Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options
    JJ,

We play mighty Gillingham. FA Cup replay. Our last chance at any sort of success.

I fancy a Leeds win after extra time and maybe penalties. Yes, its come to that!!

Boooooo!
  • Options
    Glenn's been poorly ick (injury thread refers-inst).

If he comes and visit be sure to be nice to him.

I'll add him to my "crocked" list.

(Mmmm spreadsheet might be in order here)

Wee Piglet. Go and see Ron Grover. He's handy with a video recorder IYKWIMAITYD

;-)

Bagsy first watch!!
  • Options
    All bets are off with anything to do with Elland Road at the moment JJ!!
  • Options
    OK, for the last time today

FLM

JJ
    Wee Piglet
    Helen Wheels
    Ironwolf
    Benz

Crocked

Helen Wheels
    Meerkat
    Wee Piglet
    Glenn (poorly ick)
    LUFC (terminal)

Missing, presumed working

Redhead
    LizzyB
    Everard.
    Bilious
  • Options
    No Chimp - they will win 3-0 in normal time.
    Smith and Kewell to score with a Gillingham og too.

What odds do you give me?

SR
  • Options
    Where am I on your list?
  • Options
    Ignoring all references to f**tb*ll for now.

WP, did you hear on the news about the great piglet heist? Apparently about £40,000 worth of piglet were rustled on the eve of Chinese New Year, and suckling pig is a traditional delicacy at this time. There is a suggestion that the senior police officers attending some of the celebrations may have eaten the evidence.

Obviously they only wanted piglets with four good trotters.

My good news is that she of the cruel thumbs has attacked my leg and knee with vigour today, and suggests I might like to try a gentle run on Wednesday, "but take the return taxi fare with you" and maybe another gentle run at the weekend if Ron the pod agrees.

I'm trying to work out how 'gentle' it needs to be to clock up 25 miles by Sunday evening...

Nevertheless I now have some hope again, so am back to smiling :-)

Good luck to all the other crocks and sniffs.
  • Options
    Helen - did you get into the Moonwalk Marathon in the end?

SR
  • Options
    Don't know yet, still waiting to hear. It's in my diary just in case
  • Options
    Hello People,

Here's an interesting newspaper story I read on the guitar NG...

==============
    WANTED FOR ATTEMPTED MURDER (The actual AP headline)

Linda Burnett, 23, was visiting her inlaws, and while there went to a nearby supermarket to pick up some groceries. Several people noticed her sitting in her car with the windows rolled up and with her eyes closed, with both hands behind the back of her head.

One customer who had been at the store for a while became concerned and walked over to the car. He noticed that Linda's eyes were now open, and she looked very strange. He asked her if she was okay, and Linda replied that she'd been shot in the back of the head, and had been holding her brains in for over an hour.

The man called the paramedics, who broke into the car because the doors were locked and Linda refused to remove her hands from her head. When they finally got in, they found that Linda had a wad of bread dough on the back of her head.

A Pillsbury biscuit canister had exploded from the heat, making a loud noise that sounded like a gunshot, and the wad of dough hit her in the back of her head. When she reached back to find out what it was, she felt the dough and thought it was her brains. She initially passed out, but quickly recovered and tried to hold her brains in for over an hour until someone noticed and came to her aid.
    =============

skip skip thump
    Cool! :-)
  • Options
    WP, how's your leg?
  • Options
    I see Chimp is bored and has escaped to explore some other threads...
  • Options
    Its been a while since I made any unwanted and inappropriate contributions.

Just dont want people to think I'm going soft in my old age.

Be fair Helen. At least its not the Wild Grover's

:-)
  • Options
    I was laughing - honest!

Why does everyone take me so seriously.... :-(
  • Options
    That's funny.

Helen W. Encouraging news about restarting.

Chimp. The Gills get a lot of support (sympathy vote?) round here because they are the closest league club. A couple of years ago when they were on the up they canvassed support for raising money through some sort of bond issue and were surprised when no-one thought it a good investment. Too many people in the South East work in the City to be taken in by that one.
    See Leeds shares were quoted at 4p last week. Someone's overvaluing your lot.
    JJ
  • Options
    I'm only joking too Helen.

