Options

seen any good flicks lately?

Comments

• Options
    Quite right! Wasn't going to type in the whole lot, though! I think there's more women than men generally working in production these days?
  • Options
    Anyway, I have been looking at my (small) collection, and just for the heck of it I'm going to re-watch the original "The Fog", having heard there is a remake (for which I will not pay the price of a cinema ticket!!)
    Have a good one-
    'nite Kids! :)
  • Options
    Tonight I'll be watering my horse in the Rio Grande...

Off to watch 'Once Upon a Time in the West' surely the greatest spaghetti Western ever made...

Thought for the night I wonder if Alice Braga from 'Cidade Baixa’ is related to Sonia Braga (Kiss of The Spider Woman)?

Nite all
  • Options
    Was just looking at Ms Bigelow's resume (don't the accent) on IMDB. Point Blank is amongst my favorite films. Very enjoyable every time I watch it....I will probably watch it tonight now. But she hasn't made that many movies and not all of them are as good. The Weight of Water has one of my most listened to soundtracks but I haven't seen it yet; I'll have to put that right soon. Strange Days was ok and I didn't mind K-19. Pretty impressive looking woman though; not that I'd judge her by that of course.
  • Options
    Once Upon.... didn't have Clint so it can't take that honour IMHO. Fonda was good though.
  • Options
    Corinth- she's the niece.
    Earl- "Weight of Water"- my territory- axe murders! :)
    Switching off now.....
  • Options
    There was a movie about an Italian serial killer a few years back but I can't think what it was called. Any ideas?
  • Options
    00!

Roberto Succo.

Was waiting for the 00 :)
  • Options
    "Psycho killer, qu'est que c'est
    Fa fa fa fafafafa far better
    Run run run run run run away
    Psycho killer, que'st que c'est...

Moomoo, I knew there was a family (ahem) resemblance re Braga..

Earl... I'm afraid I don't agree re Clint... though, I can understand your reasoning..
  • Options
    "Ah, freak out
    Le freak, c'est chic
    Freak out
    Ah, freak out
    Le freak, c'est chic
    Freak out" :)

Corinth- apparently Clint turned down Fonda's part.
    IMHO- for a truly great Spaghetti WEstern, you had to have:
    1) Sergio Leone directing
    2) Clint (for the "myserious" aspect)
    3) The Music by Morricone

My personal favourite at the moment is The Good, The Bad, & the Ugly.

I've sat through masses of all sorts of westerns in my time, but I have a soft spot for "The Man who shot Liberty Valance". Will think of others...
  • Options
    My reason for lauding 'Once upon a Time in the West' is that it overturns some of the conventions of the earlier spaghetti Westerns and by doing so adds depth and mystery to characterisation...

Don't get me wrong, I love the three Eastwood/Leone flms...

But OUATITW adds a different dimension... who'd have thought it Blue Eyed Henry Fonda everyone's favourite uncle as the sadistic cold hearted Frank.... the Hispanic looking Bronson as the nominal 'good guy' I also think that Morricone surpasses himself in this film with his operatic and haunting score...

And as for Claudia Cardinel (what is it with me and latin looking women?)

I think this ranks as my favourite Western, a genre I'm not over fond of... though honorable commendations for 'Outlaw Josie Wales' 'The Searchers' and 'Unforgiven'.... also liked 'Johnny Guitar'
  • Options
    'Red River' was also very good... apart from the contrived and poxy ending
  • Options
    OK, so "Once upon a time..." is Spaghetti with a bit more cultshah? Given that it was made a few years later, things would have evolved a bit, and there's no denying Fonda was great in the the role. BUT it's a matter of identifying the "mysterious stranger" type of role more with Clint, and ultimately I remember his spaghettis more because of that, even if it's just by virtue of quantity :)

"Unforgiven" was great, I've seen that several times! :)

Red River- I agree with you assessment of the ending, but the rest was great- the plot based on "Mutiny on the Bounty" with the relationship between the John Wayne- M. Clift characters (forget their names), the b/w cinematography, etc. Howard Hawks directed?

Claudia Cardinale- Italian. I think she's great. You might remember her from "8 1/2" with the fab Marcello Matroianni. Weird movie, that one...

• Options
    *****WARNING*****

DO NOT GO AND SEE DATE MOVIE!!!!

Review to follow after I've calmed down
  • Options
    Hmmm... on second thoughts I'll sleep on it

(where's the valium?)
  • Options
    Just watched The Hunted for the second time having seen it first when it was in the cinema and enjoyed it more this time round. Ignoring the occasional silly bit of Tommy Lee (hard to believe that there's a video of him and Pamela Anderson doing the rounds), the cliches (don't do the accent) "I don't do that kind of work anymore." etc it's actually quite entertaining. Del Toro can be blamed for that, very watchable even when doing/saying silly stuff.

Forget that Tommy has done this schtick a few times before, don't think it's The Fugitive crossed with Grissly Adams, and some of the improbables of an aging master outdoing the younger student. In fact, ignore the Hollywood tag and imagine that the Canadians made it, it's not silly but actually quite a tidy little film.
  • Options
    Corinth- I felt the same about Notting Hill!

D- I'm not familiar with "The Hunted" :(

I'm actually more into books than movies, so if I'm watching something at home, it's very possible that I'm reading at the same time :S (Sacrilege!)
  • Options
    Now's your chance :) though it's a bit violent 'n' stuff.

Maybe we should start a film club. Sort of like a book club but for lazy people and people into films.

:)

Not just movies at the cinema but DVDs an' all.

Just an idea.
  • Options
    ..hang on a minute, that sounds vaguely familiar. Remember "The Mechanic" with Charles Bronson & Jan-Michael Vincent, seventies? Bronson plays hitman who unwillingly takes on an apprentice, and then he becomes the target...

'Night, kids! :)
  • Options
    It's just ketchup, you div!

How would this work, in terms of coordination?

My former place of employment had a decent cinema as well as theatre club thing.
    By the way, I normally don't like sitting in smelly theatres, but I noticed recently that theres several cinema famous faces on SWhaftesbury Ave (too tired to remember names).

'Nite again! :)
  • Options
    No, different from The Mechanic (which is an oft watched favorite late night movie).

Well, DVDs is easy. Somoeone suggests a film then everyone gets hold of it and watches it and offers a critique.

Movies not so easy to organise as not so flexible.

Say 1 DVD a week and 1 movie a month or whenever. Artsy cinema releases will be harder to organise and cheeky swines what can go see Blade Runner at the pictures an' all when others (me) can't. DVDs can be new releases and classics (old) movies.

I don't know, just throwing it out there :)

Sleep well.
  • Options
    if its ok I would like to join :)
  • Options
    ...more on that tomorrow- v. good idea, like with the books. give a list of several people can pick one, etc.

"By the time you read this you will be...

...asleep!"
    x :)

• Options
    Ask Dodge nicely ;)

nite!
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz

• Options
    There's no membership card or badge. There isn't even a little RWMovie Club Member poster to hang on your wall.

:(

...but we are open to almost all comers.
  • Options
    Good idea, Earl I'll av sum of dat