Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    *Makes note to put scales in deep freeze tonight*.  image
  • Options

Shades - i'm entered for the mara at FV unless I change my mind on the day.  I did that last year - from 18 to 26.2 image 

A breaks up at 1.30 on Friday.  They've got a whole 7 weeks this time and she isn't in till 11.30 the day they go back.  In the past Year 7 and 12 went in the first day and all the rest of the school the next day.  This time they are having 2 start times instead.  I shall be phoning her from work to prod her towards the bus stop.

• Options

Thought I might jump in as Im planning on making my marathon debut next year at one of the big city marathons in Europe (you may have seen the thread on the General board).

Got my second HM in September and looking to be hitting 1hr45mins.

• Options
    SHADES wrote (see)

LB - is it both your achilles?   could be your weight training, the hill walking, the spinning or your running shoes.   It would be unusual to get an injury in both achilles at the same time from running unless you've altered your running style.

It IS both achilles Shades and it's been going on for several weeks if I'm honest. It's not terrible and it actually EASES as I run. I was shown a lovely new stretch tonight to try! I'm terrified of injury and will be looking at the shoe situation very soon. I used to spin much harder and much more often and had no problems and the apin was there before I went away. I'm going to ice tonight.

6 more miles in the bag. Slightly faster at 9.46mm but felt fine...image

James Joy wrote (see)

Cheap bathroom scales can be affected by temperature as it causes changes in the springs and stuff inside (my grandad use to work for weights and measures). Can affect it by several pounds. Therefore, it is not you it is the weather.image
    I think I might be a teeny weeny bit in love with you James.....image
  • Options
    Bridget - mine don't even get 6 weeks, but that's fine by me. After we get back from Portugal I know I'll only have to count to ten and I'll hear "I'M BORED" image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Shades,

That was a perfectly timed run.

LMH,

Well done.   That's quick for the last mile (or at least sounds quick to me).

James,

Can you give me any tips to fool the scales at the blood donation places?  I'm a wee slip of a lass and have no idea how to put weight on and I do like my food!

Flossie,

LOL just as I'm thinking about the logistics of putting the blood service scales in a microwave.

LB,

Well done.  There was a time when we were both about the same speed so your times are a source of inspiration because I know what could be possible (starts dreaming).

• Options

It's been a while since anyone called me inspiring!

*blushes* Love you HY4! image

I always fail the prick test at the blood service, then they force the drop of blood to drop down the tube and take it anyway! I'm B positive, which is rareish. DG is B negative, which is even rarer, but she can't give anymore so they leave her alone now! They still hassle me all the time though! image

If you're also B+ I'm eyeing up your kidneys.....image

• Options

LB - I'd see if anyone can recommend a sports massage terrorist.

Thanks HY4.

Flossie - you're doing really well on the weight loss without freezing your scales!

Where's Elspeth? I'm sure she should be back from holiday by now.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LB,

I don't know if I'd have anything else stopping me from giving blood apart from my lightness.  To get to the weight I'd need before I could think about giving blood would be great.

• Options
    LB - I would invite you round to show you the stretches I did for my achilles last year as they really helped. However, it appears eldest has swine flu. We knew it was in school and he's come home with a temperature, headache, off his food and looks like death warmed up. Phoned doc who said a temperature plus two other symptoms and they diagnose swine flu at the moment, so Mr DG has gone for the tamiflu (for the second time, first time they wouldn't give it to him cos he had no ID!). Poor lad is devastated - he had trials for the town squads at swimming and a big gala at Ponds Forge which he's been looking forward to all year this weekend. He's still trying to convince himself that he'll be better. Poor thing.
  • Options

LMH - only kidding.  Lost another lb today *gives it to HY4 - you're very welcome to it*.  image

DG - sorry to hear of eldest getting swine flu.  Wishing him a very speedy recovery and if he's not right in time, there's are always other opportunities for trials.  image

Feel like going for a run now.  Check in later.  image

• Options

LMH - Elspeth is back late Thursday night image

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Just got back from A&E with Little Miss Bump!!  More later......
  • Options

Poor little DG, so disappointing for him.

Mr B - hope it's nothing too serious. Mark is trying to persuade me to buy this nice colour but I'm not sure it's worth spending the money and I'm very unsure about moving to a compact. Nothing wrong with my Specialized really.

VR - thanks, seems like she's been gone for ages.

Flossie - hope you had a good run.

• Options

(( All small Shadies ))

LB - I'm B neg as well, about to make my 50th donation on Monday image

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Little Miss - Fortunately she's ok, albeit with a couple of painful swollen fingers.  The front door was opened and a gust of wind blew the living room door shut - on her fingers - well two of them.  It looked a bit of a mess and she started shaking from shock so I rang Mrs Bump at work and she came home and we took her A&E.  She's had an X-ray, but fortunately nothing broken.

Sadly, Mrs Bump doesn't get paid for this "absence" so she's gone back in work to try and get a couple of hours pay for this evening.

