Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Flossie - enjoy your day, can you actually fit anymore into it?  Sounds really busy, No wonder you go to bed late!
  • Options

Swim swum. Headache gone thankfully. Baking in the oven image Trying to decide what to do for teh rest of the day now though taking it easy should be an option really.

Small - good to have you (and your mojo) back. Well run last night.

Flossie - I'm sure that sub-60 is waiting for you.

HTF - if you want it enough you'll get there, trust me.

VR - have you pumped the tyres up on the jaffa trailer?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

VR - wishing you and Sparkly a lot of fun tomorrow.  image

LMH - well done on OW swim and for getting rid of headache.  Tour de France is on ITV4 if you're interested.  image

Last night on the way home, I really fancied a bar of chocolate and standing in the queue something told me to do a Euro Millions lottery ticket (so did the national one also).  Today upon checking the numbers have won £18.30 and have just bought a brand new pair of cycling shorts, an inner tube, bright yellow plastic tyre levers and puncture kit for £23 (cost me £5 out of my own pocket).  Now that's what I call a result!

Ironically, still don't feel like going out training today and am not right - been feeling like this since Thursday.  Very low grade (nearly undetectable) sore throat, less energy than normal and probably not helped as a result of not eating properly yesterday.  Eating properly today, which will probably set me up better for tomorrow.  Going to have to let plans of running pass by today.  Off to see Harry Potter soon (5.00 pm viewing).  image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Well done.  Shame you were pipped at the post by that chap.

DG,

Glad your son is getting better.

LB,

LOL at your 2.  That will teach eldest for not playing ball when it comes to dress up/down days.

Small,

Excellent.  Well done on the race..

VR,

Well done on the race.

Flossie,

Nice one.

----------

Good luck to everyone doing lsr & races tomorrow.  No running for me as I'm planning on walking to the local country park instead.

• Options

Flossie - hope you're feeling better soon. Do you monitor your RHR? Helps me to know when to back off. Result with the lottery!

HY4 - I shouldn't be beating him really. It was quite a surprise to get that close.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Just shows how well you're doing at the mo.

• Options

Hi - Well done to LMH and Small in their 10ks, good times for both of you and nice to have Shades and VR to cheer you on Small. Amazed by LMH saying she once took over an hour for 10k and now look. image

My first 10k was about 53 min and my best(long behind me) 48 so no huge improvements there, I must be untrainable! Still planning to have a go at hilly local one next weekend - which will not be a PB.

Hope VR and Bridget enjoy the marathon tomorrow and hope the Butler has got some comments to make despite not being allowed on the course.image You might have to carry extra Jaffas for Bridget VR.

Having a hectic weekend with a party last night and a housewarming thing tonight - never usually have that busy a weekend but quite enjoyed last night, just need to catch up on sleep before work on Monday.

On the training front there is a lot of work to do before Loch Ness, out for 14 miles this morning and that felt quite long enough. Nice to run with friends again but one of them out of action with a sore ankle - I think aquired doing underwater hockey which is a shame. Only ran half of it with them as it was wet and windy and couldn't blame them for going home when they did but I'm needing to get some miles in now.(Cos I don't want VR to run away with all the Jaffas)

Flossie - Well done on your win and new gear, not so good that you're feeling under the weather.

DG - Hope your son soon recovers from his Swine Flu and doesn't run away from home! I'm often winner of worst mother ever award too but the kids got their own back with personal insults when we were away - it is now official I look like a tank and have no waist!image Must be nice to be 18 and perfect!

• Options

Mr Bump - Great story, they don't make folk like that anymore or maybe more of the nutter are excluded!!

Bought a new pair of shoes in Edinburgh on Thursday and really happy with them so far, 14 miles with no blisters when feet were soaking from first mile is good going for me.If they keep it up for another few weeks I'll get another pair I think.

• Options

You've been busy Elspeth! I was definitely over an hour for my first few 10k's and my first half was 2.10 or 2.12 (can't remember for sure and too lazy to look it up at the minute). It's taken a few years to get those times down and still I'm not content image

Bed time for me - night all.

