'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options
    Morning peeps!

Liked the joke WeePee

:-))
  • Options
    Morning peeps and crocks.
    WP - hope the leg is feeling better today. I awoke to news of the great piglet heist, but relieved to hear you weren't involved.
    Chimp - could you add a new section to your list? I'm going to the FLM with the supporters group, and it would be good to know if any other oldsters are going to be around. Maybe I should get a banner so that I can wave at JJ, Piglet, Helen W et al in an old and supportive way.
  • Options
    Good morning,

Hope all are okay. I have not looked outside, but the wind is howling. It will be nice, if the wind is behind me as I hate running into the wind. Of course, my running reminds me of the Bob Seger song... "Well I'm older now but still running against the wind." Feeling nostalgic or maybe lazy. Maybe, I should shutup and go run. Have a nice one.
  • Options
    Come on you Gills.

Poor lowly team need all the support they can get agianst the mighty well oiled machine that's the product of Yorkshire's finest.

WeeP glad the calf's recovering, I do something horrid to mine every 3/4 months or so (though not as bad as crutches) and I find after about 3/4 days I can use a bicycle and run after 7/10. i do wonder whether calf raises would help minimise the risk.
  • Options
    BTW to change the subject, I have problem with mice in my loft. so far the record is:

6nights trap setting of 2 traps = 12 pcs carrot set out
    8 pcs carrot taken
    8 traps sprung (not 100% overlap with above)
    1 mouse caught

I worry that this approach is feeding them up so they breed faster than I catch the devils.

Any advice
  • Options
    Morning all, methinks it could be a tad chilly outside so I think I'll just potter around inside today. Went for a sports massage yesterday, you don't arff get a pummelling, muscles feeling a bit sore today.

ACW I've been very gentle with you, I've not mentioned it, I've just sat back and gloated in silence, unusual for me I know.

Jim C whereabouts are you from.
  • Options
    Dont think I'm not grateful WW!

See Gillingham owner has criticised Ridsdale in the press this morning. Leeds fans just love having their shortcomings pointed out by Nationwide teams.

Well done Scally!! You've just taken the heat off El Tel and Ridsdale and guaranteed your fans and players a typically warm Leeds Utd reception tonight!!
  • Options
    Very late good morning to one and all. More technical problems now proved to be BTs fault. Someone's bill ain't gonna get paid.

Supporting Leeds or the Gills seems a bit like the choice between a rock and a hard place. Now if it was Watford............ or Harlequins playing I might have more interest 'specially if Quins were playing Leeds.
    JJ
  • Options
    sfh legs.
    Leave some mini-condoms and a book on reproduction lying around. Eventually they'll die out.

Wicked Witch.
    Don't worry about my dibber I've found a substitute. Just appeared it did, quite spontaneous like.

If anyone's interested I did 7 miles this a.m. including 2 x 1/2mile fast and 5 x 300metre sprints. No trouble. It might be encouraging for some if I add that 5 days ago it was an effort to put one foot in front of the other. No accounting for it really. Physio tonight to see if I recver quicker.
    JJ
  • Options
    sfhl: I had mice a few years back and decided to use humane traps baited with Mars Bars. When I caught one I took it to a field several miles away and released it. The next one I caught was heavily pregnant and so, being both sentimental and daft, I drove to the same field and tried to reunite her with her significant other. In the end we caught about 20 of them and I spent a fortune in petrol setting up a colony in the next county. What became apparent was that after a while they were quite friendly; my children were watching telly one day and called out "Dad, there's a mouse", I came in and they were all on the floor (mouse included) watching the box. I picked the mouse up by its tail and took it to that bloody field. Anyway, they've gone now but I still think about them and hope they're ok.
  • Options
    Ah! How sweet.

Quite out of character.
    JJ
  • Options
    DavidB - is it the mice that have gone or your children?
  • Options
    It was easier to get rid of the mice, there was only 20 of them.
  • Options
    Where's Everard? I'm worried that his wife has spirited him off to Ulan Bator or wherever it was she commutes to.
    Has anyone offended him?
    JJ
  • Options
    (Whispers: JJ I'm trying to come across as sensitive, the girlies love that you know.)
  • Options
    I suspect that Everard is lost on some year old thread, possibly on another set of forums, without realising where he is.
  • Options
    DavidB
    I know, I keep changing tactics but it doesn't change my luck. Don't they understand that they're safe with me? Only want quiet candlelit dinners, good conversation, read them a goodnight story, tuck them in and creep off quietly into the night.
    Do you think that line might work?
    JJ
  • Options
    DB, not a chance. :-)

JJ, Saracens, not 'quins please.