Know you're a pussy cat really

• Options
    Helen - my leg feels much better this evening, thanks :) I went to the physio this afternoon, and he says it's only a little tear. He's told me to stay on the crutches (despite feeling a bit of a prat) for several days to rest my leg, and he's given me a wobble board to play with under the table! :)

How did you hurt your knee?
  • Options
    Chimp, old thing. Here's a wee jokey for you :-)
    ===========

... One day in the jungle a chimpanzee invented some tools to eat his dinner. One tool was a flat stick sharpened along one edge, this he used to cut his food. The other was a stick with four smaller sticks attached to the end, each sharpened to a point which Chimp used to spear his food and place it in his mouth. Chimp was very proud of his inventions, which he called his one point tool and his four point tool.

One day Chimp awoke to find that the four point tool was missing. Chimp was distraught. He ran around the jungle trying to find his precious tool. First he came upon the lion.
    "Lion, Lion!" he cried, "Have you seen my four point tool?"
    "No." Replied the lion, "I have not seen your four point tool."

Then the chimp came upon the gorilla.
    "Gorilla, Gorilla!" he cried, "Have you seen my four point tool?"
    "No." Replied the gorilla, "I have not seen your four point tool."

Then the chimp came upon the jaguar.
    "Jaguar, Jaguar!" he cried, "Have you seen my four point tool?"
    "Yup!" replied the jaguar, "I've seen your four point tool."
    "Well where is it?" inquired the chimp.
    "I ate it." Said the jaguar, smugly.

"Why would you do that?" Cried the chimp.

"Because," replied the big cat, "I'm a four point tool eater jaguar!"

Hahahahahahahaahhhaaa!!!

<piglet skips, dizzily>
    skip skip thump skip
  • Options
    Not sure I should post here lest I be accused of being "mature". But anyway, good to hear the news re the trotter, Piglet.

*dashes off to start "vainly clinging to last vestiges of youth" thread.....*
  • Options
    Thank you, Swerve :)

Not to worry... there's very little rampant maturity abroad on this thread. Just me, really, struggling hard against the tide of silliness.
  • Options
    Piglet - good news! But do as you're told please and don't rush it.
  • Options
    For Meerkat and Piglet - the story of the knee.. more of a 'saga' really, as befits the thread :-)

Building up 10% per week from nothing, feeling good (ish) due to run 9.5 miles on the Sunday, I went looking for the running club and couldn't find them. So after half an hour of running around the park decided to follow part of the half marathon route as a recce for last Sunday. Bumped into the runners who were due (I thought) to do 12 miles. Agreed to trot along with them up to 10 miles then walk the rest. Well, apparently they did the whole of the half route (Watford, hilly), and I towed in at the back, struggling (a lot!) As I had already done a couple of miles before I found them, I reckon I did about 14.

As my osteopath put it, "it probably wasn't the 14 when you should have done 9, it probably wasn't the 3 of speedwork on the Tuesday, but running 5 on the Wednesday without a rest day, (significant pause) at your age...

You've heard of micro-tears in muscles?

This appears to have been rather a lot of tears, and not so micro, in rather a lot of muscles, radiating out from my knee, nearly recovered now after two weeks of rest, only one muscle still hurts. Ron the pod has identified why it's always the same knee, so the load should be spread a bit better from tomorrow. Yippee, and planning to take it a bit easier for a couple of days.

Moral of story - if over 40, act your age, if only when running...
  • Options
    Helen - Much sympathy :-( You're *so* right... I'm going to be much more careful now.

Ironwolf - I'll be good and patient :)
  • Options
    It's amazing how us 'mature' runners dispense advice which we don't practice.

Going to the physio tomorrow for the first time. I'm stepping up the training and although I've no injuries so far, my legs keep feeling very stiff and tired. So will try a sports massage weekly to see if increases recovery rate and allows more and better training. Prophylactic measure really.
    JJ
  • Options
    Thanks WP, any idea how long before you can run again?
  • Options
    JJ whether it works or not, you'll feel good, so go for it :-)