Options

Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Tinkerbelle, was considering going back to podiatrist, but will try the frozen bottle of water. Dont be despondant about your running though. I am built for stamina and not for speed so dont try and keep up with anyone anymore and it works because I always end up overtaking the odd one or two of the speedsters at the last mile or so of a race as they have burnt themselves out hehehe. Keep going!!!!

• Options
    I had terrible PF for months; solved with one trip to the podiatrist who made me some insoles. definitely worth it.
  • Options
    Went out this morning hoping to do 18 miles. The snow had just started to come down, as I got to about 5 miles the snow got heavier and the thickness of it under foot was starting to get tricky.

After about 10 miles the snow was getting heavier and there was about 3 or 4 inch of snow under foot as well as the visability was about 30foot, I decided to go home for my own saftey more than anything.

Not the best training session to date but i still managed to do 14 miles in 2hrs 1 min.

Good luck to all who did their runs this weekend.

Pete
  • Options
    yipee had a really good 13 today best run in weeks.did 2:14 and as it was really hilly i am pleased. finally the postie delivered silverstone today.looking forward to it
  • Options
    Lets hope the weather improves for Silverstone this weekend
  • Options
    Terrible weekend tried to run on sunday and threw up after 2 miles thought I could carry on but was sick again. I also have an eye infection which the chemist reckons is due to being run down. So haven;t run since last Thursday, will run home from work tonight (8.5M) and am seeing Peronal trainer on Thursday who will do a few intervals and cross train. Have decided to miss Silverstone on Sunday and try again to clock up 16/17 miles at the weekend I can't really afford not to. Am panicking and look terrible with swollen eyes so can't even cover with make up! Boo Hoo
  • Options
    SO2 don't beat yourself up to much we all have crappy weeks and runs. I ran on Friday like an old lady, felt crippled at the end and had to walk a bit (haven't done that in a long time!) and felt generally rather rubbish about the whole marathon training thing. Hence I haven't run since decided to give my very tired feet a few days off and am only planning on doing shorter runs this week leading up to silverstone on Sunday. so only ran twice last week! Not great I know but sometimes its what you need a little R&R! You could consider doing a mile warm up and a mile warm down and still do your silverstone run, that way you would still be upping the mileage and doing silverstone. Give it a go. Silverstone will be a great experience!
  • Options
    TubsterrTubsterr ✭✭✭
    Eye settling but too windy to risk it outside and snow everywhere so ended up doing 15 miles on the treadmill. It always takes me 2 to 3 mins longer per mile on the treadmill anyway and even slower due to piriformis! Walked 4 min, ran 1 min then after 3 hrs did walk 3, run 2. It took 5 hrs in total but felt reasonably ok and not to worried about the time it took as it was good to spend so long on my feet - I'll be 6 hrs plus on the 23rd. Have abandoned idea as going dressed as a toilet roll - raising money for guide dogs - think lab puppy think loo roll! as extra weight may be too much for eye and if there's a football crowd I may end up being thrown around! Might go as Super Tubbs instead! Long cloak may come in useful in the event of long queue at loos! Well done with training everyone. Not long now!
  • Options
    Tubster

Why not go as Super Woman in some nice tight lycra...Just a suggestion :-)

It was interval training for me last night so indoors on the treadmill. After the first two 1.5 miles fast could manage the third although had the same feelings in my body as I did after 17 last Sunday.
    Looking forward to Silversone this weekend and then it is countdown to the big day.
  • Options
    Ran home from work last night (about 9 M) and actually enjoyed it - just shows what a rest can do, I'd forgotton what it was like to run with fresh legs.
  • Options
    Good luck to all doing Silverstone on Sunday. I did it last year, as my first ever race not as part of FLM prep. Faded badly towards the end due to inadequate training, but got a real kick out of crossing the start line to the Formula One music. Plenty of jokes flying around about Michael Schumacher's lap record not being in danger. Really enjoyed the event, but going nearer to home this year (Fleet) as part of my FLM build up.

Finally went for a sports massage last week - wow, what a difference it made, well worth the 30 minutes of pain at the hands of the masseuse. Would highly recommend it to anybody struggling with tight muscles and sore joints.
  • Options
    I'm with you SO2, as I've only managed a five mile and two mile last week and I ran slowly round the track 3 miles ish last night, I don't think the lack of miles will do any harm with just under 6 weeks to go. Went to buy a supply of voltarol just in case and have done my induction at the local gym, the thinking being that running on a treadmill will be easier on the joints than out on the road. The weather here down south is crazy at the moment, could have sat out in the garden today sunbathing!!!! good luck all for the week ahead.
  • Options
    The dreadmill (as I call it) is easier on the joints and helps with speedwork - which in my case means trying to go a bit faster the word speed cannot be used in context of my running!

