Options

Saturday 28th Jan 2006

Comments

• Options
    Sportaloo - 3:59:59 or bust! Unless the sun really blasts in which case PB (4:18 or less).
  • Options
    Trini - good luck - hope you get nice cool, overcast conditions. Have a good one.
  • Options
    Evening,

Bit of a late post - ran this morning but then the rest of the day escaped me. Not helped by Mrs SGQ coming over all dizzy, calling the doctor and being told to get herself down to the out of hours surgery. Waited for an hour to see a doctor to find out she has an "inflamed, not infected, ear". Affects her balance only when she lies down and tries to get up again. Her solution is to not lie down. Told her mine would be to not try to get up again!

What: 5.5 miles this am
    Why: mara schedule
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: yesterday

Very cold this morning. Several bits of the run were slower than I felt like running because I was slipping on all the ice. Got round safely, though.
  • Options
    Evening.

What: 7 miles d&d when I finally got my backside out of the door!
    Why: sticking to schedule

Well done all those long runners.

Congratulations Gary and Mrs T.

Congrats too to M, have a good meal out both!

Get well wishes to little BR and Mrs SGQ.

Hope I didnt miss anyone......hope you had a good time at the social mava.....I only missed the train last night because the pub I was in had extended opening hours and I didnt know.....so that wasnt too bad!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Sportaloo: I've only ever done two marathons which were six months apart. My long run for the 1st was 13 miles. For the second it was 14miles unless you count the 26 miles from the 1st ;-) I'm sure I need to increase the duration of my long runs.

BR: lol. And I hope daughter is ok.

Trinirunner: Good luck!

60mins @ avergae 70%MHR done over my local hilly route. By focussing on light gentle footfalls has not brought about any of the previous ankle/calf niggles. I'm now looking forward to my long run tomorrow.
  • Options
    Evening,

Have had an unprecedented 2 days of rest, due to cr*p work week but today made up for it. First of all though,

Congrats to NZC on your 10K win and well done for sticking out your LSD. Good mental practice for the 'thon.

Scooby, sorry to hear of work woes, it's so dispiriting being with people like that, hope things get better soon. I was on a group day on Thurs and realised only me & another guy there were obsessive outdoor people; so used to hanging out with similarly minded folk it was a shock to realise some people's lives don't revolve around physical activity.

Well done on your trophy Hilly, so well deserved too!

Congrats on your wife's pregnancy Gary, bit of an extreme way to get out of a marathon but still...

Decided to drop out of tomorrow's 23 mile LDWA event because a) my partners have dropped out and don't want to run it on my own, b) day better spent with junior SR.
    So today did:

Kentmere horseshoe, 12 miles, 3100 ft ascent. Absolutely stunning winter conditions, sunshine and snow over the tops. Felt really strong and on form, took just under 3 hours which is my benchmark 'fit enough' time.
    Ran into woman with very badly behaved young sheepdog so lost precious minutes standing still so she could retrieve her dog which didn't respond to being called at all, wouldn't be caught and kept jumping up at me snapping at my hands. Not scared of dogs, but annoyed at owner having out of control dog not on a lead, also lambing season is starting around here.
    Then chilled out in Wilfs with large plate of chocolate bread 'n butter pudding & custard, we also got the comfy leather settee ( a rare prize) , bliss!

have a good evening all and good luck anyone racing tomorrow.

• Options
    'Barnsleyrunner': who are you and what have you done with BR???

Hilly - the cycle home after swimming was only 10 mins, so it wasn't too bad, and they keep the pool so warm that I had completely defrosted from the first part of the cycle! Will wrap up warm for my long run tomorrow though...

...if my legs don't hurt quite this much! I did free squats, box jumps and Romanian deadlifts as a superset, leg curl and extension and leg press in the gym yesterday, along with sundry upper body things. These have combined with the uphill part of my ride today to render my legs into strange concrete pillars. I had a little walk earlier to try and loosen them up a bit. Keep telling myself just to suck it up, but I'm sure that whinging makes them feel better!

Who is racing tomorrow?
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Good luck for tomorrow Trini. I hope it works out.

Well done Scar Runner.

AJH, it was a small but select group at the social last night. Some of us are considering a mid-feb curry if anyone's interested.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Very much looking forward to our posh dinner. Just having a sneak peek at venom's offices first. Managed 4 hours on the turbo today (dull but got to watch lord of the rings part1)

congrats to micksta (and to spans and jon pepper too) at the southerns.
  • Options
    Sounds good mava.

Good luck in the marathon Trinirunner.

I am doing Benfleet 15 tomorrow.Just at the moment the prospect is less than appealing.
  • Options
    BR - looking at the results I think I would have come anywhere from 80 to 130. The southern is always weak when at Bicton but the course does not suit me at all. To compare against people on the road, I am faster over 10k than the guy who came 29th but it isn't a road race!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    I'm also doing the Benfleet 15

AJH - See you there.
  • Options
    You certainly will Pammie.

Forgot to say good luck to Tigerrunner for Tough Guy, having done it last year I have to say I do not envy you at all :-)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Gary, hope all goes well.

Just dropping in to congratulate those of you who guessed Rod Stewart as the singer of the lyrics. 'Reason To Believe' was the b side to Maggie May all those years ago. Rod managed to pad out his version to over double the length of the original. Popsider gets the extra point for naming Tim Hardin as the writer and original performer. Hardin also wrote 'If I were a Carpenter' covered by the Four Tops and Robert Plant amongst others.

