Options

Run for Glory

Comments

• Options
    thought it was very poor tbh

they dont seem to have a clue about encouaraging people to train and build up their fitness and endurance

i cant believe that they dont have some proper coaches involved in the background - although John Brewer is credited in the titles

and why wasnt Linda (?) getting physio on her hip

Dr "I Wanna be Gillian McKeith" ( "ive run run 3 marathons therefore blah blah ) should have been ensuring that she was getting the appropriate treatment to ensure that she can build up the mileage

i think they are applying an approach more suited to "intermediates" than raw beginners in most cases ..no one seemed to be encouraged to do any sort of run /walk recovery that would help them build their endurance - instead they were making all the mistakes that beginners make - doing intervals too soon , going out fast/too fast ( go flat out for the 5mile when they were building up etc)

the only people who will "succeed" ie run the whole race in what they consider a decent time - will be the already reasonably fit

not encouraging for beginners
  • Options
    I just wonderd
    are they REALLY expecting peopkle to sort their training out alone-or is there more support than we see on film?
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Must be more support, friend of mine know's Linda and says they've been out to Oz for a training camp!
  • Options
    well, the general public form this will get totally the wrong idea about how to survive distance running
  • Options
    feck

Im a distance -er plodder
  • Options
    Just saw it, I am bit concerned some have to loose a lot of weight in a very short amount of time. Can't be too good and healthy. With all the skin, they will look like wearing a diving suit.

I can see some who managed the 5m in January in sub 1h being able to run parts of the marathon. Finishing is a different story. For the others it will be extremly hard, looking 5h+ on their feet. I reckon they have to drop out due to injury, muscle fatigue.

• Options
    A training camp in oz ?? Whats the point in that - oh hang on - photogenic ??

Waste of time with all the travelling to and from. It's all complete rubbish.
  • Options
    I have to say, I think the program would be much more entertaining if it followed a format like Channel 4's "The Games" - that's a show I quite enjoy
  • Options
    Did anybody understand why they are doing all the survival camp exercises? I guess they want to develop some sort of feeling what's it like , pain barrier etc. developing team spirit. Does this has to be top priority? Marathon running is not really a team exercise, nobody will help them during the marathon.

They would have achieved better results with more individual training.
  • Options
    I seem to be playing devils advocate... I think it was Cram did say something this time about the idea being to run the marathon not walk/run it. If so fine, but that should have been made clear from the start?

Preeti I guess had to go. But I hope someone suggested she keep training. She did show she's got guts if she could only keep it up and keep showing it! Maybe she could make it run/walking.

I was thinking last week the rowing sort of made sense if they wanted to give them a physical challenge without tiring out their legs before the mile test. But they did rather go and blow that theory out of the water! I can still sort of see the mental element of doing the other stuff, but in the third episode I think they've done enough of that really.

I think this could have been a great program. But it's hardly less shallow than Celebrity Fit club. Maybe they are worried about being sued if someone follows fitness advice off the show and gets hurt? If so it would be better to give some advice than let people jump to conclusions from what they are seeing! They've mentioned doing run/walk in training, they're wearing good shoes (and I think I spotted running socks this week), but there is such a lot they are not talking about!
  • Options
    I think anyone getting injured in this training would have a blummin good reason to sue the asses off the producers...

These are members of the public that wanted a chance to run the FLM, and the ones we've seen have got good reasons for doing it.

They've put their faith in the people making the prog, and from what we've seen and will see next week - the producers have no idea at all...

Anyone here running FLM been training by pulling a tyre behind them ???

Thought not.
  • Options
    oh
    i just posted on the old thread for this

bloomin terrible prog

it's cr*p cr*p cr*p

it doesn't even work from the entertainment soap opera viewpoint

and as for encouraging people wathcing it to run and get fit (which SHOULD be it's purpose imho bbc licence fee and all that)
    well
    tis appalling

i like michelle's spirit
    but
    she has the least probs to battle with out of the overweight ones i'd say

the one's who need a lot of emotional support are just being used as camera fodder for "this is how crap people are"

with a guilt layer on top of suggesting you don't be too harsh because they have difficult home lives

makes me furious

especially the one with the kid that has DMD

they really are wasting her time if they aren't gonna support her properly
    then
    like michelle said
    she's stealing that time away from being with her kid for a pointless poke in the eye with a big stick

and why does the black guy get nothing but a quick camera rollover shop
    no time given for his 5 mile?

no discussion of relative performance of men women either or of ages
    eg was first woman home at 48mins
    actually "doing better" than younger guy with 38 mins?

and the fact that they don't seem clear on their basic run vs run/walk approach is ridiculous

i agree with what cougs said about suing if they get injured
    tis p*ss poor
  • Options
    Buney
    i hated the doc too

classic example of someone who's no doubt never had a weight problem in her life
    and just doesn't get it

