Options

Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• Options
    Sorry - should have explained. Have run lots of marathons with a PB of 4.33 in London but gave up running due to illness 6 yrs ago and gained stones. Just started back last year and finding it hard work. Need a stratagy to help me plod round and finish in 1 piece. Think I am looking at 6hr + and I know I can't run it all. My running pace is about 13 min miles.
  • Options
    Yes everyone has been very quiet this week - myself, Liz and Cardiff Staggerer have had an 'easy' week after last week's 16 LSR. Meant to be doing 18 this Sat but don't feel very motivated at the moment - still, only 6 weeks to go so should try to be motivated! We all have a few 'niggles' in our legs though so staying motivated is not easy!
  • Options
    I've been quiet this week because I've done heavy milage (for me) done a 6 (tempo for me), 9 and 4 (sort of a bit intervalish at the end??) three nights in a row and normally never do three runs in a row. Have to do 16 tomorrow even if I crawl around and will definately drive to Richmond park to do this because my Kenwood/hampstead heath hills are little leg killers. I've been told that Richmond is hilly but not as much as the heath. Also all the runners on the heath are a miserable lot who sail past me and ignore my hellos so am looking for a friendly crowd who will at least look down on me sympathetically while I struggle!

Is anyone else doing the silverstone half next week, I am with my husband (who will finish in about 1.45 even though he hasn;t trained since the wokingham half) his marathon training has consisted of the odd run here and there but he will sail through it compared to me - git is the correct term for him!
  • Options
    Also I ahve a ballot place does anyone know when and what I will be sent prior to the expo? I keep panicking that i should have something by now other than the place confirmation.
  • Options
    sarah u wont get anything now the final details are given to u with your race number at the expo. dont worry and dont forget that letter that says you are in cos u cant have your pack without it.did awful 10 today twice stopped and nearly went back but got round.hopefully my training can pick up again, now the funeral is over we now have my mothers heart op come through for 29th march so here we go again.am also doing silverstone.
  • Options
    Tinkerbelle we have so many family health issues in common. My mum had a triple bypass a few years ago and my very health conscious brother had an emergency double bypass last may, they are both fighting fit now though. You need to really take care of yourself now honey and if you are not up to running you can always walk (you will be faster than me anyway)! Don;t push too hard and be gentle with yourself x
  • Options
    Are entries still open for Silverstone. If so, is there a web site or is it postal..Any information would help..
    Here's to another injury free weekends training, lets all try and enjoy as the big day is approaching
  • Options
    You can enter online through events on this website
  • Options
    TubsterrTubsterr ✭✭✭
    Training disrupted again this week, eye flared up Tues (had corneal transplant Nov 23rd) so ended up flying to Liverpool hospital on Weds. Now on anti biotic drops as well as the steroid ones! I'll be easy to spot on the 23rd - I'll be the one limping with one eye shut!!
  • Options
    what a lot we are, who hasnt got their silverstone number yet? website said should come today, they forgot to tell my postie that.
  • Options
    Hi all, good news first or bad? well go for the good. I spoke to the club coach last night about what distance runs I should be doing and he said as I had the mad march hare 20 last weekend I should only run for about an hour this weekend and next (5 miles), and 1-2 longer runs on the weekends following followed by a two week taper of 11ish miles and fiveish miles. now for the bad news - had to pull out of a speed session last night because of a pulled thigh muscle I think less is going to be more in my case. not too many 'empty' miles.
  • Options
    Hi All

I'm glad its not just me , this feels like its getting harder and harder - its not the distance either.... is it just that we're a bit tired of months and months of training??? Last week was 15.5 for me and it was OK (ish) , this week the MK Half - anyone else doing it???
  • Options
    Inverness Half for me this weekend, thats if I can get up the A9 as snow forecast for tomorrow.

After this race will evaluate wither I can do FLM.
  • Options
    Sarah.

Thanks, found it and have entered online so see u all at Silverstone
  • Options
    Guys - what distance will you follow Silverstone with (not in it but just interested) - will you start a taper or up it for a couple of weeks????

Speedy - Good Luck and don't worry about time , just stay comfy without any injury!
  • Options
    I just stepped up my training for the london marathon. Previously i was running about 15KM a week, over two days, and cross training another two days, my physical fitness is good. However, this week I ran about 40KM over 3 days, with rest in between each, and now my knees have gone. Runners Knee. VERY PAINFULL. Cant even walk, but I am scared to take 4 weeks off so close to the marathon. Any advice. I will see a physiotherapist next week.
  • Options
    Fantastic , a stinking cold has arrived , the perfect companion to the MK Half. Its not flu , its just a cold, is there any reason why my notes for the race say running with a cold is dangerous???? I thought colds are colds and if you've got the inclination to run through it then so be it or is there something fundamental i am missing here!
  • Options
    Hi everyone - well Cardiff Staggerer and I have just run 18 miles and walked a mile either side - furthest yet - absolutely shattered now but FLM now seems less daunting than a few weeks ago. Good luck with your weekend runs.
  • Options
    Hi,

I have done 18 miles this morning. Had some low points as was on my own, but did it 15 mins quicker than 2 weeks ago.