• Options

HY4 - enjoy your walk to the country park.  image

LMH - RHR slightly raised by 5 bpm.  Never measured it before to check for feeling under the weather.  Thanks for that tip.  New shorts are really lovely - strange feeling with the pad, but just think how many miles I can go.  Saw a lovely training bike (aluminium) in the bike shop, mainly black with red flashes, really smart and right bargain - £290 - that's a new goal for me, but for the life of me didn't note it's brand or model - it looked nice though.  image  There was another one in there for £529, but it didn't appeal one iota.  Bike shop man agreed that if I train on the Peugeot Rock 21 speed for the time being, will fly on the new one when I eventually get it.  Going to bed shortly to get an early night, but did eat properly today.   image

Elspeth - good to hear you back in the running again and determined to get in the miles.  Also good to hear you treated your tootsies to some new shoosies.  Lovely.  image

• Options

Well that's my marathon preparation done.  Visited Knightbridge and Oxford Street plus Tate Modern image

• Options
    Master DG has been fine today - and didn't run away - although he had taken my car keys image (he's 10). We're going to take him over tomorrow, which means a 5am start for me. If he does over tire himself he can always have another day off school, but he seems to have bounced back really quickly. He'll only actually be swimming for about 5 mins in total for his 3 races, although obviously his is the last race of the day so we've got to be there from start to finish!

Shades - the race you were ref for sounds a lovely race and well done to Small too. Glad you've got your running mojo back Small - if you see mine about, let me know!

Flossie - excellent lottery win and very well spent. Hope you're feeling up to trying out the new shorts soon!

Elspeth - Good running and hope you've enjoyed tonight's party too.
  • Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

DG; Flossie; elspeth; Liverbird; Little Miss -  Cycle racing in that period was heroic.  I think today, under those conditions, the riders would go on strike, or stage a protest (again).

Shades - Thanks.  I'd love a job like that talking about sport and the old times.

Little Miss - Very well done on your 10K.  Upon first reading, I read that you'd done 30:12.07 for 10K,which suddenly made me think "hang on a minute, that's world class, or even the world record!" and then I read it again and realised it was 30/12/2007 you were referring to!

VR - The Classement Géneral has become interesting as a result of George Hincapie's exploits today.  I'm disappointed that Columbia supported Mark Cavendish today rather than try and take the Yellow Jersey.  I would have thought that Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador will be happy to wait until the Annecy contre-la-montre (time trial) and the final showdown on that mountain with the evil reputation - Mont Ventoux.  However, Carlos Sastre, the Schleck brothers and Cadel Evans may need to do something before then, and tomorrow's summit finish on a Category 1 climb may see some attacks - hopefully.  The thing is, so much time can be lost on a mountain when someone is in défaillance (in running terms - hits the Wall) that the matter of seconds separating the leaders is nothing at all, hence why the leaders are happy to play a waiting game.  Lance though is not as strong as he has lost the coureur who I would expect would have been his lieutentant if Astana splits on Armstrong / Contador lines.

Flossie - I'm glad you had a nice evening and even more happier for you in having that good fortune and then spending it so wisely.

Elspeth - Welcome back. 

DG - Good luck to Master DG.  Glad to hear he's feeling better...and that he didn't run away!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LMH - there were safety pins at registration, the lads just didn't think to take anyimage

LB - why don't you enter a few small local races before Dublin, you'll probably knock out a few PB's and racing is the best speedwork of all....we'd be able to amend your training paces then too.

Flossie - well done on the lottery win and well deserved shopping for yourself

Elspeth - I hope the new shoes do turn out to be better than the others that made mincemeat of your toes

Have had a text from VR at 5.53 this morning, asking if I could check the start time for her race today

• Options

Morning!

Good luck to VR and SB. Don't think anyone else is racing today?

Mr B - are you long riding today?

DG - hope he enjoys it and it's not too wearing for you.

Flossie - RHR is a good indication of something underlying. Bike shop man is quite right, train on your current bike and you'll fly on a lighter model. Glad to hear that you're gradually feeling better.

Shades - boys eh?

Have woken with a headache again today, no idea what that's about but hopefully it will wear off as it did yesterday. Will be out on the bike but not sure how long for.

• Options

Must be a day for feeling yuk LMH - I woke in the night with uncharacteristic severe asthma symptoms and I've no idea why. Got my breathing under control but I feel hungover now, and I didn't even drink last night because I was driving! It was only an 18th birthday party but the kids dance teacher (27, completely mad with bright pink hair!!) was leading the dance floor teaching everyone how to throw some shapes! I left early - I am no dancer......image

VR probably knows that you're the only person in Devon who might be up at 5.53 in the morning Shades! I was snoring away then! image

I don't keep an eye on the race calendar round here really, so I'll have to look for some races to see if I can improve my times. I'm in a bit of pickle because I've been reading up on Achilles tendonitis in a RW book we have and it seems likely that I have the beginnings of this. image It also says STOP RUNNING IMMEDIATELY, which is not what I wanted to hear....image

The pain was FAR less in my trusty old Mizunos yesterday, so I'm thinking it's a shoe issue more than anything else, but I woke up this morning with tight achilles and this is one of their biggest clues. Now the question is........