Have a good night out Venom & M.
  • Options
    Not read thread yet, just dropped in to say:
    What: 7k on tready
    Why: just a short one with a speedy bit to a) remind legs what running is like, b) to be able to tell myself tomorrow when I tire "don't be silly, you're not even running fast" ;-)
    Last hard: ages
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Options
    BR, I agree totally about hte importance of not starting out unreasonably fast in a marathon, but at this stage, 12 weeks and more out, if I was meeting goals which told me I was in shape to meet a target ie if I could run 10 mls at MP on a training run, with tired legs I'd need a tougher goal.

Blisters, yes I'll be a Cheltenham for the last league race in 2 weeks time. Well done on your long run today.

And NZC, well done yours too. Once you've got the first 20 of the campaign done, - as WP says. - the others feel much easier, or at least you must know that sometimes they go well, sometimes they don't.

WP, a whole min/mile faster!

GaryT - congrats; is it to be no.1 ?

MelP, think how much extra strength those aching legs imply !

What: Midland XC champs. A very much better race for me today. I beat lots of rivals and reckon I was c 1:15mins up over c 27 mins on the last few races, so a very happy bunny tonight. But quite why, unless I was more laid back about it, but my legs should have been knackered after the last two week training and no days off :-)

off now for 2nd run, c 6ml

Why: training, training training ;-0

• Options
    No days off, you see TmR:-)

<maybe that's for 2007 - one step at a time...>
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the Southerns xc results link URR.

Well done to Micksta, Karen, JP, Spans and anyone else who raced!

I looked at the womens and thought it was quite a strong field.

Good luck Pammie and AJH at Benfleet! Also Tigerrunner doing the Tough Guy, enjoy, if that's possible:o)

Melissa, I've had the stiff leg syndrome from circuits on Wed. It's only the second time I've been since before xmas so I guess the legs have to get back used to the exercises. Dressing up warm tomorrow for the long run is on my cards too, it really is bitter today and I believe it's going to be the same tomorrow. I'm trying to think which way will be less of a best to avoid a head on wind, but what is it with wind that it always seems to be in the face no matter which way one runs!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well run TmR and glad it went better this week!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Oops I mean which way will be best to avoid head on wind not less of a best, whatever that means:o)
  • Options
    A 20 mile point to point run then Mr Hilly picking you up I think...
  • Options
    Well done Mike B and TmR, bitter conditions for a race. I don't envy the Tough Guy entrants, but I would swap with Trini.

Discovered that the irritation in my trainer was a blister 50mm x 10mm on my heel. That's annoying. I've got 9 more miles to do to hit this week's target. I'll probably pop it tomorrow so that I can train again.
  • Options
    Evening all,

Well done to all who raced, and big well done NZC on her win!

What: Welsh championships - 800m
    PB - 2:06.69
    There were 3 heats to start off with and i was in heat 2. I was hoping for a slow heat so i would have a better chance of getting a medal in the final. Qualifying was winner of each heat + 5 fastest losers. I came 2nd in my heat in 2:09, turns out i had the 2nd fastest time out of the heats. Trust me to be in the fastest heat. Felt good though and was through to the final.

So next up was the final. Bear in mind i was running against the AAA indoor U15 boys champion over 800m, nick johnson and simon lawson who is the AAA indoor 17 champion over 1500m.

There were 8 of us in the final, and as i was on the start line, they announced that i was the fastest man in the field in wales so far this year indoors, which i didnt realised. So the gun went, settled into 5th, was down to 6th at one time, almost tripped up twice as i was catching the one in front of me. Went through 400m in 64, feeling good and in 4th. Came to the bell in 4th still. Kicked and managed to get 3rd and hold on to it by a second or two. SO very pleased ran 2:08, following a 2:09 on the same day.

First 400m i lost at least a second or two due to holding back. Which i now reckon cost me 2nd or even gold as they were 2:06 and 2:07, of course it was nick johnson and simon lawson respectively. So on the podium with these two welsh internationals and aaa champions. Very pleased so im Welsh Indoor Bronze medalist over 800m!

Didnt expect this after only been running for 13months. Also i think im second on the welsh rankings now with last weeks time :-)

Sorry to go on a bit, but im really happy as you can see.
  • Options
    Hey Chris - that's marvellous! And you were wondering the other day if you should turn up?

Shows it's usually a good idea to say yes!
  • Options
    Scooby - I am much better, thank you - poor little miss scooby, it's a bother being a woman sometimes. Difficult decision about Paris, and one that only you can make. Now if the sheik of Paris die, would they postpone it?

Trini, good luck for tomorrow!

Mel, I find that for me slow breaststroke really helps aching muscles. Also, it is for me disconcerting that tri/im begins with swimming. Wouldn't it be best at the end? What's the rationale behind it? I am sure there is one, I just don't know it.

Poppy hope you enjoy the gym - I love weights! You'll be surprised how fast you can progress. For me, apart from the visible esthetic benefits, it has the added advantage of being able to carry my 3 stone child on my shoulders for a long time.

Gary, congratulations on future baby news!

What: 1,200 m swim, bodypump
    upped weights again, now I use 10kg for biceps/triceps. Roar!
  • Options
    Chris, that's fantastic!!!

Now I know which time to aim for when I do 800m reps (ha ha)
  • Options
    Congratulations Chris. You must be chuffed, and deserve to be.

Venom, 15 mins in a cold bath after a 21 mile run. Are you mad? Tried something similar and didn't get much beyond 15 seconds.

Best of luck tomorrow Trinirunner. I hope it stays cool for you.
  • Options
    BR: I was wondering if to turn up at the AAAs the other day not the welsh championships. But theres a 90% chance of me going now :-)

Thanks for the congrats
  • Options
    Great Chris - you can 'go on' about a race like that as long as you want!
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Fantastic Chris. Well done. You have every right to be pleased.