Options

Run for Glory

Comments

• Options
    are we seing all of their support though?
  • Options
    I guess we are only seeing what they want us to see. I hope they are getting more support - but they havent mentioned it, and Pritti didn't mention it.

Gunnell may have completed the GNR, but thats nothing compared to a marathon. Would you take advice from someone who hasnt done what they are trying to train you to do ?

Seems like each month they choose a photogenic activity to show us and test them the next day on the track. High Ropes and Rowing are pretty much irrelevant - does anyone here consider it essential ? ;-)

Next week - an assault course ??? Should be good for a few injuries if nothing else.

I hope they succeed in their task, but seems to me that they've set some of them up to fail ?
  • Options
    I'm with Hippo. Feel like shouting YOU ARE ALLOWED TO WALK FLM!' at the screen. Like I've said before, the charity gets the money whatever speed you do it. I don't think the celebrity coaches have quite grasped that idea. They definitely seem to be in the 'run it or it doesn't count' school.

I found it pretty funny when they revealed two of them had done it slower running than run/walking the month before. In fact I think I have to go replay it to see Sally Gunnel's face again. LOL

Also on running pace: though I'm not much good for running right now, I'm always the person who's constantly overtaking other people on pavements (gets very annoying in crowds...), so I'm a fast walker. But I've found out now I take quite a bit longer than 15 minutes! 15 minutes was the 4 miles an hour pace of the roman centurians: not normal walking pace!

On the other hand it has inspired me. I'm now determined to be able to run a mile in a month's time!

And I can sort of see the point of the different activities. I think if you are starting from a very low level of fitness you are less likely to injure yourself if you exercise in different ways. I've found swimming good myself: I can do more days training each week if they are not all running. I think the first month they said the training program was two runs per week, plus two other cardio sessions of their choice. I think basically they are just getting them to be active in lots of different ways. Agree it's partly for good telly though...
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I first programme they showed them how to run walk. They should be able to run a mile, but to run a whole 5 miles with out walking breaks it too much for some.

They should do cross training with them on the weekends, like swimming, bike riding and the gym. That would help them more.
  • Options
    I have some dietry advice for Pritty that she may not like

• Options
    Eat less and exercise more?

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Why are they just focusing on the same people - there are a few that haven't been shown at all, so I hope they get their day in the spotlight soon. Maybe once a few of the others have dropped out....

I thought Michelle's attitude was great, and her family were brilliant. So I hope she lasts the course.
  • Options
    I made it back in time to watch this last night. i agree with some of the comments on here - espec whether it was fair to put some of these people on the programme and them set them targets they can't meet?

It does seem slightly designed to show failure - I was very shocked when they just told Pritti to sort herself out. Clearly she needs some strong support and advice and I suspect telling her that probably sent her home via the nearest chocolate shop.

I expected to have limited sympathy with some of these people but at the end of the programme found myself strongy rooting for them...mostly cos I find Gunnell and Cram so annoying!!

....guess I'm hooked!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the programme and so pleased Steve lost a lot of weight, he does seem to be motivated.
    Michelle was inspiring too as she has that determination that she'll need for the marathon - I hope she doesn't get chucked off the programme.
    I thought Linda and Pretti were pathetic, both trying to do as little as possible and excuses, excuses. Especially Pretti who said 'I need help with the food', She has had a month to research/read etc all she'll ever need to know about healthy eating. When she didn't make her target weight loss why didn't she ask the doc what she should be eating.

But Sally Gunnell showed her complete lack of knowledge about marathon running when she said to one of the trainees that she would be 'breathless during the marathon' and we all know that if you're breathless during a marathon then you're in trouble.

Steve Cram knows his stuff though, he's run at least two good marathons plus Comrades.

I don't think 5 miles is too tough a target. I've found with my beginners that once they 'find their pace' and can run a mile, extending that distance can be done in a very short time.
  • Options
    Didn't know Steve Cram had run comrades. Isn't that 90km or something?
    Anybody know what his marathon PB is? Or what time did Sally Gunnell do in GNR?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    MrLoverman - I think Steve Cram has done 2.35 and a little slower 2.45 when he didn't have much time to train!!
    Don't know Sally's GNR time

Pix - they won't be able to defer. FLM will have given/sold those places to the BBC but no chance to defer.
    Last year one of the girls in my group won a place from RW, she was carrying an injury and did complete it as no chance to defer.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    he ran sub 10 hrs for comrades it is 89.2Ks give or take

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    in 1999 I believe
  • Options
    I would much rather have a programme the focussed on the Joe average rather than 'watch the no-hopers fail' which they seem to have aimed for.

It would have been interesting to see them focus on one or two of the more average entrants from the start - just average, not very fit, a bit (but not enormously) overweight, every day entrants. Then shown the journey that these people need to take to attempt the marathon. By the time they get round to featuring these, they will have already made such tremendous strides.

That would have been the inspiring side of the programme, seeing an 'ordinary' person do it - not seeing an overweight, unhealthy person fail.

WildeRover
  • Options
    Thanks Shades/UG. So a 2:35 PB for Cram. That is the kind of time most of us can only dream of. I guess a world class runner like him can move up a few distances (like 26x the most he used to run competitively!) and still put in a fantastic performance.
    89.2K is just ridiculous! That's more than two marathons! I believe it's all uphill as well isn't it? Starts on the coast at Durban and off up into the hills. Massive respect to you guys who do ultras.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    It changes each year and they call it the up or down run. This year is an up.
    You run over 5 mountain ranges either way.

Durban is at sea level and Peitermaritzberg is not.

Oh, and its great fun
  • Options
    UG - I'll take your word for it that it's fun! Sounds like hell on earth to me ;0) - but what an achievement.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    doing my second this year :¬)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Only trouble with taking an average 'Joe Public' is that we all know that just about anyone can complete a marathon if they put their mind to it, so it would be a bit dull as telly viewing - except to us runners. And I'm sure some of the group will succeed.
    This programme may be trying to get the message over that if you want to do a marathon you should put the work in first, not just turn up on the day

re the run/walk - that's what a lot of them will be doing anyway on race day, but they should still be able to run shorter distances without walk breaks (e.g. five miles)
  • Options
    You mean you did it once and you want to do it again???!
    Running a marathon was a challenge enough for me - as you've probably guessed I have no aspirations to try any further!!
  • Options
    Can I just say that 15 min mile is no way my walking pace - was very annoyed at that demotivational comment from Mr Cram.
  • Options
    He has got long legs though.

Walking pace is what - 20 mins a mile ?
  • Options
    And if he was talking about race walking, then he's way off - they can walk a mile in 7 mins or so.....
  • Options
    Results from a 5K race in Melbourne a couple of days ago:

1 Nathan Deakes AIS
    18:45.19
    2 Luke Adams NSWIS
    19:01.73
    3 Adam Rutter AIS
    19:36.30
    4 Michael McCagh AIS
    19:54.60
    5 Duane Cousins VIS
    20:08.22

Quite impressive? Yes, especially as it was a walk!!
    I make that 6 min/mile walking pace!!
  • Options
    you know what I mean
  • Options
    Ah - I based my times for a 15km walk. They do slow down a bit don't they.

I did pass a guy on a bike when I was running this morning, I would have been very p**d off to have a walker come past me though !
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    15 min/miles is my normal walking pace and if I take a walk break in a race I can walk faster than that.

I am a carp runner but a good walker
  • Options
    Yes I agree, Sarah. 15 min/mile is quite a brisk walk even for someone with long legs. As IC said, I think 3 mph (ie 20 min/miles) is regarded as normal for a leisurely stroll.