As I have a natural "break" coming up Tuesday week when I go to Portugal, should I leave my trainers at home and give my tendons a rest or run on holiday as planned? I built an extra two weeks into the plan to allow for the holiday, so I won't lose overall mileage (though I might lose fitness) Training has been going so well and the LAST thing in the world I want is to DNS again. I ran a really good LSR yesterday with an avg HR of 130 for over 2 hours!!! I felt like I could have run forever and I wasn't remotely tired.

Any thoughts welcome.

DG - good luck to Master DG in his swim. I'm glad he ddn't run away with our car keys. It's hard enough driving rounds yours as it is, the speed they go thundering past your house! image

Good luck to racers today. I'm off to get dressed. BiL has gone through 6 pints of milk and I've no idea what he does with it, so I'd better get down to the shop! Things are going well with him and Miss BiL though so far.....

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LB,

Well done on the run.  Hope the ankle settles down soon.  I'd possibly use the holiday as a break from running.

DG,

Good luck to your son today.

• Options

DG - lots of best wishes for Master DG and his swims today.  image

LB - hand on heart if I had an -itis in a tendon (confirmed by a physio or medical professional - have you had this checked out yet?) would enjoy the holiday in Portugal for two weeks and swim.  You will soon get back to your fitness and it is better to DNS than DNF for your morale.  Hope this helps.  However, Shades and LMH will give you the best advice.  image

Mr Bump - have just read on MSN News that two riders in the Tour de France were shot at by teenagers, who hid behind a tree on Friday and that a female spectator was killed whilst walking across the road while the motorcade was passing?!   image  Truly, an eventful Tour de France this year.  Mind you, FLM has been known to be like the Crimean War around St John's Ambulance points on the course if the weather gets too hot.  image

LMH - enjoy bike ride today and watch the headache - it will probably be gone like last time by the time you get on your way.  RHR down today - yay!  image

Thinking of VR and SB today - expect they've already started their race.  image

Woke up this morning feeling much better apart from slightly blocked nose - took an antihistamine (just in case).  RHR right down to 41-43 instead of 47-50.  Running or cycling - hard to choose today with new cycling shorts, inner tube, tyre levers and puncture kit looking at me.   image  However, running buddy likes training Tuesday, Thursday and weekends, so will run today.

Taking Flossette to Blandford shortly for 5 day music course with Dorset Youth Orchestra and the double bass - not much room in the car with that and her luggage.  Get back and then have the run before next snack due - eating little and often seems to be really working.  Also would like to get kitchen redecorated before Flossette gets back from music course and that will get Moggie going because her food and litter tray will need to be resited - she goes on one every week while washing the floor especially hoovering, never mind this little escapade.  

Hope everybody has a great day whatever they're doing.  image

• Options
    hmm, here I am sitting by the pool - if only it wasn't so blasted hot and stuffy, and I could dive in whenever I wanted!!

LB - I had similar thing to you before Liverpool HM 08. I took quite a lot of time off training, but really it only went away properly after I took the summer off. Symptoms were a really tight hurting achilles in the morning, but it rarely hurt when I actually ran. I found some stretches on the internet which really helped to strengthen the area, but they also relieved the pain a lot too. I'll try to meet up sometime and show them to you this week if you like. Could be worth doing them while you're away and not running. No real substitute for seeing a physio though. I'm never sure internet diagnosis and stretches are the best way to go!!
  • Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

Morning everyone, how are you all? I've been away on hols for the last week (Duinrell, Holland - great place for kids, stepsons loved it!) Will have to read back through the forum for a news update later.

