calories in vs calories out in a simple formula will get a smack! And I don't think it's all muscle mass.........

Cheap bathroom scales can be affected by temperature as it causes changes in the springs and stuff inside (my grandad use to work for weights and measures). Can affect it by several pounds. Therefore, it is not you it is the weather.image
  • Options
    hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

James -  Just the explaination we all needed - stick around on this thread!

LMH - 18 miles and comfy dont go together.  I cant run 8.55 on my first mile, by mile 18 I'll be crawling on my knees.  Good job your so lovely, or I may have to slap youimage.

We now have swine flu at school.  Lots of children were not brought to school today by anxious parents.  What do you call it when Harry Pottor gets swine flu - Hog warts!  I'll get my coat...............

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LMH - that's a perfect long run to seal your training, well done.

Mr Bump - tonight I was home in less than 15 minutes, no traffic problems at all

LB - is it both your achilles?   could be your weight training, the hill walking, the spinning or your running shoes.   It would be unusual to get an injury in both achilles at the same time from running unless you've altered your running style.

James - if you're not already in the diplomatic service then you should be, what a perfect gentleman you are and women will love your explanation for weight gain....what reason do you have for a weight gain in the winter?

htf - how are your knees?

• Options

Shades - excellent mileage even with slight niggle.  image

LMH - well done on easy 18 miles.  Fantastic last mile.  You're tuned and ready aren't you?  image

Mr Bump - traffic gets quieter round here when the kids break up, but I guess that the motorways and A roads get a clobbering.  Tour de France will get really interesting soon in the Swiss Alps.  image

LB - our school breaks up this Friday - yay!  image

HTF - shameful joke.  Love it!!!!  LOL  We are seeing Harry Potter on Saturday night.  image

Going out later on for a run.  image

• Options
    SHADES wrote (see)

James - if you're not already in the diplomatic service then you should be, what a perfect gentleman you are and women will love your explanation for weight gain....what reason do you have for a weight gain in the winter?

1. Central heating on so same affect.
    2. Low pressure causing trapped air to expand in the body.
    3. Winter clothes weigh more than summer clothes.
    4. Allowed to increase weight in winter as carb loading for summer season.

I am also lead to believe that if you freeze your scales you are guaranteed to loose weight.

• Options
    What i'm supposed to weigh my self with clothes on?? I've always done it on the way back from the bathroom in the morning when i get out of bed.
  • Options
    James - roll on frosty mornings!!!  image