Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options

Leg's ok today, fingers crossed it will still be after Sunday's half-marathon. John is boarding a Lufthansa flight late Sunday night and will arrive (if on schedule) at Frankfurt around 05:30am Monday. I will take the dogs up to collect him.

Continuing on with my state of run-down-ness today I look like I''ve been on the booze for a week, my eyes are sore and one is very bloodshot, but I haven't even had a glass of wine since January!  Either it's spring allergies or a reaction to an enforced change in my medicine. I find it enraging that I am on prescribed medicine, pay nearly 800 euros a month for my required health insurance and yet same health insurance company now refuses to allow me to take the cholesterol pills I've been on for 3 years. The chemist had to give me an alternative cheaper version.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - thanks for the advice, which I shall definitely follow. 

Fairy wings would make it easy for me to find you before the start!

I hope you left Arrow fm (whoever they are) in no doubt as to the fact that there are lots of over-50s running fast and long and strong.

IW - would the chemist be able to advise you whether the change to cheaper pills could account for the sore eyes etc.? - in other words, is it really just a cheaper version or is there a significant difference?  

• Options

Many thanks to you all for your good wishes for my Brother in Law. I will let him know that he is being thought of and prayed for by my good forum friends. It does help to know that I have such good people supporting me!

Today, I did a recovery run of 5.5 miles. The wind was less strong, but still cold.

Tone, well done on your marathon training and adhering to the schedule. I'm sure you will go sub 3.15.

JJ, I enjoyed watching the mad cycle run. The riders must be suicidal to attempt such a crazy course. I'm sure there must be lots of injuries. It appeared to be downhill the whole way, so they must have got up to crazy speeds. There is no way that I would attempt such a dangerous race!

• Options
    And John's next younger brother lives in Japan, many of us have been emailing, texting, and posting on Facebook, so far he hasn't answered anyone. We're hoping he was far enough inland not to have been caught in this awful catastrophe. Unfortunately none of us really have an idea where exactly Jeff lives, but hopefully he and his wife are ok, I do know that his house is quite high up on a mountain but only have a vague idea where it is, somewhere south of Tokio.
  • Options

You are all posting as fast as you run, I can't keep up with you.

Back from Brum Monday, no running there. Foot is fine, did club session Tuesday, 3 miles threshold yesterday and 16.77 miles in 200minutes today ave 11:55, Had to cut it short to get my brother(b1925) to his doctor.

Good luck with your Marathon training. Hope to see you at Excel.

• Options

Morning all.Yes,absolutely shocking news from Japan.We had the Christchurch earthquake and luckly I have no relatives in that part of NZ.Japan,Like NZ is on many fault lines.As a youngster in New Zealand we just got used to earthquakes and hoped we would never experience a big one.My brother and his partner and son live south of Christchurch and felt the quake,however, they were too far down.

Hope those of you with friends,relatives in Japan get good news soon!

Working this morning and will go for a race pace run later.Also working tomorrow but wll get in another long run. 

• Options

Have had an email reply from Jeff saying he is fine but his wife is in Sendai. the area where the tsunami hit, she has sent him a message that she is alive, thank God.

• Options

Just did an easy 5 and was thinking how lucky I am. Went past French boys fishing complete with bottles of wine (9am this is) a balloon went over and the mountains reflected in the lake. Was laying down a tape to replay for the 18 on Monday.

Hope all well this weekend for lsrunners, racers and all. 

xxxx

• Options

Had time to read thro. Best wishes to BiL TE.

No run today. 9 miles with 3 fast(ish) tomorrow if all goes well. Then West Ham for the Cup on telly.

• Options

IW, great news that your relatives are ok.

Digit, thanks, Alan is making good progress, but will have to give another bone marrow sample in a couple of weeks.

Did a 6.71 mile run this afternoon, which started cross country and then onto trails. Everywhere still very wet and muddy and I took a few photo's. I will attempt to post them on here, once I have uploaded them onto my computer.

My 10k race is a week Sunday, so next week will be "an easy one," except for one 9 min. speed session on Monday.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

IW - that must have been a great relief for Jeff, to hear from his wife so near the affected area.

Red - I did as advised and ran 7-ish miles. Took me exactly an hour and a half. Usually I start from my front door but this time I set off in town. I found I had left my stop-watch at home so timing was done via ordinary watch. 10 minutes into the run, realised I had left my water-bottle behind in the car.  (It is Alzheimer's you're running for, isn't it? image). Debated whether to go back for it but decided I would just manage without. Managed not to die of dehydration. 

TE - I look forward to the photos. 

• Options
    Hope all well with relatives in Japan, shocking piccies on the Andrew Marr show on TV now!

