Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options

Diana, thanks for your good wishes!  Alan is making good progress and this afternoon, he was even able to potter around in the garden.

Tone, congrats. on your "Star Letter" in RF. You are getting quite an expert at winning sports equipment.

Did a 9 min session on grass this afternoon, comprising 50 yds flat out, 50 yds return hard for the full 9 mins. A great session for waking up the fast twitch fibres, prior to a race. I read about this session many years ago in one of the monthly mags. and have used it from time to time before races. The advice was not to do it too often, as done properly, "takes it out of you."

• Options

Good evening all.

U-IW - Hope you are back to normal speed quickly.  Sorry that you are struggling.  Take care.

Red - You are one of the strongest runners I know.  Awesome effort.

Have a good night.

• Options

Morgen All!

I see the 2012 Olympic Tickets go on sale today!   As this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, I'm going to apply for tickets for the evening session in the Olympic Stadium on Sat 4th Aug (to see the final events of the heptathlon, Mens 10,000m final, Ladies 200m final and others) and will overnight in London to watch the womens marathon on Sun 5th Aug.   I've gone for the cheapest tickets but it will still be an expensive weekend but I (and the family) may see some British winners?

Anyone else going to apply?

• Options

Thats a good choice Tony...think I am going to go for that option, was looking at a later date but it was more ceremonies than events.

And yes well done on your shoe win from RF...still don't agree with  the content though  image

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

I understand the Olympic tickets for oversubscribed events are being assigned randomly rather than first come first served. 

20 minutes swimming this morning. 

• Options

Columba - Yes, that's right!   It will be interesting to see how successful folk are with getting the tickets they order!

Dips - Yes, Saturday night in the Olympic Stadium could see Jess Ennis pick up gold in the heptathlon and Mo Farah doing good in the 10,000 and then perhaps Paula doing something good in the marathon the following day!   That's my thinking anyway so will submit the application tonight after work.

Ran 10K today but felt really tired, it was also 19C and very sunny so that was a shock to the system!   I'm looking forward to getting the longest long run (22 miles) out of the way this weekend before the taper!  

IW - How are you feeling today?   Any thoughts on Brighton?   Keep smiling!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

It's a glorious day down here in East Sussex! Intervals planned for later this afternoon as I've only just finished my boring work stuff so am off to play in the garden for a couple of hours first image

Columba, swimming hey. I can feel a duathlon coming on......... Hope you're resting those legs.
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red - absolutely no duathlon coming on. I swim very slowly and sedately; just makes a change from running. Elder daughter does tris and duas, though; all being well, she will be at Hastings to wave us off and welcome us back.

I played in the garden a bit on Sunday; but today have been trying to get last two reports out of the way. Not very inviting in the garden anyway; grey and cold. 

• Options

TH, congratulations on your letter of the week, interesting you definitely have more marathon experience than me, although i car'nt agree with the 22 mile distance. Consolidating your training with 20 miles x 2 or perhaps 3 for me is ideal, not sure what the other 2 miles will achieve.Don't take offence, each to their own.

JJ, good luck with your ticket application, i'm settling for watching the olympics on TV.

Put in 10 miles this afternoon in the fog, i went looking for hills and as the fog was at its worst on high i began to regret the idea, but fortunately i have lived to tell the tale. And talking of 20 milers i've got East Hull 20 mile race this sunday.

• Options
    Tony, I was still feeling tired yesterday, went to swim training and swam conservatively, completing only 2600m of the 3600m plan set up by our trainer for last night and eliminating the speed work intervals. I did actually swim better as time went on. I have my last scheduled LSR next weekend, I will see how that goes. As I have my flight booked and am staying with my brother and his family I will fly over anyway, even if I don't run. If I can run reasonably well by the end of the week I will probably decide to do the race - I'm not expecting a good time now so if I do run it will be only to complete it and enjoy being a part of the experience.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

It's very foggy here this morning but it doesn't matter as I'm not running until lunchtime. It's a very exciting day today as we're having our stair and landing carpeted which means we have nearly finished renovating our house. I've just got some wallpapering to do in the lobby and hallway and then that's it and no doubt we'll start re-doing things all over again image
  • Options

OT - Thanks.   I know exactly what you mean about running 22 miles in training 3 weeks before a marathon but I'll give it a go as it's worked in the past for me but I also realise that this will not work for everyone.   My schedule after this weekend suggests I run 18 miles next week (2 weeks before the marathon) and then 12 miles the week before the marathon.   I'm not convinced that I need to or want to run 18 miles just 2 weeks before!   What does everyone think?

IW - Good luck with all that and hope to see you in Brighton - be it running or spectating!

All - 2012 Olympic Ticket application submitted last night - Hope to see the athletics evening session on Sat 4th Aug (hopefully featuring Jess Ennis) and then the women's marathon on the next day.   As for the rest, I'll rely on the BBC!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Tony, no way to 18 miles so close to the marathon. I really can't see any benefit in doing 12 the week before either. Rest is very important at this late stage IMHO.

