Options

Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    Hi all,so pleased that your all feeling by and large positive about the windy city.Having done New york in 2002 i can assure all the long trek out there is well worth it.On a controversial note id have to say that nobody does marathons better than our U.S.cousins.The world doesnt revolve around London..as brilliant as it is.Having done a fair few maras abroad its a real eye opener taking in a new running experience.Id suggest though you take as much rest as you can on arrival.Although its essential to slip into local time,dont underestimate the effect traveling has on the body clock.I arrived in decent shape and came through the first 20 in around 2.35 looking to do 3.35 is..but blew up and died and fin 3.50.I know from body and being a decent mid packer it wasnt that id gone too fast...just 20 odd hours changing planes,being held up etc does take hold.id Recomend stretching and walking around the plane a lot to on the way out.I treated myself to a pair of compression flight socks and leggings which really aided recovery and helped my prep.word about the support..the crowds are dense all the way round..pretty much like the London..but a lot madder and noisier..they have gangs of kids with giant foam hands that act as support crews which may sound very annoying but do lift the spirits through the last few miles.American runners tend to be alot more open and friendly,and the expo like New York has a great buzz in the air..unlike London which is flat as the proverbial.dont forget how strong the pond is at the mo,and shoe prices with show specials are a real steal..you can pick up some lovely free chicago posters,and i treasure a lovely signed poster of Deena Kastor which hangs proudly in my study..Deena was a charming and delightfull person by the way.I too followed Hal Higdons Schedule so it was a thrill to get last minute tips from the great man..the race itself goes off at 8 in the morning..it can be quite cold,and it will be very dark..but will be sunny and probably a bit breezy later..expect some rain over the weekend,and take some warm clothes.Look out for your name in the window display at the official hotel..a nice pic opportunity.You will doubtless be aware that the race goes slightly phased according to your number colour..i.e faster race times at the front..same as London but much stricter control at the entrance to the pen.Incredible as it seems a young guy in his twenties appeared at the excellent baggage check asking where he picked his number up from!on being asked had he read the emails and race info he replied"i nver read my emails and i as too busy to check the info pack"!hed even flown from New York for the race!he dint run!never will i feel foolish about forgetting me race pins or getting lost on the way to Mersea !Island!
    Any other qestions need addressing feel free.
    Run well all
  • Options
    Hi all
    Been away for a few days and just been catching up on this thread which has been busy over the weekend. I did the Budapest half on Sunday, pretty flat although it was also pretty warm and sunny with a headwind along the river which affected 3-4 miles of the race. Strong field of runners with appx 7000 in total. Well worth doing and there is quite a lot to see around the city to make a weekend of it. I finished in a time of 1:18:51 which is a PB. Did my first 22miler last Wednesday and it went well will do another 22miler tomorrow evening. Got my clubs (Serpentine) 10k championship this Sunday. Paul are you doing this 10K?
  • Options
    I'm not, B5D. To be honest I have done nothing with the Serpies since Battersea Park track sessions before the London Marathon. After this marathon I should really get into it a bit.

Well done on the PB - that's a cracking time - and good luck on Sunday. What are you aiming for? 36min or so?
  • Options
    Lofters - well done on Glasgow. I was a little behind you in 2hrs 3 mins but if I can keep that up for the second half of Chicago then I am on to beat my 4hrs 30 min target....

Zed
  • Options
    Well done to all who've raced recently. It puts me to shame as the only 'race' I have planned before the big day is a leg of the Southern Road Relay Champs at Aldershot on Sept 23rd - and that's only if I make the team! Is anybody else planning to be there?

I'm now in panic mode and have managed a 17 miler and a 15 miler in the last couple of days, but the warm weather and humidity have taken their toll and and I've felt dreadful on both occasions as I hate carrying liquid with me. On that theme does anybody know what race drink is provided in Chicago?
  • Options
    It's Gatorade, Andy.

I really like the stuff, but am not training with it. More importantly (I think?!) is the use of the pre-race fuel and gels.

I'm using SiS stuff - PSP22 Energy for carb loading the day before and morning of the race and Go Gels for the race itself.
  • Options
    do you all think there's a massive difference between gels and bars? i ask because i used gels in nyc last year and although they were good - i did not hit a wall - i found them incredibly disgusting and i tried every brand on sale at my running shop. now when i try them in training they make me gag just to look at them. i used apple / cinnamon powerbars recently and found them palatable and digestible so was thinking of using them instead but amd just trying to decided whether it's worth the gag and going for the gels?

On another note - Saint Chris - thanks so much for your wonderful e-mail, that was incredibly helpful and informative. Wow! I am very very excited. Like Zed I would love to beat 4:30 but I'm very cautious about it - we'll see. Are you going to join a pacing team Zed? Mine in NYC was way too slow last year ..
  • Options
    Dieselgirl - I have only ever used gels and have had no problem with them.

