Options

Saturday 28th Jan 2006

WardiWardi ✭✭✭
.. 'I'd find a way to believe that it's all true'..

5 miles easy this morning then off to work. Winding down for 20 miles plus on Sunday.

URR.. excellent 5k time, well done indeed.

Good for you Scoobs, nice to hear you are in high spirits again.

Lyrics.. the best known version of this fabulous song was performed by a preposterous crooning lethario who used to think he was Scottish. It was a well known 'B' side to what was arguably his greatest hit. Such was his success rate with wooing beautiful ladies; one of his lavish properties was nicknamed 'Sp*nk Towers' by one of his ex band members. If you can name the writer and original performer of this song you get an extra point.

Have a good weekend all, especially if you are racing.

Comments

• Options
    Morning all,
    FAB - sounds like your stepdad was very lucky.

Mava - hope you had fun at the social.

URR - good stuff - 17.01 next time under 17.

What: 20 miles - ran early 6.30am. Usually run with a group but as they weren't going that far, decided to head out by myself. Wrong idea - should have stuck with the group. You know that feeling that you get near the end of the marathon and you just don't know how you are going to make it to the end...well that was my run today. I used every tool in my arsenal to get myself back.
    Don't think any marathon is a doddle - even 20 miles can be shattering!

Why: I have been stupidly thinking I might run a marathon in the beginning of March so definitely needed to do a few 20 milers. Think - I might think again. I just don't know how hilly can run 20 miles then go out later for another 5. Maybe it has a little bit to do with it not being so hot over there! If I could have put my whole body under a tap today I would have been pleased. I did manage to get water over my head at a few water stops - I had the appearance of a very red-faced swimmer!

Good luck to all racers and people doing long runs.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Morning

NZ Christine - I normally look like a red faced swimmer too, and I run in cold and wet scotland!

Wardi - I recognise the artist, but don't know the song. Great description!

What: long run this morning (hence the early start) and then tri club swim
    Why: tri training and a series of halfs coming up
    Last hard: tuesday
    Last rest: yesterday

Who's racing today??
  • Options
    morning

NZC-Sorry your LR was hard today hope the next time it will be easier I like doing my LSR with company.

What:LSR around 18 miles off road at Afan Argoed again
    Why: keep my schedule in tact
    Last hard: think it is going to be my 3 hour gym session last night

eye today is settling down and joined my gym for a month to see how I get on pretty good value for money and I worked out as I run home from work every day I am saving myself £28.00 and gym membership is £29.50 so it is actually costing me £1.50 :-)))))

Have a great day out there and good luck any racers
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    i know around 2 peeps who have sung this song and the Scottish guy I think unless I am totally off base.

Is it the croaky singer who lives in LA I think!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Good morning

Trini: Give them hell tomorrow.

NZC - 20 milers can be shattering,I had one or two of those recently. I know how hard it is to run your long runs alone,I have never had company and the last few miles really hurt.

Wabo - Wardi's post disappeared for a minute,I am stepping back from the computer :o)

What: 13 brisk miles
    Why: Last long run before marathon
    Last hard: more than a week

Felt strong today,but lately I only feel comfortable after an hour of running.

Have good one and good luck to all racers.
  • Options
    Lyrics: Close but no cigar.
  • Options
    Scooby

I admire you it must be tough at work hope it gets easier for you.

I also have nothing in common with my work mates and I am constantly teased about my running but I refuse to take any notice and I am certainly not changing who I am .

Marathons are Blimming hard always will be in my case so much has to be right on the day......wibble wibble I am not doing a marathon I am trying to tell myself I am just doing it as a training run)tis not really working)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Morning,

NZC, well toughed out - refuel and recover well now.

What: 8 lazy miles over trails
    Why: That's all I am going to subject my body to at this moment in time

Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Friday

Have a goodly day.
  • Options
    Morning all,

NZC - sounds like a tremendous effort - well done for sticking it out. I do all my long runs by myself for timetable reasons, and it is really hard. I use the trick of NOT taking a phone, so that I can't call for a pick up!

Scooby - hope you are feeling cheerier today. If you want to do a very SLOW bike ride tomorrow, I will be running up through Saltram and Plym Bridge Woods.