HW - take it easy - you don't want to waste all the training again. I am starting to feel the strain. Am meant to be doing my long run (19 miles) on Wednesday before I go to Club La Santa, but may cut it down a bit.

I feel a lot happier about completing the distance now too - although this training is soooo hard!
  • Options
    Taff Tig has modestly not told you about the astonishing pace at which she did the last mile; v impressive. However, a number of things are troubling me as we are 6 weeks away.

Does anyone else find it completely shaming when runners who are clearly out for their morning 5k's overtake you, even though you're on 15 miles pushing for another 3 and staggering in true form? Or is it just me?

Does anyone else find sports gels completely revolting and like slugging back wall paper paste?Which then repeats on you ?

How do you all manage to carry your extra water on the long runs? My waist pack digs in my back where the bottles are stored. Taff Tig says I'll feel better on FLM as we won't have to carry them. Do you think she's right?

I have a blister on my foot which is 2 inches long and one inch wide. I think I'm going to lose some more toenails.
    I hate this running malarky. It HURTS!!!!! and on mile 14 I then have to battle not only the physical challenge but also my head which is telling me to stop.

Does anyone have a nice comfy jacket that does up behind the back for me? I think I need one.

Hope your runs are injury free and less psychologically challenging than mine was today!
  • Options
    u wont need water bottles at flm there are loads of water. i find my bottle is like my comfort blanket feel lost if i havnt got it.still havent got my silverstone number.
  • Options
    well done Cardiff and Taff. Cardiff , i agree re the Gels , don't use them have opted for a combo of Lucozade sport - which is in abundance on FLM day , albeit slightly watered down as I understand and the carbo gel sweets , they last a lot longer than a jellie baby and really are quite nice!!!

Re the toenails .... has anyone seen the cure recommended.... won't be trying it myself...

http://timesonline.typepad.com/london_marathon_weblog/2006/03/the_curse_of_th.html#more
  • Options
    Cardiff i could have written your thread glad i am not alone.
  • Options
    Plan to run light on the day,Shorts, vest,socks and trainers.Even the watch is a pain are there plenty of refueling stations
  • Options
    hi Cardiff
    firstly I'm normally too shattered to worry about faster runners just concentrating on how to get to the next mile mark is all I worry about, as for the extra water I have on of those water bags with the long tube(camelbak) bum bag which I don't feel 100% comfortable with to start with but having fluids on tap is essential, and can't wait to get rid of it at the FLM and rely on what the drinks stations are handing out. Finaly the gels I agree with you yuk!!! need washing done with lots of water to get any effect. Also a note for JulesD Well done on your 18 run and have a great holiday!!!!
    Happy running everyone!?!?!?!?!?
  • Options
    Hi Cardiff,

Enjoyed your thread, made me smile. I am not the only one feeling that way hahaha.

Well done Jules, I only manbaged 16 and a half before my legs decided they belonged to someone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever had a problem with plantar fascitis. My R arch is playing me up a bit and the podiatrist at the local sports ground gave me some aqdvice but it is still a bit troublesome.

Asfor drinks my favourite is the lucozade sports which seems to turn me into Durocell (keeps going!) so I am sticking to it. Hope that it is available at the FLM?
    Anyone been watching the programme at 7 on BBC1 thursdays. I shall never moan again about running. Those guys in the programme are an inspiration bless them. I hope they all achieve their goal.

Keep pounding the streetsguys, only 6 weeks to payday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is anyone doing the Hastings half tomorrow. If so good luck and hope the weather is better than it was shen I did the Dover half. Was a stone heavier at the end with all the water I had absorbed with the rain.
  • Options
    sharon have u tried the frozen bottle of water where u roll your foot with it as often as u can. 3 years ago i had it but didnt hurt while running just first thing and after.since changing my shoes and having orthotics i dont suffer anymore.
  • Options
    am really peed off, went out with the speed bunnies (you would think id learnt by now)to do 14 ish. after a mile i dropped out , now am despondant again but i cant do 8.5 min miles.so its me and the ipod tomorrow alone again.
  • Options
    Didn't get to the Inverness half today. A9 was closed with heavy snow. Heavy snow here in Fife as well. Snowed most of the day. No plod at all for me which does not help with such a short time to go. Thought of going out but even walking down the drive my feet were slipping so rather than risk injury have stayed in.

Hoping for a thaw overnight so I can plod tomorrow night.