However, I understand that they are meant to be the best thing as they are the quickest thing to get into your system. The bars probably take a bit of breaking down
  • Options
    dieselgirl: was thinking about signing up for a pacing group at the Expo. So far my long runs are averaging 9:30 min miles so heading for a 4:15hrs marathon - they have a pacing group of this speed so thinking about it. However, if they are too slow I will probably pull ahead.

do remember being overtaken in London by the 4hrs 30mins towards latter stages as I suffered towards the finish. Then again a rather fast Rhino and a Mr Tickle overtook me too!!!

Tried to get Gatorade from sports centre that was supposed to have it in the machine only to find they did not....isn't powerade very similar..?

Zed
  • Options
    Hey Zed & Dieselgirl - my sort of speed! If you're around London, Run&Become in Victoria have VERY limited supplies of Gatorade - and if its not in, they can put you on a waiting list for when it does. Hubby picked some up last night that they put aside for him.
    I'm training with Lucozade - tried gels but its a texture thing and I can't stand them. I'm sticking to liquid and a slice of bread & honey before I start - its always worked before...........!
  • Options
    Diesel girl,so plaede and lad to be of help.Suggest you try SIS GELS..have you tried?try orange flavour,they dont need to be taken with water.There are some fruit energy pastilles that are easy and enjoyable to eat..have you tried more natural stuff like dried apricots?REMEMBER that the body holds 18 miles worth of Glycogen stored in the body,providing you have trained your body to burn fat and adapted to being on your feet for 3.30/4 hrs
    a time,and providing you top up your carb reserves early..i.e. start taking gels on on at 10 miles or earlier...allowing the 20/25 mins for the body to absorb the carbs (1 gel is said to cover you for five miles)keeping your self topped up with a sports drink and water,then youshouldnt hit the wall.I rec best bet is carry a drink your used to,providing you dont take on mountains of gatorade that your not used to,a few sips wont kill you and may get you out of trouble.From bitter experience i can relate how i sank gallons of an unfamilliar drink(red fruit Maxim)when id run out of nmine during blistering heat in Stockholm in June..had a mare,and had the indignity of heaving it all up at in the changing tent!too much information but makes the poit!
    run well
    Saint
  • Options
    wish id take time to read back and check my spelling!should have read..pleased and glad!
    kind regards
    Saint
  • Options
    Agree with StC - SIS gels work for me - 18 and 22 miles.
    I also take 'Hi5 Xtreme energy' on the way, which is excellent - only problem is if it gets hot and you need more fluid, the different mix of fluids can make your tummy "shut down", so whilst you're drinking, you're actually dehydrating. Boston last year - very nasty!!!
  • Options
    I've just looked into booking a table at Harry Carey's (recommended by Zed) for Friday 20th Oct and they have a table for a party of 6 (max) left for 7pm. For a larger group 9pm is the earliest available slot so, on that basis, I'm tempted to book sooner rather than later.

From earlier posts I think that AndreaB, AnnieJ, Zed plus myself are up for a gathering. If there are others willing to join us for a Friday evening pasta party then I can look elsewhere so please let me know asap either on the forum, by PM or email (andy@golfingvilla.com).
  • Options
    dear all,
    thanks for the excellent advice. i'm fine with gatorade (i'm sure they had that at nyc last year) but will try the sis orange you recommend saint chris .. literally if it doesn't kill me it will make me stronger? andy hawkins - thanks for organising that. i've got some friends there who have sorted something out that night so can't join but will raise a glass of gatorade to you all. Oh - also tip i was given by an ultramarathoning friend in the US is endurolytes, electrolyte tablets, which are v. helpful.. i think the manufacturer, hammergels, might be at the expo..
    i'm getting so excited! thanks again for all advice.
  • Options
    Andy
    Count me in for dinner at Harry Carey's on Friday. Earlier time slot of 7pm best for me as better stick to sensible routine pre-race (which will of course go out of the window post race!).

Have a couple of friends now joining me at central hotel so they might be interested too if forumites not able to fill 6 places....

Zed
  • Options
    Evening all - been lurking a bit and not posting. It sounds like there is plenty of quality training going on.

I'm beginnning to feel like a runner again. I got the all clear from the physio last week to train normally again. Tonight I managed 12.5 miles in 1:30 feeling really strong, and I've accumulated nearly 60 miles in the last week.
    Hopefully I can keep building for the next 5 weeks but I'm going to start my mini-taper now and start carbo loading for sunday's 26 mile training run.
  • Options
    Hey Toucan

Sounds like things are back on track - congrats. Are you sure you're not pushing it a little hard though? I forget what your target time is

And 26 miles?!? Good on you! The longest I will go in training is 22, but I guess 26 can't help if you take it nice and slow

PB
  • Options
    Thought it was worth digging this out to keep a little pressure on ourselves!!

I think there might be a couple of people missing. Toucan, for example...