Preeti was asking really clearly for help with her diet
    and no one seemed to be given her any

that is shocking
    perfect platform to help loads of peeps

• Options
    Oooh I hate the doc. No real reason - just don't like the look of her...
  • Options
    I didn't get the doc - one minute (according to the voiceover I think) sheapparently thought the hip problem was "all in the mind", the next she's mentioning "weak muscles".
  • Options
    I didn't see last week's but they do seem to be focusing on those who are struggling - there were so many peeps I wanted to ehar more about
  • Options
    I'm not allowed to watch this programme anymore, Mrs M is sick of me shouting at the telly
  • Options
    Hey there,
    Thought I would butt in on this thread as I've been watching too. I think they are focusing too much on the negatives and not enough on the positives. 6 months ago, I could not even run 2 miles. I ran 17 miles last weekend and it was great after non-stop training for the last 6 months. I'm running the Silverstone half this weekend, the Cranleigh 21 the week after and then it's countdown to Marathon day. If you had told me 6 months ago I would be where I am now, I would have say "NO FLAMING WAY!!" I say, good luck to all of them and I hope I see them on the course on the 23rd.
  • Options
    Well done Cezzy. You will clearly be well prepared on 23rd.

Difference here is though that FIVE months before this event some of these people struggled to WALK ONE mile. Many of these people were seriously out of shape- I would have had more time for it if they were preparing for flm 2007. Foolhardy to put the idea of flm 2006 into these peoples heads in my opinion.
  • Options
    Absolutely, I agree completely Banana Split. I feel for them all I really do.
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    This week's programme was the worst so far. The bit that really annoyed me was when the woman who wouldn't try the assult course rope-net thingy was told - if you can't get over that then how can you complete a maratahon. The two things are poles apart - the mental toughness needed to conquer a fear of heights is hardly the same as what she will need to conquer the marathon! I wanted to scream at the telly!

And how much food did Pritti say she had eaten on her birthday? No wonder she can't lose the weight. I'm glad she has been told to give up the marathon but I really hope she gets some support for her eating problems.

Love Michelle though - great family support and she is trying so hard. Linda is a bit pathetic although I agree the doc's attitude was poor.

Let's see some more of the other people.

And why do they have to keep repeating so much every week. I think we know by now that " 4 years ago, John was a successful investment banker before he was knocked down etc etc..."
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    bloody hell.. just watched this for the first time last night.. When I'm training for a marathon you would'nt catch me running on an uneven pavement for fear of injury never mind a feck'in assault course .. madness !!!!

those couple of hours spent negiotating those stupid obstacles would have been much better spent doing a nice easy hour long run (or run/walk if necessary)..

and that doctor is annoying..
  • Options
    This reminds me why I don't watch reality tv! Doc thinks she's Simon Cowell & we have to get people kicked out to be like pap idol/bog bother!
    Yes, last night's was the worst so far & I very nearly gave up on the prog. Yes, we know he had an accident, you told us last week!
    I still can't see the point of kicking out Pritti. Surely, it would be better for her to continue than give up.
    It's already been said, but this prog is not really aimed at runners.
    If it doesn't improve next week, I'm giving up.
    Is anybody enjoying it?
  • Options
    I missed last night's edition of this - watching mainly because i am obsessed with the FLM and will watch anything with 'run' in the title at the moment. Makes me sad that they don't seem to be getting good coaching advice from the sound of the other comments on this thread. Surely people who have been unfit all their lives cannot seriously be expected to suddenly up and train at the intensity required just from one weekend coaching out of every month. I am a very motivated indivisual yet I know that without the support of my husband and my running club, I would stuggle big time with some of my longer runs. How on earth are these guys, with no background in self motivation, going to manage this on what sounds like a lot of 'harsh words' from their so called coaches. If the longest Sally Gunnel has ran is a half marathon then is she really the right person to be chastising these folk?

However - not surprised Pritti is out. Poor lass needs more help than she was getting.

So, now that my rant is over - what else happened? What did the doc say to Pritti?
  • Options
    I also can't understand the lack of coverage of some of the runners. All three weeks so far seem to have focused almost entirely on Linda, Michelle and the now discarded Preeti. A little bit of Steve and John. The only time one of the other ladies got a mention was when she was temporarily refusing to complete the assault course. Clint and JJ had to be the first man and woman to finish the 5 miler just to get a mention (as others have said 38 mins is a respectable time - would be interesting to see what sort of training Clint's doing midweek). All the others have had so little coverage I don't even know who they are.
  • Options
    Suppose I'd better not complain too much or Artemis will be harassing the BBC again ;-)
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Seems there are 3 I've not even seen mentioned yet....

George Ikediashi, an overweight law graduate and drag queen - running for Shine Theatre Trust

Dean Smith, a financial adviser who is struggling to come to terms with his stepson's suicide - running for The Samaritans / If U Care Share Campaign

Jerry Hodgson, a grandfather and former Royal Marine who is battling a virus that can cause paralysis - running for The Musgrove Special Baby Care Unit, Taunton Hospital

Why is it only the ones not doing so great being featured?