What: am short hard swim; pm 90 mins bike/turbo
    Why: schedule
    Last hard: Weds ride
    Last rest: Thurs

Am quite sore from weights yesterday, so will take it steady today.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

Well done URR

What: 2 miles
    Why: Racing tomorrow
    Last Hard: Jan 8th

Good luck anyone racing today
  • Options
    morning,

a good campaiging cry from yesterday Blisters with training training training!

no idea on the lyrics but sounds an interesting chap.

what : 4 or 5 miles very easy
    why : easy miles
    last hard : weds
    last rest : thurs

despite deciding against a marathon this year i'm still doing an LSR tomorrow but just 15m with the FLM peeps from our club.If i can keep some long runs going it'll help with the races i have got planned.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.
  • Options
    Hurrah, I know the lyrics, in fact I think I know every word this guy has ever sang.

What- 5 miles nice and easy
    Why- racing tomorrow at Totley

'knowing that you lied' great choice Wardi.
  • Options
    Good effort there NZC.

What: had planned long track sesh this am but need to stay in and look after daughter #2 who is not well. Will see what I can manage this afternoon.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    2 miles (and a bit) d&d.

A bit nippy out but you soon warm up
  • Options
    NZC - don't you think it might have been a reminder from that little 10k you just did? :-)

What: 10 miles at just under 9 minutes per mile according to the schedule.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Been a while...

Changed jobs two weeks ago, so back onto 'London' hours (rather than NY) which means no more morning runs instead trying to squeeze them in at the end of the day.
    Clocking around 30-40 mpw, so ticking over before proper mara training starts next month. (South Downs - June)

Today: 8 miles easy xc

Why : stinking cold but need to get some air

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    No idea on lyrics. Will try to google the answer.

NZC: Having never run more then 16miles for an LSR, I do admire people who can emphasise the "long" in LSR.

FAB: Your step-dad is a lucky man. Regarding your ankle pain - My shoes wear out on the outer lateral edge. Could it be you are anticipating pain when you land hence tensing the foot....which then results in the aforementioned pain? This is currently happening to me. I'm trying to improve my landing (soft/light) by learning how to skip.

What: Whatever I have time for.
    Why: Busy day in NrgWorld.

Will report back later.
  • Options
    Sounds a tough run NZC, but getting through those runs is character building. Everyone has them and your next easy run will be a breeze.

Welsh Poppy - Afan Argoed <green with envy> is one of my favourite places in the UK. Mountain biking heaven.

Some good news here, my wife is pregnant now at 12 weeks. Shame she has had to defer her FLM place after achieving it through the GFA:-)

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

what : 4-5 miles speedwork
    why : 1/2 marathon training
    last hard : thursday
    last rest : yesterday

• Options
    Great lyrics Wardi, I know Tim Hardin does it so I'm going to guess that as the original - love that and the Faces (or is it Rod solo ?) versions.

What - rest
    Why - Had a bit of a reaction to my efforts last Saturday so done nothing since, now come down with a cold so seems silly to risk anything.
  • Options
    ps - the Faces and the Small Faces cover 3 or 4 Tim Hadin songs.
  • Options
    Hadin = Hardin
  • Options
    i guessed rod but don't know which song yet, more clues please

NRG an FAB re ankles and landing - could it be tight calves at the root of it? happens a lot to me i have to do heaps of calf and achilles stretches, leg straight and also knee bent

NZC going crazy - 10k race and 20 miles in the cauldron, you really are up for it at the moment

get well soon mini barnsley

what - rest
    why - race tomorrow
  • Options
    Morning!

NZC - "the run from hell..." - hope you get to enjoy the relaxation from heaven afterwards!

What: First run of the week for me - 5km round the BPTT - took it at 80% of full out effort.
    Why: Testing out my right leg after giving it another 5 days off. Good news so far - felt more like a dull pain than a sharp pain so I reckon I will make it to Wokingham in 2 weeks (but won't be pushing for a PB time). :-)
    Lyrics: Even with all the hints, no
  • Options
    5.3 miles d&d. Lovely run. Very slow. Got lost in woods so ended coming home different route, so that's another new route. T'was very wet and muddy too!!!

Stretch and bath to come.