PB - 3:10:59 (BQ!)
    Coops - 3:40
    Lofters - 3:59:59
    AndreaB - 3:59:59
    Y2Jimbob - 3:59:59 and a half
    Big 5 Dreamer - 2:45
    Padams - 2:44:59
    Zed - 4:15
    John Lally - 3:44:59
    Welsh Alex - Sub 3:44
  • Options
    I'm hoping for sub-3. Originally I thought I'd go for a p.b. but there isn't a hope of beating my phelgm time for this year but a sub-3 would be good to add to the collection.

I wouldn't normally do more than 23 for a training run, 3-4 weeks out done in the target time for race - but it's the nottingham mara this weekend and since I'd be out for a long one anyway it'd be rude not to.

This may seem like I'm laying the miles on thick but in my defence I've been doing a lot of tri training over the year and I'm now cutting back on the bike and swim. Also next week is a work induced cutback week so I should have a chance to recover a little before building again.

PB - 3:10:59 (BQ!)
    Coops - 3:40
    Lofters - 3:59:59
    AndreaB - 3:59:59
    Y2Jimbob - 3:59:59 and a half
    Big 5 Dreamer - 2:45
    Padams - 2:44:59
    Zed - 4:15
    John Lally - 3:44:59
    Welsh Alex - Sub 3:44
    Toucan - 2:58
  • Options
    And for me... Gels @ 7, 13, 18, 23 taken with water with extra water as and when I feel like it.
  • Options
    What time are you looking to do Nottingham in then? About 3:30/3:45?
  • Options
    Hi Toucan, good to see you have returned! Controversial doing a 26M training run, the longest I am doing is 22M. I recommend running it with someone you know will only do 3:30 or slower, then you can pacemake them and won't get caught up in racing faster people.

Gels: I normally carry two, have them at about 12 and 15, then pick up two at the Powergel point (17M I think) and have them at 18 and 22ish. I always pick up a drink when I can, normally alternate water and whatever other drink is on offer (Gatorade in Chicago). I am lucky that I have never had any problems eating/drinking on the run - I often eat Mars bars, biscuits, various gels, or whatever else I can find on my long runs!
  • Options
    Inspiring 8 mile run around my lovely city of Edinburgh this morning. Straight home to Powerade - can't believe I was drinking that stuff at 7:30am!

Am going to try a power gel thing this weekend on my long run - usually just do the isotonic drink thing.

Mars bar whilst on long run...padams that's impressive. Mind you I can eat one straight after.....!

Zed
  • Options
    There is going to be no problem with pacing. The sherpa is doing the half so I'm running with her aiming for around 1:45. Plan is to run the second half the same for 3:30ish. I'll set the garmin to tell me off if I go too fast.
    I agree about the 26 M run being controversial. And if I really thought I'd be p.b.'ing chicago I probably wouldn't do it. My normal build for a mara (based on P+D) would have 3x20M at 2:20-2:25 and one 23M in ~3hr, as the longest runs. After Nottingham I'm going to do another 20M on the weekend of the 1/10. Other than that it's 15-18 milers.
  • Options
    I think I'm going to stick to a max training run of about 21M - the problem with being slower is that these long runs take a hell of a long time..........!
    Doing 17M this weekend with sister-in-law. Its her first marathon & we're both in need of a bit or moral support having both had crap runs last weekend.
    Anyone else bored of eating pasta yet?!?!?!
  • Options
    Bored of pasta E....never....! Having rice too :->

Am doing just 14-15 miles this weekend and then it's 16/18/20milers before serious taper. Agree E long runs really knacker me so contemplating a 20 mile plus more than once is just horrifying....

I tend to really tire in the last 2 miles of my long runs too.

Zed
  • Options
    Zed

Table for 6 booked at 7pm on the Friday so room for your friends.

Next couple of weeks are big ones for me, with three 21 milers and three midweek 15 milers. Managed 11 miles today at 6:20 pace so maybe a sub 3 is just about possible if I can hold it together. The trouble is that, because of trying to catch up mileage wise, I can't schedule a half marathon or 10k beforehand so will be going into the race without a guide to fitness.

Having run 23/24 milers training runs in the past I always stick to 21/22 as maximum nowadays as I find that the extra couple of miles, while adding a bit of confidence, take so much more out of me in respect of effective training for the following couple of days.
  • Options
    Andy - great. Harry's for pasta pre race.

Did 14 miles today in 2 hrs so on for hopefully my sub 4:30hrs. Tight calf muscles tonight but my friend does massage so off there tomorrow night!

Impressive long runs...if only I could. I am building up next few weeks with 16/17/20/17 miles i think the schedule said.

6 weeks today is the RACE folks - yikes

Zed
  • Options
    Yep, 6 weeks to go!! I'm beginning to get nervous. Oh well, I guess it's healthy.

Did 20 miler number 2 on Saturday. Really slow with my mate who's coming to Chicago. 3hr 15min. Followed up with a recovery run yesterday with 2min intervals. Strangely my legs were difficult to walk on but easy to run on?!

I've got a really busy fortnight at work coming up and I'm really worried that my training is going to have to get severely cut back. Very worried!