Shades or anyone else - urgent advice required. I'm running the Moray Half 8 weeks today. My training has been poor this year! Total of 427 miles to date image (please don't all rush to show me the door). I really want to get my time down to 1:45 this year (set a PB of 1:47:12 last year). Any advice on how best to achieve this? My recent race times have been 46:37 for a 10k and I've not done anything longer. I've been sporadic with my long runs but can manage 14 miles at 9:16 pace (ran mid-June) and did a couple of 10 mile fast ones in the run up to the 10k (8:10 pace). Club coach has gone on hols, so hasn't been able to make me the promised plan. He had previously suggested getting my tempo run on Tuesday up to 10 miles, not sure what to do with the long run at weekend if I do this. Recent paces on rep sessions have been 6:50 (very short hill reps) taking about 50 seconds for the whole thing, and 7:20 (12 x 500 m with 1 min recovery).

Main problem at the moment is I don't know what I can realistically be aiming for. I need to get a plan in place to refocus my training and ideally get a new PB. Current training nights are Tuesday (tempo), Thursday (reps - varying between 500 and 2000m depending on the night), and long run on Saturday (when I can get up!) I'm happy to run a 4th session to get on form. Thanks for your advice folks. image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Clag,

That's more than I've done this year.

-----------------

The walk to the country park was a disaster.  Chris was whinging & whining about going out, however we did get out.  We got so far then came to a steepish incline & he said his calfs were hurting & that was that back we went.  Next time we're going to drive to the park and have a walk round instead.

• Options

Oh dear HY4 - sorry to hear that.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better Flossie. I really should get on with some decorating too but haven't yet found the motivation. Did you run today?

Clag - 10 miles at tempo is a heck of a run. Have you looked at any of the training plans you can access through here?

DG - how has he done? I bet he'll be wiped out tonight.

LB - get yourself a recommendation to a good physio/sports masseur, find out what's really wrong and then we can help you to manage it.

Mr B - colour aside, what do you thinkof this http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=40915&eid=215 nice LBS man says that it would be better than buying new wheels for my current bike (which I would keep as a winter hack) and that the gearing isn't too different from mine even though it's a compact.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMH,

Put some music on and get stuck into the decorating.  Whenever I've done any decorating I've tended to get it done double quick.

I think it may be because Chris doesn't do exercise usually.  I think we walked about 3-3.5 miles approx.  My ankle held up fine and some of it was quite rough (rougher than I'm use to).  I did enjoy the bit we did and would have carried on to the park if I'd been on my own but think I would phoned Chris up to pick me up because it total it would be about 4-4.5 miles there & it would have been possibly too much to walk back.

• Options
    Clag - glad you've had a great holiday. You've done loads more miles than me too!

HY4 - Sorry your walk wasn't good. Have you got anything else nice planned for the rest of the day?

LMH - The bike looks lovely (but I like black!) Spec seems great too, hope the price is in the range you can afford! Thanks for asking about Master, he's done two races and come last in both. He looks really tired and I think its taught him a valuable lesson that illness takes it out of you, even if you feel fine! He's still happy to be here, but you can see the cogs turning that maybe we were right about yesterday!!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

DG,

Work for my NVQ, while I've got the Tour De France on in the background.  I've found it so boring & I just want to get it completed.  I've got the last 3 work books to do (done 2 already this afternoon).  Then the only things left are for the assess to again evidence from my calls, and the key skills maths & english to do.  With the english I've only got a memo to do & the test.  With the maths is the assigment and test. 

He'll remember that lesson by the sounds of it!

• Options
    HY4 - Hardly exciting, but a good job done when its finished! Lesson would have been learned, but he got a medal for being B grade 10 year old boy 3rd place in his Medley (although there may only have been 3 B grade 10 year old boys!!) He now thinks he's won the olympics!!!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

DG,

Aw bless, well done him.  I know I can't wait until it's finished.

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Not sure if he meant 10 mile tempo or just 10 miles with a good bit of it at tempo pace. image Had a look at the schedules here but they're too wide. I'm falling between the paces etc with 4 weeks short.
  • Options

Well done to little DG and hope he continues to recover well.

Been having a lazy day here but got some stuff done in the garden too.

Clag - Sounds like you should be able to do 1.45 in the half as your 10k times are good. I agree with LMH 10 mile tempo runs sound very long, but I would think if you are doing good tempo runs and a long run weekly you should be in good shape for a new PB.

I'm still thinking about doing Elgin mara/half but it may be a bit over optimistic considering my lack of current training might be better just to focus on Loch Ness. The next few weeks will tell. 10k next weekend is Saturday morning (late) so messes up next weekend's long run but think I should do it since I'm here for it for the first time in years and lots of other folks are injured so numbers will be small.

Back to garden to hack down overgrown hedge!

• Options
    Any news from VR and BRidget?