I have to say I don't like the colour of that bike.  Wrong sort of pink for my liking.  However, I didn't realise you could get a triathlon / time-trial bike so "cheap", but then again, it hasn't got carbon forks.  However, if you're thinking of a triathlon bike, why not this ?  image  You'd certainly look good in your GBR kit riding that!

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭
    Promise I'll read back later - it's been a busy evening!!
  • Options
    hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

Im with Mr Bump on the bike LMH - dont like the pink.  I like the one he has recommended, and then looked at the priceimage.  That's twice what I paid for my car!.

Hope Little Miss Bumps fingers feel better soon.  Our youngest had a finger crushed in a door when he was two, and its really horrid and scary for them.  Hugs and ice-cream are required.

DG - sorry about your son.  Wish him a speedy recovery.

HY4 When Flossie has stopped giving you her excess weight you can have some of mine.  We'll get you up to that required weight no problems!

• Options
    DG wrote (see)
    Phoned doc who said a temperature plus two other symptoms and they diagnose swine flu at the moment, so Mr DG has gone for the tamiflu (for the second time, first time they wouldn't give it to him cos he had no ID!).

So sorry to hear about eldest Master DG having swine flu. image I'm still a bit worried that doctors simply "decide" you have swine flu if you display the symptoms of any virus, but I'm not sure how else they could confirm it if they won't see you! Eldest Miss LB displayed 7 of the symptoms of swine flu listed and had quinsy!!!

Does anyone know yet if you gain any immunity from it once you've had it? If you DO and you think you've already had it (because a doc told you so over the phone) then I'd be worried about this lulling folk into a false sense of security! I'm just panicking to death now about going to Portugal in 12 days and one or more of us being ill! image 

I hope he's feeling better very soon and the other two don't get it. Does this mean everyone is now at home?

• Options

Morning.

Mr B - hope she's over the shock and feeling better this morning. Does Mrs B not get carers leave? Even if I won the lottery I couldn't imagine paying that much for a bike! The only thing I really like about the one Mark found is the colour, not quite a lovely shade of lilac but the nearest I've seen. I noticed the lack of carbon too.

Are you dieting too HTF?

Not sure what's on the cards today - try to persuade the legs to ride the bike or a restorative swim? Will see how I feel after walking Grace.

• Options

LMH - When I bought my bike last year the sales guy tried to sell me that Quintano Roo bike. I sat on it and it felt weird but only because I had never even sat on a road bike before nevermind a Tri bike image

I went with the sensible option.

DG - Hope your son recovers soon.

Mr.Bump - Poor Little Miss Bump. Its happened to my youngest at nursery image

I've got my running kit on today image 

• Options
    Where's Shades this morning?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Bridget - perhaps you and VR can run together on Sunday?

LB - yes, once you've had swine flu you will be immune to it, same as other flu and cold viruses.   A flu jab will only give you immunity for a period of time.

HY4 - you could eat lots of carbs followed by a few pints of water that should add a few pounds.

DG - sorry to hear  about the swine flu, hope he recovers soon

Mr Bump - poor Miss Bump, that must have been so painfulimage

Flossie - well done on the weight loss, you are doing really well.

It seems Elspeth has been away for ages, I've missed her

8 miles on a hilly route for me today and now I have a sore achilles.   The tendons in my right foot have now returned to normal size and  am not having any discomfort, but this niggle is now in my left foot

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm right behind you....boo
  • Options
    Stop that and go to work image
  • Options
    hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

Morning all

LMH - Always trying to lose the flab.  Been quite good this week, so hopefully i might have dropped a pound or two!.

Well done Shades for already clocking up 8 miles.  I havent washed up the brekkie stuff yet.

• Options

feeling fully recovered from Tanners and the image so going to do a 20+ off road route on Saturday morning and cant wait.image  Hill reps with the club tonight which always hurt like hell when doing them but feel great after image

Had some very sad news this week Dario the awesome guy who organises The Cateran trail race and the West Highland way race (which is on my must do list just need to convince bo-bo) passed away suddenly on Sunday while out bagging some munroes with a group of friends.  I only met him briefly at the Cateran but he was a great guy and will be sadly missed in the Ultra running family.  My thoughts and prayers go out to all those that knew him and held him dear.

• Options

LMH - sorry, don't like the pink either, but it's your choice at the end of the day - Mr B's choice is nice (half the price of my car - image!!!).  Have a good day whatever you end up doing later on.  image

Mr Bump - sorry to hear of Little Miss B's fingers.  Horrible lesson for children to learn and most get caught at least once - usually while playing hide and seek when doors start getting slammed.  image

HTF - keep up the reducing regime - well done.  image

LB - we've got no control over where the swine flu hits, so there's no point worrying about it.  Visualise the whole family getting on the plan healthy and think of nothing else.  image

Shades - do you think you've favoured left foot whilst training to give right foot a chance to heal without realising?  Hope you have a good day at work.  image

MF7 - very sorry to hear about Dario.  Enjoy hill training tonight.  image

Have missed Elspeth and am already missing Mrs Mac.  It was much cooler than the other morning (ideal really), but time was down and managed to keep running nearly all the time and achieved 12:34 mm over 3.1 miles 74% HRM.  image