Mice, get rid of the cat. My cat used to bring them in alive in order to teach me how to catch them. She would turn her back on the mouse and snigger while I chased around with a shoebox... After the cat die, no more mice - simple.

Emptying the house of children took a bit longer (sniff, I miss them now they're gone, they always said I would)
  • Options
    WW - I am in South Carolina.

Helen - I may change my mind, but look forward, at times, to my children leaving. My son attends the local university, but is a Pre-Pharmacy major. In another year or so, he will HAVE to transfer to the medical university.

I should work for the postal service. Neither rain, nor wind, nor gloom of night keeps me from my appointed rounds. I ran seven, but nothing fast about them. I did have negative splits, which I like. Stepped out into rain and wind. Rain, darkness and glasses make for a tentative run sometimes. It was warm (61*F), but I thought it can't get much worse. I was wrong. There was a thunderstorm (accounts for negative splits). It's just not natural to have a T-storm in the winter. I survived. I've stuffed newspapers in my shoes to dry them. Have a great day!
  • Options
    Hi Jim!

Hey did anyone watch Jacko last night?? What a freak!!!

Believe its on ABC on Thursday night Jim.

How on earth he's allowed to look after children beggars belief. Reckon our own NSPCC must operate in Neverland!!
  • Options
    HW

no cat. Have thought about katnapping nieghbours moggies and locking them in the loft. however, they run faster than me :-( even though they look "portly", saw one completely lose out to a squirrel the other day - not even close.

Katnapping would of course stop the catsh*t in flower bed problem we have.

Anyone know of any humane catraps?
  • Options
    Thanks, Chimp. I am not a Jacko fan, but I will keep it in mind. He is definitely different.
  • Options
    Hi/Howdy/Good afternoon Folks,

Still trawling through the accounts of transatlantic bridge-building at my usual funereal pace and am on page 51. Came across the ambition to achieve the impossible dream or some such.

I feel this is a very dangerous notion and may encourage the likes of DavidB and his pal Billow to serious excess. Lord knows what their dreams are like if their messages to this list are anything to go by.

btw My absence has been occasioned by a two day spell at Heathrow helping my better half get on a non-cancelled BA flight followed by a XC race at Cirencester. Trounced by the first V60 in the race and didn't even get close enough to ask him his training methods. I think he just runs 100s of miles. He has certainly done the London to Brighton not too long ago.

Ah well back to the homework.

• Options
    Welcome back Everard. I shall remove you from my "missing, presumed working" list.

Didnt see Redhead or LizzyB on your travels did you?
  • Options
    OK, an update

FLM

JJ
    Wee Piglet
    Helen Wheels
    Ironwolf
    Benz

FLM supporters

Meerkat

Crocked

Helen Wheels
    Meerkat
    Wee Piglet
    LUFC

Missing, presumed working

Redhead
    LizzyB

Geezerbirds

Slowjo Rodriguez
    X-Ray Ted

• Options
    Hi y'all - good to know I'm sort of missed!

Not accessed site recently, as have been suffering from the following:

Work/international jet setting
    Visiting Academics (a rare disease - once they come and stay in your house your internet connection is not your own).
    But mainly.....

The ski slopes have opened! I'm off there now on my new snowboard .....

PS still running though ...
  • Options
    OK, yet another update!! If Redhead pops in in the next 5 minutes i will scream!!

FLM

JJ
    Wee Piglet
    Helen Wheels
    Ironwolf
    Benz

FLM supporters

Meerkat

Crocked

Helen Wheels
    Meerkat
    Wee Piglet
    LUFC

Missing, presumed working

Redhead

Geezerbirds

Slowjo Rodriguez
    X-Ray Ted

• Options
    Wow!

Up-to-date at last. Could have saved myself a lot of eyestrain by not bothering.

Now what did I think of saying? Sorry to hear about the injuries. WeeP, If the leg has to come off don't forget your old friends. It could provide a good foundation for a barbeque at JJ's.

JJ, Don't get lured into thinking that "Masters" is preferable to "Veterans". How can Senior Master compare with SuperVet as a description of our performance.

And... Master is not politically correct. Iwill not accept Lady Master as a serious description of any runner male or female whereas MV and LV seem to me to represent an accurate and non-discriminatory way to record different categories in a race.

An the other hand.... if we did convert to Masters would LVs become Mistresses. Senior Mistresses?? Games Mistresses?? Head Mistresses?? French Mistresses?? Latin Mistresses?? Latin American Mistresses??

Where was I? The room's gone black. Is ti time for coffee? Is that JJ's welly I see before me?

Back in a jiffy.