IW, sorry, I forgot to say I hope that you do still come over so I can meet you at last.
  • Options

Hi y'all.

All the best for Sun Columba and Redhead have a blast.

Am in a hole at moment. Tried twice to do 18 and blew it both times. Purely mental. Just the 'cant do its' then the weeps back to the car. Its a busy road the only flatish bit near with no room really to run and its hot but no excuses. Think I'll just do something else tomorrow and try again on Fri. I really need to do it and a 20 soon. 

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Chris, don't give up! Find yourself a quieter route, even if it's a hilly one and just take your time. Perhaps trying something a little shorter might help restore your confidence? Even if you don't manage a 20 you'll still get round VLM so please don't beat yourself up about it. Plus, it's getting rather close to the big day to be pushing for a 20 and you could end up doing more harm than good as you need lots of time to recover. Good luck xxx
  • Options
    thanks a million. Going to give it a go on Fri off piste. May just leave out measuring and just keep going for 5 hours. MrS threatening to accompany on bike so happily attention will be on him not conking out! Ive still got 4 and a half weeks and Kingston on the 27th. then that is definitely that whatever.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Chris, please don't attempt to run for 5 hours as it will stress your body too much. 4 hours is the absolute maximum I'd suggest. Some people even say that you shouldn't do more that 3.5 hours but I'd never get round my hilly 20 mile routes in that time! You take care now.
  • Options

ok. Just a bit panicked as its going to be 5 and half/ 6 on the day. Will walk/run as necessary.

good luck Sun

xx

• Options

Red - Thanks, I'll stick with your advice and won't run 18 just 2 weeks before the Brighton Marathon.

Chris - Agree with Red, hang in there - you really don't need to do more than 4 hours.   Good luck!

• Options

TH, for what its worth my running schedule asks for 15 miles  two weeks before and 8 miles the week before. I'm happy with the 8, but the 15 i dunno, i may trim back to 13 miles.

I quite happy with my preparartions, i feeling, in good shape , i've lost a stone and a half, me trousers are looking as though they belong to someone else, and i have dug out some jeans and trousers that a size smaller which i've had on stock from the last organised london training effort in 2007.

Running club tonight and looking for a tempo run with like minded club runner.

• Options

OT, good luck with your 20 miler at the weekend.

Tone, I would certainly not recommend that you run the 18 miles two weeks before the marathon. You already have ample miles in the bank, and don't want a last minute over use injury.

A very warm day today, and I ran a relaxed 4.5 miles.

• Options

After 16+ on Friday did 9 on Sunday with 3 at 10:15 pace. Club last night in honour of 500 days to olympics we did 500 minutes twice trying to equal or better the first distance then repeated with 600 minutes. Went 1350 first then 1400metres. nearly 3 laps for 600 minutes.

Had intended to do 20 miles today but thought better of it. Instead did 10 Yasso 800s. B--dy Garmin seized up again so no complete record, but did 4:38 then several around 4:32, last few faster 4:28, 4:24, last one 4:20. Average about 4:30. I started at 1 minute recoveries but decided to extend it to 1:30. Is this cheating?

Will attempt 20 on Monday as am busy at weekend (London Orchid Show)

JJ what pace should I start a marathon at?

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Chris - thanks for your good wishes.  I'm just reaching the "what on earth have I let myself in for?" stage.  All the best for you, - I'm sure JJ and Red are right. We are supposed to be enjoying this running business, after all. 

Shudder, shudder at JJ's mountain run. 

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Dreary, drizzly day here but perfect for running and a visit from the farrier for the ladies.

Columba, the forecast for Sunday looks good so far so we'll be having fun. You have nothing to fear as your training has been really good and it's a great 1/2 to cut your teeth on image

JJ, yikes, that's one heck of a mountain path!
  • Options

Tony and others who are unsure about long runs nearer marathon, episode 61 of marathon talk, the 2nd half of Lemoncello's inteview gives reference to time of feet etc and some interesting stuff from Tom and Martin.  Don't advise Liz Yellings' 20 mile tempo run though!!  image

Definately wouldn't do 18 and 12 in the two lead up weeks,  I think I am doing 13 and 8 but never really worry what I do on the final 'long' run day..might be a slightly faster 5 miler instead of 8.

What us 'mature' runners have to remember is..we can't replicate the miles of those younger than us!! image Just cos something works when you are 30 doesn't mean to say it will work 20 years on...opps, <steps quietly down off soap box> image

• Options

We also can't replicate the speed - unless we're JJ!

Crap day at work, am rating job applications and have to somehow tell my very nice very helpful assistant she doesn't qualify for this promotion based on the poor resume she submitted. I know she could do the job, but her resume doesn't support it and it's more than my life's worth to qualify her and then have to defend my decision to the manager for whom I'm recruiting when he asks how in the world did I qualify this applicant for his job.