Also it is bl**dy freezing so a few indoor sessions should stop the likliehood of you getting a cold. am seeing my personal trainer tonight she only does 20 min intervals and the rest is cross training and then will do long run on sunday so have had a light week. I needed it I was getting very emotional through overtiredness.
  • Options
    After an 8 miler last night in the freezing cold, I now have my left Hamstring complaining. Not what I need before Silverstone...
    Gonna give it some TLC with regulars rubs and cold gel...
    Should have been like HW & SO2 and run inside in the warm
  • Options
    good luck to all on sunday, just got my london marathon final mag so thats my bedtime reading sorted. had acupuncture yesterday and sports massage and did yoga and am finally pain free for the ist time in months.
  • Options
    Hi everyone. Went to see a podiatrist tognight. He is concerned about the 'lumps' on my legs. I thought I had 'shin splints' but he says that they are just 'trigger points' (that eventually lead to shin splints!). He gave me acupuncture and is making orthotics to try and solve the problem. Hey ho - happy (and pain free, if that's possible) running everyone!!
  • Options
    PS - running the Bath Half Marathon on Sunday - is anyone else?!
  • Options
    am soooo happy did silverston in 2:09, all the niggles dont hurt , am celebrating daughters 17th tonite so i can now have 1 or 2 glasses of wine. brilliant race cannot fault anything except the wind.how did u all get on this wkend?
  • Options
    Well Done Tinkerbelle, hope there is no hangover this morning :-)

I managed 1:51 so am chuffed with that..

The usual tight hamstring this morning but nothing major..

Hope evertone else enjoyed it despite the wind.
  • Options
    Well done, did 16.5 your half times were about my 10 mile time. It was very hard after 14 and then i was really sick when I finished. I felt so rough I was pulling out of the marathon altogether yesterday! a bit concerned about the sickness though as I was wretching for a long time and again when i got home.
  • Options
    Did a very slow 2 hr 46. Found it very hard going so worried about London. But i think a lot of it is mental and therefore i am sure that i will find some reserves on the day. Very very windy and a rather boring route but extremely well organised. I was very impressed with the smooth running of the event
  • Options
    Well done girl, i would be really pleased with that.
  • Options
    well done on your 1.51, my claim to fame i passed the blue peter presenters.what a fab race.rebecca well done , most of this route was boring dont panic london is much more exciting and the scenery is better.
  • Options
    Hello All, thought i would drop by and say hi..
    this is my first marathon too, and am following the same schedule as your Rebecca, 'THe Non Runners Marathon Trainer'....18 miles this coming weekend eh! Not looking forward to it for so many reasons, am so scared now!

Did Silverstone yesterday in 2:10:57 which was 3 mins quicker than last half, according to the rw predictor, this means i am on track for a 4.30 FLM. But i ran this race quicker than i will run London, and my legs really felt the strain, especially running into that wind. So i guess i am looking at more like a 5hr finsih...

I am starting to get panicked as there is now only 2 more weeks of proper training, until tapering starts. I wonder if i should do an extra week of long run just to make up for yesterday when i did 13 instead of the scheudled 16?

Am all at sixes and sevens.....waking up in a big panic, crying a lot and just generally knackered, emotional,excited and fed up at the same time....!!

Well done to all who ran yesterday x

• Options
    TubsterrTubsterr ✭✭✭
    I did 10 miles on Sunday in 2 hrs 15 or so, managed to trot a bit of it too. 18 miles this weekend, then taper. Hopefully I'll get round, pity I've missed so much training though :0(
  • Options
    T

You will be fine, you have kept going and I am sure you will be ok on the day.
  • Options
    Rebecca and O'Donut, I'm also following the "Non Runners Marathon Trainer" - or rather I was, until bereavement, colds and a hip injury put me so far behind schedule that a major panic ensued!

I found the book really good to start with but once I got behind I really floundered.

I'd so bought into the whole "if you follow this, you will get round" that I immediately felt like "if I can't follow this, I won't get round."

I was tearful and depressed about it all for quite a while until I browsed about and looked for some other ideas.

Now I've adopted a run/walk strategy (since the hip is still injured) and I've revised the "Non-Runners" schedule from the book.

So, my long runs between now and the big day will be 15 this weekend, 17 next, 18 the one after and a shorter tapering period.

I kind of followed this strategy at Silverstone this weekend. Finished in 2:41, which I am quite pleased with (especially as 5 mins was spent in the loo) and I'm sure that wind must have taken a good couple of minutes off my time ;)

I'd be interested to know how you both feel about the "Non Runners" programme now? Is it still working for you?

And good luck to everyone on this thread - it's been a real pick-me-up over the last week since I found it!
  • Options
    "that wind" in my last post was the strong headwind we were running into, not a reference to the five minutes I spent in the loo!
  • Options
    And I thought it was thunder at Silverstone, now I know it was you in the loo Emma. :-)
  • Options
    How are you doing your run/walk strategy? I was thinking of starting a run 1 miles walk 1 minute as found 16.5M on sun really hard. I ended up having to take walk breaks after 14M anyway I was wondering if r/w from the beginning really helps as your 1/2 marathon time is faster than mine (2.45 at best). I want to do 18 at the weekend so was going to try then.