Missed your long run account earlier NZC. Well battled. They pay dividends over 26.2
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

well done URR

Interesting posts last night on marathon... i was in a quandery until yesterday.. I had been given a club oplace for FLM, then to a couple of weeks later find out that work has planned a marathon challange - to be held 3 days before FLM, I was hoping to get out of it as had place in FLM, but to no avail, so was contemplating doddling both. In the end just didnt think was capable or able..., as it was club place for FLM can still substitute a runnertill mid feb according to rules and regs, so that is what we are doing :-( So still will be training but for a challenge on course that does not have a permit..... could be fun, will also still plan another road marathon later in year as well.

Hills today, will do them a bit later...

Blisters as you say - Training, training, training.

enjoy....
  • Options
    Morning all.

NZC...well done on your long run...I will think of you tomorrow as I drag my a** around Coatbridge and Airdrie

what: 10m @145-150 d&d...some speed returning
    why: work session under Hadd schedule
    last hard: today
    last rest: yesterday

weekly mileage..getting back up..46.5m...

Off now to Kelvinhall to watch the International Indoor Athletics

good luck to all racers..

d
  • Options
    Morning all,

Slept in rather this morning, and feeling the better for it. At the moment just sat on the sofa gathering my energy for...

What: 21 miles
    Why: long run
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Wednesday

Have a good day everyone. I'm just hoping it's not as cold out there as it looks!
  • Options
    Wardi: No idea on the lyrics, and I thought that all artistes in the music business were renowned for their (ahem) prowess.
    NZC: That was a tough run by any standards, and one to store in the bank. Next time you are in the tail of a marathon you can say to yourself "Ha, I've had it worse, now dig in girl and stop wimping"
    WP: Glad things are looking up, down, left, & right! Hope you enjoy the gym, I admit that I only ever fancy it when the weather turns sour.
    BR: I hope that D#2 is OK, and just as importantly - she doesn't give whatever it is to you!
    Gary T: Congrats on the news, crossed fingers for a smooth ride to the finish.

All long runners: have a good one: it's a great day out there, go and enjoy it!

Up at 0620, hit the streets at 0635. My little weather station said it was +1.5 degrees. My @r5e. It was -3 if it was anything.
    Hat, gloves, longs, long top, windproof gilet, and my little bumbag.
    40 minutes: oh oh, I can feel my heel is thinking about having a blister. Stop and play about with trainer.
    45 minutes: Shall we say that there was an unplanned "Natural break" in the proceedings
    And now, with a much lighter gait we continue.
    1:04 at the hour marker, no surprise.
    1:32 at the 1:30 marker, quite pleased, still bouncy.
    Took a tumble on an untreated footpath, I wanted to corner, gravity won. Nothing damaged other than pride.
    2:10 at the newsagent: buy a lucozade sport, as I've finished 500ml.
    2:11 going again: these wheelchanges get better with practice!
    Meet up with one of our club runners. He's found at the very pointy end of the pack and I have to speed up to keep with his jog. Effort level is up beyond conversation pace, but we are trying to converse. It's a good lift for me, as I was drooping. We part after half a mile, but his spirit stays with me to the end of the run, keeping the effort and pace up for the hilly section.
    Home in 2:59:** despite the stops. Feeling very pleased as this is only my second run out of 21 miles.

PS hat and gloves stayed on all the way, and the temp probably rose to the dizzy heights of +1.

Have a good race TMR and the others.
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    morning all. Haven't read back but will do later. Just got up! How lazy is that. As for training...

What: nowt
    Why: just got up :-)

See you all later!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

Podro, you've still got lots of weeks to get the 20 milers in.

Rory, I'm using my half marathon in March.

Snaps, tell her I like the yellow bits too-it must be a woman thing to be attracted to colour and design:o)

Well done on your 5k URR!

Blisters, I do have a bit of a score to settle at Bath, but not with anyone but myself:o) As you know I shouldn't even have started last year, so I'm hoping this year to do what I was so determined to try and do last year!

Well done on your long run.

All those doing long runs today/tomorrow, enjoy. Anyone racing over the weekend, good luck!

NZC, well done for your perseverance. I think the heat would shatter me too!

Thanks everyone, I had a really good evening, with good food and company. I'll change my pic on here for a while to one of me holding my award:o) Will also link to pics on our website when they're on there for anyone who want to view.

what:am 7 miles easy, pm 4 miles steady

why:training, training, training:o)