Won "Letter of the Month" in the April "Running Fitness" magazine so chuffed to win Brooks Running Jacket and Brooks Running Shoes! That was worth doing and the April edition is a brilliant read - all about final preparations for marathon training and recovery! I hate to say it but RW gets worse month on month (in my opinion of course!)

Terry - Hope Alan continues to 'fight' and take it easy before Exbury next weekend!
  • Options

Am getting concerned about my state of health now, after today "running" a terrible personal worst race, it hurt and I had a bad headache all the way round. Got passed by a couple of walkers too, plus probably the first 30 or so finishers in the full marathon, the winner went past me when I still had 4km to go. A sensible person would have used some sense and bailed out before getting too far into the race, but I kept thinking this can't get any worse. It did. If I don't feel better at the end of the week, I may pull out of Brighton, there's no point in dragging myself round just to do it if I'm not well. Depressing.

• Options
    JJ - Great effort, well done!

IW - Really sorry to hear about your run and health! I ran the 2002 New York Marathon unwell and it took 4 hrs, 30 minutes - 1 hr and 15 minutes slower than my average! If you have any doubts about Brighton, I would certainly suggest you consider whether it's worth running! It may harm future running and races! Take some time to decide though!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

10 miles yesterday and 20 of the hilliest miles around today. I won't even pretend it was easy but I did it and that's my last 20 miler before Brighton, phew image

Tony, congrats on winning letter of the month! We forumites like to get into there whenever possible image

JJ, you speedy person you!

(((IW))), poor you. There's really something not right isn't there. Take care of yourself xxx

Terrible, terrible news still coming in from Japan. Glad all relatives accounted for on here. Makes me feel lucky to live in the UK.
  • Options

IW , hope you soon feel better, but don't risk the marathon if you are not 100%

I attach one of the photo's I took yesterday. If yo look carefully, you can see a cyclist whizzing down the hill. On the left is someone filming him. I don't know how it will come out on here, so just the one for starters. 

[/p]HPIM0113[/URL][/p  Sorry, it doesn't work.

• Options

((IW)) you are having a tough time. Hope you can get to the bottom of it soon.Glad you will have John back soon for support.

TE, as I've been away from the thread a while, only just read about your BiL and add my good wishes and thoughts for his recovery. I'm glad to read that he seems to be doing well with his treatment,

Well done Red on completing your 20.

So glad that forumites relatives in Japan appear to be safe and accounted for - the scale of the disaster is shocking. I was struck by the interview with the chap who kept pinching his cheek  as he couldn't believe what had happened was real.

Sorry other posters - memory as bad as Columba's. I read with interest, then forgot. May look back again.

Lovely Spring-like weather today, and enjoyed my 10 miles across the forest.

• Options

ah yes - stunning times from kiwi, and a good long run from DiGiT

JJ's training seems to be progressing well.

Ceridwen, I had  a period of falling over reasonably regularly and became very nervous of running, particicularly on road/pavement which is unforgiving. Can you run on grass somewhere, as it might give you some confidence to know if you DID fall the landing would be softer.

• Options

Hi, due to work commitments this weekend not a lot of time for posting , and i'll have to read back later.

Managed 5 miles yesterday and another 7 tonight after work, but i have to say they were laboured miles, i'm feeling jaded.

I shall have to give this working caper the boot  one of these days, training for a marathon and work don't go together.

• Options

Morning all

Great running JJ. I also did 18.6 miles yesterday.Penultimate long run before London.The last 2 miles were at 10k pace for a fast finish long run.

Not to worry Ironwolf.It happens.You could be sickening for something .I still know of people who have had to take a week or so off ,got right and still run and got a PB.Hope you can do Brighton,however nearer the time if you are not right it would be a sensible and brave decision not to run it.Frustrating I know ,but you have to listen to your body.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

3 miles earlyish in hard frost and brilliant sunshine.

Both frost and sunshine have now gone. 

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

3 mile recovery run for me today. I'm always amazed that my leggies can do that after a 20 mile LSR!

Columba, thanks very much it was very kind of you. Easy as you go now please, we need all of our energy for Hastings image

JJ, I hope that all my training does pay off but I'm still feeling demotivated from my poor showing at TWells.

OT, it's that time in your marathon schedule where you do start to feel jaded. Nearly taper time so just keep going or as Mr Churchill used to say "KBO!" (that's keep b*ggering, on in case you don't know).
  • Options

Dear All - Sorry to hear some folk are either injured, tired or just feeling fed up ahead of the Brighton Marathon and/or other Spring Marathons!   I feel equally tired and am often reading in bed by 9pm during the week!   Not sure Mrs H is overly impressed but at least the end is in sight for us all!

Will enjoy use of my prizes from Running Fitness Magazine after Brighton!  

Hang in there everyone!   We're nearly done - yawning as he types this!